5.0 out of 5 stars The Real Goods!
I've lived in "Mex." on and off for years. So, I always read books about the country with a critical eye.
I judge travel guides against what I know to be true about a place from personal experience.
Published on July 10, 2000 by Dr. Michael Trend

2.0 out of 5 stars 50 pages of good...forget the rest
The first 50 pages were informational and well written. After that it became only a list of towns with scant information. HEAVY emphasis on AA and ALANON throughout the book. Rather assumes every visitor to Mexico is in need of an AA meeting in every town.
Published on March 23, 2004 by Barbara

5.0 out of 5 stars The Real Goods!, July 10, 2000
Mike Nelson knows what he writes about, and there's not a single piece of advice in the whole thing that will get you into trouble, get you hurt, or get you killed. He does a really fine job of explaining all the paperwork, and the legalities that you have to deal with if you're going to do anything more than make a quick pop over the border and go right back home again.
I suppose if there's a legitimate complaint, it might be that he doesn't cover any particular place, any particular city in great depth, but if you think about it, you want a compact guide book that you can toss into your luggage or tote around without getting stoop shouldered.
He even has sections on where to find AA groups, or whether a place is friendly to gays, and he gives decent advice for straight people, too... For the record, I don't have a drinking problem, I'm not gay, and I've already got a "novia", so I'm not even looking for a lady friend right now. But SOME people--maybe a whole lot of them--will need this information that you really can't find easily on your own with only tourist Spanish under your belt, so I'm glad he's got it in here.
I think this is the best Mexico guidebook around.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best live in Mexico book I've read!!!, November 20, 2002
By A Customer
I lived in Mexico for years. This is my favorite book. It's entertaining, informative, and the author definitely knows what he's talking about - which is more than I can say for a lot of similar books. Frankly, I'm shocked anyone could possibly read this book and trash it! The thing that attracts me most about this book is the author speaks not only to the 65-year-old who plans to retire in Mexico, but anyone, at any age, that would like to spend an extended time in Mexico. I also liked the section on telecommuting via the Internet from Mexico. Great idea!

4.0 out of 5 stars Best of the Bunch!, February 22, 2001
By A Customer
I recommend "Mexico" Mike Nelson's latest edition as the best of the books now out on relocating to Mexico. His advice is clear, concise, and wide-ranging, and his writing style is engaging. In addition, for an extremely reasonable rate, Mike can be contacted via phone or email at the numbers provided in the book, and I can vouch that he gives useful, creative, and up-to-the-minute advice for those miscellaneous but nonetheless important questions that come to mind as one prepares for the move.
If you are thinking about or planning on moving to Mexico, get a copy right away!

4.0 out of 5 stars An excellent overview book-- exactly as intended, February 14, 2002
This book isn't intended to cover the entire country of Mexico in-depth, in great detail. It's an overview! And it does a fine job of that. I find myself wondering why it seems to turn off so many people just because the author gives details about English-speaking AA or gay-friendliness? This is good to know, even if you're not gay or an AA member, as it's an indirect indicator of how tolerant the city is of transplants. If just reading this info turns you off, how will you deal with the differences in culture that come with living in Mexico? This is a great overview book, but naturally you will need more info to make your decision to move or not.

5.0 out of 5 stars Don't just read it - Live it!, March 11, 2005
Mike's subtitle says it all. The book really is chock full of practical advice for living and working in Mexico. It's not a "Come on down, you'll just love it," tempter. He gets very specific about the subjects those considering relocating are and should be interested in.

In addition to being knowledgeable and accurate, this is a 'fun' read.

5.0 out of 5 stars New and updated information, April 20, 2000
Dan Lane (Jamaica Beach, Texas) - See all my reviews
I've followed Mexico Mike's travel advice for years. I know Mexico well enough myself to discern when he's right about a place I've been, so when I started thinking about retiring there, I bought the updated version. I'm fifty, I'm gay, and I'm in a 12 step program. Mike's book doesn't assume every retiree is an old white couple in bermuda shorts. Mike talks to single women, the younger person who wants to quit the rat race, and to people who want to lead an active, healthier lifestyle. AND he's added the new information about getting your car into Mexico.

4.0 out of 5 stars This entertaining read contained insight and perspective., October 17, 2001
Not only was it informative, the book was an enjoyable and easy read. Devoid of the usual "data overload" of its genre. Written devoutly from the male perspective. Woman may not find Mr. Nelson as engaging as male readers. That theory may explain the hostile review included in this review section.

2.0 out of 5 stars 50 pages of good...forget the rest, March 23, 2004

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Advice, May 25, 2000
- Now in its third edition, this popular book offers "practical advice" for living and working in Mexico. Thinking of relocating south-of-the-border? This is an excellent primer. Kudos to the author and editor who have made this edition the best yet.

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, March 26, 2004
Keith E. Stetson (Warrington, PA United States) - See all my reviews
Unfortunately, I agree with the previous reviewers. This book is more about "Mexico Mike" than Mexico. All writer's have biases, but his obscure the facts. It sounds like he has money invested in the resort at El Paraiso. It also sounds like he is a recovering alcoholic. There is some good information in this book, but nothing that can't be found in other, better books. (People's Guide to Mexico, for instance)

Rate and Discover Movies