4.0 out of 5 stars A most enjoyable and passionate journey.
Hiroshima are not so much a band but an institution nowadays in the USA, they symbolise the classic maxim, 'East Meets West' whereby the music of Asia is fused with the music of North America and Europe but also the fusing of cultures both old and new.
Published on June 4, 2007 by power

2.0 out of 5 stars Which way are you going?
Some of your most recent CD's are getting confusing musically in which direction you want to go, especially this one. The koto is slowly missing on a lot of your songs. I do expect better. This current CD is so so.
Published on November 28, 2008 by D. Ramseur

4.0 out of 5 stars A most enjoyable and passionate journey., June 4, 2007
power (London, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Little Tokyo (Audio CD)
On this new release , the Japanese Americans Dan and June Kuramoto, which form the basis of Hiroshima, continue with their tried and trusted formula of fusing the music of their present and past.
"Little Tokyo", which is named for a well known Asian neighborhood in Southern California, combines Asian, Latin American, African American and more influences into their compositions.
There is an exotic dimension to this CD collection the defies definition. That it is one of Hiroshima's most creative releases to date is definite.
Every performance shines with individuality, whether in solo or in group expression.Guest keyboardist and labelmate James K. Lloyd of Pieces of a Dream joins in on the catchy tune titled "Lanai".
The album offers a cocktail of young and old, east and west, funky tunes and contemporary jazz grooves with a dash of lyricism and the result encapsulates the dedication and reverance of some of today's finest exponents of Japanese and American idioms.
If you haven't heard any of Hiroshima's music yet, this is a good starting point and you will soon be looking for those back catalogue albums to learn more about their unusal musical adventure.
This is most enjoyable album of diversity,it is like a journey, not a destination for a band who have enjoyed more than 30 years of success playing music in a style and mode which is consistent with today's evolving cross cultural themes.

5.0 out of 5 stars Little Tokyo is a big success!, November 9, 2007
This review is from: Little Tokyo (Audio CD)
I've been a fan of Hiroshima for 20 years, collecting their latest CD as soon as they were released. I bought Little Tokyo in the real Tokyo (ironic, isn't it?) and I enjoy it very much. Sooner or later, this CD finds its way out of the plastic case and into my player when I'm at home. Highly recommended!

5.0 out of 5 stars Smooth Jazz CD, June 26, 2007
This review is from: Little Tokyo (Audio CD)
This CD is a smooth soothing jazz style.
A very relaxing blend of music.
Similar sytle to earlier works such as Turning Point, and I Do Remember.
Must have for any Hiroshima fan.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Great Follow Up to "Obon", August 4, 2007
dwood78 (Long Beach, CA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Little Tokyo (Audio CD)
"Obon" will be remembered as one of Hiroshima's very best albums, mainly because they got rid of the vocalists & doing cover songs & focus mainly what made them popular; mixing jazz with East Asian & other styles of world music.

Whereas "Obon" was largely Asian favored, "Little Tokyo" takes us around the world & back. From the middle-eastern-sounding "Midnight Sun" to a trip to the Caribbean with "Sir Charles". "Red Beans & Rice" is a tip to New Orleans while "Drama" is a R&B-ish track.

For those who want East Asian favors, it's still present with "Hidden Times" (who would have known that kotoist June Kuramoto had a Black family that she never knew about until recently), "Shades of Honor" (which should have been the disc closer not "Little Tokyo Underground") & the Chinese sounding "Quan Yin" (with the return of erhuist Karen Hwa-Chee Han).

As with "Obon", Hiroshima scores a winner. Fans of the group won't be disappeared.

5.0 out of 5 stars a wonderful blend of different forms of music producing something very different and beautiful, July 14, 2014
This review is from: Little Tokyo (Audio CD)
What a refreshingly great group. Hiroshima is an Asian-American band that blends so wonderfully Japanese music with that of jazz and world elements the results being something so different and beautiful. They have been around since 1974 this is their 2007 release. I picked this up while shopping in a music store I've a few of their songs. I fell in love with the sound. The songs are strong and really upbeat, you can't help but feel good listening to these guys. Personally I love the whole album I guess you could call it smooth jazz but I like to call it good music. I remeber hearing Duke Ellington say something once "there are only two kinds of music-good music and bad music." I lot of times the lines get blurred and on this cd we see this, so many elements of different forms of music yet played well by some great musicians. Check these guys out I think you will fall in love with their wonderful sound.

5.0 out of 5 stars Hiroshima - Class Act Always!, August 4, 2013
InnateShopper (Central Valley, CA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Little Tokyo (Audio CD)
I love this music, and can't wait to see them at Jack London Square in a few weeks. I will always remember the first time I heard their unique sound at Yoshi's (shout-out YAY!), and the good times we've all shared there. This CD purchase was a re-purchase, as I wanted friends new to their sound to get ready for the upcoming show. Don't believe in burning media, except within a single household, amongst one's own various computers/players. Amazon's amazing prices make it easy enough to do. Thanks!

5.0 out of 5 stars very good, January 22, 2013
This review is from: Little Tokyo (Audio CD)
I think this is one of their better albums and listen to this one often. Definitely a recommend if you want to sample something from Hiroshima or are already a fan.

5.0 out of 5 stars Music at its finest! Hiroshima you are great!!, August 16, 2007
This review is from: Little Tokyo (Audio CD)
I found this release by Hiroshima to be very musical (as all of their music is) and captivating. As a young 26 year old appreciator of Real music, I think that this release will appeal to people who open their mind and want to relax. My favorite song by Hiroshima is "Island World" which was made years and years ago and is on their "Best of Hiroshima" CD. I found music on this CD that makes me get excited while at the same time, I can just relax and collect my thoughts!! Hiroshima, thank you for such a great and awesome piece of artistic music.
I have got to see one of your concerts!! I plan to do that next time you're near Sacramento!!
Live on Instrumental music!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, February 11, 2015
Really...Really good!!!!

2.0 out of 5 stars Which way are you going?, November 28, 2008

Little Tokyo
Little Tokyo by Hiroshima (Audio CD - 2007)