‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Dream Theater is shock and awe!, November 7, 2011
This review is from: Live at Budokan [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
I had the DVD version of this concert. After I read the reviews from two previous reviewers, I decided to buy the blu-ray version. I have nothing to add. I would beg Dream Theater to upgrade all their previous DVDs to blu-ray. I will buy them all. I just went to their "A Dramatic Turn of Events" concert down here in Houston, TX. I hope they will issue a blu-ray disk for that tour too.

5.0 out of 5 stars Incredible work of remastering...two thumbs up!!!, October 21, 2011
This review is from: Live at Budokan [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
All the flaws that were present in the original DVD release (I had two copies) were completely removed in this BD version, worth every single penny the upgrade. If you are a DT fan, please do yourself the favor of getting this jewel, it may not be the best concert from them from the performance, or musicaly talking, some may argue about the James performance (after some incident with seafood while vacationing in Cuba, and his vocal cords condition) but it is with no doubts, the best concert they have ever filmed technically talking...

5.0 out of 5 stars The greatest Dream Theater concert on Blu-ray, July 28, 2012
Ian Martin (Auckland New Zealand) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Live at Budokan [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
Dream Theater 'Live at Budokan' is one of a handful of concert DVDs that continues to wow me completely. On 5 October, 2004 at the peak of their abilities, Dream Theater played at the Budokan, Japan. Although eight years ago and since then they have had other concert DVDs like the majestic 'Score', this is their landmark concert High Definition DVD. This review highlights why I repurchased 'Live at Budokan' on Blu-ray.

I love watching live music and have been fortunate enough to see Dream Theater play in Brisbane, Australia and Auckland, New Zealand. This Blu-ray is possibly as good as it gets other than being at their concerts. Indeed some may say it's better. At least in the comfort of your home you can manage the volume to what suits you plus have close-up views that only binoculars could achieve. (I make this comment as the Auckland concert was excessively loud and at times there was possible distortion.)

Back to this Blu-ray which is most beautifully crafted and meets all my requirements for a perfect concert. i.e. great sound, crystal clear visuals, a massive selection from their discography plus additional long instrumental breaks with the camera following the person playing the solo. (It always frustrates me when the drummer plays a brilliant fill and the camera man zooms on the vocalist who is not even singing. This fortunately doesn't happen on this recording because Mike Portnoy, the drummer, and John Petrucci, the guitarist produce it.) Clearly Dream Theater projected their creative and hard-working ethic to the production values of this Blu-ray. The original recording had been carefully thought through, even to the placing of the cameras for excellent closeups for each member.

The original DVD was previously unsurpassed in sound and video quality. The Blu-ray version is crisper - yes, the colors more vivid and richer and what I particularly noticed was the shine and sparkle on items like the Sabian cymbals. You notice small details like the glint on wedding rings, the reflection off Petrucci's guitar. It's these details that take an already brilliant high definition DVD and makes the viewing experience even more impact full. I was taken aback as to how beautiful the primary color lighting looks on Blu-ray. This is an amazing quality recording.

Yet I did not repurchase this for a visual improvement as I had thought my existing DVD copy was great. I bought this for the DTS HD Master Audio and the sound improvement is significant. Referring to 'As I am' the opening track of the concert you immediately notice a significant improvement in the bass levels. The opening bass note of the first bar is strong and resounds with a power not experienced on the 5.1 sound.

Overall there is a greater richness on the Blu-ray as you hear the growl and tone of Myung's bass together with the warmth of Portnoy's toms. There seems far greater dynamic range with the bottom end of both the bass guitar and the bass pedal more forceful. My sub-woofer gets a real workout yet the high range notes of the keyboard still ring out. There is greater separation with no difficulty to hear all four instruments and vocals. The many rapid unison guitar and piano lines over Myung's bass is wondrous. In Petrucci's solos you can hear the subtleties of tapping plus string wrenches. If anything the sound detail also shows their flaws so LaBrie sometimes doesn't quite hit the note, but after a marathon two hour fourty-five minute concert, I am not surprised.

For those who have woken up a decade after he was already one of the world's greatest prog-rock drummers, this concert is a Mike Portnoy showcase. (Mike Portnoy is sadly no longer with DT.) Disc two has all the extras including the Portnoy solo and the Instrumedley - which allows you to focus just on Mike for a monstrous drumming display. That doesn't mean there is no solo drumming in the concert. Far from it! You're in for a surprise as the keyboard drum battle during 'Beyond this life' is like an added drum solo. I found this the highlight of the opening barrage of 3 songs - Rudess and Portnoy seem to have such fun and Portnoy gets to inventively show off what every little cowbell, percussion and timbale sounds like on his enormous double set of drums. He really shows how musical he is as he copies Rudess's keyboard lines on the kit.(Of course a few blizzards of bass drum bliss are effortlessly displayed throughout!)

The first twenty minutes of this concert are some of the heaviest moments of synchronised Dream Theater mayhem; the end of 'This Dying Soul' shows the most frighteningly fast unison lines of Petrucci and Rudess. Mesmerising! Portnoy is so solid as he segues from one time signature into the pounding grundge time midway through 'This Dying Soul' - makes you want to bounce with LaBrie as well. As LaBrie states 'We have one hell of a show coming at you, this evening'. At this stage of the concert you're only two songs in and sixteen still to come. As on any DT creation you'll see why Petrucci is arguably the most technically gifted rock guitarist in the world today. Combined with Myung, Rudess and their powerful vocalist, LaBrie, this is the benchmark of prog metal virtuosity. If you like intense, inventive heavy rock music that requires repeated listening, this is a wonderful value Blu-ray - brilliant!

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb, Amazing, Awesome, Unbelievable, Mindblowing bluray concert, May 12, 2012
This review is from: Live at Budokan [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
I have the DVD version of this concert. Every time I watch it, I kept telling myself that this is the best DVD concert. 10 out of 10. But after watching the bluray version, I realized that I was wrong. On a scale of 1 to 10, the DVD was -1 and the bluray was a 12. I heard music from the bluray that I have never heard before (either it wasn't there before or I am a schizophrenic). I could hear every single instrument AND james' vocals at the same time and they were ALL crisp clear (and I am only using a 2 Wharfedale front speakers; bluray audio set to PCM 2.0). But still. Awesome. If my mouth wasn't dry when I was watching it, I would have been drooling. DT fans must buy this. If you are short on money, starve for 3 days, and then buy this (it's worth it). All music lovers, you must buy this also (starve is you need to).

I have a bunch of concert blurays (Metallica, Iron Maiden, Megadeth, Nirvana, Foo Fighters, etc. and this is by far THE BEST BLURAY CONCERT I HAVE EVER EXPERIENCED.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing quality video and musicianship... I was blown away., January 12, 2012
This review is from: Live at Budokan [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
If you have a Bluray player and are a DT fan then this is surely a must have. I had the original DVD version and this one is night and day better quality. The cameras they used at the show were phenomenal.

5.0 out of 5 stars Progressive Metal Awesome!, December 29, 2011
This review is from: Live at Budokan [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
Dream Theater has mastered the art of Progressive Metal better than any other band. They are the band to follow. Live at Budokan is their best work. Sit back and enjoy the masterpiece.

5.0 out of 5 stars I agree with Alberto F. Gomez best DVD To Bluray convertion, November 1, 2011
This review is from: Live at Budokan [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
I am upgrading my dvd collection to Bluray as they are available and this wasn't going to be an exception specially being Dream theater one of my favorites band, this master does not only have DTS upgrade from 5.1 but it also has a better clean and equalization i have ever heard on a dvd to bluray remaster, the bass of myung is clean in the whole concert you can hear it perfectly in every song, the DTS audio on the efects especially on the keyboards is perfect if you are a real DMT fan you should get this Bluray and if you dont have a blu-equipment you should get one and a good home theater to hear this concert love it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excelent concert, December 16, 2013
Charleston Molina (Monte Alto, Brazil) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Live at Budokan [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
In my opnion the best concert registered in audio/video of Dream Theater, the sound it's perfect, the illumination of stage was of high tech and the band sharp as always. Just watch before you die.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best One, June 3, 2014
This review is from: Live at Budokan [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
This is the best live concert Dream Theater has put out in my opinion. They've had other great ones but the 1st time I saw this I was glued to the screen. As a songwriter and guitarist this video was very humbling. It's one thing to hear an album and another to see them playing. They stepped up the sound quality and video quality for the Blu-Ray version and it's the only way I'll watch it now. My dvd may collect dust.

5.0 out of 5 stars AMAZING!!!!!!!!, March 4, 2014
This review is from: Live at Budokan [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
I am a gigantic Dream Theater fan so this is perfect. Quality rocks, the ipad app is amazing too. Buy this if you are a fan.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

Live at Budokan [Blu-ray]
Live at Budokan [Blu-ray] by Dream Theater (Blu-ray - 2011)
$19.98 $15.99