on November 27, 2008
I'm a 41 year old step-dad that doesn't play video games much. When I do play, it's typically a first person shooter game and the last gaming title that I played all the way through was "Half-Life." Feel free to start the "old guy" cracks/comments now. I bought the PS3 for two reasons: 1. Gaming entertainment for my step-son (15 yrs old) and for the huge group of nephews and neices that visit our home periodically. 2. My first Blu-ray player.
I bought "LittleBigPlanet recently to add to the home gaming collection and last night played for the first time with my step-son. After 2+ hours of excellent gaming and good times...we both came away with huge smiles on our faces. It's been quite awhile since I laughed so much doing an activity and sharing the moment with my step-son was very cool. So, what's entertaining about this game that looks on the surface to be for small children?
1. Funny look, funny sounds, oh yeah...a crapload of FUN! This game has the most unique, interesting look to it that I've ever seen for a game. Seeing what would be next really kept us guessing. Also, we were big fans of the "sounds of death," whenever our characters would perish. Whether by smoldering fire, cackling electricity, falling onto spikes, or getting squashed...my step-son and I laughed alot when one of us died in the gaming environment. The costume options are worthy of an entire paragraph by themselves, but I don't want to bore you.
2. Challenging games. I thought this game would be easy....WRONG. Even though the controls are easy to master (really easy!), the gaming situations cost us many lives to play and finally master.
3. Creativity of creating own gaming scenarios. I was blown away by what other players across the globe were creating and posting for folks to come and play. My step-son and I played a game created by someone from Japan, then another from someone that lived in London. Loved the experience and game play.
4. Allowing multiple players to play at the same time, on the same game board. Instead of the boring, play and then sit out, rotate, rotate rotate (Ugh)....this game allows 1-4 players to play the same game board at the same time. This makes for crazy, unorganized, hilarious game play. I blamed my step-son soooooo many times for killing me and vice versa. Whenever we completed a section successfully, we would high five each other and have huge grins of accomplishment on our faces. More games should allow for this kind of game play.
In summary...this game was a HUGE homerun, in regards to entertainment impact and fun times for 2 or more people. I strongly recommend this game to any family looking for a game that is family friendly, or for gamers that are just looking for something new, hilarious, and creative. I don't think you'll be disappointed.
1414 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
To say that there has been some hype surrounding this title would be a bit of an understatement. I'm here to tell you that they Totally Pulled It Off. I was very nervous, concerned that the game could not possibly be as fun as it looked on the movies. Well, I needn't have worried. Here is my gleefully happy review:

The sheer sense of whimsy, of pure-no holds barred-cackle out loud-jump up and run around-find your old light saber and yell like you've just seen Star Wars for the first time (yea, really, like that!)-delight that permeates this game is everywhere. Everywhere are little touches that make this seem so new, even though the basic mechanics are those of a very strong platformer. By now, most people have already seen Sack Boy. Well, he's even cuter when you are playing with him. All the stickers, outfits, and silly movements that he has make him even more endearing as you play him.

Graphics are a real departure from what you are used to seeing, but in a very very good way. Textures are sharp and realistic, which is important in a game that draws on mundane objects to make a completely fantastic new world. Movement is rich, physics are very well designed. When you play this game, it just feels right.

The music is a blast--remember the first time you listened to Katamari Damacy and were just enchanted with the invention and fun of the music? Well, although there is not any J-pop to be found here, that same hum along and enjoy feeling is everywhere.

Story is basic, but fun. I've not yet completed the game, so I can't remark on how long it is. I'll update this review when I've finished.

The extra levels available online already range from the merely ok to the absolutely outstanding. Clearly, there are some folks who have Way Too Much Time On Their Hands. The level creation software is easy to understand, although very deep. You're going to have to work pretty hard to make levels as good as the game designers have made--but the amazing thing is that you really can do so if you want! This flexibility is perhaps the biggest strength of LBP, and is what will keep this game going for long after you have explored the levels that come with it.

Ultimately, this is a platformer--a very very good platformer. Do not think that you are going to get a game that re-invents gaming here. However, if you know that and are excited any way, you are going to get the most original, most charming, most delightful platformer to come your way in a long time, and you are going to get virtually inexhaustable user developed content, much of which will likely be great.
on November 9, 2008
Much like Mario 64 redifined platforming by bringing Mario into the third dimension, Little Big Planet has reinvented what a platformer should do by giving players the ability to create their own levels and share them worldwide. Super Mario Galaxy really pushed the third dimension aspect, and Ratchet & Clank is a graphic powerhouse. LBP does what no platformer has done this generation - it lets the players take over for the designers and offers content long after the story mode is completed.

The story mode is georgeous. The music and art design are incredible. The puzzles are challenging, but far from impossible. You MUST have a freind to complete everything, and that can be trying when you are dealing with people online. The controls are floaty, but it doesn't take long to get the hang of handling sackboy.

The level creator is where LBP surpasses console platformers. There are already player created stages online that are as good as some of the designer's stages (albeit shorter). Although people online can be difficult to deal with, the creativity on display is amazing. Everything that you see in the desiner created levels can be done. And if you have the Eye Toy, there are no limits to the images that you can create and use in your own levels.

PC fans have been modding games and creating their own original content for years and for the first time, a console game has given players the tools to do the same thing with such ease. A must own for platforming fans and a must play for everyone else.
on December 7, 2008
Before I start let me give a frame of reference concerning the reviewer: I'm a 26 year old male, and I speak on behalf of what I've thought and heard from my peers (both female and male).

Whether it has been explicitly said or not, LittleBigPlanet (LBP) is a creative masterpiece that revolutionizes what games can be while being appropriate for all ages.

First, the game does not derive its fun factor from massacring other humans, aliens, or god knows whats. In a time where it seems like most game developers have the deluded idea that a game must involve violence to be good (no thanks to Microsoft's firm 'killing is the best fun' policy), LBP stands out as one of a kind. How strange that we humans would want games to be 'realistic' when reality is realistic enough! Surely an imaginary world is better than copying our own imperfectly and with its imperfections.

Second, LBP's gameplay is excellent both in its single-player and multi-player modes. The multi-player modes are admittedly more fun, and they're accessible either online or on a single PS3. The game's replay value is high, both because the disc levels are full of things to collect, and because there are many creative user-designed levels online. The platforming is reminiscent of older game generations like the SNES and Genesis/Megadrive, while simultaneously being new both artistically and as far as the character interaction mechanics are involved.

Third, LBP delivers a good platforming experience, but where it really amazes is in the level of customization it allows. Your sackperson (the character) can be dressed up, can be made to wear different expressions, can have all its joints/limbs move (e.g. you can make him/her dance), can have stickers placed on itself and its environment, and finally can even have its own world created from the ground up (i.e. you can make your objects which eventually can go into your own level). I think this customization is really what makes LBP stand apart from all other games. An adult can enjoy and be truly challenged by this, it really does push the limits of creativity. Even more importantly, if one has children, I cannot stress how good LBP can be for a child's mind. It is creative, light-hearted, and accessible (with parental help), offering an experience that is on par with constructing a world out of Lego pieces. I really don't think any game offers that. The Wii, for all the hype its gotten, is yet to offer a game that is even in the same ballpark as LBP.

Finally, Sackboy/Sackgirl is an incredible character. Nothing so cute, personable or memorable has been introduced in years. I would surely think that 10 or 20 years down the line, Sackperson will still be with us, much like other gaming mascots like Mario. The fact is that sackboy/girl has been given such a range of animations, emotions and appearances that I find it hard to believe that any human will not be taken in by this fictional character.

Needless to say, I fully recommend this game. Not only because it's a worthy investment, but also because I feel we need to reward those who work on producing true art. It would be a shame if a game like this went unrewarded, perceived to be worse then the many first person shooters that crowd the market with their ideals of murder. We might one day end up with nothing but them, and that would be a real tragedy.

Rami
on October 29, 2008
I've never written a review for a product on Amazon before, but this game compelled me to do so. It's the single most convincing argument for buying a video game console system that I've ever seen, going all the way back to Super Mario Bros. on the original Nintendo Entertainment System. If you have a PS3, you absolutely must get this game. If you don't, get one and then get this game.
on December 7, 2008
Epic. Incredibly refreshing. You'll start giggling like a kid as soon as you pick up the controller. And you'll have flashbacks of the fun afternoons you had while playing platformers in your youth. The music is ABSOLUTELY UNBELIEVABLE. It will stick in your head. And you will like it. The graphics are the cleanest crispest most vibrant graphics I've seen in a long time. On an HD 1080p display with 120hz this game in motion looks too good to be true. Just gorgeous. The attention to detail is ridiculous. Every texture, Every fiber, every material, every sound The physics are flawless. The control feels just....perfect. The replay value....Infinite. Besides the main story mode you have bazillions of amazing levels being posted online by other users on the PlayStation network minute after minute. You can even jump straight into the most popular ones and never play a bad level. You'll find yourself laughing and doing things you never thought you would do on purpose. Like dressing up a puppet or making it dance to the catchiest tune. You'll remember what having fun like a little kid feels like. And there's also the multi player. Tackling on new levels with your significant other is just a blast in this game. You'll laugh til' your stomach hurts. And you'll ask for more. It's that good.
on November 10, 2008
It has one serious flaw... I haven't played in a few days because my 7, 12 and 14 yr old kids have been hogging the game! If I only knew all those years ago that this would happen, I would have seriously reconsidered having children :D.
on December 12, 2008
Initially, I had doubts about Little Big Planet. Being a seasoned gamer, I was uncertain how the simple mechanics and casual home made look of the game would satisfy my need for something bigger, better and faster. However, as launch date approached and after watching countless videos of the game in action, I finally got the point. This game is just fun.

Little Big Planet has plenty to offer both the casual and the hardcore crowds with almost limitless replayability. More than one friend of mine has been wowed by the deep customization & dress options available for their cute sackboy and sackgirls. If you can imagine it, you can make it. Sackboy can also easily express his current mood (to match yours) and be sad, happy, scared or angry. This, combined with motion controls for body and hand movement makes for a truly expressive sack, pardon the pun. My girlfriend and I had great laughs just making funny faces at each other in-game.

Expressive characters and character customizations aren't the only great the thing about this game. At its core, Little Big Planet is a platformer. Media Molecule did a fine job with the main Story Levels. You'll find yourself avoiding fiery pits, swinging over platforms, jumping into high speed mine carts and much more while trying to collect as many new costumes, items and points as possible. Generally, the more friends you have playing, the more satisfying the experience. The only minor flaw is that the jumping takes a bit of getting used to, nothing which cannot be gotten used to with a few hours of play time.

However, the true fun of Little Big Planet only begins when you play some of the user created levels. User levels can range from original creations to recreation of classic games such as Gradius and Super Mario. Some are not even proper levels but are full fledged Calculators and Drum Machines! For me, being able to play user recreations of Metal Gear Solid, Ico, Okami and other games in Little Big Planet was more than enough to justify the price of the game. I also had a great time playing original stages such as Little Big Ninja, World of Colour and Escape from Alcatraz. The ease of accessing user created content is where Little Big Planet really shines and it will only get better as the community gets bigger.

Overall, this game is a great addition to anyone's PS3 game collection. Great for when some friends are over or when playing alone. If you are the creative type, you can even make some levels of your own.
on December 21, 2008
- A lot of replay value from online play and ability to create your own levels. Plus there's a lot of stuff to collect which will have you playing game levels over and over.

- Many people have mentioned jumping issues, but it's really just a matter of adjusting to the game. Once you get the hang of it, exact jumping can still be difficult, but you can still control the motion of your sock-person slightly while you're in the air. (By pushing forwards or back.)

- Wonderful graphics and level designs. The Indian level is gorgeous.

- Definitely buy without the need to rent. I rent most games first before purchasing, but this one I bought outright and it's been worth every penny.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
In the world of Little Big Planet lives little sack boys and sack girls. These cute little creations live a life to run, jump, and explore. The journey you guide them on may take them to many different places. Some may be a lot of fun and others may be a little frustrating. Little Big Planet is the game that may change the way you think about gaming. It's much than just playing. It's also about creating and sharing your creations with the world. Let me go over each part of the game.

First and foremost a game would not be a game if it's not for playing. In Little Big Planet your character is a little sack boy or sack girl. Of course you can dress and design your character whichever way you like. The sack boys and girls are also able to show different emotions that range from happy to angry and sad. There are many combinations to make your character that much more expressive. The characters movements are rather simple. You can run, jump, and grab. You really don't have to worry about seven or eight different controls. As you progress thru the game you may be wanting more controls. The game is narrated beautifully by Stephen Fry. He will give you tutorials thru many of the beginning levels. This is a side scroller game. Which is something the gaming consoles don't see of much nowadays. Although it's a little different than standard side scrollers in which the game has three layers that can make some challenges that much more tricky. Many of the level designs are beautiful and well thought out. Each level is part of a theme that comes from all different parts of the world. From Europe to Africa, North America and Asia the whole world is covered. The music that accompanies each level is also from the different parts of the world. My only qualm is that the game does get difficult about halfway thru. The levels can become quite frustrating if you get stuck on a certain spot. I am more than familiar with the frustrated feeling. Now you can play with up to three other players in co-op mode which is a lot of fun. This allows you to take on some two player challenges to unlock extras on each level. Although this is an important part of the game it is only one piece.

The next part of the game I want to talk about is the create part. In Little Big Planet you can create just about anything you have floating around in your head. If you are the creative type or just want to recreate your favorite game or movie this is your chance. As you progress further in the regular game you will be able to unlock more items to decorate your creation. It's a lot of fun just to try out some of the tools that are accessible in this game. The psyhics are incredibly realistic. If you want to build something you have to remember that items can have a mind of their own when you put them into your world. What makes creating a level that much more exciting is the ability you have to share them with the world. Players can rate your creation or creations. The better your creation scores the easier it will be for other players to access that level. You as a player well be able to access others creations from all over the world. This could lead to hundreds if not thousands of excellent levels over the months. This will lead to unlimited replayibility in the game.

The last part of the game I would like to cover is the community aspect. You as a player will be able to play with up to three others. They can be off your friends list or just individuals you have never met. All in all this will add quite a bit more fun to the game. A game like Little Big Planet is meant to be played with others. With the latest patch the online portion of the game is working much better now. It's a great time to play many of these well crafted levels that the public at large created.

Overall Little Big Planet is quite a step in terms of gaming. Simple in many aspects and utterly amazing in the creation aspect. This is a game that can be enjoyed by the entire family. Some aspects of this game are not perfect but that shouldn't stop anyone from playing. Gamers and non gamers can have fun with the sack boys and girls. See you in the Little Big Planet...
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...

See 1 answered question