Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Little Shop Of Horrors (1986 Film)
Your Garage Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Explore Premium Audio Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Segway miniPro STEM

Format: Audio CD|Change

on September 12, 1998
This soundtrack to one of the best musical/horror/comedies is lively and upbeat, and is a wonderful souvenir for those who adore the film. For those unfamiliar with 1986's "Little Shop of Horrors", this album is nonetheless a fantastic collection of broadway-style songs, conveying the tale of a meek flower-shop assistant who nurtures a rare species of talking plant until it becomes hungry for blood(!!!). This is a completely tongue-in-cheek modern take on 50's B-movies, with wacky characters belting out these great tunes which boast some of the most outrageous yet ingenious lyrics. The actors Ellen Greene, Rick Moranis, Steve Martin and Levi Stubbs (of the Four Tops, who voices the plant Audrey II) all shine as singers as well. It's all a whole lot of fun, and the musical styles are varied, ranging from honky-tonk to doo-wop to straightforward rock n' roll.
For those familiar with the musical stage play, the songs on this album vary slightly; some tunes were not used in the film and therefore do not appear here (no big loss IMHO) and there is an added track "Mean Green Mother From Outerspace" to go with the movie's altered ending. Of all the great movie soundtracks out there, this is a true favourite of mine which never ceases to please. Plant this one in your CD player and watch it grow for you.
on November 23, 2002
The movie was great, but the soundtrack is awesome. Hear some of your favorite songs from Little Shop of Horrors and sing along. My personal favorite is "Suddenly Seymore" where big comedian Rick Moranis shows off that he's not just a comedian, but he's also a big-time singer. Other hits such as "Mean Green Mother" and "Skid Row" also add spice to the whole CD. With a motown sound, the CD gives listeners a wide variety of examples of this music era at the same time express the feelings of the characters of the musical...
on September 20, 2000
This is one of the best soundtracks of all time. The music, from Howard Ashman and Alan Menken, is easily better than their work for Disney. The pop influence is great. Between Steve Martin's smarmy turn as Orin Scrivello D.D.S. and Ellen Greene reprising her Broadway role of Audrey... this one is a must have for musical fans.
on September 21, 2006
The film recording of Little Shop is the best recording of the score yet (despite missing many of the stage version's more superflous and campy ditties)The vocal arangements and orchestrations are the best and most appropriately complementary to the piece. They capture the sound, and spirit in full and with fun and excitement. The cast is superb, and Ellen Greene proved herself quite brilliant in her ability to adapt her stage performance for the small size of film. The performance of Levi Stubbs, criticized on this site, is actually the BEST interpretation and vocal performance of Audrey II to date, anywhere. It is the only performance to truly bring the role to life and is damn funny. The cuts and changes are all logical for the medium of film, and obviously approved of as they were made by Howard Ashman himself. The original off-broadway cast (yes, the show was NOT an official broadway show, therefore could not have won a tony for anyone) is the next best recording. But to those who harp on the film for cutting the stage songs, the original cast album is not the full score, and has cuts made as well. The New Broadway Cast recording, which had great potential and money behind it, is the full stage score. Yet the worst in orchestration, quality, and casting to date. Though bland enough to easily digest, it is no where close to the film's sound and energy.
on January 4, 2004
This isn't really the film soundtrack at all. Best I can tell it's a studio recording using most of the movie cast. Not only are some tracks vastly different than the film versions, there are tracks here not even included in the final film. That might sound good at first but because of these tracks, things like the Supper Time reprise are missing. Also, the sound quality is awful. There are times when you can barely hear certain singer (especially in The Meek Shall Inherit). Before you buy this CD, know that it's incomplete, poorly recorded, and different from the film. It does have the movie cast though, so if that's what you're after then this is the CD for you.
55 comments|23 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 28, 2015
All I could find elsewhere were the Broadway soundtracks, which are fine, but I really wanted the exact sound from the movie. I was obsessed with this musical as a kid. So I got this album, and I'm so glad I did, because it's perfect. The CD is brand new, and it's wonderful.
on September 28, 2014
This soundtrack is just plain fun. Oddly enough, it's better than the music in the actual movie, as it includes a couple songs that got cut (or severely edited) from the film. The lyrics were by Howard Ashman, who went on to write lyrics for the Disney 1990s revival (Little Mermaid, Beauty & The Beast, etc.)
on May 17, 2016
I was really excited to get this soundtrack, as this is one of my favorite musicals, however, I'm very disappointed. The cd will play but skips so frequently that it ruins the songs. I've tried it in my car CD player as well as my laptop and did player. It skips at the same spots no matter where I try to play it. There are no visible scratches on the disk, so, I am not sure what the problem is.
on October 26, 2012
I was looking for the soundtract for this movie for a while. I love the movie and love the music in the movie. Now I can listen to it any time I want to.

I imported the songs into iTunes and now have it on my iPod Touch. The songs are sung the same way they are in the movie. There is another CD for the Broadway Play but the movie version is my favorite.

I do not have to watch the whole movie when I want to listen to the music. I can still watch the movie but I do not always have time to do that.

This is a very good CD.
on November 7, 2013
I really enjoyed this movie (I enjoyed the show as well). The original movie became a cult classic, mainly because it contained a young and unknown Jack Nicholson, but it was a good idea to film it as a musical comedy, and include Ellen Greene from the original cast.