4.0 out of 5 stars Favorite author
I love the artwork and usually the stories by Graeme Base. This story was not as good as the others, it was so "fantasy" but too unreal even for that. The artwork was beautiful as usual.
Published 23 months ago by Christine Bialczak

3.0 out of 5 stars Not Base's Best
Published 23 months ago by AmiableFolly

3.0 out of 5 stars Not Base's Best, December 28, 2012
This review is from: Little Elephants (Hardcover)
We have almost all of Graeme Base's books and have loved them for the amazing art and the fun of looking for hidden images or figuring out the puzzles. THE LEGEND OF THE GOLDEN SNAIL is our favorite, and at three our youngest grandson memorized the snail chant and talked about the Grand Enchanter. LITTLE ELEPHANTS falls short. The art is good but the story isn't, and there is no deeper hidden theme to interest either a child or an adult.

4.0 out of 5 stars Favorite author, January 3, 2013

5.0 out of 5 stars A Book of Hopes and Promises, November 23, 2012
This review is from: Little Elephants (Hardcover)
Children's books have come a long way since I was growing up. The illustrations are an absolute work of art and I am getting to the point that I spend more time looking at the drawing than focusing on the words that accompany them.

Poor Jim, he loves his pet mouse Pipsqueak, but when there is plague to worry about and his mother is convinced that where there is one mouse to be found, others will be attracted, the mouse has to go. Times are tough and if they lose this year's wheat harvest the farm would be finished.

One day Jim spies a stranger in the field, he offers the man some wheat and asks if he could stay and help bring in the harvest. No, he said, but he was sure that the wind would bring good fortune.

Later that night, Jim heard scuffling sounds. Pipsqueak had retuned, but he was not alone. No, the sounds were not other mice. Something much more interesting was waiting for him under his bed.

It is hard to hide a herd from your mothers, but right now, there are bigger things to worry about, a swarm of locust is heading toward the farm and they would destroy the crop.

With the sound of a faraway trumpet, the herd appeared and an amazing thing was about to happen on a little farm with only a mother and her little boy to witness.

This book brought tears to my eyes. The simplicity of the story intermingled with the hopes and promises of a child are wonderfully displayed in this amazing book

4.0 out of 5 stars Huge fan of Graeme Base, July 19, 2013
This review is from: Little Elephants (Hardcover)
I bought this sight unseen because I have all the other Graeme Base books - but I was a tad disappointed. I love the story, but the drawing, while very good, are not the intricate colorful drawing like his other books. The colors are very subtle. You you are a fan and buy this knowing that it is a great deal different than his other books, you will not be disappointed.
No matter what kind of drawing Graeme Base makes, he is a WONDERFUL artist.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good, but not as complex or bright as his other books, December 13, 2013
This review is from: Little Elephants (Hardcover)
Good book and story, but this is the first of his books (at least that I can recall) that doesn't include other "games" besides the story. At least not to my eye. No real hidden pictures or additional things for which to search or count. That's the reason why I don't rate this book of Base's 5 stars (like I normally would), and instead only give it 4.

5.0 out of 5 stars Little Elephants--BIG WINNER!, November 14, 2012
This review is from: Little Elephants (Hardcover)
Graeme Base has done it again! This book is a winner in every way. Little Elephants is a charming and imaginative story about a young boy who lives on a wheat farm and his family is struggling to make ends meet. He shows kindness to a stranger and a miracle happens in return. Little elephants arrive to save the farm from a swarm of insects! You won't be disappointed with this enchanting tale.

5.0 out of 5 stars Little Elephants, September 7, 2012
This review is from: Little Elephants (Hardcover)
ALL Graeme Base exceed my expectations! My Granddaughter loves them. We have almost the whole collection now! Sure, some of them have scotch taped pages because she gets so excited to turn the next page, a rip occurs occasionally, quick taping repairs the tear, we are off to another wonderland of reading, finding hidden objects, solving puzzles.

Even the 'adults' in this family have to look through them, find items, solve the puzzle or just look at the amazing pictures, comment how wonderful the books are.

I give the Graeme Base books 5 stars, would give more if I could, worth every penny, the shipping is fast, no wait time.

2.0 out of 5 stars Story is Dark, March 18, 2014
This review is from: Little Elephants (Hardcover)
I purchased based on the reviews (and though silly - on the cute cover). There is certainly much to discuss after reading this book, but it is dark - both the illustrations and the story. It begins with a little boy who must part with his beloved mouse as his mother is concerned the mouse will attract more mice and damage their crops. Then come the locusts -- that look frightening and I admit, if I were a farmer, locusts would be a very frightening sight, but these illustrations ensure this is not a best choice for a bedtime book. Then once the locust are gone the forlorn mother says it does not matter anyhow as they don't have the help they need to bring in the crops. As I mentioned - lots to discuss; the impact of nature/things beyond our control on our food chain, how they little guy can make a big difference.... I think with a more detailed story this would make a great book for an older child. Maybe I was looking for enchantment, I see stark darkness – but this is not one I would recommend. On the other hand, love the Golden Snail and many other Graeme Base books – just not so much this one.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great work from this author, April 10, 2014
This review is from: Little Elephants (Hardcover)
I Have loved this author since childhood...probably about 15 to 20 years now...great illustrations, hard bound, coffee table sized...great for family homes

5.0 out of 5 stars Can't go Wrong with Base, March 12, 2013
This review is from: Little Elephants (Hardcover)
Beautiful book with illustrations beyond expectations. I have several of his books and all of them live up to my expectations.

Little Elephants
Little Elephants by Graeme Base (Hardcover - September 1, 2012)
$16.95 $12.73