Recently, my daughter became very interested in baby dolls. Instead of adding to her collection of toys, I opted to buy this book to encourage her motherly behavior. She demands that we read this to her often, and even after we've hidden it on her bookshelf, she'll search it out and bring it to us.

Since getting the book, my (almost) 2 year old's motherly...
Published on July 15, 2009 by Kate

3.0 out of 5 stars While this book is sweet and nostalgic and definitely evokes memories for this 64 ...
While this book is sweet and nostalgic and definitely evokes memories for this 64 year-old grandmother, it probably will not appeal to a parent in 2014. References to the daddy going to work in the city while the mommy stays home with the kids and cleans don't match up to most families' realities today.
Published 5 months ago by glenda davis

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for any little girl who likes being a "Mommy" to her dolls!, July 15, 2009
This review is from: Little Mommy (Little Golden Book) (Hardcover)

Since getting the book, my (almost) 2 year old's motherly behaviors have increased. She mimics the girl in the book and will feed, bathe, kiss and rock her dolls to sleep. She'll even sit with them and pretend she's reading a book, or she'll try and sing a bit. I'm thrilled about this because we want her to be prepared to deal with a real baby whenever the time comes to add to our family.

Yes, the times have changed and we mothers don't typically live like the book suggests, but that doesn't make the story any less sweet. The little girl's love for her "babies," and her desire to make her "house" a real home by keeping it clean, making nice meals and tucking her children in bed at night is TIMELESS. This is a precious book and would be treasured by any little girl who wants to be a Mommy!

5.0 out of 5 stars Childhood Favorite, September 17, 2010
This review is from: Little Mommy (Little Golden Book) (Hardcover)
This was my favorite book when I was a little girl - I still have my original copy but it's a little beat up, to say the least! I was so glad to find this still in print, so I could keep a copy for my daughter (and hopefully my granddaughters). Feminism be damned - this book is just the best! :)

5.0 out of 5 stars Remember my childhood, June 15, 2008
This review is from: Little Mommy (Little Golden Book) (Hardcover)
I use to own an original copy of this book. However, many years of moving and the book was left behind - somewhere. I've researched and researched for years now and I'm so happy to find the book in print again. As it should be as a: Little Golden Book CLASSIC!

The book opens with, "This is my house and I am the mommy. My children are Annabelle, Betsy and Bonnie." and sets out to tell a story of domestic life as we were taught in the late 60's through the 70's. Our role as a woman was to become a "Mommy" all fully domesticated and long for a husband to take care of us and build a family with. [Not at all who I turned out to be at 32 *haha*]

But the memories remain of my "Mommy" reading me this story bringing back a wonderful time cuddled up next to her in my bed as she would read me to sleep each night. So, I've decided I'm going to give this copy to her for her birthday, in the hope that someday when I have a daughter she will read it to her.

I'm so pleased to see it back in print as original copies of the book go for $75 dollars or more via auction sites.

I haven't received my copy yet but it looks wonderful from the photo on Amazon. The hardcover seems to be keeping to those original muted greens and blues but still vibrant enough to recapture time.

A great addition to your Golden Book collection or just to bring back memories as I know there is a cult following of this wonderful children's classic.

5.0 out of 5 stars Childhood favorite, May 7, 2008
Cindy (Florida, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Little Mommy (Little Golden Book) (Hardcover)
This was my absolute favorite book as a child. The pictures are sweet and old-fashioned, following a little girl through her day as she cares for her three dolls. She has a tea party with her neighbor after she "scrubs the dishes, sweeps the floor, and wipes the fingerprints off the door," then later has to call "the doctor" for one of her dollies--who reassures her that it's just the "mumbledy bumps, I think." The first edition became a collector's item, so I'm glad to see they're republishing it!

5.0 out of 5 stars darling keepsake book, June 6, 2008
This review is from: Little Mommy (Little Golden Book) (Hardcover)
This was my very favorite book as a child!! I kept my original copy on a high shelf out of my daughter's reach only to be read to her by me. (They were going for $75 on e-Bay a month ago...and were nearly impossible to get your hands on!!) Now she can have her own copy and at this price give one to all of her pals. The story is traditional and sweet, I love it!

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the sweetest books on earth, April 10, 2008
This review is from: Little Mommy (Little Golden Book) (Hardcover)
Adorable story of a little girl and her baby dolls. Great book! Wonderful absolutly love it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Our Daughter's Favorite Book, April 10, 2009
This review is from: Little Mommy (Little Golden Book) (Hardcover)
My husband and I will never forget our daughter at two and a half, "reading" this to her dolls. At that age, she remembered most, but not all of the pages, and of course, read them in her own endearing "babyspeak." The funniest was her rendition of the text of one of the first pages -- "My children are Annabelle, Betsy and Bonnie." It came out this way: "My choona bo bessie bonnie."

I am going to give this book to her this year -- for her 40th birthday, and I know it will be her favorite gift.

5.0 out of 5 stars Our "most memorable" book, May 7, 2008
This review is from: Little Mommy (Little Golden Book) (Hardcover)
This absolutely charming book was the favorite of all my children, not even just the girls! We all essentially memorized most of the lyrics and repeat them to one another even today when something triggers the memory. We had to put clear contact paper on our copy to keep it lasting longer! I am delighted to see it in print again and will certainly order it for all the little girls in my life at this point!

4.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable and Useful, July 9, 2012
This review is from: Little Mommy (Little Golden Book) (Hardcover)
Good book for beginning imitation play for young children! May be a bit dated, but the sweet pictures and simple role play is great, and I feel this book can be used with boys and girls by simply changing a few words; roles can also be reversed. It can be an enjoyable and useful book to share with little ones.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very 1960's. Darling--daughter loves it., June 19, 2009
This review is from: Little Mommy (Little Golden Book) (Hardcover)
The illustrations in this book are absolutely beautiful. There is so much detail--it almost goes beyond discription. Just lovely! My daughter of 3 years adores this book saying "again, again" when we're on the last page. Be forewarned though, it's very 1960's when the mother's of the house did EVERYTHING. But just try and get past it--it's how it was then, not now--and use it as an education tool. It's such a sweet book about a little girl basically taking care of her little dolls as a mother of the 1960's would have...baking, laundry, cleaning, tea party, bathing and putting them to bed. It's definitely worth the $2.99 with the illustrations alone! It's almost impossible to be disappointed and you really can't go wrong. Buy it!

Little Mommy (Little Golden Book)
Little Mommy (Little Golden Book) by Sharon Kane (Hardcover - April 8, 2008)
$3.99 $3.59