5.0 out of 5 stars Season 6 Episode Guide
Published on July 20, 2004 by Jamie Teddy

3.0 out of 5 stars Once Again...Great Season But "Incomplete" DVD
Little House on the Prairie may well have been at the peak of its run during this sixth season. I still remember as a kid watching this show from week to week with new interest in seeing how Laura was going to win the heart of her future-husband, Almanzo Wilder. Dean Butler was a great addition to the cast, and his commentary on this DVD is very good...
Published on March 30, 2007 by Sean Pasek

5.0 out of 5 stars Season 6 Episode Guide, July 20, 2004
This review is from: Little House on the Prairie - The Complete Season 6 (DVD)
Season 6 introduces us to Ms Wilder, Almonzo and Perley Wilder, Nels Oleson's sister Annabelle, Caroline's father, and Nellie's future husband Percival. Season 6 contains 23 episodes and some of the best Little House on the Prairie episodes ever! It also contains some of the biggest tear-jerker episodes ever. I must admit, the quality of the sound and picture is not what I had hoped it would be. Very poor quality.

1. BACK TO SCHOOL (Part 1) September 17, 1979
22. HE LOVES ME, HE LOVES ME NOT (Part 1) May 5, 1980
23. HE LOVES ME, HE LOVES ME NOT (Part 2) May 12, 1980

5.0 out of 5 stars I've Been Looking Forward to This Season, October 11, 2004
This review is from: Little House on the Prairie - The Complete Season 6 (DVD)
This is one of my all time favourite seasons of Little House on the Prairie which ran from 1979 to 1980, and I've been looking forward to getting this one for some time. This is the season when we first meet Almanzo Wilder(Manny) and the beginning of Laura's crush which really was love at first sight. Almanzo doesn't know she exists which leads to some very interesting predicaments. Who could forget the Cinnamon Chicken with a little extra spice or Almanzo 'rescuing' "Beth" (Laura Elizabeth) from Nellie? The season climax is the resolution for Laura's love for Almanzo which is really quite sweet. Melissa Gilbert grows up before our eyes during this season, but we have to wait until the 7th season before they get married. This is also the season when Rev. Alden gets married, and also when, through the episode of Annabelle, that they tackle the sensitive issue of being overweight and loving someone for what they have on the inside. I am hoping that the 3 part Thanksgiving series will also be included with this DVD. I am glad to see that there are some extra features as well. Thank you to Jamie for listing all the episodes.

Aug. 2006: When I wrote this review I did not realize that parts of the episode "Sweet 16" have been omitted in this dvd release. They also didn't include the Thanksgiving 3-part series, "The Little House Years". LHOTP fans deserve better. It makes me wonder what else they cut out and it is most disappointing.

4.0 out of 5 stars CUT!, October 28, 2004
bbnibs "bbnibs" (portland, oregon) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Little House on the Prairie - The Complete Season 6 (DVD)
I have waited SOOO long for this season to come out. It is the best season with my absolute all time favorite episode, "Sweet Sixteen." I can still remember watching that episode for the first time. I can't begin to tell you how disappointed I was that this episode is edited from its original airing. There are three scenes missing, they are small, but key! The one where Laura buys her shoes (with heels to make her look taller and older) and the one where she is determined to learn to walk in them! This is important because not too long after that we realize that it worked! Almonzo takes notice of her and she looks down at her shoes and tucks them uderneath her. I was really hoping that when the DVDs were released they would show the COMPLETE episodes and not the "edited for TBS" versions. I'm bummed.

4.0 out of 5 stars Missing Scenes, January 18, 2005
Lark (California, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Little House on the Prairie - The Complete Season 6 (DVD)
I have purchased all 6 seasons of Little House, and have the 7th season on reserve. If I were not such a fan of Little House, I would return these DVD's due to their poor quality and missing scenes. I kept feeling that a scene was missing here or there, but wasn't sure until I saw the "Sweet Sixteen" episode. As another reviewer reported, there is a complete segment of the show missing. We see Laura walking through the dry grass on her way to school and she stumbles ever so slightly as she walks. What is not shown is that directly before this clip, she has purchased a new pair of "mature" heeled shoes and had to learn to walk in them. Later, during their carriage ride home, "manly" seemingly sees a more mature Laura. Laura looks down at her new shoes, clearing feeling that they are responable for "manly's" new found interest in her. Having not seen Laura purchase the new shoes, a viewer might be clueless to this very important part of the story line.

I expected to have the entire UNCUT version of Little House. I am deeply disapointed to own a poor edited version of my favorite show. I noticed missing scenes in several of the other DVD's also. I gave the product 4 stars, simply because Little House is still, in my opinion, one of the best shows to ever appear on TV. But be aware, quality is poor and the missing scenes can leave you feeling discouraged and disapointed.

3.0 out of 5 stars Once Again...Great Season But "Incomplete" DVD, March 30, 2007
Sean Pasek (Escondido, CA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Little House on the Prairie - The Complete Season 6 (DVD)

However, the problem that I have with this DVD set, as with Season 5, is that it is NOT complete. There are many scenes missing from a number of episodes. Don't you find it odd that virtually every other TV show that has made it to DVD is done so unedited?!? I've heard that NBC tried to pull the same thing with the first season of the Cosby Show until enough complaints to NBC forced them to make sure that all subsequent releases were, in fact, unedited.

It's a real shame that such a classic family show as this is not being given the quality that it should be. These "missing" scenes are not lost. I've seen them in re-runs on television.

This is the only reason I give three stars to this product. It's a definite five for the show itself. You have to wonder that if Michael Landon was alive, would he tolerate such tampering with his show?

Note: It seems that most of the TV series that are released through NBC Home Entertainment are edited. These include Little House, Cosby Show, and Highway to Heaven from what I've seen and possibly others.

5.0 out of 5 stars Little House finds Love!, March 7, 2006
This review is from: Little House on the Prairie - The Complete Season 6 (DVD)
These episodes I liked most of all. The story is played out when we are introduced to Almonzo Wilder the man in Laura's life that starts out as a puppy love attempt, but as the years go by flourishes into a love affair when a pure sixteen-year-old is all grown-up in Almonzo's eyes. She is no longer that little girl anymore but fully grown to take on adult responsiblity. These are the stories that are cherished and treasured.

4.0 out of 5 stars BEST EVER!, February 1, 2006
A Kid's Review
This review is from: Little House on the Prairie - The Complete Season 6 (DVD)
First of all we are introduced to Ms. Wilder the new teacher. And Laura meets her future husband-Almanzo. Reverend Alden marries Anna Craig. A faith healer comes to walnut grove and drives them to believe untrue things. Carolines mother dies and her father discovers an interest in writing. The telephone comes to Walnut grove. There is another hostage plan in Walnut Grove-this time it involves Mary, Laura, and Charles pretending to be a doctor.

The Blind school burns down along with Mary's baby and Alice Garvey.

Laura takes a temporary teaching job in which time she finds out that "Manly" (Almanzo) has feelings for her.

Almanzo asks Charles for Laura's hand in marriage and is not rejoiced when he gets the answer.

These and many more adventures are included in this complete season.

Special Features:

Exclusive interviews with Dean Butler (Almanzo), Alison Arngrim (Nellie), and Dabbs Greer (Rev. Alden).

Audio commentary by Alison Arngrim

Season 6 quiz

3.0 out of 5 stars Great Show, Bad Quality, November 10, 2004
This review is from: Little House on the Prairie - The Complete Season 6 (DVD)
I can say very little to add more weight to what other reviewers say about what a great show 'Little House on the Prairie' is and how glad I am that it has arrived on DVD.

Like so many of you though, I am rather shocked and saddened by the poor quality of the source material on the discs.

It is clear to me that no remastering has been done at all. The programmes appear to have been transferred straight across from analogue broadcast tapes (I work in television in the UK). Tape dropout is evident on some of the episodes so I would imagine the source to be a 1" or Betacam SP master. Remastering is when you go back to the original 35mm film negatives and make a fresh film print or digital tape master from that negative, colour correct it scene by scene and paint out any dirt or scratches using modern computer software. I would love the producers of these DVDs to offer some kind of explanation as to why the barest minimum effort has been put in. I can live with a few scratches and jumps as long as all the episode content is there and the picture is sharp and colourful, but many purchasers are reporting episdoes with missing scenes, which for a collectors boxset, is appalling.

The main fault could lie with Worldvision, the distributors of the series who may have supplied duff ex-broadcast master tapes. Again though I'm sure all would agree that it is down to the video company to check them, and if they are poor or edited, send them back and demand better ones. You only need to check the run time to see if it is short. After all people are paying money for these discs.

The original runs of 'Little House' in the UK were broadcast directly from 35mm film prints and so the quality was always nice. It is only since the latter part of the 1980's when distributors began supplying film series on videotape that the quality problems started, especially if converting from the USA's NTSC television system to the UK's PAL. Analogue NTSC was absolute rubbish and accounts for the washed out pictures you are now encountering on these DVD's.

3.0 out of 5 stars Why did they cut scenes out when this is a DVD collection!, November 7, 2004
This review is from: Little House on the Prairie - The Complete Season 6 (DVD)
I was anxious to buy Season 6's DVD collection because one of the best Little House episodes EVER is "Sweet Sixteen." After it originally aired on NBC they cut out IMPORTANT scenes from this episode to make room for more commercials in syndication. During "Sweet Sixteen" after Almanzo FINALLY notices Laura in a new light, Laura looks down at her shoes under the buckboard seat and smiles knowing her new heels have made her look older finally. If you didn't see the original on NBC in 1979 though, this scene doesn't make ANY sense! I am so IRATE that they cut out the scenes of Laura buying high-heeled shoes AFTER Almanzo initially ignores her new grown up look. They also cut out Laura trying to learn to walk in them. Why on earth did they delete these scenes from the DVD when there are no commercials? Shame on them! Also the guy who interviews "Almanzo" and "Nellie" is CREEPY!!!!!

1.0 out of 5 stars Great show, terrible quality, November 9, 2004
Mr. R. Van Schelven "Ries" (Leidschendam, The Netherlands) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Little House on the Prairie - The Complete Season 6 (DVD)
The show is great, I have all the other seasons as well, but the quality of this DVD collection is again horrific. The audio is sometimes mangled, like a worn out VHS tape. The video is not much better. I do no understand this since the DVD states that they used state of the art technology to clean up/enhacing the originals. It looks like they have taken the cut-up TV tape versions and slammed them on a DVD. Certainly not collectors item quality. I'd rather pay a few bucks more for a better, much better, quality.

Little House on the Prairie - The Complete Season 6
Little House on the Prairie - The Complete Season 6 by William F. Claxton (DVD - 2004)
$39.75