5.0 out of 5 stars Grandmother worthy

2.0 out of 5 stars Amazing ladder but alas its a clone
Published 20 months ago by Michael J. Furay

5.0 out of 5 stars Grandmother worthy, April 21, 2012
C. G. King (Horse Country, VA USA) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Before my purchase, I was worried about weight and being able to manage the different configurations alone. Here are my findings. First of all, I resisted buying the previous version Little Giant because a relative has one and can't manage the weight alone. When I saw the ad for the Xtreme which is about half the weight of the other I was instantly on the phone. I hate my old ladders. They are light weight but feel so flimsy I'd gotten to not wanting to use them at all. They may be light, but I'm not anymore and I just didn't feel safe on them. The alternative was waiting for my son to come change the overhead light in my tall garage ceiling or outside house lights while I stumbled around in the dark, or some other such project. I've always done such things myself and although I'm willing to scale back (will be 70 next year), I am not ready to give up :).

Although the ladder is heavier than standard aluminum ones, it's not much heavier than a bag of dog food and I can manage it. I can't whip it into different positions like the infomercial people, but after watching the DVD a couple of times to understand the process, I can do it alone, including all the way tall. I was worried about getting my fingers pinched, but it functions like a well-oiled machine and a little care has been enough to keep my parts safe. It doesn't take much strength to switch its positions and it's very obvious when the adjustments snap into place (I still double check to be sure). I can carry it up the stairs into the house and back, and around the property.

One thing I appreciate is that because it is so sturdy, it doesn't need to be babied and I don't. I've purchased several accessories and am waiting for my next batch to arrive. So far all have been useful and have enhanced the ladder's usefulness for me. I feel safe and secure using it and now only need this one ladder for all my different needs. Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars New and Improved !!!!!!, July 7, 2012
SBJ400 "SBJ400" (Mt. Laurel, NJ USA) - See all my reviews
The pictures here on Amazon are not current. I have added my own pics (see above) to show you what's new! This ladder has actually been improved. The Rock Locks, MAG4 hinges are now made of metal.

NOTE - This review can only speak for the Little Giant 12017 RevolutionXE 300-Pound Duty Rating Multi-Use Ladder, 17-Foot. I cannot confirm if these improvements are on the other RevolutionXE models but would assume they are since it is the same product line, only size is the difference.

#1 - The orange plastic has gone bye bye! That alone makes it worth purchasing but wait...there's more!
#2 - This newer version also comes with wheels on the end to make it easy to move around the work area and the wheels are better placed.
#3 - Definitely lighter than previous versions! Much easier to use inside the house or on job site!
#4 - If you loved the scaffolding feature or are interested in it, you will be glad to know this has been improved! The older versions had you remove the outer ladder, then just lean those two separate pieces into an 'A' position and slightly lock them into place (NO! It did not really lock safely into that position!), then you would place your scaffold plank between that and the inner ladder. The inner ladder would safely lock into the A position. On the whole, this was not very safe and many people complained about that! Well, Little Giant must have been listening because they have included TRESTLE BRACKETS. These brackets allow the inner ladder to now lock safely into the A position!

This ladder comes with a color pamphlet explaining the basic uses and positions. Little Giant has also included a very well done DVD that will teach you how to use this ladder, step by step, walking you through the various positions and offering safety tips too.

This ladder is lighter than all previous models, coming in at around 35 pounds, yet, it is just as sturdy and solidly built! Little Giant continues to make an impressive, high quality product! This is not my first Little Giant 'A type' ladder. I have owned 4 different versions over the past 8 years. The RevolutionXE seems to be the best so far. I really did not think they could make it better, but they did.

I have included pictures to show the new items and improvements. Make sure you get this newer model if you order one! My advice is to wait for this to go on sale. Here at Amazon it sells for $299 but the price does drop! I got mine for around $230 (no tax, free shipping)!!! If you are not in a rush, wait for a sale!

4.0 out of 5 stars I got good deal!, January 13, 2013
This review is from: Little Giant 12022 RevolutionXE 300-Pound Duty Rating Multi-Use Ladder, 22-Foot (Tools & Home Improvement)
I bought both the Little Giant RevolutionXE Model 22 and Werner MT-22. Here's the good, the bad, and the ugly:

THE BAD:
*Expensive - I wouldn't have bought it even at $200. I would have go with Werner MT-22 for $114. You must be patient waiting for them to go on sale though.
*Little Giant Revolution XE Model 22 weighs more than advertised spec. It's just a bit over 40 pounds instead of 38 pounds. This is due to upgraded ALL METAL Quad-Lock hinges and Rock locks. With wheels and trestle brackets, it went over 40 pounds. For Werner MT-22, its advertised spec weight is 47 pounds, but it's actual weight is 45ish.
*The thin strips that are welded diagonally to the lowest/widest rungs and the legs make indentation to both sides of the legs. I personally think that these weaken the strength of the legs. I had other small ladder with similar thin strips welded to the legs and made an indentation. And guess what, that was where it broke and injured my wife. Fortunately, it was just bunch of bruises injury and her ribs and hip were not fractured. My wife is small and pettite.
*Made in China.

THE GOOD:
*Quad-Lock hinges are all metal instead of orange plastic. They do give you a sense of safety.
*Rock locks are a must when it comes to extending the ladder to its full length. They are also made of all metal instead of orange plastic. If you are small guy or not fit, you got to have this. I am a small guy but very fit. And I have real hard time extending Werner MT-22 to its full length. But with Rock locks from Little Giant, it made me want to return Werner MT-22.
*RevolutionXE aluminum is 20% lighter. Trust me, no matter what brands you go with, you want the lightest if you are small guy, specially for 22' models when extending to its full length. I know the guys or ladies you've seen on TV made it look so light and easy. But I just think that the ladders they used are not the same one you are getting.
*The rungs are welded to the legs. For Werner MT-22, they are double-riveted. Although both are very sturdy, I personally think that the welding is going to outlast the rivets. So, for as long as it gives me a sense of safety, I am in.
*The wheels are a must if you are a small guy or not very fit. These ladders do feel heavier and awkward when carrying without the wheels. I have no problem carry 50 pound dumb bell with one hand.
*The co-molded non-slip rubber feet are definitely well built when comparing to Werner MT-22. I do feel that they will outlast Werner's.
*The tristle brackets essentially make it into 2 solid step ladders. With Werner, I would not use the other half as step ladder. It wobbles a bit but it works fine for scaffolding.

THE UGLY:
The Little Giant Revolution XE 22 model does have many advantages to similar model from Werner. However, there's huge price difference. At any day at normal price, you can get Werner MT-22 for $206 at just about any local stores that carry it. If you want Little Giant Revolution XE 22 model, you are looking at $339. Both are very sturdy built. If you are a big guy and well built, they weight difference may not be justified the price difference. But if you are small guy like me and you don't need this in a hurry, wait for it to go on sale. Then, it's definitely worth the price difference. I got mine for $179 for Little Giant Revolution XE Model 22 while the Werner MT-22 was only $114. Since I am a small guy, the weight difference, the Rock locks, and other advantages Little Giant has, it was well justified for the price difference.

2.0 out of 5 stars Amazing ladder but alas its a clone, December 14, 2012
The company logo, model number, and everything else might say Little Giant Type 1A Revolution XE which is true, but realize this is not entirely the exact same product. This version is exclusively built for Amazon by an outsourced manufacturer in China. The price without a Lightnight Special price is the exact same that Little Giant charges on their site with free shipping, but that version is assembled in the USA.

3.0 out of 5 stars Great ladder, no longer made in USA, December 18, 2012
Like many people, I have wanted a Little Giant ladder for many years. I recently purchased the model 22 Revolution XE. The ladder arrived a couple of days ago and I have already used it several times. Everything that the other positive reviewers have to say about this ladder is true, so feel free to read their positive comments about the versatility of this ladder, as I agree with most of those comments. The "rock locks" (as Little Giant calls them) are made of metal now, not plastic, and feel very well built and are easy to use. I am a young man (for now, anyway) and I am using the ladder for my home use, and I find it easy to move around and adjust. All in all, it is a great ladder.

The main reason I only give the ladder four stars instead of five (edit: lowered to three stars, see below) is because when my ladder arrived, I was a bit disappointed to find that Little Giant is apparently now making at least some of their ladders in China, because that is where mine was made. I did not know this when I bought the ladder. For years, Little Giant advertised that their ladders were proudly made in USA. I did a little research online and it looks like LG quietly moved most or all of their manufacturing to China sometime in the last few years. I also see that company founder Hal Wing passed away earlier this year. That is too bad.

LG has charged a price premium on their products and for many years companies like Werner have had their versions (some might say "rip offs") of the Little Giant ladder for sale at lower prices. I assumed part of this was because those companies products were made in China, while LG ladders were made in USA. I guess that is no longer the case, and it is a bit disappointing.

Regardless, this is a very nice ladder. If you wish to support the company that pioneered this design, you will be pleased with a Little Giant. Additionally, the "rock locks" on the newer models such as this "Revolution XE" are very nice and easy to use. As far as I know, other brands haven't yet copied this lock design and I feel that the rock locks are evidence that Little Giant is still an innovative company that is continuously working to improve the design of their ladders. I am glad I bought it and I am happy with it. However, if you were interested in a "Made in USA" product like I was, and you dont care about the state of the art in hinge and lock design featured on the Revolution XE (again, it is a great design and works better than other brands), then you might as well consider the Werner or other Chinese made versions instead, since buying Little Giant no longer means buying a made in USA product.

edit: I will also add that their online marketing materials are currently quite deceptive. After writing the above review, I called and spoke to a very nice Little Giant customer service person on the phone and she confirmed that some of their products are made in China. I told her that this needed to be disclosed on their website, and she let me know that their website, littlegiantladders.com (with an "s") does disclose this fact. I had been looking at littlegiantladder.com (no "s"). Apparently that is their official distributor's website, not their own website. Very confusing, because both websites look the same and their distibutor's website says nothing (that I could find) about their products being made in China. At the bottom of littlegiantladder.com it simply says "proudly designed engineered assembled in the USA" without referring to any of the products being made in China.

Anyway, on their "real" website littlegiantladders.com, buried at the bottom of the product specifications page for the model 26 (not the model 22, which is the ladder I bought), the following disclaimer is printed: "*Due to a lack of domestic suppliers able to meet our strict requirements on the special alloy that is essential to this taller ladder, the Revolution XE M26 is not manufactured in the USA at this time." Again, this disclaimer currently only appears on the product specification page for the model 26, not the model 22.

The whole situation is very confusing for customers. Perhaps in the near future they will revise their website, and also their distibutor's website, to clearly disclose which products are made in USA and which are made in China. As a result of what I feel are deceptive marketing and disclosure practices, I am lowering the product's score to three stars instead of four.

If you don't care about any of this, the ladder is very nice.

Buyer beware!

5.0 out of 5 stars Solved my problem, May 23, 2011
The ceiling above my stairway had been peeling for some time, but until I bought this ladder, I had no good way to get to it. I considered several articulating ladders (particularly the Werner) before I settled on the Little Giant, but I've never looked back. This product is carefully thought out, well made and does what it claims to do better than the others I saw. My ceiling is now freshly painted and I moved on to a bedroom ceiling, splitting the ladder into two trestles and using a long board between them for scaffolding. Worked perfectly and made the job a pleasure (if that's possible). Once I'd swallowed the hook on the ladder (17 foot Revolution XE), I ordered nearly all the accessories (step, tool tray, fuel tank, leg leveler extensions and stand-off) and have been just as pleased with them. Yes, it was all ridiculously expensive, but I rationalize that I saved hundreds of dollars doing the jobs myself so it all works out. I like the 17 foot size and was glad I didn't settle on the 13, which I waffled over for some time. The 17 is just more versatile. It is a little heavy, as others have noted, but it earns its keep. Having used it, though, I am definitely glad I didn't go for one of the longer versions, as they would be too heavy for me to handle comfortably. And for my homeowner use, the heavy duty version would definitely have been overkill, just making the ladder heavier and for no good reason as it is already rock solid. Overall, one of the most satisfactory tools I've bought in my tool obsessed life.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing ladder!!!, January 17, 2012
I ran a residential construction company for a number of years before changing career paths but in that time had used more than my fair share of ladders. Everything from small fiberglass step ladders to massive aluminum extension ladders. It was often times a hassle having so many ladders laying around the jobsite and especially the extension ladders, they always seemed to be in the way. Well it's been some time since those days but I finally caved to the hype and commercials about the Little Giants. As with anything else I wanted the best and ordered this Revolution XE 22-foot.

It arrived in a reasonable amount of time and well packaged. It was like Christmas morning opening the box and pulling out this massive ladder. Fully collapsed it is the same size as a standard 6' step ladder. It is a bit heavier than your standard step ladder but the attached wheels make it easy to roll from spot to spot. Changing between step and extension is simple and feels plenty stable even when fully extended. I don't fly through the evolution like the guys on TV but nonetheless it is straightforward. Every time I use this ladder I ask myself why I waited so long to get one but now that I have it I couldn't be happier. I will say this particular size might be a bit cumbersome for small inside jobs unless you have tall ceilings. A standard 4' step ladder is usually plenty for most inside tasks, jmo.

TIP: I have heard of people rubbing bar soap or wax in the slides to aid in extending the ladder. I haven't tried this yet but also the first time I used the ladder I was trimming tree branches with a chain saw and didn't realize the bar oil plug had come loose and leaked the molasses like bar oil all over the ladder providing for great slide lubrication, albeit extremely messy. One could also tie a rope to the insert bottom rung, run over the outer top run and back to the bottom outer rung allowing you to extend the ladder easier.

5.0 out of 5 stars bad quality control, May 22, 2012
The first ladder came with one of the two hinges being defective. The hinge was not fully locking. There were cosmetic issues with the product as well. Amazon.com replaced the ladder for me. Unfortunately, the replacement came in a torn box and the driver never took it off the truck and took it back. Finally, the third ladder came intact without any damage or defects. However, it did show nicks, small dents, and other random abrasions. My past experience with this brand has been similar where the ladders show various types of cosmetic flaws along with minor to major damage from the factory. That out of the way, the ladder itself functions extremely well. When compared to other ladders of similar type, the quality of materials is very high. The bottom line is that if you can go past the quality control issues that plague this brand, you will be very satisfied with the performance of this ladder. This ladder is relatively expensive. However, there is a definite difference in both the quality and the performance of this product compared to similar ladders on the market.

2.0 out of 5 stars Too Heavy, not balanced, June 21, 2013
I regret buying this ladder. There is a reason the ladder comes with wheels. It is very heavy. The wheels are not very useful because of the low angle you need to get them to engage. It is a real chore to lug this thing around by myself (especially stairs or tight spaces). I thought the Little Giant could replace my existing 3 ladders. However, when I need a ladder now, it is always my last choice, because of the hassle of moving it and setting it up. Another problem is the hinge design. A normal ladder has most of the weight on the bottom when extended which makes it easy to move. The Little Giant has the bulk of the weight on both ends which makes it hard to balance when upright. Trying to move the ladder around when fully extended is very precarious because it wants to tip over. Another problem is it is difficult to fully extend because of the weight. A normal ladder can be placed against a structure and then you can push the extension out. The Little Giant extension has to swing out which can't be done easily unless it is flat on the ground. However, trying to lift the fully extended ladder off the ground is a 2 person job (again the top heavy design makes it hard to handle). For the money, I think you are much better off buying 2 ladders (light weight step and a telescopic). On the plus side, the heavy weight makes it very sturdy when used in the inverted V position. It doesn't come with any type of tray or tool holders like a normal step ladder, but they can be purchased separately.

2.0 out of 5 stars Poor Quality Control, February 10, 2013
I purchased the 17 foot model direct from Little Giant. This is my second LG ladder as I own one of the original ladders with the old style extension locks. Since these are heavy, I sold my old ladder to my neighbor before moving South.
The new lever unlock mechanism is what attracted me to this model, but unfortunatly, the ladder was missing one of the 1 inch rivets that enable the unlock feature to work. I found the rivet in the bottom of the box, but not having the factory tools to flare the end to keep it in place, I can't use the ladder. I also noticed that 2 of the other 3 rivets were not compressed fully. This makes me wonder about the long term reliability of the ladder. My old LG ladder was more difficult to lock and unlock but the mechanism was fool proof.
I haven't heard back from LG yet but I hope they stand by their product and fix mine. These are great ladders but Quality Control should be better on something I risk my neck climbing on.

Rate and Discover Movies