4.0 out of 5 stars Add and AC adaptor and it's great

3.0 out of 5 stars Too soon to say
Published on November 17, 2006 by Mom of two

4.0 out of 5 stars Add and AC adaptor and it's great, November 19, 2006
This review is from: Sing Along CD Player (Toy)
We've had this cd player for a year with two young children (now ages 2 and 4), and it's held up great. We've even packed it (carefully) in suitcases to take on plane rides, and it's still going with no trouble. I like the "hold" switch in the back which basically shuts down the button operation so that no matter how much the kids press the buttons, it won't respond (so it keeps on playing just as I had intended when I first hit play). Of course, you can flip off the hold switch and let the kids do as they wish. The microphones are fun, but the cords are a little short so they give feedback until the child figures out that they need to walk a little further away from the cd player (which they can, but my kids don't generally do so). We mostly use it just as a cd player for now and don't use the microphones all that much yet. Also, you will definitely need an ac adaptor as it eats batteries. We got one at Radio Shack (bring the cd player with you as they'll need to see it to get the exact right adaptor for it.....there are more choices than you'd realize). Overall, we're quite pleased with this and actually looking to buy a second one.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beyond my expectations, September 21, 2007
This review is from: Sing Along CD Player (Toy)
I have a just turned 3, very active, music loving, little boy. I just received the cd player a week ago. The quality is superior. The sound is better than some of my cd players! Very sturdy and well made. They seemed to have covered all aspects for toddler-preschooler usage. My son was anxious to "do everything himself"...I showed him the stop and play buttons, the power button, and the volume. He is able to pretty well manage all of those. I haven't had to use the "hold" button (which is nice to "Lock" all the buttons in place). He has taken care of it pretty well so far. He loves the microphone, and the 2nd one I can sing along with him. It makes a great family activity. I'd like to purchase some sing along cd's with books to follow along and I think that is pretty educational!!! I have big plans for this cd player. I bought it straight from Kazoo.com and paid about $6 more. They were out of it here. It's a bit over priced...but for the few extra dollars, I definitely give this a 2 thumbs up. I did extensive research before my purchase on all the kid cd players. I think I did well.

3.0 out of 5 stars Too soon to say, November 17, 2006
This review is from: Sing Along CD Player (Toy)
We just got this unit as a gift and I'm amazed to find there are no reviews online anywhere! It seems to work pretty well so far but our biggest complaint is the loudness of the microphones. It's pretty easy for my kids to drown out the music with their singing, so then the music gets turned up louder and the racket begins. There's a built-in volume limiter on the CD player itself, which is nice, but I just wish we could control the microphones. Of course, we're talking about a 5- and 2-year-old, so there's some issues with controlling noise already, but still, they're the age the toy is designed for. The unit also can't function at all without the ESP activated - skips and stops - so I'm sure that will eat up the batteries. I'll be looking to buy an AC adapter. I'll be curious to hear what others think, because there are not many things like this out there that have the two microphones - a must for us!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great CD player for a little one!, September 1, 2010

UPDATE: This product is still going strong 10 months later. I would say that the microphone interference can be annoying particularly because you can actually have the microphones turned off and still get a tiny bit of static/interference. Again, not hugely annoying but still weird. Looking into other CD players with microphone for kids, it seems like this is a problem across the board with some microphones that actually stop working.

The other thing that is great is that my daugther is not yet 3 obviously cannot read yet, but because the CD players had distinctly shaped buttons (some are squares, triangles, octagon/hexagon, circles, etc.) she is able to memorize that the triangle is for playing and the square for stopping, the smaller up and down triangles for volume control, etc. I think this is advantageous for a smaller group of kids than a CD players with all circular button let's say.

5.0 out of 5 stars AWESOME! LOTS OF FUN!, January 24, 2007
This review is from: Sing Along CD Player (Toy)
This is a big hit from Christmas! My kids (4 & 2) love to dance and sing...and now they can sing with their favorite music! Even mom enjoys playing with this toy! It is very sturdy and seemingly easy to use. My 2 year old can even rough it up a bit...and it still works! (not that I recommend that) When you put your fave CD in, if you don't hear anything, make sure to turn up the volume as it resets everytime a new disc is put in. Very cool toy! LOVE IT!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Entertainment for Your Small Fry......, December 14, 2006
Gina M. Pace "aka wicce" (Scranton, PA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sing Along CD Player (Toy)
What a lovely music player for kids! There are toys on the market that don't perform half as well, and some cost twice as much as this. Here is a player that will do the job nicely because it is a REAL player, not just a toy, but it is strong and sturdy and colorful and bright, so it catches and keeps the child's attention, all the while teaching him or her about music, audio storybooks, and so on. What I like about this is that you can never teach a child too early in life how to respect electronics equipment, and with this player Mommy and Daddy's equipment is more safe; first the child will have their own version of the grown-up player, but more importantly by the time they graduate to more grown-up players themselves, they will have respect for the buttons and knobs and whatnot.

An excellent investment in your child's growth and future as well as fun!

4.0 out of 5 stars I like this kid CD player, November 29, 2007
G. Cruz (Middletown, CT) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sing Along CD Player (Toy)
This kid CD player is very useful. I bought it to take it on a plane trip and for the subsequent 2 week vacation. I have been using it constantly for about 4 months. My son is now 18 months old. I really like the child hold feature but I wish that the hold also prevented the power button and the eject button from functioning. Otherwise, this CD player is great. It is the best I have seen on the market.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great little CD player for kids!, September 1, 2010
This review is from: Sing Along CD Player (Toy)
My daughter LOVES singing and music, so for her 2nd birthday, I bought her this CD player. At the time, there were not too many reviews and they were very hit or miss, but really there is not much of market for children's toy radios with microphones so I took a chance and I am glad I did. It's been 6 months now and she really enjoys it. It has held up well to rough handling by a 2 year old as well as her constantly sticking the microphone in her mouth with the "aaaaaaaaaahhhhh" as another reviewer mentioned. I haven't bought an AC adapter yet and agree it would be nice, but my daughter likes to move around and dance with it so I'm not sure it would work for her, but truthfully the first set of batteries held up well and I'm now on my second set of batteries after 6 months. The only things that I think could be improved about this is that: 1) the volume can be a little wonky. You have to set the volume up very high, like over 20, to really hear it. The lower volume numbers are ridiculously low. Also, the microphone seems to have MUCH a louder volume as compared to the music no matter what. 2) The microphone coil is pretty short (which might make sense for safety reasons, but it is not unusual to hear that screeching noise due to microphone interference. Obviously, I would prefer microphone interference to a strangulation hazard, but if they can't make the coil longer, then I think they need to address the microphone interference. 3) while I really like the hold function which prevents the child from constantly rewinding, fast forwarding, stopping, etc. while the music is playing, it has a drawback, which is that the child CAN open the cd player while the hold button is on. So if they are very determined like my daughter, they can succeed in playing with the buttons to make it do something other than play music, such as insert, remove cd player, stick your finger in when cd is spinning. Frankly, I think the open and close feature should be disabled while a cd is playing. Now, these are just helpful suggestions if the maker was interested in improvement, but I am actually really happy all in all with the CD player. Seems like I got lucky because it's been 6 months and it keeps working. Also, shop around for this, because the prices are highly variable.

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent quality and so much fun!, October 18, 2008
This review is from: Sing Along CD Player (Toy)
i bought this cd player for my 5 year old after a lot of research.
i am very happy with this product. the quality of the sound is excellent. the microphones work great. the machine is extremely durable (my 2 year old uses it, too). my daughter loves to sing along with the music and can carry it around while she sings. i have been using the microphones to call the kids to dinner and when it is time to go! they think it is hilarious and actually come when i call them. i would recommend this without hesitation.

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy enough for a 2 yr. old to handle, February 7, 2008
This review is from: Sing Along CD Player (Toy)
I purchased this CD player, for my 2+ yr. old toddler, who loves listening to music. She's not so into the microphones, yet, but loves being able to turn on the machine and get the CDs going on her own. Granted, she's scratching up a bunch of CDs, but I feel her sense of triumph is worth it.

We've had it since xmas 07, and so far, so good. Seems to be of excellent quality. I like the fact that the music starts off on a very low volume, so that it's never on high right off the bat. I taught my daughter how to raise it slightly to hearing level. The safety feature, anti-shock is very good too. I'm not entirely up on how that feature works, but it's there and working. No time to read manuals. Getting an adaptor to save batteries is a MUST. It took a couple of trips to the Radio Shack, and still i think they sold me one that works, but doesn't fit in exactly.

Sing Along CD Player