Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PME Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer WienerDog WienerDog WienerDog  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro

on August 29, 2005
Sure, it probably won't get your veggie-hating kid to request spinach at every meal, but the illustrations are adorable, and the storyline, an endearing tale about a little pea whose mom and dad make him finish 5 pieces of candy before he is allowed to eat his favorite dessert - a big bowl of spinach! - is silly enough to make my two-year-old son crack up every time we read it.

He loves personalizing the book for our family (instead of Mama Pea, Papa Pea and Little Pea he calls the peas: Mama Pea, Dada Pea, Ethan Pea and Molly Pea) and what toddler can resist making "yuck" and "blech" sounds along with the Little Pea when he's suffering through a plate of candy.

Ethan makes me read it again and again. I love this book (and my little peas.)
on January 8, 2013
Reading the book "Little Pea" to my two and a half year-old son. We read at least ten books per day. This is the most I have ever seen him giggle over a book (this is the third time we read it together, and his giggles have lasted into him having the book memorized!)
on December 6, 2005
I picked up this book at the library because I was looking for books without too many words a page. I was surprised at how my son - nearly 3 laughed hysterically at it - primarily at disgust given for eating candy.

I would have to disagree with the other reviewer who panned this book for poor reverse psychology. Preschooler habits are long formed by their parents attitudes - whether of indulgence or not. I wouldn't expect this book to convert a veggie hater either - there are other methods in many a child rearing book.

This book is meant to be funny and when given to a child 3 or older it is an excellent belly laugh and a superb opportunity to explore early reading and early drawing. The reason I say 3 years old is that age is when developmentally most children begin to understand cause/effect which is the primary lesson in the story - sometimes we need to do things we don't like to get to where we want to be. And that sacrificial lesson can't be taught too much!!
on October 3, 2005
This is a great little book with wonderful watercolor/colored pencil illustrations. Nice message about having to eat dinner before you get dessert. My 3 yr old daughter loves it!
on August 22, 2005
I recently bought this book for our 2 1/2-year-old son because he absolutely refused to eat cooked vegies -- I thought the story might be a cute way to get him to give vegetables a chance. I am SO GLAD that we bought this book. At dinner, we quote the book and, with laughter, are able to get him to eat "five pieces" of vegetables before he can get seconds on the stuff he likes (bread, rice, etc.) Also, I disagree with the idea that this book promotes candy. Instead, my son is more willing to eat his vegetables and to try new foods because he can reflect upon a fun story that motivates him to do so.
on April 26, 2005
Little Pea is a sweet book, just right for toddlers who understand cause and effect. The humorous twist is that instead of having to eat vegetables to get to dessert, the baby pea has to finish all his yucky candy to get to the good stuff (spinach). Both the language and illustrations are playful and fun. My 2+ year old loved it and I second his recommendation.
on August 6, 2005
My 6 and 4 year old have made me read this book twice every night since we got it at the library. We are now buying our own copy and a few extras as gifts. Perhaps it is best not to preview books (except for appropriateness) and let the children decide what they like. My girls even argue over which of them gets to read it!
on September 3, 2015
I've been told this book is pretty popular in preschools. I don't doubt it at all. This is one of the better children's books I've seen and my girlfriend, who works at preschools, has consistently cited positive reactions from all of the children.

If you have a little one or work with young children, this is a good book for story time.
on August 2, 2015
This is a sweet little book and my 6 year old granddaughter loves it (though it's very appropriate for 3-5 year olds as well). The illustrations are simple and charming and the "surprise" ending produces lots of giggles. I've actually been asked to read t as much as four times in a row.
on July 31, 2015
Peas and candy???? Who would've thought reading about a pea and his love of spinach would open the door for kiddos to try new foods. it is a frequent read in our house. We love identifying the many types of candy the pea must eat before he gets his spinach dessert.