4.0 out of 5 stars Not "Rome II", but doesn't need to be (CD review)
Published on May 3, 2012 by A customer

(3 & 1/2 stars)

Published on May 1, 2012 by William Merrill

4.0 out of 5 stars Not "Rome II", but doesn't need to be (CD review), May 3, 2012
A customer (North America) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Little Broken Hearts (Audio CD)
For fans wanting more from last year's Rome, which was an interesting soundtrack concept album for a fictitious 1970's-era Italian movie (honest!), by Danger Mouse, Daniele Luppi, and Norah Jones, this ain't it. There are a few stylistic teases, and the collaboration partially returns with Danger Mouse's co-writing. But "Broken Hearts" comes across first and foremost as a Norah Jones album, and you get the sense she has now had her break out debut, played the field while sowing her musical oats, and is settling into a style she wants to define rather than the other way around.

This is a solid atmospheric effort that has grown on me. It is not straight up chill by any means, but many of the tracks can put you in a mellow groove as long as you listen to the music more than the lyrics (if "Broken Hearts" is a soundtrack about anything, it is for the story of a relationship's very bad end). Overall has a very vintage sound, but not an outdated one. I wish I had bought it on a LP as opposed to CD, I sometimes got the feeling it may have been mixed more with vinyl in mind.

Other reviewers may be giving the album knocks for not having super stand out tracks, and I agree, I don't see a lot of big hits coming off of this. But I'd still have to say this is her most complete package to date, even though many of the songs are short and you can listen through the entire CD rather quickly. "Out on the Road" and "She's 22" are the only songs I think I'll skip entirely, but it's interesting to wonder what double meaning might exist when she sings on one "I'm holding on to a thing that's wrong...but you like my songs and made me happy". She doesn't sound too happy on "Miriam", a beautifully melodic but lyrically vicious little song that will make you question whether that is a tear drop or a drop of blood on the front cover.

Any detractions based on a comparison to "Rome" would be unfair for a couple of reasons. One, although many may have wanted a "Rome II" with more Norah on it (I know I did), I don't think now that is what she set off to do despite me being fooled by the Italian movie inspired cover and Danger Mouse co-credits. But secondly, "Rome" was really more Luppi's baby than anyone elses. Until Norah decides to pair with him in the future (hint hint), probably the closest we will get would be the more funky, less chill instrumental version in An Italian Story (US Release). She does throw in enough film-noir inspired riffs here and there, and "Take it Back" sounds very similar to Rome's "Black" in parts (her favorite song from that album).

Musicianship is solid, her voice is great as always, and any production being done is for style and not a cover up ("Say Goodbye" for example is reminiscent of The Mating Game). While I don't think "Broken Hearts" will be a breakup album for her current fans, the lyrics do make it sound like she is ready to move on from some people she is no longer interested in trying to please.

In the end I think there is enough here for her traditional audience to like while she attempts to build a new one. Interestingly, or just coincidence, is that she released the album on May 1st (May-Day). A jilted lover's desperate last call for help, or a celebration of the spring festival of new beginings?

In eco-friendly packaging, contains a fold out poster with a picture of the album cover on one side and the lyrics on the other.

5.0 out of 5 stars FINALLY! The album I have been waitng for from this beautiful soul., September 26, 2012
This review is from: Little Broken Hearts (Audio CD)
Norah Jones new album is an utter masterpiece to me. It is what "Rubber Soul" was to the Beatles; a complete change up in musical direction for the better. I've always respected Norah for her talent and unique voice but I could never find myself being deeply devoted to her albums until I heard this masterpiece. While I enjoyed her first two albums, the farthest I could ever go as far as listening to them is to just check her out occasionally. This is due to the slow tempo of her early work. In other words, I can't see myself listening to Norah Jones on my way to work or as i go on my daily jog because her music was too slow for me. The only time i could listen to her is when I was reading my morning paper and having my coffee in the morning. Before this album came out I always said to myself, "One day this girl has to make an album that rocks." Finally! It has come.

I came about hearing this new material when I was at the the Outside Lands Festival in San Francisco 2012. I went to see Norah perform telling myself, "I'll listen to 4 songs and then go to another show because I know she tends to be a little mellow." Mind you, Metallica and Stevie Wonder were also performing and they were more of the energy I was looking for but when I went to see Norah...SHE COMPLETELY ROCKED THE HOUSE!!!

First she started off her show with the classics from her first two albums then she declared, "We're going to perform some songs from my new album...produced by Danger Mouse." I thought to myself, "Danger Mouse? That guy is an amazing producer and one of the last good hip-hop artist around (contemporary hip-hop is a disgrace to music and poetry). Loved his album with MF DOOM. Can it be? Is Norah going to rock the house?" She opened up the new set with "Say Good Bye" and I was completely rocked out of this world. I was so moved by the music that I wrote down the lyrics to "Broken Little Hearts" and told myself I had to check this new album out.

I told everybody how amazed I was with Norah's new stuff and that it sounded like I was listening to The Doors but with Norah's voice. I was completely breath taken by her new stuff. When I went online to check out the new album I purchased it immediately. She finally did it. She made an album for my kind of crowd. I always respected Norah for her voice but like I said I couldn't get into her like I wanted to because I needed something with more rhythm and edge. I love jazz but I'm not into country so I couldn't get into the albums when she delved into the country side of things but "Broken Little Hearts" is revolutionary in my eyes. It shows her range as an artist and has made me revisit her earlier work with more appreciation. It an industry that is plagued by hacks like Lil' Wayne and Britney Spears "Little Broken Hearts" is a breathe of fresh air and I love it. It sounds so surreal and as stated before reminds me of the Doors but with a female spin on things.

My favorite songs are "Say Goodbye, Happy Pills, After the fall, Broken Little Hearts, All a Dream, and Miriam."

Thank you Norah. Thank you for making an album for me and expanding your horizons...I look forward to your next album. You really are a true artist in the spirit of the Beatles, Stevie Wonder, Sade, Michael Jackson etc. etc.

I also recommend her album "Featuring" as well

4.0 out of 5 stars Different Style - Change is hard for some folks, May 1, 2012
This review is from: Little Broken Hearts (Audio CD)
I thought it was a good album and enjoyed most of her tracks. Something different Norah chose to do and I tip my hat to her. Has a vintage sound to it especially on her vocals and the overall ambiance of the record. I think if you are a Norah Jones fan and don't restrain Artists to a limited little box you will enjoy it as well. Grows on you. Give it a chance..

3.0 out of 5 stars Positive elements can't overcome the songwriting's general blandness, May 1, 2012
(3 & 1/2 stars)

I always enjoy Norah Jones' singing, and I like what producer Danger Mouse, a.k.a. Brian Burton, has done with her sound on Little Broken Hearts. However, only three songs on the album really stand out for me: "Good Morning," "Say Goodbye" and "Out on the Road." The rest of the material has a sort of ho-hum quality that always threatened to move it into the background of whatever I was doing as I listened. Still, Burton deserves credit for an excellently produced album. He added little subtle bells and whistles that spice up the sound, plus some equally artful adjustments to the vocals (a hint of reverb here, a smidge of double-tracking there). The musicianship is also quite good throughout, including Ms Jones' own work on keys and guitar. Ultimately, though, what undermined my pleasure with Little Broken Hearts was that so many of the songs, all co-written by Jones & Burton, are completely unmemorable. Perhaps Norah is suffering a bit from "Ryan Adams Over-Productivity Syndrome." Maybe with all of her side projects (Little Willies, the Rome album, her acting), the focus on her own solo work was diluted. Whatever the reason, this new album is very nice-sounding but otherwise undistinguished.

3.0 out of 5 stars Break up album a little too much, May 20, 2012
This review is from: Little Broken Hearts (Audio CD)
I'm a pretty big fan of Norah Jones, partly because she's been writing her own songs instead of hashing out old standards like a lot of other jazz singers. She's also ventured into pop and mainstream categories and that's all for the good. I liked "the Fall" because of the aforementioned reasons, and good solid songwriting to boot. This album has been billed as a break up album and it sounds every bit of it. To me, it gets a little hard to appreciate for this reason, as it feels like every song is personally for her, and about her life, and I feel a lot of an album's appeal comes from you, the listener, being able to relate to it. I get and can appreciate songs of loss, heartache, pain and personal perseverance, but this album feels like I'm looking at Norah's life at the time, rather than being able to absorb the material personally. Also, all the songs are about some aspect of breaking up, which for me also gets a little tired. Others may feel differently.

Musically also, the songs are just ok. Some of the chorus and bridge progressions get a little tired, but overall a fairly solid effort. I wouldn't call the album groundbreaking musically, more of a succession from past material. 3/5 stars

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing!, November 16, 2012
This review is from: Little Broken Hearts (Audio CD)
I like Norah Jones. A lot. This album was crushingly disappointing. Severely over-processed tracks over-ride her really stellar voice. I couldn't get my teeth into any song except the ninth track and that's because it had a beat.
I'm glad I listened to it before buying it.
She really doesn't need all the background crud to get a message across. the music got totally in the way.

5.0 out of 5 stars Some of the songs on this album are dark, but I like it., May 1, 2012
This review is from: Little Broken Hearts (Audio CD)
Some of the songs on "Little Broken Hearts" are dark. I like the fact that Norah is expressing darker themes in her music. My favorite track is "Miriam". This song is about addressing a cheating husband's lover. It is also about the dark violent thoughts expressed by a wife when she learns of the infidelity. The title song "Little Broken Hearts" is a song with an excellent beat. This is a song about taking revenge after being wronged. "Say Goodbye" has a cheeky sensual tone to it. This is a break up song without the the usual tone of regret. "Happy Pills" is a similar song in theme to "Say Goodbye". This song is about feeling liberated after a break up. "After The Fall" is an opposite song in tone to the "Happy Pills" This song is about the feelings that a person carries after a relationship ends. "Out On The Road" is a song about the freedom of the open road. "4 Broken Hearts" is a song about how difficult it is to remain faithful in a romantic relationship. I love the slow tempo of this song. "Take It Back" is a song that I did not analyze too much. This song simply has a soothing quality that I enjoy very much. The deep sound of the cello makes this song special. "She's 22" is a song about relinquishing feelings about someone in a relationship in a younger woman. "All A Dream" is a song that would make a good poem. This song conjures up poetic images of trees and the moon. "Good Morning" is a beautiful song about a failed relationship. This song sounds very relaxing. The new music on "Little Broken Hearts" is superb. I like this album very much.

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed, May 8, 2012
This review is from: Little Broken Hearts (Audio CD)
The problem with Norah's new CD is that the music is boring. Her old stuff had catchy melodies and was produced well. After listening to this CD, no song jumps out. There are no melodies that catch your attention.
Every musician has the right to experiment. But I don't think Norah's experimentation has produced anything worthwhile. Regardless of what kind of music a person does, it has to be GOOD. There has to be a reason to keep people coming back and listening. I don't like her new stuff. The songs have nothing to draw you in. The production gets in the way of the music. Very disappointed.

2.0 out of 5 stars Love Norah...but this is BAD coffee house music., May 29, 2012
Timmy D. (Whitehall, PA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Little Broken Hearts (Audio CD)
I love Norah Jones to death just like the next guy...but MAN, this is like sitting in a torture chamber coffee house listening to some really bad, boring songs. I'd rate this a "1 star" if it wasn't for the fact that it IS Norah Jones & she has an amazing vocal style. Be honest, if this was the first album she put out 10 years ago...nobody would even know who she is right now. Would have been swept under the rug unfortunately.

Other than the fact that it's called "Good Morning", the first song is no way to jump start an album...maybe an ender...should have called it "Good Night". The second song "Goodbye" is about as close to "upbeat" as the album gets. Unfortunately, it's mired in a stupendiously annoying musical tinkling that is simply annoying & repetitive..."Da da da dat, duh duh dat, duh duh dat, duh duh dat"...grating. The rest range from mediocre to poor...pretty much mundane, repetitive, unmemorable, lacking hooks & most criminally, boring. This gal is gold...but this album isn't.

Semi-decent cuts..."After The Fall" a Chris Issak-esque tune. "Happy Pills"...as close to "peppy" as this album gets. "Little Broken Hearts"...a moody, semi-kinda cool deal.

Now maybe if you were at some shady bar at 1 AM, with this droning on in the background...you could kinda dig it. But only as background music. Or maybe if you were trying to sleep one off...could be good. It's so disappointing cause this woman has got the chops to rule the music world...and all you are left with on this one is droning, dirge-like mush. Did I mention that I love Norah Jones? I don't get it. Would I see her "live", sure. Would I love to see her act more, sure. But this train went down the wrong track for me.

As for the album cover...genius! I mistakenly took the recreation of Russ Meyer's "Mudhoney" to mean this album would be like an indie spitfire....not the snoozefest it is. Amazingly GREAT cover...too bad it doesn't translate to the music within.

Time to lose this Danger Mouse cat. Cut him loose on somebody else man. Sorry dude, but this ain't cuttin' it brutha. An experiment gone WAY wrong. I've listened to it a bunch & have TRIED to convince myself I like it but this platter is gonna go on my dust pile whilst I await something worthy of Norah's talent.

I have bought all but Norah's 1st album "sound unheard" without even sampling the goods before purchase. With some artists you don't question it...you just buy it because they rule! Guess I'll have to sample her stuff from now on...cause this one is a bummer.

2.0 out of 5 stars Why Norah????, May 5, 2012
This review is from: Little Broken Hearts (MP3 Music)
I never thought I would be disappointed by a Norah Jones cd. This one disappoints. her voice is magnificent as ever, her song choices not so much. I predict seeing this one going cheap soon. Wait a bit.

Little Broken Hearts
Little Broken Hearts by Norah Jones (Audio CD - 2012)
Rate and Discover Movies