I saw the blurb on this one and just could not resist. On occasion, I love quirky over the top story lines and this one decidedly fit the bill though later I'll mention how I kind of mistook the tone of the story.

Published on June 17, 2012 by Sophia Rose

2.0 out of 5 stars First of all I am not a fan of cheesy ...
First of all I am not a fan of cheesy romances, so I will just get that point out in the open. This book stereotypes men as sex crazy, and women as so sex starved they just can't resist men regardless. I found the book had no depth and was totally predictable. Not my cup of tea!
Published 4 months ago by mgintexas

4.0 out of 5 stars An Older Couple Get a Second Chance When They Are Brought Together By Circumstances, June 17, 2012
This review is from: A Little Bit of Deja Vu (Return to Redemption, Book 1) (Kindle Edition)

The story is about two generations of a father and his son and a mother and her daughter having events repeat themselves. Jake and Maggie had a youthful fling with consequences that, due to outside interference and their own youth, caused the paths of their lives to go down a much different road than they set out on. Nineteen years later, they discover that his son and her daughter are getting set to face a similar situation.

Jake is a former Pro football star who has been teaching and coaching at a high school in Pennsylvania. He has reared his son alone since he and his wife were divorced. On the outside he seems to have it altogether, but on the inside he is still confused and hurting from a short period of his life that occurred almost 20 years before when he fell for a young innocent girl who refused to marry him after he got her pregnant. Now that young girl is a woman who is the mother of the girl his son got pregnant and she wants nothing to do with him. Jake realizes that though he is bitter about the choice she made in the past, he has never stopped having feelings for her.

After almost 3 years of widowhood, Margie wants to get back into the game of life so takes a job as a reading specialist teacher that her cousin found for her. It is not long before she discovers that the guy who got her pregnant and then not long after married another woman not only lives in the same town, but teaches in the same school district. She is able to avoid him until a bizarre coincidence forces them together. Her daughter, Emma, falls for his son and they're expecting a child. Now Maggie is forced to work with Jake for the benefit of their children. Her emotions are so upended because even though she is still hurt that he didn't love her and married another gal, she still is attracted to him.

Alex and Emma have their own teen issues going on that force them to grow up fast. He is a star football prospect, but worries about living up to the expectation of being Rocket Mannion's son. He also must fend off a jealous guy and a girl who threatens to ruin what he has with Emma all while adjusting to a youthful marriage and fatherhood. Emma feels physically inadequate and cannot understand what Alex sees in her and will he still want her when she is big with child so she feels insecure and jealous.

So there was a lot going on in this story to say the least. When I read the blurb, I thought it would be a light read, but it wasn't because of the sad circumstances that drove Jake and Margie apart in the first place and were still affecting them and the realistic issues that Alex and Emma were facing too. I didn't mind having to change my perception of the book's tone and enjoyed what came.

The story is mainly about Jake and Margie, but a great deal of it also shifted to Alex and Emma which was fine because their stories are tied together as Jake, who is working on his doctoral thesis in teen psychology pointed out. Fortunately for Alex and Emma, they have two understanding and financially stable parents who can support them- while still making them do us much for themselves as they can to teach responsibility- so that they could still fulfill their dreams if they wished unlike what happened with Jake and Margie who just had to pick up the pieces with no understanding parents and go on in their separate lives.

As a reader, I worked out early on what had really happened in the past because I had the benefit of everyone's perception and thoughts. This had the advantage of making me very sympathetic to the sufferings of Jake and Margie even while I impatiently waited for the moment when all the secrets would be revealed. There were a few secrets that came as a complete surprise too. I was so ready for the big moment of revelation. I felt my own anger at the culprits and I was grateful that the author had already built in consequences for them (guess I've got some vindictiveness in me to be satisfied by that).

I really liked all four of the major characters and enjoyed watching them grow and triumph. I have a great appreciation for the author's talent in switching voices so well. Not everyone can pull off a middle aged man's point of view and turn around to do a young teen girl right behind it and then a middle aged woman and a teen aged boy. Amazing!

This book contains frank discussions about sex (Jake is a sex ed teacher and plans to counsel) and participation in that very activity. ;D It also hits on the touchy topic of abortion.

If you enjoy a story that is a little challenging on the emotions, slow developing with likeable characters while offering up some humor and 'ahhh' moments, give this one a try.

5.0 out of 5 stars Emotionally engaging read!, April 13, 2012
Another award winner from Laurie Kellogg. A little different than the traditional romance, Kellogg takes you on an emotional ride in her newest publication that deals with love, lust, emotionally devastating decisions and their ramifications. And yet, Kellogg proves once again that while life may never be what you envisioned, love makes it as near-to-perfect as you can get!

5.0 out of 5 stars A Little Bit Of Deja Vu, April 16, 2012
I was sent this book by the author for an honest review. In the past week i have read two of the best books ever, and they both have been by Laurie Kellogg. I love how Alex and Emma have their own story as well as Maggie and Jake. There were parts of this book that almost broke me down in tears, then in an instant i had a smile on my face. I love the way that she brings the characters to life. I will be recommending this book to everyone. Congratulations on another job very well done. I can't wait to read the next installment of life in Redemption.

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved It, June 15, 2012
I'm not big on leaving reviews....but this book was great! I couldn't put it down for one minute. I highly recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Another Great Story!, April 20, 2012
Nancy Devault (Woodburn, OR United States) - See all my reviews
Ms. Kellogg does it again! Another great story!

Margie Bradford is a reading specialist trying to move on with her life following her husband's death. When she encounters Rocket Manion, a former NFL quarterback who broke her heart years ago. Jack Manion is a divorced teacher and football coach whose son announces that he knocked up his girlfriend. The girl's mother happens to be Maggie, whom Rocket has been pissed off at for over 20 years. In the midst of wedding arrangements Rocket tries to rekindle their former relationship. And the fun begins...

I thoroughly enjoyed this story and could not put it down until I was done! I highly recommend you read it.

5.0 out of 5 stars A more accurate title . . ., June 25, 2012
. . . would have been 'Assumptions' but probably not as engaging as the one the author chose. Two things ran through my head while reading (and laughing) with the characters, the first being the definition of 'assume' that I always fall back on and a song made famous at a concert at Madison Square Gardens

Assume: to make an ass out of you and me! That's basically what the story hinges on and boy were there a lot of hinges!

The lyrics to "Having My Baby' by Paul Anka probably express the feelings in this book better than any words I could write.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome :), June 7, 2012
I recommend this book to everyone, it's really good! It has so many twists and its really amazing. I wish there were more books like this

5.0 out of 5 stars Another awesome book!, May 16, 2012
I've read two of Laurie Kellogg's books now and have loved them both! It was so refreshing in this book to see how Jake and Maggie's love lasted so long and after so many years apart. To me there is nothing better than a really good love story! Can't wait to read more books by this author!

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved "A Little Bit of Deja Vu", June 15, 2012
Characters were fun and exciting. I'm always a sucker for the "first love" romance. You never seem to know if you missed something special because you were so young. They always stay with you...the first kiss, first love. I also have a soft spot for the characters taking are of the youth. Very good read!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Laurie Kellogg's written another sexy romp, June 25, 2012
Laurie Kellogg's written another sexy romp romance readers are sure to love.
For any of us who've ever wished for a do-over, A Little Bit of Deja Vu will fill the bill.
Light-hearted, but yet with a surprising depth, the story follows the parallel romances of a father and son with a mother and daughter.
All in all, a satisfying read.