5.0 out of 5 stars Finally addresses small dog issues
I've had Italian Greyhounds for years, and most IG owners know they are extremely independent (read: hard as heck to train). I'm a big fan of Patricia McConnell's books, but most generic training advice is hard to apply to small dogs. They are easily overwhelmed, wiggly, and low to the ground! This book addresses those "small dog issues" specifically.

I...
Published on August 13, 2004 by G. Cirelli

3.0 out of 5 stars Little dogs!
The book was interesting---learned some things I wasn't aware of.But the book that was sent to me was in horrible condition!It wa absolutely fifthy!I had to actually scrape the crud off the cover.There was something that looked like spilled coffee throughout the pages.It made me feel like I didn't even want to touch it!YUK!
Published 12 months ago by pat findlay

5.0 out of 5 stars Finally addresses small dog issues, August 13, 2004
G. Cirelli (Nashville, GA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Little Dogs: Training Your Pint-Sized Companion (Paperback)

I especially like the advice about using a chair to get your small dog to learn to "sit" and "lie down". Something so simple, yet other dog training books haven't suggested it yet.

If you have small dogs, this book is a good companion to dog behavior books.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Little Book for The Little Dog, April 21, 2007
We had a two year old Australian Shepard when we bought our teenage daughter a little Papillon. The Aussie was such a breeze to teach everything to, including gently pushing his hind end downward while telling him, "Sit." Fortunately, we bought this book before trying that with the Papillon. Our daughter taught her little guy to sit, without hurting him, in no time at all with this book! That's just the start, though. It's been invaluable with so many things, from housebreaking to exercise, and so much more. If you have or are getting a small dog, this is a must have. It is truly extremely different than raising a bigger dog.

5.0 out of 5 stars A straightforward guide for dog owners, December 9, 2004
Written by obedience trial expert and award-winning pet columnist Deborah Wood, Little Dogs: Training Your Pint-sized Companion is a straightforward guide for dog owners specifically geared to the special needs of diminunitive dogs. From learning how to counter "yappy little dog" syndrome and other problem behaviors, to being crucially aware of safety issues when training a small breed, to basic training such as sit, stay, come, down, walking on a loose leash, and houstraining, to grooming challenges, and more, Little Dogs covers everything the ordinary pet owner needs to know, though it is chiefly a basics primer and not meant for advanced trainers seeking professional dog-show quality performance. Full-color photograms illustrate this splended guide and superb giftbook for anyone who owns or is considering getting a small-stature pooch.

5.0 out of 5 stars THIS IS THE BEST DOG BOOK I'VE EVER BOUGHT, March 6, 2007
S. Brandt (Lee's Summit, MO United States) - See all my reviews
I've only had labs in the past, so I was completely unprepared when I rescued a 5-lb Yorkie-Poo. I figured dog training is dog training, but boy was I wrong! I was at my wits-end with the endless barking. I tried everything in every book, web-site, and web-forum but nothing worked. Then I found this book! Within 24 hours, she was no longer barking at every person or car leaving the apartment parking lot as they left in the morning. If you have a small yapper get this book and get it FAST!

5.0 out of 5 stars Little Dogs is BIG on Fun and Information for ALL Dog Owners!, June 16, 2006
Little Dogs by Deborah Wood took me by great surprise. I purchased the book expecting entertainment with some basic tips, but what I received was exciting, tangible tips and exercises to help me bond and understand my new puppy. I learned A LOT about what makes her the way she is and different things she is communicating to me and not just doing for no reason or because she doesn't know any better! I gained so much patience and confidence in working with her thanks to this book. We now grow together and I am able to allow her to teach me things about myself, too. The book is so well written and the layout of short chapters filled to the brim with tips and facts, lets me read an entire section and set it down to work and play with my puppy. All of the information is well backed up by facts and explains not just WHAT to do, but WHY. It even goes as far as telling you WHY NOT to do other things. It's not all work, either! It's a great read on its own and even my husband has finished it off. We find ourselves quoting the book as reminders or help in explaining certain behaviors our puppy exhibits. This book is just what we needed and we will be keeping it in arm's reach for a long time! Highly recommended for owners of all breeds and sizes of dogs!

5.0 out of 5 stars An Excellent Little Dog Guide, May 10, 2005
If you own a little dog, this book is a wonderful alternative to the typical dog training guide. The author provides the reader with information, tips and training instructions geared specifically to the needs and unique personalities of little dogs. This book has helped me to better understand, care for and more effectively/safely train my Chihuahua puppy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome Insight!, March 31, 2005
I've looked all over for a training book specifically for small dogs and Ms. Woods has finally written it! This book is informative, insightful and fun to read. She has a wonderful grasp on issues small dogs have and doesn't make excuses for bad behavior in a small dog. My 2 yorkies and I have started working on the training and it's wonderful (they are 8 and 2 years old)...never too old to learn some good manners. Thanks Ms. Woods!

5.0 out of 5 stars Really cute & helpful book, March 16, 2007
M. Snell "book addict" (Ft. Worth, TX United States) - See all my reviews
I searched for a book to help me with training my mini-Yorkie. She would refuse to lie down or would act silly during my attempts to train her. The book gave some good tips and tricks to help understand how small dogs think and to get on their level. I got her to lie down by putting her in a chair and dropping the treat below the chair so that she would have to lower her body to get it.

The book also gives an insight to the way a toy dog sees the world. For example, we've all said, "My little dog thinks he/she is a Rottweiler judging by the way they act!" The book explains why this is myth.

Overall excellent book to help train your toy dog. It can be done!

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow -- all those 5 star reviews are true!, May 12, 2007
I thought I knew alot about dogs, but my dogs had always been medium or large dogs -- I learned so much about the needs of small dogs and how to handle them a little differently -- get this book BEFORE you get a small dog.

5.0 out of 5 stars Finally, a way to train with little pain, March 20, 2007
Marcia Galick (Sebastopol, CA United States) - See all my reviews
If you have or have ever had a small dog (I mean short, requiring you to kneel down or bend over) you'll appreciate this book. Of course, being essentially lazy and prone to low back problems, I discovered quite a while ago that by using a clicker, treats and a redwood table, bench, chair, hassock, I could get quick and happy results from my Papillon and not throw my self out of whack. Finally, this subject is addressed in this book.

There's a great deal of other helpful advice in this book, from teaching obedience, tricks, confidence to housebreaking and manners.

If you have or are just thinking about getting a small dog, get this book first.

Little Dogs: Training Your Pint-Sized Companion
Little Dogs: Training Your Pint-Sized Companion by Deborah Wood (Paperback - September 1, 2004)
Used & New from: $0.01