Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Little Secrets (with Limited Edition CD premium)
Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro

Format: DVD|Change

on February 13, 2003
This movie delighted even my husband - who does not do the kid flick thing. My children all loved it - age 6-10, though only the eight and up crowd understood all of the elements. What amazed the adults is that here was a charming movie of an unusual but believable over-achiever who simply profits by keeping secrets for other children. The characters we follow through the movie are entirely entertaining, although there were a few minor lapses in acting believability in some of the younger children in supporting roles.
The movie keeps the audience interested and entertained from one element to another as the secret keeper's own secrets sensitively unfold. We considered this worth watching several times and that is not something we usually do.
The drama of the story is not quite Oscar Material, maybe a 4.5 stars, but for a family movie, Mom and Dad will be pleasantly surprised and satisfied that it was money - and time - well spent. If you are looking for a stirring and entertaining movie for children age 8-100, this one should please everyone. I strongly recommend this purchase.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon June 18, 2003
If you're looking for a wonderful movie to watch with your kids, check out this one...it tells a very believable story with heart and integrity. Although it is probably geared towards females ages 7-12, it kept this adult riveted.
At the heart of the film is fourteen year old Emily (played by Rachel Wood) who is the neighborhood "secret keeper", charging a small fee so that the neighborhood children can unload their guilty consciences (and sometimes a broken item or two) with her. Unbeknownst to her young clients, however, Emily has her own secret, a huge one, which she has been hiding for years.
Meanwhile, complications ensue as Emily finds that secrets and lie have a way of growing more difficult to hide.
All of this unfolds in a very believable way. How refreshing to find a film that teaches solid values without heavy moralizing or preaching to its audience. I'm buying several copies to give as gifts because I think films like this deserve support..and, hopefully, more like this will be made. Highest recommendation for this one!
on June 25, 2014
This is a great movie for young and old. It is great for those who love music. I watched part of it on the Family Chanel on TV and did not find where it was viewing again. I ordered the DVD so I could have it in my library and watch it anytime.
Like another recently reviewed film, what irritates the heck out of me is that no one ever hears of films like this. In this case, the date of the film, 2001, gives us a clue as to why it fell through the cracks. After 9-11, no one had much taste for film. Bad timing.

Well: GET THIS NOW AND LOVE IT!! Evan Rachel Wood, charmingly willowy and adolescent here, plays a musical prodigy (violin) who moonlights as the neighborhood secret-keeper. She dispenses advice after hearing secrets, ranging from how best to hide the evidence of broken heirlooms to how one can masquerade as one's older sister. All her clients are delightfully under 10 years of age, and great little actors. The little girl who's dying for a collection of real cats and the intrepid autistic boy who finds a Tyrannosaurus Rex while digging to China are the show stealers at this stage of the film. If only the secret keeper can help the girl cope with the cats she's cat-napped, and help the boy decide how to handle his paleontological find!

Enter the magnificent Michael Angarano ("Sky High", "Forbidden Kingdom"), who is just now hitting his stride as a major star. Lanky and hilarious, with twitches and facial expressions that put the young Shia La Boeuf to shame, he appears as the new guy in town (which is implied to be Somewhere, Florida but is actually Salt Lake City, Utah).

With his flippant yet clumsy view of the world, he befriends Evan the Secret Keeper--then the fur flies when they all discover that secrets are not to be taken lightly...or piled steadily onto anyone's shoulders. The film ends beautifully with all the kids and the rest of the characters fessing up, thereby destroying the ugly karmic cycle of secret-keeping.

I was moved by a scene early in the film when Evan tells one of the children, "This isn't confession!"--I roared because that is exactly what it was. It was a place the children could tell their secrets (confess) and get guidance/comfort (absolution). If Catholic priests can't get it right, how on earth did this genuis-IQ 16 year old girl think she could do it?!

There is no swearing, and I cannot fathom the stupid PG rating on this G-quality film. (Except to repeat here the immortal words of Emma Thompson, who said that "a G-rating is the kiss of death for any film.") The performances are charming and real--the kids steal the show but not enough to make them look silly Disney-esque ragamuffin show-stealing.

Watch Evan move beautifully, like a young Grace Kelley: nonetheless we do not forget she's a sweet 16. Watch Michael Angarano, who doesn't hide even at this age (12) his beautiful, powerful physical abilites, yet he remains ever the weedy-help-me-I'm-stuck-in-puberty nerd.

Toward the end, though we know it all along, this film magnificently soars as a morality play. It sears and pierces the soul somewhat like Shakespeare--if he were alive today, I'll tell you: THIS would be his favorite film.

I can say--my wife will agree here--this film elicits laughter, tears and everything in between. Too few films like this, in our modern age dominated by either nonstop brainless action or gratuitous gross-out fests. This movie is rare, absolute fun.
on August 12, 2010
There are many other reviews here that outline what this film is about, so I won't bother repeating it here. However, I do want to say what a great film this is! I happened to catch it on one of the cable channels here recently, and although I must admit I've never heard of it before, I was completely won over by this charming film from the very beginning! I found the storyline to be quite original, and there were many valuable lessons to be learned along the way. I'm sure this film was intended for young adults, but I'm much older than that and still enjoyed it very much! In fact, I liked it so much that I just purchased the DVD here on amazon! The cast in this movie couldn't be better, and they all give wonderful performances! Evan Rachel Wood is perfection itself in her role as Emily, and the chemistry between her and the supporting cast easily deserves 5 stars. More recently, Evan co-starred with Larry David in the Woody Allen film "Whatever Works", and I couldn't believe this was the same actress! In "Little Secrets", she gives a very charming performance in what is certainly an excellent film for the entire family. In "Whatever Works", she gives a first rate comedy perfomance. After seeing these two films, I also checked out her break-through role in the movie "Thirteen", and saw still another side of Evan's great talent. In this, she tackles a serious dramatic role in a coming-of-age story about peer pressure that many young adults face along the way, and she handled the role brilliantly! After viewing "Little Secrets" and these other great films that she has made, I will certainly be wanting to check out some more! A great actress that should have a great future ahead of her!
on November 17, 2012
I watched with my wife. We're grandparents and have suggested it to our families as a movie to watch and learn from. It's the kind of film that could be put on pause periodically and a discussion about wrong and right choices discussed. Or, it is just good entertainment for the whole family.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon June 18, 2003
on July 13, 2004
For a person who does not exactly fit into the demographic for this movie nor likes that many kid flicks, I must say I thouroughly enjoyed this movie. The story is well-written and, taking into account the fact that this is a family movie, it is extremely well-acted. It tells the story of Emily and her neighborhood business of secret-keeper and her relization that keeping others' secrets (and hiding your own) is complicated. It also has charming subplots about first love, a new baby and determination, as well as the sorted secrets of all the kids in Emily's neighborhood Anyone who has seen either of the three principal actors in anything else will in my opinion be pleased with the movie and also find themselves feeling good after seeing it.
on March 7, 2003
Wow what a great family movie!After having read a great review I decided to buy it. Normally I like to view a movie first before buying. Everyone loved it in our family from our 6 and 10 year old sons and our 12 year old up to my husband and I. We have several action adventure movies,but those are a dime a dozen these days. My Husbands favors surf documentries, and silly cartoons are among my kids favorites. While I like comedy and romance, usually they are not appropriate for young viewers. Little secrets is truely a thoughtfully fun movie that quietly surrounds your heart. My question is when is the director going to make another? Thanks to the director and Tri Star for making something worth everyone watching.
on February 6, 2004
I love it when a movie comes along that entertains adults in the audience along with their kids. I thought the developing friendships and the strengthening family relationship were themes from which we could all learn and grow. Both the boys were adorable and Evan Rachel Wood was just fantastic. I loved the scenes where she interacted with her parents, who were wonderfully cast. In fact its interesting to note that the true life story of the woman who played the pregnant mother in the movie, Jan Broberg Felt, is written in a book available here on Amazon called Stolen Innocence: The Jan Broberg Story. It was a very interesting book and an amazing story.