5.0 out of 5 stars absolutely wonderful
Published on December 9, 2003

2.0 out of 5 stars "What an assume Christmas present!"
Published on March 9, 2004

5.0 out of 5 stars absolutely wonderful, December 9, 2003
By A Customer
This review is from: Little House on the Prairie - Seasons 1-3 (Amazon.com Exclusive) (DVD)
I cannot express how excited I was when I discovered I could buy so many of my favorite LHOP episodes on DVD. I have been faithfully taping these episodes for the last ten years. Many of my tapes are in such bad shape they are impossible to watch. I was thrilled when I put in the first disk and noticed scenes I had never seen before on TBS. I know the episodes like the back of my hand and immediately realized when it was a "new" scene. I thought that was really neat. It made them even more special. Many people have complained about the picture, not having the beginning credits, etc. I am completely thrilled with everything about them. I just recently got a DVD player, so I am definitely no expert, but I thought the picture was excellent compared to what I am used to watching them on (old VHS tapes, TBS, etc.) I wasn't bothered by the song not being at the beginning of each episode, either. I thought the uncut scenes were a great trade-off. I did notice; however, in season three they do have the song with credits on each episode. They also have a scene selection whereas the other two seasons didn't. I haven't watched every single episode on the disks yet (there are 65, I believe)but the ones I have seen do not have any terrible glitches. If you are a LHOP fan and want to have a wonderful, commercial-free collection, then I wholeheartedly recommend this. I am so happy with my purchase.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Series - but DVD very poor production quality, May 29, 2004
By A Customer
I grew up watching this series and today it's a very refreshing break from the garbage and filth we are bombarded with on a daily basis everytime we turn on the TV. Even commercials are rank with crudeness these days. Anyway, if you would love to be reminded that the world hasn't always been so disgusting, vulgar, and violent then you will enjoy this series.
I was very disappointed, however, with the production quality of the DVDs. There are no subtitles for the hearing impaired, no special features at all and, most annoying, there are no chapter breaks between scenes allowing you to skip ahead. Instead you have to "forward" through it just like with your VCR (so what's the point of having it on DVD?). Also, the claim that the films have been "restored" is either a joke or a lie as many scenes are peppered with white specks and other visual debris. Also, there are moments when the screen looks like a video tape with the tracking gone awry. At times it almost looks as though they copied a bad video onto DVD. It seems they rushed through the production of these DVDs with little concern for quality. In spite of this, I do not regret my purchase and have enjoyed watching these with my family, including my three teenagers who have all become fans of the show.
And to Amazon let me say how annoying it is that any moron can write a "review" of something they obviously did not purchase or spend any time watching but rather are only posting a review because they have an adolescent need to rant against a particular genre which they have absolutely no appreciation for. Such reviews are a waste of everyone's time, including the person writing the "review". When only 2 out of over 50 people find a review helpful, I think it would be a service to everyone to pull it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful set for the family, November 5, 2003
David West (Butler, PA USA) - See all my reviews
I just got this today and look forward to sharing it with my wife & children and growing up with the Ingalls all over again. It looks like they are improving the sets with each release. For international customers, sets are labelled Zone 0-6 (Amazon please get this right) Much better than anything on TV today. I would reccomend continuining with the set. This is an excellent buy for those that wish to have the first 3 seasons.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great family entertainment!!!, September 21, 2004
Our family loves the shows. We have seen the first three season and are watching season 4. Not that we are experts, but none of us have noticed any problems with the cinematography as previously mentioned. It is great to see the example of a family that is NOT disfunctional -- it is something we need more of. I find these shows vastly superior to the majority of shows currently on TV and I highly recommend them.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great family entertainment., October 21, 2004
My mother use to tell me about this series and I couldn't wait to watch the series based on the life of Laura Ingalls.

Some have written about the quality etc. It's not true. Considering this series is over 30 years old the condition is better than I would have expected.

I enjoyed it as it was. I would not hesitate buying more DVDs from this series.

5.0 out of 5 stars Glad to Have Them all on DVD, November 1, 2004
A. Reyes (Spokane, WA USA) - See all my reviews
I didn't think that the quality of the dvds was as bad as some of the reviewers are saying granted it wasn't great but I'm sure some of the problems just weren't able to be fixed. I am glad that I will finally be able to own every episode on dvd so that when I have kids they can enjoy it too. Buying it this way was also cheaper than buying them individually by like 40 bucks so it is money well spent if you like the show. I can't wait for all the seasons to come out the next one is season 7 which comes out on February 15, 2005. Don't forget to pick up the Pilot Episode it is not included with the season 1 set.

2.0 out of 5 stars "What an assume Christmas present!", March 9, 2004
By A Customer
I ordered this DVD set for my wife who is a huge Little House fan. I was confident that this was one of the best Christmas presents I ever gave her. My wife loves it. She had been taping episodes for quite some time from a TV station that didn't come in very well. Nearly everyday after she got home from work, she would watch the episode that she had just taped, even though she's seen all of them many times. Well, now that she has the 1st 3 seasons, she still watches an episode after work, but instead of the fuzzy picture on the VHS tape, she watches an episode on DVD. I must admit I end up watching some of them myself. It's unfortunate that no one makes quality shows like this anymore. A lesson to be learned in every episode. (By the way, the picture quality is fine, definitely not an issue for shows that are more than 20 years old.)
I think I even learned something from the episode we watched after work today.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great! Excellent!! Fantastic!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!, January 25, 2004
A Kid's Review
I have to say that the title of my review is true. To the Little House on the Prairie fans, you will love these seasons. Finally for once, you can accually see the little house series, without having to go to the nearest video store, or bid higher prices on auctions that you will pay a great deal of money for, when it is right here on amazon. you get free shipping, no tax, and yet the relaxing little house sequels. I also want to mention that you should look into the 4th season, that has not been released yet, and will be avalible February 18, 2004. I had ordered this item last november with the pilot movie as well. I hope you enjoy these shows.
On a 1-10 scale, 10 being the best thes would be a:

not a one, or a ten, this would definily be a +71.7
~L.H.o.t.P. Lover~

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best television shows ever made, February 12, 2005
I remember when I first saw LHOTP on DVD at Target. I heard of the show, and I know I watched some of it in syndication when I was very little, but I still didn't really know or remember much about the show. So there I was at Target, wondering whether or not I should buy this and not being sure if I would like it. I took a chance, and I really enjoyed it. That first season box set, especially the first episode, had a special feel to it when I watched it for the first time. It is such a wonderful show. It has substance to it and you don't find that in very many shows. It is about a family who has a strong faith in the Lord and a deep love for not only each other, but for their fellow man. It is this faith and love that gives them the strength to endure every trial and tribulation that they will face. This show will help you to escape to a simpler time. In this day and age, it is like a breath of fresh air. I now own the first six seasons and it keeps getting better unlike other shows. Lastly, Michael Landon was the heart of this show. LHOTP wouldn't have been what it was if it weren't for him. I liked him on Bonanza, but this is where you get to see how talented he really was. He wrote and directed many episodes. I've never seen his other series Highway to Heaven (or I may have when I was very little), but I will say that we are blessed to have had him in the entertainment industry. He left such a legacy. I am glad we have a wonderful show like this, and that we had it for nine seasons.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best money I've spent on DVD, March 17, 2004
Paul G (East Seatuket, NY USA) - See all my reviews
I have hundreds of DVD's of all types and have enjoyed this series with my family more than anything else, we're not quite through all and we'll be sad when they're done!

Little House on the Prairie - Seasons 1-3 (Amazon.com Exclusive)
Used & New from: $759.99