5.0 out of 5 stars You'll laugh and cry
It is truly a shame that the highest number of stars you can rate a book is five, because I would give this book a million stars if I could.It is truly one of the two best books I have ever read. (The other off course is Little Women).
Published on January 18, 2000 by Judy

2.0 out of 5 stars Avoid the IndiePublish Hardback edition
Please note, this is and has always been, one of my favorite stories. I am not reviewing the story Little Men, but the way it was published by IndiePublish. I would give the story 5 stars, but this presentation only two.

On the bright side, the cloth binding appears very well done and should last quite a while.

Unfortunately, the publisher chose to...
Published on February 19, 2005 by Athelas

5.0 out of 5 stars You'll laugh and cry, January 18, 2000
This review is from: Little Men (Signet Classics) (Mass Market Paperback)
Little men is a book that can make you both laugh and cry. The morals inside are more useful than any of the ten commandments. Louisa May Alcott has definetly done it again.
Without giving away everything, these are some of the reasons why you will enjoy the book:
1) You see Jo grow up. She is no longer the wild child who's impetuous and androgynous character often lead her to trouble. She inherits maternal qualities that you never expected Jo to have.
2) You will get more insight on the professor. Although I truly wanted Teddy and Jo to get together, this book made me think otherwise. Professor Bhaer, with Jo's help, makes a delightful father to the boys. He is the one you will get most of the life morals from.
3) The boys in Plumfield are definetly the key figures in the book. They create both the mischievious and melancholy stories. As I said, 'you'll laugh and cry'. Reading about these boys will make everyone reflect on their own lives.
4) Teddy grows up too. If you enjoyed the young scandulous Teddy, you'll enjoy the new one even more. In little men, Teddy (like Jo) has grown into a real mature father.
There are plenty more exciting things in the book. It is truly a classic masterpiece recommended to anyone who needs a lift in their spirit.

5.0 out of 5 stars The wild boys at Plumfield run amok! Jo rejoices!, November 30, 2001
This review is from: Little Men (Signet Classics) (Mass Market Paperback)
While Little Men is not up to the literary achievement of Little Women, it is a wonderful tale for kids. It is JUST perfect for reading chapter by chapter to kids as part of an evening family night. It is as jolly as a house full of rambunctious boys could be.
Jo Bhaer, nee March, has boys of her own now and boys to spare. She and the Professor take in students based on charity and kindness. Some boys are neglected, some are badly brought up, all need love, laughter and a caring environment. Plumfield is all that and more.
The jolly goings-on make you wish you could have gone to school and lived at Plumfield. The book is prevented from being saccharine by the all-too-familiar themes of neglected kids, growing pains and the sad and much too early death of a favorite character from Little Women.
There is lots of fun, and lots to discuss in this sequel to Alcott's marvelous Little Women. Lest you think boys won't like Alcott, I know more than one man who loves Little Women even as an adult.

2.0 out of 5 stars Avoid the IndiePublish Hardback edition, February 19, 2005
This review is from: Little Men (Hardcover)

Unfortunately, the publisher chose to reformat all the paragraphs in the text so that like this review all margins are left justified and a blank line separates the paragraphs. If it were done well, it might have worked ok, but it was done very clumsily with the completion of a sentence often being separated from the rest of the paragraph. (I have a suspicion that the reformatting of an original text was done by using a Find-Replace function of a word processor and not checked by an editor.) This makes for some awkward readings, and probably not something I would want to put into the hands of a child.

Also the text was not proofed for typos or other simple errors in punctuation, and there are some places where I could not tell what the original sentence was intended to say. Again, I expect that the only proofing done on this version was by a spellchecker and a lot of simple mistakes entered into the publication.

I wish to repeat, that I love this story and have since I was a boy, and would recommend the story to any child, but would not recomment this particular volume.

5.0 out of 5 stars Trilogy, February 27, 2001
This review is from: Little Men (Signet Classics) (Mass Market Paperback)
Little Men is (for those who do not know) a sequel to Little Women. Little Men is a wonderful and enticing book about the main character in the previous book, Jo. Jo and her husband are running a school for boys although there are few exceptions. Most of the book is a about their adventures, and Jo picks up many more people to live and learn at her school, for she is running a boarding school. The book will warm your heart right from the begining and you will read on not stopping even a moment. : )

5.0 out of 5 stars Love the characters, esp. the firebrand, May 10, 2000
This review is from: Little Men (Signet Classics) (Mass Market Paperback)
Well, this book always will remain among my favorites, one that touches me and makes me feel. I think that when I was little, I saw a cartoon series about it. At that time, I didnt know that it was based on the novel by Louisa May Alcott. The success of this stories is the wide ranges of characters shown in this book, the spirit, moral conduct, inner strength, and most of all, the splash of fun and careless boyish pranks. THe setting is great, and I like to see how the old characters are developed, as well as the new. Strangely, my favorite character out of all the interesting ones was Dan, Jo's favorite firebrand. I liked how behind his rough nature and blazing dark eyes, and careless attitude, there is gentlenes, courage, and inner strength which Jo gradually brings out of him. And needless to say, Dan is a black sheep that Jo continues to cling on to. Yet, I liked the others as well, including rascal TOmmy, music loving Nat (especially how loyal Dan is to him), tomboy Nan, thoughtful Demi, little and big Teddy, (and Amy, who I am one of those rare people that wanted her to get with Laurie,) and adorable little Bess. All these heartwarming characters create a fire in the story which really warms me up. I've read Jo's Boys, and I like Little Men better because I can feel the spirit of things. Jo's Boys made me feel depressed. SO, this is a great book and surprizingly, the tone was very different from LIttle Women (which I liked greatly) and I just think that the firebrand is the most dashing character in it. He kind of reminds me of Laurie, except in a different, stronger way. Jo's Boys made me sad that all was to an end.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome Little Men, November 18, 2003
This review is from: Little Men (Signet Classics) (Mass Market Paperback)
Little Men was a very well written book. It had many fun adventures, great characters, great dialog, and all in all it was an awesome book.
I loved the way the author wrote the little children's voices just right!! It just made me have to stop and laugh!

When you read this book it is not like reading, it is like watching a movie!! That is how well written this book really is!! You could even see the house and the rooms!! I know what every room looks like and how to get there!
I could see the boy's foot when he hurt it and I could see his face when the doctor had to fix it.
I love this book!! It is not a girly book like I thought it would be. In fact it is quite a boy book!! A boy or a girl could read this book and really enjoy it!!
I would recommend this book for ages 12 and up.
By Seth Courtney Age 13 Grade 7

4.0 out of 5 stars A childhood favorite that lasts, August 6, 2000
This review is from: Little Men (Paperback)
"Little Men" was one of my childhood favorites (I found "Little Women" too sad), and I was pleased to find on rereading it that it's almost as much fun for me now as it was when I was ten. Loosely plotted, it's a good bedtime book, because each chapter or couple of chapters presents a complete vignette. After all, you don't always want to be reading a book that keeps you up till all hours! Life at Plumfield is almost idyllic, with just enough conflict to keep things moving along. When I was a child, I longed for a museum like theirs, and a miniature cast-iron stove, and all kinds of things--the book was wonderful for my imagination. N.B.: I tried reading it to my boys, and even though it's about boys, they were bored, so it may be a girl book.

5.0 out of 5 stars I really got caught up in this book, February 2, 2000
This review is from: Little Men (Signet Classics) (Mass Market Paperback)
I really loved this book! I got so caught up in the lives of Nan, Daisy, Nat, Dan, Demi and all the other wonderful characters in this book. I found myself wishing that Plumfield existed, such a wonderful school. If Plumflied did exist I would go there in a heart beat. This is a must read for anyone, especially if you are feeling that most books these days don't satisfy you. I highly recomend this book to anyone.

5.0 out of 5 stars Really fun and exciting to read!, July 17, 1998
By A Customer
I really liked this book because it was really exciting and fun all at the same time! I mean, the characters in the book were just so fun to be with and when you are reading the book, it almost seems like you are there with them. I just really enjoyed the book because Louis wrote it so well! I've also read Jo's Boy and that one was good too, but somehow, I couldn't finish Little Women. But Little Men, was written exceptionally well!

4.0 out of 5 stars REVISITING MY PAST..., June 5, 2010
This review is from: Little Men (Mass Market Paperback)
This sequel to Little Women (Unabridged Classics) is a favorite classic, and second in the series that ends with Jo's Boys. I read all of these books as a child, and the additional Alcott books as well.

To satisfy a reading challenge, I have decided to reread some of these old favorites.

Little Men was delightful, highlighting the wonderfully compassionate nature of Jo and her husband, Professor Bhaer, whom she met in Little Women. At the end of that book, Jo's Great-aunt March, the cranky old woman who seemed too demanding at times has left her house (Plumfield) to Jo. Now Jo and Fritz (Professor Bhaer) have opened a school for boys. Most of the boys appear to be troubled or challenged in some way. The story tells us various antics and behaviors exhibited by the boys, and displays how Jo and Fritz deal with these issues.

After reading the biography Louisa May Alcott: The Woman Behind Little Women (John MacRae Books), I could see the parallels between LMA's father's ideals and their methods in dealing with the recalcitrant boys.

The book was colorfully illustrated in the edition I reread, and was reminiscent of the book I read as a child.

While I would always recommend any Alcott book, I must admit that Little Men did not resonate with me the way Little Women (Unabridged Classics) did. Therefore, I must award four stars, while restating that the story was wonderful and brought back those childhood moments.

Little Men (Signet Classics)
Little Men (Signet Classics) by Joe L. Wheeler (Mass Market Paperback - February 4, 1986)
Used & New from: $0.01