Amazon Fashion Textbook Trade In Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Fifth Harmony Father's Day Gift Guide 2016 Fire TV Stick Luxury Beauty Father's Day Gifts Amazon Cash Back Offer bighero bighero bighero  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Outdoor Recreation SnS

on February 12, 2003
Many authors and illustrators have tried to tell this story before, but this particular book is a treasure for any 6 to 9 year old to have in her collection of classic fairy tales. Each page of artwork should be a painting - they are so stunning and magical. This version follows the Hans Christian Andersen version of the famous tale, not the Disney movie. Therefore, the Little Mermaid goes up to heaven in the end, which may bother some preschoolers. The reading level is at about the 2nd grade level. A great book to share at story-time with an early reader, as the pictures will motivate them to try and read it.
on July 4, 2011
Long before Disney created Ariel, Hans Christian Anderson created the real Little Mermaid. This book is a rare collector's edition, and an absolutely beautiful rendition of the original story. I love it!!
on July 19, 2005
Growing up, Disney's version of this story was probably my favorite movie. Id really never known that there was a book until I came across it in the library(which is silly, because this is something of a classic.)

Reading this book rather enraged me. The ending is quite different from the Disney ending and I dont understand why they felt the need to change it. This is a lovely tale of unrequited love as well as failure and disapointment. Every story need not have a happy ending and unfortunately most children's tales do. Maybe Im a pessimist, but it seems that stories where everything works out in the end might be sending children the message of a perfect world where disapointment is out of the norm.

I just wish there were more stories of this sort to give kids a more realistic view of their future, because they have to learn sooner or later.
66 comments|26 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 7, 2006
There are many beautiful versions of this book, and I'm sure I'll eventually see all of the ones that people have reviewed here, but that cover you see up top is from the version illustrated by Michael Hague. I'm a little biased, but the book is really stunning: the artwork balances nicely between beautiful and frightening, and Andersen's original text tell's the Little Mermaid's simple story with a sensitivity toward her character that is rare in fiction written during the same period. While I'll admit that this book is probably best appreciated by children 6 years old and up, DO NOT insult your child's intelligence or maturity by thinking they can't handle a story in which the main character dies....the beauty of the story is in the the universal truth that love conquers all, outliving even death. What better lesson to teach children?
on April 4, 2013
I thought an illustrated book was supposed to show pictures during or along with the story, like most children's books. Rather, the pictures (of paintings and drawings) by an array of artists are shown at the end, each depicting a scene from the story. Now why couldn't some of these pictures be brought in along with the story??? It all would have been much more enjoyable. This is why I only gave this 4 stars instead of 5.

The story was very good. Disney's version is wonderful and I already knew it was different from the original. And I had heard many different things/rumors about the original story, especially what happens to the little mermaid at the end. So I took it upon myself to finally learn the true story by Hans Christian Anderson. After reading, I found the rumors not to be true. Perhaps these people mis-interpreted some things in the book. This is the first story I have read by Anderson, and he has a unique style of telling a story that I enjoyed. I also liked the way he described things, even in the finest, most beautiful details. With all the beautiful things he described under the sea, especially within the royal kingdom, I'm not sure I'd want to leave like the little mermaid, even for a prince! (And not to mention, the other conditions, for example loosing your whole family.) But as they say, it's not always greener on the other side.
on August 10, 2009
I really loved this version of The Little Mermaid. It was very beautiful and sad at the same time. I loved the part where it was talking about each of the mermaid's 15th Birthday that they would go up to the serface and see what it was like. The book was sad in a way. It was when the little mermaid was talking to her grandmother and found out that they don't have a soul after they die. The part about the sea witch was kind of scary... but not. Though I didn't like how she had to cut the mermaid's tounge off. The mermaid does give up everything and her life... because the one whom she loved fell in love with another girl. You have to read this book for yourself. I really loved this book! I hope you will too!
on August 25, 1999
When I got this book I was turning twelve My sister got it for me and I thought "no big deal" but I opened this book and cried over the first page. It is very beutiful. Sarah Knapp age :13 (well, this Sept, 29th)
on April 27, 2016
Ok, I gave this four stars because as I read this, I discovered I really do not like the original version of The Little Mermaid!! It's actually horrible and makes you feel like crap when you're done reading it. I prefer the happier versions where there is no violence and death to any of the good characters. This book in particular doesn't really have a lot of visual aids to go along with the text. The written words do describe things in the story, but it is nice to be able to see them, too.
on March 23, 2000
I got this book years ago and fell in love with the story all over again. the illustrations are beautiful! I lost the book and was so happy to find it here at Amazon after haunting bookstores for years. I couldn't tell by a list of title which one was mine! I recognized the picture Amazon had immediately. This book would be for the older child or an adult. I got a copy for my daughter anyway so she can grow into it.
on October 17, 2004
My grandfather used to tell me the story of the little mermaid when I was a child. It was the rather unadorned version, lacking the peaches-and-cream ending concocted by well meaning Disney producers. It was the original story, Anderson's story. My grandmother bought me this book when I was 11. Santore's beautiful illustrations were true to the tale and did due justice to a childhood classic. I highly recommend this to fans of the classic story, or if you would like to experience it for the first time there is no better way. I'm now 20 and I find myself, every now and then, curling up in bed with this book and reading myself a betime story.