5.0 out of 5 stars Not *just* for full-time sales professionals...
Published on April 23, 2006 by Thomas Duff

3.0 out of 5 stars The first "Red" book is the one to buy!
Don't get me wrong, I really think Gitomer is a great writer and speaker but this book just rehashes topics he has already covered in his two best sales books, the Little Red Book of Sales and The Sales Bible.

Published on June 2, 2007 by Magicman

5.0 out of 5 stars Not *just* for full-time sales professionals..., April 23, 2006
This review is from: Little Red Book of Sales Answers: 99.5 Real World Answers That Make Sense, Make Sales, and Make Money (Hardcover)
While I'm not "officially" in sales as a career, one of my jobs in software development is "selling" the technology. To that end, I'm always open to new ideas to become a better "salesperson". Jeffrey Gitomer has a very nice, fun little book that has a wealth of practical advice... Jeffrey Gitomer's Little Red Book of Sales Answers : 99.5 Real World Answers That Make Sense, Make Sales, and Make Money. It's targeted to sales professionals, but you can glean quite a bit from it for all areas of your career.

Contents: Part 1 - Personal Improvement That Leads to Personal Growth; Part 2 - Prospecting for Golden Leads and Making Solid Appointments; Part 3 - How to Win the Sales Battle AND the Sales War; Part 4 - Sales Skill Building... One Brick at a Time; Part 5 - Building the Friendship. Building the Relationship. Earning the Referral. Earning the Testimonial. Earning the Reorder; Part 6 - Building Your Personal Brand; Part 6.5 - The Final AHA!

Each of the "parts" consists of a number of two and three page questions that Gitomer proceeds to answer. It starts out with basics like "What is the meaning of sales?" and "How do I make a cold call?" to "Am I available to my customers when they need me?" and "What do the leaders in my industry say about me?". Using cartoons, a range of fonts, and a very direct, conversational style of writing, the essential points that answer the question are spelled out for the reader. Gitomer uses his experience in sales to help you understand the steps you need to take to be successful at this thing called "sales". He also includes a number of references back to his website where you can get additional information and/or freebies to help you along. In fact, you can judge the effectiveness of his answers by looking at how he's practicing what he preaches by writing a book like this.

I mentioned I am a software developer and *still* found this book useful. If you're a consultant, a book like this is a no-brainer. You need to be selling your services and talents, and this book can help you do that. And given you're probably a techno-geek, most of the information here won't be intuitive to you (or comfortable, either). Regardless, mastering these skills can ensure that you have a steady flow of customers. Even if you're not a consultant but a regular employee at a company, you should still view yourself as a "sellable" item. Applying these ideas can separate you from your coworkers and make your position much more secure than the guy who is keeping his head down, hoping not to create waves...

This is a small investment of time and money that can pay off in large returns down the road. Even implementing two or three ideas from the book might change your career. If you've never considered "selling" yourself on the job, this book might just change your perspective in a positive way...

5.0 out of 5 stars Gitomer's 2nd Red Book Highly Recommended for Sales Pros, March 11, 2006
In Jeffrey's 2nd "Little Red Book", he delivers again, this time providing practical nuggets and gems of wisdom for sales professionals -- this time taking the other side of the "questions" part of selling, and delivering thoughtful answers.

What I liked best about this book was it's readability and easy-to-digest format ... as with all of Gitomer's books, this one helps sharpen your salesmanship by giving you the perspective, the frame of mind, and the "attitude" of a successful sales professional.

Plus, all the answers and techniques he provides are absolutely invaluable for anyone who sells for a living. Also useful at sales meetings, to kick off discussions and more.

Here's what I'd do if I were:

a) an individual sales rep: first, read the book. Twice. Mark it up. Identify which 3 areas you're weakest in (rate yourself on a "great/so-so/need improvement" scale and develop a specific action plan to boost your sales skills in areas needed.

b) a sales manager: I'd pick a topic each week and use that to facilitate individual coaching sessions w/my reps, and/or use it at your weekly sales meetings, for a quick 10-minute "share success stories" to have your sales team kick around ideas for what works, to IMPLEMENT what Gitomer's teaching you here.

Highly recommended - thanks again Jeffrey for a practical, insightful book that's sure to be yet another bestseller.

Ken Calhoun

5.0 out of 5 stars Every Tough Sales Question Answered - Love the No BS Approach, April 3, 2006
Dave Lakhani (Boise, ID United States) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
There are a number of things that make this book very good, better than other Gitomer books even.

Like Gitomer's Little Red Book Of Selling, this book is designed to be read fast, it doesn't matter where you start or where you open to, you get a complete idea on every page. The other thing that makes this book great is the "No BS" approach. The answers get right to the point. Even when the answers were not as detailed as I hoped (they were great, I just wanted more of them) they did provide immediately actionable steps.

The book is packed with dozens of great ideas and no matter what page you land on you'll find something that you can use. Yes, you've heard some of the ideas before (but chances are you are not implementing them) but, the new nuggets are really very good.

I strongly recommend this book, I believe that any salesperson beginning or expert will learn something and find several new ideas that they can implement today.

Dave Lakhani

Author of Persuasion: The Art Of Getting What You Want

[...]

5.0 out of 5 stars Hits the bulls-eye, April 4, 2006
B. COLE (Beverly Hills, CA USA) - See all my reviews
A smart, real-world take on what works in selling. Gitomer has been at it long enough to know what works and what doesn't.

Digging from a treasure trove of decades of sales experience, he gives concise effective advice on what the "rainmaker" executive should know and use everyday.

He recommends you use at least one new idea a day so you can build on your already impressive arsenal of sales skills.

This is the third Gitomer book I own. The first was Sales Bible which is an awesome comprehensive collection of great sales ideas. The second is the Little Red Book of Selling which my top producer recommended to me (who makes over 500k a year) and this now is one of my favorite resources as an instant go-to-guide to get what works in selling so you can use it to make top dollar sales.

Use it and sell today.

5.0 out of 5 stars Jeffrey does it again! Another great book from a real sales professional., April 20, 2006
Jeffrey's Little Red Book of Sales Answers is a great quide on how to be a real sales professional. His answers are not always the easy answers to real world sales questions, but they are usually the best answers. Jeffrey challenges the sales person to stop being average and become great. Best of all, he tells you exactly how to do it! I have been an avid reader of Jeffrey's books for years and he has even inspired me to write my on book on sales. If you will follow Jeffrey's simple instructions, not easy, but simple instructions you will succeed in sales like you may have never believed possible. I hope you get as much from this book as I did. Good selling, David Otis Author of Walk Fast, Talk Loud and Smile (How to Succeed in Sales and Have Fun Doing It)

5.0 out of 5 stars Red is the best of Gitomer's books, April 29, 2007
I have a few of Jeffrey Gitomer's books and think the Little Red Book of Sales Answers is one of his best. If you have to pick a color, pick Red! :)
As far as my favorite business book I still pick The Brand Who Cried Wolf by Scott Deming. Think Gitomer could even learn something from that book.

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't believe the other reviews, October 15, 2007
Todd (Seattle, WA, United States) - See all my reviews
This book consists primarily of motivational ideas that are much better presented elsewhere. If you want sales motivation--success check out Brian Tracy. The sales ideas are weak and not original. For good sales information see Spin Selling, Question Based Selling, or Brian Tracy on Selling. If you've never read a book on sales or success you might like this one, but having read piles of books on sales and related subjects I say this is one of the worst. There are no original thoughts here!

3.0 out of 5 stars The first "Red" book is the one to buy!, June 2, 2007
Magicman (Orange County, CA USA) - See all my reviews

I love his "easy to read/no BS " style. Unfortunately for the reader there is nothing new here. Purchase the two aforementioned books and study those.

I agree with another reviewer that each book he comes out with is not as potent as his first books. But I don't blame him for writing these rehashed versions of his most popular books... He is making lots of $$$!

As a side note... I have been in executive management for many years, earned my MBA, have purchased numerous books on business and have been to many leadership, sales and management seminars. But I still fall back on Gitomer's books for reference and motivation.

5.0 out of 5 stars 'Red' needs to be read., March 28, 2006
John Cassetta (Near Carmen SanDiego) - See all my reviews
Jeffrey Gitomer is right on, again. He speaks to audiences of all kinds in his newest book. Whether you are new to the sales world and need guidance or you are a veteran who might need a kick in the a$$, this book has what you need. Jeffrey doesn't turn sales into rocket science, he keeps it simple by showing the value of "value."

I have read all of his books (several times each), seen him at two Gitomer Live seminars, joined him on several teleseminars, and listened to most of his CDs, so it's safe to say that I am a fan... but I can be objective nonetheless because I wouldn't invest my time in learning his ways if they didn't bring me value in my career.

5.0 out of 5 stars A really easy read, October 5, 2007
As a salesman once upon a time myself i know how little time 'good' salespeople get to read books, digest the information, work out how and when to use a technique and adapt their presentations when they have worked a full day and are expected to go out the next.

If i have just discribed YOU and you are pounding the highways then this is the book for you.

I was reading a comment left buy Dave Lakhani who put it so very well that i'd do worse than to repeat it. "You can pick this book up and open it at any page". This is exaclty my experience of the book which is why all salespeople looking to learn easy step by step new techniques should buy this book and have it next to them in the car to read a page or two before sitting an appointment.

Gary May