Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Little Red Book of Selling: 12.5 Principles of Sales Greatness
Your Garage Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc CaseLangVeirs Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer WienerDog WienerDog WienerDog  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro STEM

Format: Hardcover|Change

on April 20, 2005
This book is one of dozens out there that should go in the motivation section rather than the sales section. If you need motivation, this book is great. But if you are looking for solid advice on how to improve your sales technique, don't waste your money. The book is littered with cute phrases like "Kick your own ass", and "the more you love it, the more you will sell".

I bought the book because there are small nuggets of good information in it. I kept it because I know someday I will need motivation. But I quickly became tired of "Rah-Rah, I'm the best salesman ever, and you suck unless you work harder." Don't get me wrong, everyone could stand to work harder. But that wasn't what I was looking for.

If you want motivation, read this book. If you want solid sales advice, read "SPIN Selling", or "Soft Sell".
44 comments|275 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 19, 2006
Mine is obviously a dissenting opinion, but I vehemently disliked this little book. As one of the previous reviewers so aptly pointed out, it is not about selling, it is about personal motivation. If you need somebody to tell you the obvious things you need to do to be a successful sales person, then this book may help you. But if you're interested in learning about the sales process, there's just not much here.

The bombastic and cutesy writing quality is a big put-off for me, from the numbered lists that all end in ".5" to the use of semi-outrageous language. The author warns his readers that, "This book contains language used by real people used <sic> in real situations in sales." I don't know what crowd he is selling to, but I have been in sales for thirty-five years and I don't recall anyone ever using the word "puke" in a business conversation. The author must really like that word, as he overuses it throughout the book.

My biggest disappointment was that he actually hooked me in the introduction with the concept that we really should be studying how customers buy rather than how salesmen sell. That seemed like a clever and viable to way look at the selling/buying process, but there was unfortunately no follow up on that idea throughout the remainder of the book.

If you're trying to pump yourself up or have work ethic issues, then maybe it's worth the purchase, but if you appreciate good writing and thoughtful analysis, don't waste your twenty bucks.
22 comments|149 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 26, 2005
I have been in sales for at least seven years full time as an Executive Search Recruiter in the US, Japan, and New Zealand. I am a big believer in personal development and so I have read my fair share of sales books. To be honest there are books that forget to tell you that it will be difficult and take time to grow your business and ability but Jeff Gitomer's book does neither of these things. He is brutally honest and at the same time inspirational in his goal to make you the best salesperson you can be.... for life. This is not a book for people who need a quick fix to get them out of a slump or to even convince them that a sales career is for them. Jeff's main focus is on techniques and attitude to be the best. Not half way there, but the very best. He doesn't prescribe shortcuts although you can take pieces of his advice and use them the next day, ultimately he is suggesting you take the time to put your heart into your work for a lifetime. It is a concept that people who go to work for a pay check may really struggle to put into practice for an employer, but for business owners and those who want to push themselves for lifelong sales and professional achievement then I highly recommend this book to you.
on May 25, 2005
Some of this stuff isn't practical, like having your kid leave voice mail messages for hard to reach prospects (note to Jeff...it didn't work!).

However, the section about power questions was right on the money. 95 percent of all salespeople ask stupid, pointless questions. Power questions work.

A strong 3 1/2 stars. Not the best I've read, but worth the $$$.
33 comments|29 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 12, 2008
I'm sure Mr. Gitomer is a good salesman since he, after all, managed to sell me his book. But he's not a good author and his book is not worth the time. His practical advice ranges from things like "don't whine", "buy your own laptop if your company won't buy you one" to "stay up late to prepare for next day instead of watching TV."

Maybe there is some good advice in this book for children selling lemonade down the street, but its a joke for any true Sales/Marketing professional. There are tons of better books out there, don't waste your time on this one. For good books on complex sales, try "Solution Selling" by Bosworth or "Hope is not a strategy" by Page. They lay out a proven, scientific and structured approach to the entire sales cycle. My company uses it routinely to great effect.
Solution Selling: Creating Buyers in Difficult Selling Markets
Hope Is Not a Strategy: The 6 Keys to Winning the Complex Sale
on March 8, 2006
I bought this book because I work in a showroom designing and selling kitchens. I was looking for any tips that might help me close more sales. I found that the book was very informative but it didn't hold my attention because it was almost exclusively about how to be prepared for outside sales appointments and how to be successful making cold calls.
on January 12, 2015
I was recommended this book by a fellow business person. She believed it helped her a lot so I thought I'd give it a chance.

Here's the skinny. I am 25% through the beginning of this book. And it's almost entirely a bunch of cheerleading. Don't get me wrong. Mindset is very important. But I thought this was a book about sales tactics and strategies. So far, none. In the few moments where a gem may have presented itself, the author instead decides he'd rather withhold information and have you logged in to his website to get the dirt.

In essence, this book's main function is that of a lead page to another lead page. There doesn't appear to be any real content in here. The chapters are mostly comprised of tons of lists of things to keep in mind with little else following the bullet points, not a lot of depth or exploration. Not a lot, if anything, by way of solid philosophy or complete systems. Imagine a magazine's "Top Tips" articles compiled to make the length of a book.

I will keep reading in order to be fair, and I'll change my review if my findings in the future differ from my current review. For now, ironically enough for a supposed master salesman, this book is thin on value. It appears I've been sold. But not in the good way.

(Furthermore, I also got this book in audio format. I generally like when authors read their own books but the recording lacks a much-needed director and editor. A lot of fumbling over words. Sounds surprisingly unprofessional.)

IF YOU'RE LOOKING FOR MORE CLEAR SALES ADVICE, try The Psychology of Selling: The Art of Closing Sales (Art of Closing the Sale) or New Sales. Simplified.: The Essential Handbook for Prospecting and New Business Development.
on August 8, 2006
I bought this book in a moment of weakness. I'd had a rough prospecting day, was feeling down, and wondered into Barnes & Noble looking for something to cheer me up. The layout and feel of this book are great, they draw you in...but that's about it. When you delve into the material, you'll find it to be very shallow. Nothing new at all! In fact, it's a complete waste of time. I'm shocked to see all the good reviews.
on September 16, 2004
If there is a better designed book, I have yet to see it. This is a little 219-page gem with cloth boards and rounded corners, a pictorial cover, a stitched binding that opens flat, four colors of text on high quality matte finish coated paper, hard-hitting cartoons sprinkled throughout, and a ribbon bookmark. With all these extras it should cost at least 50% more, but it's the content that makes it worth many times its $20 price (or $14 here on Amazon). The design makes it beg to be carried around, opened, read, and digested, and that's exactly why it will be valuable beyond the price.

I'm not the type of salesman this book is directed to, but if I were I'd make it the constitution of my professional life. And if I were the head of a sales team, I'd make it mandatory reading. Every sales principle is delivered with rifle-like accuracy, and every objection to these principles is demolished with hurricane force.

And yet, I hasten to add that we're all salesmen (or saleswomen), according to Gitomer, because to be successful the first thing we have to sell is ourselves. "Many salespeople believe that customers buy their products and services first. Incorrect. The first thing prospects buy is the salesperson. The first sale made is you" (page 199). He's right. He tells us how to do that, and that's why this book deserves readership far beyond the world of salesmen.
on August 7, 2005
I ran across this book at the localbook store after my eye caught it's bright red cover. Now don't let the cover detract you from the actual content in the book. First off, the style in which Gitomer writes is very casual and he conveys his ideas in a very straightforward almost blunt manner, which I found refreshing.

Most of the content is similiar to ideas encompassed in other sales books: self-confidence, networking, branding, etc.
However, there are some great nuggets in the book that I had never read in other sales books. For example, he talks about how positioning yourself to provide value to a customer will develop into a long lasting relationship with a client. (Ok so that's general but I can't give away all the secrets!)

I particularily liked his networking tips, such as joining Toastmasters or getting involved with your local Chamber of Commerce as a way of exposure and developing relationships.

My only reservation about the book is that at the end of every chapter he promotes his website. While he does mention that branding is an important technique in distinguishing yourself from the competition, I felt it was a bit excessive and annoying. And I found one of his suggestions a bit dubious (mentioned in one of the other reviews: using your child to leave voice messages), but I think he was being only half serious with that one.

Overall, the book is a very easy read, entertaining, and applicable.