4.0 out of 5 stars Over too soon.
Published 19 months ago by George T. Goebel

3.0 out of 5 stars Good, but doesn't capture the magic of the tour.
Published 19 months ago by Adam

3.0 out of 5 stars Good, but doesn't capture the magic of the tour., November 24, 2012
Having seen the Beach Boys live on their 50th Anniversary tour, I was excited when I saw there was a DVD documenting it. However, one of the things that made the tour so special was that the group played two full sets each night, sometimes playing over 50 songs in one show. This DVD only has 21 of the songs played on the tour and that doesn't even add up to half of the tour's setlist. If you didn't see the tour live and you buy this DVD, you miss out on some of the highlights.

1. You won't see the touching tributes to the late Carl and Dennis Wilson in which the band backs up video footage of each deceased member singing "God Only Knows" and "Forever" respectively.
2. You won't see a performance of "Add Some Music to Your Day" in which all five core members of the group sing around Brian's piano.
3. You won't see David Marks play the title track from "Pet Sounds" solo.
4. You won't see Brian Wilson sing "I Just Wasn't Made for These Times" and "Please Let Me Wonder."
5. You won't hear some of the classic ballads like "Surfer Girl" or "In My Room."

These are the most glaring omissions in my opinion but those aren't the only performances missing from this video. That's not to say this video still isn't enjoyable. There's enough here to love including great performances of "Heroes and Villains," "Sloop John B," "Sail On, Sailor" and "Wouldn't It Be Nice" among other hits plus two songs from the somewhat obscure 1972 Carl and the Passions album which are surprising but welcome inclusions. The band is shown in good form and the video itself is well-shot.

There are no bonus features and the DVD lacks a chapter menu so if you want to hear a specific song, you have to press "Play All" and use the skip button on your remote. This might bug some people.

Overall, this is a fine sampler but should not be seen as the definitive document. The band deserves better and the fans deserve better. Hopefully in the future, we will see another release from the tour that gives these songs the presentation they deserve and a full concert would be nice.

1.0 out of 5 stars THIS RELEASE IS A RIP OFF!, October 19, 2012
The Beach Boys are awesome, their 50th Anniversary tour was amazing, but this release is a rip off! The Beach Boys performed around 50 songs at each of the concerts including many amazing rarities with beautiful harmonies. Unfortunately, this release is lacking all of the magic. The corporate powers that be have decided to only include 21 songs on this DVD so that they can sell more copies to the casual fans. This "Live In Concert" DVD contains only about 40% of what The Beach Boys performed at each of their shows. This DVD does not contain most of the hauntingly beautiful harmonies and wonderful music that made this tour so magical. This DVD release is an insult to anyone who truely appreciates the beauty and genius of The Beach Boys. This DVD does not do the band justice, nor does it give the fans what they deserve. Don't waste your money here so that the corporate big wigs can cash in on the legacy of The Beach Boys. The fans deserve a release of an ENTIRE show.

As a follow up in case you missed it, here are the songs that The Beach Boys performed that are NOT included on this DVD: Little Honda, Don't Back Down, Surfin Safari, Surfer Girl, The Little Girl I Once Knew, This Whole World, Wendy, Getcha Back, Then I Kissed Her, Please Let Me Wonder, You're So Good To Me, Kiss Me Baby, Come Go With Me, Why Do Fools Fall In Love, When I Grow Up To Be A Man, Dance Dance Dance, Darlin, Disney Girls, Good Timin', It's Ok, Cottonfields, Be True To Your School, Balad Of Ol Betsy, Still Cruisin, Don't Worry Baby, Pet Sounds, Add Some Music, Our Prayer, I Just Wasn't Made For These Times, Let Him Run Wild, California Dreamin, California Saga, In My Room, Surfer Girl, Forever, God Only Knows, All Summer Long, Do You Wanna Dance, Surfin USA, Barbara Ann, & Summers Gone.

The Beach Boys performed ALL of these songs, and All of these songs have been left off this DVD! Take a look at what you're being shafted out of getting and decide for yourself if this DVD is a winner!

3.0 out of 5 stars Track List, October 22, 2012
This review is from: Live in Concert: 50th Anniversary [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
There has been some talk about what the songs on this dvd will be. Well, here is the track listing! I have said it on Facebook, and I will say it here, The fans of The Beach Boys have been begging for a complete concert dvd. This is only 21 songs of the 50 song set during the tour. It seems that nobody in the band is reading our posts here on Amazon, or Facebook. As for the quality of the dvd/BD release,I will edit the review when the dvd is available.
1. Do It Again
20. Kokomo
21. Fun Fun Fun

4.0 out of 5 stars Over too soon., November 25, 2012
This review is from: Live in Concert: 50th Anniversary [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
The first thing I want to do is respond to an earlier reviewer's claims that The Beach Boys sing to a studio track on the song "Isn't it Time". You are dead wrong! It's done live and it's wonderful as is the rest of this oh too short concert film. Why would The Beach Boys lip-sync when they have Brian Wilson's magnificent back -up band behind them literally doubling all the vocals. Not only does this allow the boys to relax and concentrate on their own harmonies but it makes for a much richer live reading of their classic works. For hardcore Beach Boy fans like myself, this concert thankfully contains a juicy center beginning with "Heroes and Villians", "Sloop John B", "Wouldn't it be Nice", "All This is That" (Which made me cry.), "That's Why God Made the Radio", "Sail On Sailor", "Good Vibrations" and the timeless "California Girls". I, like many other fans reviewing here, hope that this isn't going to be the only visual and audio record of this historic musical event that I feel so lucky to have seen this past June in Columbia Maryland. Let's have another volume of the 50th live concert, only this time include what's already on this dvd plus the rest of their 50 song play list. I'll buy it and so will all of the other millions of Beach Boys fans, it's a no brainer and everybody wins. This was a well filmed live concert, the Blu-Ray image really put you there and the 5.1 surround, although I had to crank it up, sounded really good. They all looked relaxed and like they were having fun including our national treasure Brian Wilson who never sounded so good (No lip-syncing,THAT'S FOR SURE!) My four star rating is only because it's not the whole concert.So get this dvd and hope that one day soon, the powers that be release the definitive entire set for our enjoyment in the years to come.

4.0 out of 5 stars much better than many reviews want you to believe!, November 24, 2012
Michael A. Calabrese (Los angeles,, CA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Live in Concert: 50th Anniversary [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
Many fans have intentionally constructed harsh reviews to punish the BB organization for failing to produce a full-show or 50 song DVD film, so many of these negative reviews are a form of critical sabotage. Take then with a grain a salt, as the product is much better and more aesthetically fulfilling than the these will opponents will allow. Others have made more valid critiques of the photography and production artistry, and I myself was sensitized by their cautions when I first put the show on. However: because, despite any concerns, I was simply overwhelmed by the quality of the songs in themselves, the excellence of the performances, and the chance to see so many things that my shaking binoculars prevented me from seeing in concert.

I concede that there is a Platonic BB concert film in our imagination somewhere and perhaps even in the realm of earthly possibility, if the very best production and sound artists were in charge of every recording and filming detail. But in its absence, I will watch this over and over; I find it intimate, detailed, bright, optimistic, loving, and warm. I love the song selection, the directness of the performances, and the tons of lost (now found) Beach Boy Dave Marks playing monster licks. The reality of seeing the BB performing together (and not in grainy you-tube fan videos) trumps an over attention to the details about film editing and camera angle. Viewers will do well to disarm their plastic, Apollonian senses and give themselves over to the Dionysian intoxication of the BB music.

Added note: if you are a fan of David Marks you have to be very happy: I watch the DVD over and over just to study his riffs, some of which are historical (the parts he and/or Carl played) and some of which are invented anew. For many who embrace archetypal narratives of redemption, David Marks IS the reunion. Imagine that kindly boy from "across the street" who left the band at 15, now, in his 60's playing again with the BB, drawing fans to their feet with gasps of awe. Yes, I want a 60 song DVD, and I want to see David himself leading the BB orchestra in a majestic version of Pet Sounds, but I will wait for those and cherish this DVD (the price of 2 venti pumpkin spice lattes?) for now.

2.0 out of 5 stars Lame!!, October 21, 2012
There were excellent shows done in Europe - they should have included the best performance of each song and mix theme together, US shows and rest of the world shows... And 21 songs only??? Not worth buying - I've been a fan for 50 years and this release disappoints me! How about satisfying those who could not attend the shows!!!?? Luckily there are plenty of unofficial shows out there - even if they are not excellent audio at least they are full concerts!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent memento of a GREAT Beach Boys tour !!!, November 19, 2012
Is the cup half empty or half full? I think it's unfortunate when people who haven't actually seen a DVD leave negative reviews that reflect badly on an artist. You don't see an album like, say, "The Who Live At Leeds" getting 1 & 2 star reviews because the producer didn't happen to include over half the concert on the originally released album.

Now on to the issue at hand, this DVD of songs from The Beach Boys 50th Anniversary shows. I have seen it, and I love it! I first went to a Beach Boys concert in 1971 (December 4th in San Diego). I've been to dozens of Beach Boys concerts since, as well as a number of Brian and Al's solo shows, and the Beach Boys 50th show I attended in Irvine, CA was one of the very, very best (I would have been happy with mediocre, just to see the guys all together again, but as this DVD attests, I didn't have to settle).

The Beach Boys like the Beatles always have to strike a balance between satisfying the more casual fan and the devotee in their releases. You would see this on this tour in the set lists, in which the hits were juggled with back catalog classics like "Marcella," "All This Is That," and "This Whole World." The Beach Boys themselves couldn't see eye to eye on what to include or exclude, and of course Beach Boys fans can't either.

THE POSITIVES: The video and audio quality is, to my eyes and ears, excellent. The boys sound great. To me, the vocals of Al Jardine are the strongest of the Beach Boys these days. Now, I like many Beach Boys fans, can quibble about which songs should have been included or not. Yes, I'd like one or two of the ballad hits, "In My Room," "Warmth Of The Sun,"etc., and would love to have "409" replaced with, say, "Surfin' USA." But, every one of the 21 songs on this DVD sounds great. And for me it's worth the price of admission just to have the "Do It Again" intro with Jeff Foskett introducing the boys as they come on-stage and then rip into the song; and the beautiful "All This Is That," one of the lesser known tracks that WAS included (along with "Marcella"). I'm also glad they included "Isn't It Time" and the title track from "That's Why God Made The Radio." A price of $10-$12 for an excellent quality DVD with 21 excellent songs is a great deal, as is $15 for the blu-ray.

THE NEGATIVES: Sure, I'd love all 50 songs from the full 2 1/2 hour show. And while I'm at it I'd love for them to include a bonus of a set by sometimes opener California Saga (nine of the Beach Boys adult kids singing amazing versions of the Beach Boys back catalog). I'll buy a full concert version if that is released.

To sum up, this DVD is an excellent momento of one of the best shows I have ever seen.

4.0 out of 5 stars In Spite Of The Brevity, Beach Boys' Live DVD Is Stunning, November 23, 2012
I read the pre-views which lambasted the producers, the band, and Mike Love for making a tour DVD that represents less than half of the set list. And to an extent I agree -- however, there are enough deep cuts and vocal re-arrangements to keep hardcore fans like me excited and satisfied and plenty of radio staples to please the more superficial fan. I'm now watching it for the first time, and I didn't plan on writing a review until just now, as their celestial performance of "All This Is That" concludes.

For the militant hardcore fans, is there a redemption possible in this DVD's production? Absolutely! I encourage the producers to release a two-disc, unedited version. Heck, why not? McCartney has done it with live CDs, and I imagine others have done likewise. Biggest rip-offs = no "Disney Girls" with Bruce, no "Getcha Back/It's OK" with Dave, no "And Then I Kissed Her" with Al, no "Please Let Me Wonder" with Brian. As to the production value of the film as it is, just think about the wonderful live DVDs Brian Wilson has released over the past decade -- quality is consistent with those releases.

This is not a waste of money and, although it's lightweight, it IS a good concert film of the tour. MORE DEEP CUTS! MORE COWBELL!

2.0 out of 5 stars Just "Do It Again" and Make It Right.......Please?, December 11, 2012
The Beach Boys have always been one of my favorite groups. I was at their concert back in July and it was fantastic. However this DVD (in my opinion) does NOT give you the FEELING of being at a LIVE concert. It feels like you're watching a FILM of the concert that keeps jumping from one frame to the next. The picture keeps switching too quickly between the group on stage, then goes behind the group, then to the audience,then back on stage, etc. This keeps happening over and over at a rapid pace, making the viewer feel like he (or she) is only experiencing bits and pieces of the concert.

The sound quality during the show (in my opinion) is a bit muffled and lacks bass. However at the very end when the credits are shown, the sound quality suddenly gets better. I'm wondering if the sound technicians tried to doctor the audio of the concert to make the film sound better, but ended up muffling the sound instead.

We all know by now that this DVD is only an abridged version of the concert. Europe released a 2 DVD version of this show and combined the concert with the "Doin' It Again" DVD as the second disc. (Thank you Sonora Dick for this information. I was under the impression that this was more of the concert. I feel better now.)

On the positive side (as I DO want to at least TRY to show some objectivity),we have the Beach Boys with their great harmony. They save the day when it comes to watching this DVD. In spite of the rapid picture frames and muffled sound, the harmony still shines through,giving us some enjoyment. I guess having this DVD is better than not having anything at all.

Hopefully, whoever made this film will "Do It Again" and make it better the second time around. To the producers, if you ever (by any chance or miracle) read this review, how about releasing a DVD set of the ENTIRE "Royal Albert Hall" Concert (from London, Sept. 27) where the Beach Boys sang a whooping 61 songs!! ("Wouldn't It Be Nice" to have a DVD of THAT show? Go to [...] and read about it. Song sets from many of their other 2012 tours are also listed.)

To sum it up,the MUSIC on this DVD is enjoyable despite (my opinion of) the sound and picture issues I discussed earlier. It's also the only available way for us experience the highlights of this great concert tour. So BUY IT and enjoy. Hopefully a better version will be released in the future.

5.0 out of 5 stars I'm reviewing what is here NOT what isn't...., November 20, 2012
This review is from: Live in Concert: 50th Anniversary [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
Do I wish I'd seen this concert? Yes. Do I wish there was twice the material here? Yes. For the lousy 15 bucks I spent today at Best Buy am I happy with this hour plus show on blu ray ? Hell Yes!

I can't argue with anybody who wants all the rest of the show and it seems like the last documentary DVD/BR and this could have easily been combined onto one DVD or BR but for the price of a few gallons of gas I have a couple wonderful BR's from the 50th reunion and I'm thrilled! Now if this BR disc wasn't 15 bucks but 30 and the DVD 25 instead of 10 ...I'd be screaming bloody murder like the other reviewers..

I'm really glad I took the chance today and bought this.... we've watched it twice already and its a very valuable addition to my collection.

Its filmed well.. the boys look like they are having fun and as I said it will enjoy heavy rotation forever.

Live in Concert: 50th Anniversary [Blu-ray]
Live in Concert: 50th Anniversary [Blu-ray] by The Beach Boys (Blu-ray - 2012)
$19.98 $13.88