Your Garage Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Father's Day Gift Guide 2016 Fire TV Stick Blake Shelton Father's Day Gifts Amazon Cash Back Offer LoveandFriendship LoveandFriendship LoveandFriendship  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Outdoor Recreation Learn more

Format: Blu-ray|Change

on September 21, 2013
I was really frustrated this was not released sooner but it was likely smart strategy and we are benefitting from recent restoration and processing technology. I honestly don't know if there's a more powerful and meaningful live show available. While Peter Gabriel: Secret World - Live [Blu-ray] is excellent and offers more theatrical elements, it was photographed in 16mm and the graininess is a bit revealing on Blu-ray. Live in Athens was photographed in 35mm and the impact is stunning. The Athens show captures emotional music played by elite musicians. Manu Katche's drumming is so musical while Tony Levin, David Sancious and David Rhodes are all superhuman.

Also worth noting, we finally get to see and hear Youssou N Dour's opening set with his band Le Super Etoile de Dakar which, alone, might be worth the discs's price.

I paid just over $20 in 1990 for the VHS so the $18 Blu-ray disc is a bargain.
on November 4, 2013
It's hard not to love Peter Gabriel's live performances but this camera crew does their best to make you try. I'm just glad the tour was caught on film at all, even if done rather poorly and without vision as this video displays. I am a huge Peter Gabriel fan and own all of his other concert DVD's but this one is probably a one-time view.

Gabriel is a genius at telling and acting out the stories of his songs. Sadly, the ad-hoc camera crew seemed unable to consider that Gabriel designed the stage show to be seen from a distance and they kept him close in frame most of the time, negating the effect he was going for in the first place.

The other thing which is troublesome is a SPOILER ALERT so scroll down a bit if you're interested, otherwise buy the video and be happy.
So, it's like this... I have a pretty good eye for certain details of live performance which is a blessing and a curse. Several songs into the show I realized that with VERY little exception, the vocals (and perhaps much more) were overdubbed later. It was done very well with Peter clearly watching his own mouth to match the cadence but between microphone positioning and the obvious problem of dancing and moving around so much, all except maybe one or two songs are overdubbed in a studio later. This is, in my opinion an unpardonable sin. Big stage shows often do it from Michael Jackson to Madonna, what you see on video is not what happened live and MJ even lip-synced much of his show due to the complexity and energy required for his dance numbers. And, so it is possible the same has happened here.
2929 comments|27 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 25, 2013
This is easily one of my favorite all time concert videos. The quality of this video recording is superb. This show features an all star musician lineup with a great setlist. Peter Gabriel is at the very top of his game in this show. Highly recommended for any fan of Peter Gabriel.
on September 18, 2013
I watched my vhs copy of this concert many times, many years ago. The concert is still as great as I remembered, with minimalist but very expressive lighting and choreography. The blu-ray does justice to it, with great video and sound quality. Including the Youssou N'Dour opening set is a very nice touch. The extra "Play" DVD makes this a pretty good deal for any Gabriel fan.
on June 2, 2015
Peter Gabriel Live in Athens is a magnificent concert. This is the second Peter Gabriel concert DVD I own; I purchased Secret World Blu-ray last year. I like Secret World a lot but I fell in love with Live in Athens. I received Live in Athens last week and already watched it three times. In second and third viewings, I tried to experience the lip-sync/overdub issue brought up by some other reviewers but I am not sure what they are referring to. I paid very close attention to Peter Gabriel's lips and also the playing of the instruments and I couldn't experience any gap between the audio and the video. Either those reviewers are talking about another edition of the same concert (VHS/DVD maybe?) or I am missing something. If you have seen lip-sync/overdub problem with the Blu-ray, please let me know which song, exact time it happens, and what to look for because I'd really like to know what the fuzz is about. Maybe there is another way to understand that the concert is overdubbed, maybe some people are such audiophiles, they can tell just by hearing the sound.

I think the concert was just awesome. Pre-show begins with some musicians from Africa and I really liked their act. They play about 40 minutes and then Peter Gabriel's show begins. I liked the selection of the songs and I loved his performance. I loved the ambiance too. It appeared like a small stage but for such a small stage there was so much energy from the musicians and also from the audience. At one point, Peter Gabriel turns his back on the audience and drops backward onto the audience who does a pretty good job of handling him (that's the picture you see on the cover). They carry him over their heads, I thought that was quite a fascinating act, a little risky for the performer but pays off immensely as an act. Audience did a great job except for the part they tore his jacket apart ha ha.

I absolutely loved the musicians, they were all terrific. Peter Gabriel is another class altogether. His musicianship is just beyond this world. It's too bad there are no artists like Peter Gabriel anymore. The concert ends with a terrific rendering of Biko, brought tears to my eyes. The African musicians from the pre-show joins Peter Gabriel on Biko. Blu-ray video and audio quality is terrific. It is better than some other Blu-ray films, concerts I have from that era. They did an awesome job with this product. There is a nice booklet inside the Blu-ray case with photos from the concerts and information on the crew. The concert itself is a real treat but then there is the HD version of Sledgehammer video!!! I had been waiting to see the Sledgehammer video in HD for more than a decade. And there is also an interview with Peter Gabriel from that time which I thought was a great extra feature. Moreover, there is also another DVD (standard DVD) with major videos of Peter Gabriel, there is like more than 20 videos.

Overall this is a terrific concert and product to purchase. If you like Peter Gabriel, you should order this now! I have already seen it 3 times and I want to see it again, and again and again....
on September 28, 2013
4+ stars.

The core of this 2 disc set is Gabriel performing in Athens Greece in October of 1987 (supposedly the "full show", but probably culled from a multi date set),and it is a really great concert - a great band, great set list, and great audience - despite the dated clothing/appearances on stage - lol. I especially like that it is Gabriel as his dramatic self, but without all the elaborate yet somewhat distracting props that were soon to come (see Peter Gabriel - Secret World Live). This show alone would be enough reason to get this DVD, but the real bonus for me is that Youssou N'Dour was with him.

The concert disc begins with N'Dour and his Senegalese band Le Super Etoile De Dakar as the warm up act with a set of 5 vibrant songs, that are a nice contrast to the slick PG show that follows. I think this is the first concert DVD I've ever seen that also shows the warm up band! Youssou is at the beginning of his meteoric rise here. He would on go to become an even more popular and famous performer than Gabriel (in 2004 Rolling Stone described him as "perhaps the most famous singer alive", I'd also add that he is perhaps in the top handful of the greatest vocalists alive). The inclusion of Youssou's set is a real treat, and having him and some of his band join PG for the last 2 songs of the main concert are the highlights of that show (the 15+ minute version of "In Your Eyes" is quite remarkable).

Disc 2 is another great bonus; Gabriel's 23 music videos from 1980 to 2004. Gabriel always has had a reputation for theatrics and top quality production, and these videos show an abundance of creativity. They may not be the kind of thing you want to watch very often but they are nice to have - and express an era (early MTV) well.
on November 2, 2014
Arena Prog Rock at it's best. The only complaint I have about the video is that the show's production values are so high and the band is so tight that you almost think they are lip synching to the studio recordings. 30 years later Peter is still on my bucket list of performers I hope to see live. Not quite bad enough to fly to Europe and try to get a ticket from a scalper, but if he gets back to the U.S. I will dig into my retirement fund to get there.
on June 22, 2015
, This was a concert from 1987 staged in a beautiful Greek amphitheater. What struck me most, in purchasing this 2-CD concert some thirty years after the fact, is how physical a performer he was then. Like David Byrne in Stop Making Sense, Gabriel uses the entire stage, running, dancing in step, emulating jungle creatures. It's a very theatrical show, at times maybe too artsy in moments as he performs the entirety of Mercy Street in a fetal position lying on the stage. But he's very passionate about his songs and these, unlike the fare most other rock artists, are songs of great substance, taking on geopolitics, human oppression and our demons within. The audience is fantastic, rocking it under a beautiful night sky, providing great wide shots of the stage and the fans. Stand out performances are an entrancing Family Snapshot, a repeated shoutout of "No more war!" at the end of Games Without Frontiers and a can't-miss Solsbury Hill. The second CD is a collection of all his music videos, a real treat. Most include gorgeous animation that at the time was cutting edge and still inspires. I really can't imagine a better portrait of the man than these 2 CDs. A one-of-a-kind performer at the height of his talents.
on November 4, 2013
The video quality is amazing, and it is great that they have produced such an amazing quality document from an amazing tour after 20 years. However, the audio is so treated and rerecorded in the studio that it taints an otherwise amazing experience. How is Peter Gabriel so vain in this area that he continues to rerecord live concerts in the studio, as in his Play's Live CD and Genesis Boxed Sets? If people wanted a studio recording, they would not be buying the live recording. We want to hear the energy and flaws, just as we have seen in the actual concert. What we have here sounds excellent (quality) yet stale (content).

The other problem in this set is the Play DVD (note: not blu-ray) which is great to have, but uses often inferior quality sources and a poorly designed menu. Every time you play a track, it goes back to the menu again, so very confusing to play all tracks.

So, this is an awesome concert and amazing performance, and quite a good price for what you get...but could have been so much better if not for some silly things.
on November 18, 2013
What else can I say, PG of yore and this newly remastered concert is sublime. The DTS-HD soundtrack roars to life, each song is wonderfully rendered by PG, Levin, Katche and co.
One bonus is the fact that they included a remastered PLAY DVD with the correct DTS normalization. If you are fan of PG, add this to your collection.