Truck Month Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc A. Sinclair Father's Day Gift Guide 2016 Fire TV Stick Get Ready for Summer and Save 15% The Baby Store Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Cash Back Offer DrThorne DrThorne DrThorne  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Outdoor Recreation Learn more

on February 15, 2002
What's a little, strawberry loving mouse going to do to keep a big, hungry, strawberry loving bear from eating his fruit? Especially when "the big, hungry Bear can smell a red, ripe strawberry a mile away..." Well, with a little clever help from the reader, this turns out to be an easy problem to solve..... Don and Audrey Wood have authored an entertaining, interactive treasure that's sure to charm and delight kids from 1 to 91. Their simple text is joyous and engaging, But this is really a story told through the marvelous illustrations. Mr Wood's bold, bright, and amusing artwork stars a most endearing little furry friend, and youngsters will love all the captivating facial expressions and wonderful, humorous detail in each two page spread. The Little Mouse, The Red Ripe Strawberry, And The Big Hungry Bear is a masterpiece little ones will beg to read again and again, and a timeless classic to share with friends, family, and future generations.
on August 31, 2010
I love this book in hardcover, but I was sorely disappointed with the board book version. The colors are faded and the illustrations are cropped in such a way that some of the magic of the original work is lost. I purchased this as a gift, but I'm returning it. Still a great book, but just be warned that the board book version doesn't do it justice.
22 comments|69 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 27, 2000
A wonderful book truly suitable for children from birth up (and for all of us big kids!). The sense of suspense created by the anticipation of the Big Hungry Bear's arrival is offset by the humorous facial expressions of this cute Little Mouse. A wonderful book which encourages a most important social value - sharing. It has large bright illustrations with minimal text on each page, so it is both highly attractive to babies and toddlers, and ideal as an early reader. Long words such as "disguised" are used to help expand vocab but are so cleverly illustrated that the meaning of the word is easily apparent even to toddlers (I won't spoil it by telling you how - but this is a MUST see!). The book also cleverly introduces basic math concepts such as one being cut in two, then sharing half. Again beautiful illustrations make this concept very clear. I have a three year old, and I also work with children from about 6 weeks old up to high school age. It is rare not to get a very positive response, even from those who are supposedly outside the book's age range. Seeing half a dozen tiny babies, or a group of busy toddlers, totally enthralled for a few minutes is wonderful. My son and I both love this book. If you like to dramatise (eg. different voices, noises, movements to the story) then this book will give you lots of scope. If you're a bit hesitant about trying dramtisation (or feel a little silly) go ahead and try it - you and your child(ren) will enjoy the book that much more. This wife and husband team are unbeatable, keep an eye out for other titles from them, especially Quick as a Cricket.
on July 20, 2000
My 3-year old daughter and I were in the local bookstore, and she came running over to me with this book in her hand. She had just been playing with a baby mouse at the petstore, and we had compromised by buying her a small stuffed mouse instead. When she found this, she was convinced this was the story of her mouse, who, like her, loves strawberries. I had to read it to her five times in a row before she'd even let me buy it; I can't even begin to count how many times I've read it to her in the week since. She just loves the mouse, the expressions on his face, and the joy of eating her favorite fruit right after! This is a great book that belongs in every child's library.
on September 15, 2001
The Story: A mouse is in the process of picking a red ripe strawberry when you, the reader, come upon him. You warn the mouse about "The Big Hungry Bear" who loves "Red Ripe Strawberries." Though the darling little mouse looks up at you with wide, worried eyes, he really wants that strawberry and continues to pick it and drag it back to his little home, where he tries hiding it, guarding it, disguising it, etc. Finally, the reader tells the little mouse the only way he can save his strawberry from the "Big Hungry Bear" is to "Cut it in two, share half with me, and we will eat it all up."
Your little mouse will love this book, and so will you. The illustrations are absolutely fantastic, and the mouse is one of the most expressively drawn characters in children's books. It's a quick read accompanied by bright, colorful, beautifully painted pages that will keep the attention of even the youngest child, and have your older child giggling and reading along with you.
on June 27, 2008
This book is written in the form of a narrator talking directly to the main character, the little mouse. (Spoiler alert - there probably isn't really a bear.)

Very cute, very simple - each page has only one or two lines on it - and some clever illustrations (one one page, the mouse disguises his strawberry in a pair of fake glasses with a nose).

Only thing is that this book has been abridged slightly. The non-board book versions have a few illustrations that were left out of this version, and some of the two-page spreads in the other versions were cut down into one page in this version, making a few pages look a little choppy. Also, the last page of the book has become this book's back cover and blurb.

It doesn't ruin the book, or make it close to unreadable, but if I had to do it again I'd just buy the longer version to start with.
on October 16, 2014
I'm very disappointed with this book! I have the paperback from when I was a child, but thought a board book would be better for my son until he's a little older. In this book, they combine lots if pages, and the last page is actually on the back of the book! I hate that! Just add 3-4 more pages...we have plenty of board books that are thicker and are just fine. I have no idea why they insisted on cramming all of the words and pictures onto so few pages.
on April 16, 2002
Cleverly conceived, the reader is the narrator in this enchanting little board book. Beautifully written, the story will engage small children while mesmerize infants with the OUTSTANDING illustrations.
The storyteller (that's you) starts out "Hello, little Mouse. What are you doing?" The reader sees an adorable, little mouse sauntering down a road carrying a ladder with a suspicious expression on his face.
The story continues, "Oh, I see. Are you going to pick that red, ripe strawberry?" The mouse is standing with his hands on hips wearing a big, proud grin. He has successfully propped the ladder up to a strawberry bush.
"But little Mouse, haven't you heard about the Big Hungry Bear?" The mouse now fruitfully up the ladder, appears extremely frightened by the readers' announcement of the Big Hungry Bear. The story continues as the narrator does his (or her) best to save the mouse, and the strawberry from the "Big Hungry Bear."
"The Little Mouse, The Red Ripe Strawberry, & the Big Hungry Bear", is an irresistible short story that reinforces sharing and caring, and is truly a delightful experience for children and reader a like. One-year and up.
on February 25, 2016
One of my favorite classic stories in a board book. I know others have mentioned the quality of the drawings, but i have compared it with the paper book version I have at home and the pictures are the same. I think this is a wonderful board book version of one of our favorite stories.
on June 12, 2001
I taught a class of 1-2 year olds when I was in high school. We must have read this book a minimum of three times every day. There were plenty of other books, but the classroom full of toddlers sat with twinkling eyes everytime we read this wonderful story. After a couple of weeks I memorized it all, and the children did too! As we read through the book, a little chorus of voices would join in saying "BOOM BOOM BOOM!" right along with me. The illustrations are absolutely adorable, the style is wonderfully entertaining for children and adults. The one book you won't mind reading a hundered times over- and it's a good thing too!