5.0 out of 5 stars Seriously
Published on December 31, 2010 by Tadd J. Turczyn

3.0 out of 5 stars A nightmare to assemble, but very sturdy, and a huge hit!
Published on February 20, 2010 by Melissa Ott

5.0 out of 5 stars Seriously, December 31, 2010
This review is from: Little Tikes Cozy Coupe 30th Anniversary Car (Toy)
I find the complaints on here a little hard to believe. I found the instructions, while lengthy, very simple to follow and easy to accomplish. This is a great product. I put the coupe together Christmas Eve, after about five cocktails, and it still only took me about twenty minutes. Some people just like to complain, I guess... and others are incapable of doing things for themselves.

My little girl (14 months) loves her coupe and was playing in it instantly. She quickly figured out how to get in the seat and start to play. The cutest thing is watching her open and close the doors herself and then draping her arm over the windowsill, just like a grownup.

If you are at all handy, do not be intimidated by the complainers... it is an easy job, well documented and quality constructed item.

5.0 out of 5 stars Years of fun after the 1 hour nightmare assembly, December 31, 2010
Length:: 4:32 Mins

I have put together a lot of toys for my daughter, including the Kidkraft Suite Elite Kitchen but nothing has never compared in terms of frustration level to the Little Tikes Cozy Coupe! It can be put together, but it is not fun... I've included some pointers in the video portion of the review.

Ok, so the assembly is a nightmare, but once it was assembled our daughter loves her cozy coupe. I mean she really loves it! She likes the little horn on the steering wheel and I like the removable floor. Our daughter is currently 15 months and she is still a little too small to propel herself... she tries but she usually starts to fall underneath the Cozy Coupe. However, we installed the floor she learned that she could sit back and enjoy the ride.

One thing that is worth mentioning is that once this thing is assembled it is pretty robust and seems to be well-built.

Pros-

+ A nice design for both boys and girls

+ The removable floor means that it grows with your child

+ Our daughter loves the little horn on the steering wheel

Cons-

- We have all talked about the assembly - here are a few of my tips
- Use a rubber mallet instead of a hammer
- Forget using a screwdriver - you will need to either pre-drill the holes or use a decent cordless screwdriver (It needs some muscle)
- If you can find videos (in addition to mine) - watch them prior to assembly. Taking parts back off of the Cozy Coupe will make your nightmare that much worse.

- Why can't they add a few words in the instructions... such as "This part is a sticker"

- It would have been great if there was an optional handle - I can push the Cozy Coupe but I must scrunch quite a bit

- Unless you open the door it is a bit of a challenge to get into and out of... not that big of a deal, but our daughter has not mastered the door yet!

Final Verdict-The Cozy Coupe is a great toy if you are up to putting it together!

4 Stars ( minus 1 for assembly)

3.0 out of 5 stars A nightmare to assemble, but very sturdy, and a huge hit!, February 20, 2010
Melissa Ott (Oak Harbor, WA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Little Tikes Cozy Coupe 30th Anniversary Car (Toy)
I see I'm not the only one who had a hard time assembling this thing! My daughter couldn't wait for me to get it out of the box and assemble it the second it arrived. So, I pulled it out of the box and very quickly figured out it was going to take a lot of time and concentration to get the stupid thing put together. I had to make my daughter go down for her nap and continue working on it. It took me two solid hours to put together! The instructions are very poorly illustrated and difficult to understand. More than once, I thought I'd assembled the wheels incorrectly and tried to remedy the issue by taking them apart. I quickly discovered that once you hammer the bolt on that holds the wheels together, they don't come off . . . even with a sledgehammer, crowbar, whatever! So, that speaks to the durability. It definitely held up to my efforts at assembly without so much as a scratch! That said, make sure you understand the instructions and are 100% sure you are doing it correctly before you proceed. Also, make sure you follow the instructions exactly in order, even if you think your way makes more sense (such as putting the steering wheel on before attaching the roof). You will wind up having to take apart what you did before in order to assemble some other aspect of the car. Also, while the roof supports were difficult to get into their slots, I found the most difficult part of assembling the car to be screwing the screws into their allotted indentations. That's right. You don't even get pre-drilled holes to screw the screws into. Just a slight indentation in the plastic indicating that's where it's supposed to go. It takes quite a bit of elbow grease to get those screws in. I managed to eventually get the top screws in. My hand ached like crazy, I had banged up knuckles from the effort, and one of the screws went in a bit cockeyed, but at least they were in! The bottom screws were a different story. You have to go in from inside the cup holders. With the length of the screws and the length of the screw driver, it is impossible to get the screws in straight or provide enough leverage/pressure to actually puncture the plastic and get the screw in there. I finally had to give up and just wait a couple of days until my husband could do it. In the meantime, my daughter drove around with the screws just hanging out in the cup holder and the back roof supports frequently pulling out of their slots.

Even with the pain of assembly, and the quite obvious "mistakes" where the car looks a little funny due to my imperfect assembly (the best I could do!), my daughter is absolutely enamored with her new toy. It has made the biggest hit by far that any toy has ever made in her two years of life. I have had a hard time getting her to come out of the thing! She's been sitting in it to watch movies, driving it all over the house, eating in it, attempting to take it on walks, and even insisted on sleeping with it right beside her the first night she had it. It's worth all the hard work to see her enjoying the toy so much. But I would definitely not give it anything more than three stars after the nightmare my husband and I went through in trying to put the thing together!

3.0 out of 5 stars Great concept, poor design and quality, luck there isn't a competitor, July 10, 2010
Prime "Prime" (San Jose, CA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Little Tikes Cozy Coupe 30th Anniversary Car (Toy)
I just spent the last 90 minutes putting this product together. Let me pause and say that I have a Mechanical Engineering degree and I normally do not have any problems assembling any products. But this product simply has the worst design that I've ever seen. The parts do not fit together (you really have to brute force your way in, especially the five yellow pieces that combine to be the top. Also, I actually have to buy this item TWICE because the first package didn't come with one of the shafts--does any one even sanity check the content of the box before packaging!? From reading others' reviews, this is not uncommon either, people have complained missing screws, steering wheels, wheels, etc. WTF!?

This is supposed to be the "Best Selling car in the US" and have been so for 30 years, and it just amazes me how poorly the quality/design/manufacturing the product is. If another company actually steals the concept and makes a half-way decent car, they would've crushed the sales of the Cozy (Crazy) Coupe. Also the wheels are secured by a washer that you tight-fit with a hammer--which I am not sure is the best way to design a durable wheel assembly, I do have concersn that one day the wheel will fall off but we shall see.

Bad design aside, once the car is put together, the concept is actually quite fun and I can't wait for my son to try it out tomorrow morning Flintstone style!

CONCLUSION: Beware of the poor assembly and possible missing parts. Pick a cool day to assemble this (you will use tons of force and energy, it's a great workout). (I would recommend getting an electric drill for the screws as well)

1.0 out of 5 stars A pain to put together, and their support sucks, May 30, 2009
= Durability:1.0 out of 5 stars  = Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars  = Educational:1.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Little Tikes Cozy Coupe 30th Anniversary Car (Toy)
My parents bought this for my son, who admittedly does love it. But the thing is a nightmare to put together (especially the six red caps that go over the exposed metal rods). And has been pointed out, the instructions are worthless.

And no sooner did I get it together, one of the red caps broke, leaving an exposed metal rod that he could get hurt on.

So I went online and filled out the form to get a replacement of what has to be a thirty cent item. And although this is the 30TH ANNIVERSARY COUPE that only came out THIS YEAR, I was told I'd need to provide proof of purchase to show that it was purchased this year just to get a replacement for a badly designed part that is there to ensure safety.

I'm sorely tempted to return this car, and to avoid Little Tikes products until they improve their customer service.

Edit:
My parents insisted on keeping the car, and although we found the receipt & emailed it to them per their instructions to get a replacement part, they've yet to send it. My parents still like it, but from my perspective the quality is lacking & their customer service sucks.

5.0 out of 5 stars Alivea's 2nd Birthday!, March 30, 2010
This review is from: Little Tikes Cozy Coupe 30th Anniversary Car (Toy)
We bought the Cozy Coupe for our grandaughters 2nd birthday. It arrived the day of her party so we didn't have time to put it together before giving it to her. No problem for Alivea....she got so excited when she saw the box....the adventure began! My son-inlaw was removing the pieces from the box and Alivea was already finding ways to play with them. After just a few minutes when the car was taking shape, Alivea was already setting in it. We had to remove her so her Dad could finish assembling the car with the help of his brother. The next morning, my daughter (Alivea's Mom) told me that Alivea had to eat her breakfast in the car. The Cozy Coupe is a great value for the money! Very easy to assemble, extremely durable and just loads of fun to ride in and go! We highly reccommend the Little Tykes Cozy Coupe.

1.0 out of 5 stars Very Poorly Designed and Manufactured, December 25, 2012
This review is from: Little Tikes Cozy Coupe 30th Anniversary Car (Toy)
Having wanted one of these back when I was a kid, I was very excited about buying one for our daughter. But then I began to assemble the toy on Christmas morning and didn't get far before I ran into issues. First, the the instructions said to insert a screw in one location to fix two parts together. Except one of the two parts didn't have a hole for the screw to go through. An impossible problem? No; but frustrating none the less. Then the instructions said to hold two other parts down so that they were flush with the body of the car. The parts did not fit well together at all.. Again, not an impossible problem, but certainly disappointing. Then two more screws were supposed to be inserted to hold the previous two parts to the car body. Once again, holes were missing from two of the parts, but worse, the screws included were 1/2" shorter than what the instructions specifically listed. This made proper assembly of the toy with the included parts impossible. I very well could have gone to the hardware store, bought some longer screws for a buck or two, and assembled the toy so that my daughter could be playing with it tonight. But at this point I decided to go no further. After the missing screw holes and the poorly manufactured parts that wouldn't fit together properly, the incorrect screws were the straw that broke this camels back, and I decided this lack of quality was not acceptable. It's a real shame, because the Cozy Couple had been a great children's toy for decades, but it looks like Little Tikes has gone the route of so many other companies these days and chosen to sacrifice quality rather than improve productivity to increase their profit.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great toy for many years!, September 5, 2013
This review is from: Little Tikes Cozy Coupe 30th Anniversary Car (Toy)
The child LOVES this little car. Instructions were good and all parts arrived intact. Over the years I have bought ten of these little cars and inevitably the kids, like my own thirty years ago, made the car THE MOST USED TOY!

I have read the reviews about the assembly...

I agree that the directions were pictures and actual written directions were few (pictures work in ANY language) but the only hard/a little confusing part was the assembly of the roof... you have to have the back posts connected to the roof before you put it on, then you stand the two front posts up...then with the roof and the two back posts connected, you have to put the roof on the two front posts at about a 30 degree angle then PUSH down until they lock together...

THEN you can bring the back posts into place and nail them down with the two red nails...

I did not use a hammer, I used a rubber mallet and that was best.

I did not go to youtube to see the video, but imagine that would have helped.

The assembly is NOT daunting, but it could use better explanations in the written word.

Hope that helps.

Oh my, the child would live in that car if we left him there...I hope it is not a harbinger of things to come...LOL

ENJOY!

1.0 out of 5 stars What kind of IKEA rejects designed this?, April 1, 2012
This review is from: Little Tikes Cozy Coupe 30th Anniversary Car (Toy)
What a pain in the a$$ to put together - and I'm pretty handy. This car is about 3x more complicated than it needs to be. Look elsewhere.

5.0 out of 5 stars Assembly gets a bad rap! Use the video!!, February 16, 2010
This review is from: Little Tikes Cozy Coupe 30th Anniversary Car (Toy)
We just received this adorable little car for our baby's 1st birthday. We were nervous to embark on putting it together after reading all of the horror stories. My husband and I are not the most handy but we really had a fairly easy time putting the car together. I STRONGLY recommend using the assembly video online instead of the paper instructions. I watched it once before we started and then watched/paused as we went along step by step. We only had a little trouble screwing on the roof--be sure to start the screws early as advised by a 'tip' in the video. Really helps to use a drill or electric screwdriver for this part. Another little tip from me: I took all the small parts and laid them out in the box they came in and used a sharpie to label the part's letter--made it easy to grab the one you needed as you go. Othwerise, our baby is LOVING his new car and we are very pleased with our purchase.

Little Tikes Cozy Coupe 30th Anniversary Car
$58.99 $42.99
In stock but may require an extra 1-2 days to process.