5.0 out of 5 stars Great Movie! Excellent actors.
This movie was really good, a lot of sad parts, especially the ending. All the actors did an excellent job in this movie! Recommend to watch.
Published on January 17, 2013 by Paola Reyes

1.0 out of 5 stars Let us never speak of this again
Poor writing, worse direction, implausible plot points & terrible ending. This thing is just awful. I feel bad for those kids. Only reason I gave it 1 star is because the won't allow Zero stars.
Published 9 months ago by Jose Torres

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Movie! Excellent actors., January 17, 2013

5.0 out of 5 stars I haven't seen the original, but I'm impressed by this remake., February 6, 2012
This review is from: Little Fugitive (DVD)
This movie is a remake of a 1953 classic film with the same title. I have not seen the original, but taken on its own, this is quite an impressive first effort by director Joanna Lipper. Most of this film's negative criticism tends to compare this film with the original, and perhaps Lipper shot herself in the foot by adopting the original title. After all, it seems this is more of an appropriation than an adaptation, and it deserves to be viewed for its own merits rather than trying to compete with a film with an already established reputation.

The premise is the same as the original: older brother plays prank on younger brother. Younger brother thinks he has killed older brother and flees to Coney Island. The original premise may be the same, but Lipper seems more concerned with making a statement about social problems and family. Not that this is a message movie, but she definitely shows a sensitivity for all the characters in her film, and we sympathize with each one: the imprisoned father (Peter Dinklage), the overworked alcoholic mother (a brilliant performance by relatively unknown Justina Machado), but the movie really belongs to the young actors who play the two boys, David Castro and Nicolas Marti Salgado. Lipper inspires in these two a naturalistic approach to their roles that is steeped in childhood. Like Jem and Scout in Robert Mulligan's great adaptation of _To Kill a Mockingbird_, these two boys become the two brothers Lenny and Joey. However she does it, Lipper inspires in these two actors an incredibly convincing performance. It is easy to imagine these two as brothers in real life, and it is surprising we have seen them in few roles since this film.

In conclusion, I am not sure how this measures up to the original film, but it stands on its own and, for what it's worth, deserves to be judged on its own merits rather than on its inability to live up to critics' pre-conceived notion of what this film should be. We should, rather, see it for what it is -- a sensitive, memorable film.

1.0 out of 5 stars Let us never speak of this again, May 16, 2014
Jose Torres (New York, NY United States) - See all my reviews

1.0 out of 5 stars NOT A VERY ENJOYABLE FLICK, April 9, 2014
This review is from: Little Fugitive (Amazon Instant Video)
From what I have been told and from everything I have read, the ORIGINAL movie, filmed back in 1953 was MUCH BETTER!!! Not for the story line, but for the background scenes......Coney Island in 1953.....that would bring back a lot of fond memories for me as I used to live in Luna Park Co-Op and attended Abraham Lincoln H.S., (class of '64).

3.0 out of 5 stars It's a remake, July 17, 2011
This review is from: Little Fugitive (DVD)
I have not seen this 2008 film, "The Little Fugitive," but I believe it is a remake. According to the film's description, provided by Amazon.com, I believe I saw such a film over fifty years ago, in 1958, on television. It was in black & white and it was fantastic. The younger boy, who believe he had shot his older brother, runs off to Coney Island. I can't say more since fifty years plus have blurred most of my memory of this film, but this I will say: if this current issue has any resemblance of the original, then it's a winner!

Little Fugitive