4.0 out of 5 stars Natalie Merchant's Live CD Adds New Dimension to Songs
Published on March 28, 2000 by Kevin kcm12@hotmail.com

2.0 out of 5 stars Barely Live In Concert
I've always been a fan of Natalie Merchant's talent. She's always had a very unique voice and I consider her one of THE greatest lyricists in all of Rock & Pop, but I had a hard time warming up to this live album.
The sound quality is very good, with all the instruments coming through clearly and distinctly, but I have to admit that Natalie's voice has lost some of...
Published on January 23, 2002 by Relayer71

4.0 out of 5 stars Natalie Merchant's Live CD Adds New Dimension to Songs, March 28, 2000
This review is from: Live in Concert (Audio CD)
Since her early days with 10,000 Maniacs, Natalie Merchant has been an impeccable storyteller. Songs like "Like the Weather," "Trouble Me," and "These are Days" are not only catchy pop tunes, but they also relate to the human condition: the way in which the weather affects one's mood, the importance of the older generation, and the importance of remembering the good times.
After Ms. Merchant left the Maniacs and embarked on a solo career, her songs might not be considered the catchy pop tunes of the late 80s and early 90s, but they still reflect the frail emotional condition of humankind.
On Live in Concert, Merchant's songs are intimate yet powerful. She starts with "Wonder," her most Maniacs-like song, from her 1995 solo debut, Tigerlily. She proceeds to the poetic "San Andreas Fault," a parable about going to Los Angeles to "build a dream and watch it all fall down."
In addition to two Maniacs' songs, there are three new songs, all of which are covers. The most familiar is her cover of David Bowie's "Space Oddity." Though it doesn't vary much from the original, Merchant brings the loneliness and despair of the song to a more human level than Bowie's colder version.
The standout piece is "The Gulf of Araby," a song about inequality and about how cruel man can be to his fellow man. It's a song about "neighbors who are proud of their massacres" and prisoners who are "framed by a dirty judge." At just over seven minutes, it's the longest track on this sixty minute CD. The song's sense of urgency is delivered by Merchant's strong, soaring voice. The lyrics, coupled with Merchant's delivery, are goosebump provoking.
Noticeably absent, however, are songs from Merchant's 1998 release, Ophelia. Only the CD's title track is featured on her Live effort, and although a great performance, it isn't nearly enough from such a brilliant CD. "Life is Sweet," "Kind and Generous," and "Break Your Heart" would have been wonderful additions to this live set. But these omissions are forgivable - as long as they are included on a future live album that is equally as pleasing and gratifying as this one.

5.0 out of 5 stars OK... I'll admit I was a skeptic, but I was wrong....., December 27, 1999
This review is from: Live in Concert (Audio CD)
After purchasing both Natalie Merchant studio CDs, why bother buying a live disc that just rehashes old stuff -- well, with Natalie what you see is often not what you get.
I find with her live performances a much more nuanced and pronounced vocal -- lyrics which were blurred and fuzzy on the studio disc are now out in front. NEWS FLASH, her songwriting is poetry. Give a listen to the smooth and haunting Ophelia as an example of what I mean...
Her concert versions of these tracks tell you so much more about them. If you like her, you need to buy this, simply so you can turn off the lights, turn up the volume, and pretend like you are sitting in the middle of the auditorium, watching her live in concert, new york city, june 13, 1999...
You won't regret it...

4.0 out of 5 stars Solid Ground, November 28, 1999
By A Customer
This review is from: Live in Concert (Audio CD)
I have never understood how Noatalie Merchant has ended up in the "Love Her"/"Hate Her" category of artists who draw adamant extremes of public and critics opinion (esp. critics). Perhaps its difficulty trying to relate to a strong, intelligent, compassionate woman who is in the business for arts sake. Never one to pander to the audience or critics with overt sexuality or stories about her personal life, Ms. Merchant has dedicated herself to making beautiful music only. All this being said as a preface to her wonderful new "Live in Concert" recording - a relaxed but reverent affair documenting her year long tour promoting 1998's "Ophelia" CD. A wonderful retrospective made primarily from her work as a solo artist (get 10,000 Maniacs "Unplugged" if you want the old stuff)Merchant shows the stellar results of spending the last 17 years on the road. My only criticism is the exclusion of some of her more updeat obscure songs say, "My Sister Rose," or even the rocker "Scorpio Rising" from the brilliant "Wishing Chair" CD. "Gun Shy" was a nice surprise though. All said this a a fine collection for old and new fans to savor until the next tour. Thanks for the early Christmas present Natalie.

5.0 out of 5 stars On the long dry or raininy road this is the music to hear, July 7, 2006
This review is from: Live in Concert (Audio CD)
I came across Nathalie Merchant unexpectedly. When I saw the movie One Fine Day I was captivated by the song she sings (one fine day), I looked everywhere until I foud the soundtrack and knew her name, then, in my usual used cd store here in Caracas I saw this wordeful edition (cardbox) of this live album.

Nathalie has a style that I can consider as atmospheric and best described by the relaxing hallucinations she takes me when Im on the road (rain or shine) on my long trips as a travelling salesman.. Indeed a reviewer commented that her style is dull, I can understand this appreciation but only if we considered Brian Eno to be dull because of his style... let her captivate you, she is so natural, unimposing.. Im 42 YO so for me its not easy to just let any new-kid-in-town just to make an univited introduction into my music world, but Im so glad I did to this wonderful album

5.0 out of 5 stars Incredible, moody, and uncompromising... a must buy! :o), November 21, 1999
This review is from: Live in Concert (Audio CD)
This is a must buy if you like Natalie Merchant... Beautiful arrangements with some of the most deeply moving of Merchant's career. Especially notable are Dust Bowl and the Gulf of Araby, evoking a remarkable level of emotion rarely seen in modern "pop" or modern rock. It is something you can listen to over and over without tiring of it, opening up new dimensions with each listening... highly reccommended!

4.0 out of 5 stars This "Oddity" is Worth It., July 16, 2000
This review is from: Live in Concert (Audio CD)
I wouldn't consider Natalie Merchant to be one of my favorite artists, but I do like her. I own both of her solo albums, as well as this live release, so I guess that says something. I'm not incredibly familiar with her work with 10,000 Maniacs -- just what they play on the radio and whatever songs are on the album with "These Are The Days" (my mom used to have the tape).
"Live in Concert" is a great disc. I bought this disc on a whim. Browsing through CDs, I found this one and was thrilled by the prospect of hearing Natalie cover David Bowie's "Space Oddity." I bought the disc without hearing any of it and wasn't disappointed. "Oddity" is my overall favorite track - she doesn't stray much from the original, but it's a treat to hear her take on the classic tune.
I saw Ms. Merchant live at the 1998 Lilith Fair and thought she was phenomenal. This disc really captures the live performance experience. The passion and intensity in her voice is phenomenal and has a whole different level live.
With only two solo albums under her belt, I initially felt that a live Natalie Merchant album wasn't necessary. The album has eleven tracks - two of which are from her Maniacs days and three of which are other covers ("Oddity" being one of them). The remaining six tracks are from her two albums. These live versions take her songs to a different level - "Wonder" and "Carnival," her biggest hits off of "Tigerlily," really take off here and refreshingly transcend above the overplayed limbo they've been sentenced to, thanks to VH1, radio, and your neighborhood supermarket. I would have liked to have seen a few more tracks - notably absent were "Kind and Generous" and "Life is Sweet." It would have been a dream to have her cover of Oasis' "Wonderwall" on this album. Overall, the album is worth it and compliments her solo work well.

4.0 out of 5 stars Vintage Natalie, November 25, 1999
Glen Brandow (Hopewell Junction, New York USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Live in Concert (Audio CD)
For any true Natalie fan, this outstanding collection brings back the unique experience of seeing her live. Gun Shy alone makes this album more than worth the price, not to mention a heart-stopping version of Space Oddity and the classic Dust Bowl Days. Execeptional sound quality and the emotion only she can deliver. You get the idea that I'm a fan...

4.0 out of 5 stars A Carnival of Wonder, August 9, 2000
John B. Maggiore (Buffalo, NY United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Live in Concert (Audio CD)
Natalie Merchant's live versions of her own songs, mostly off "Tigerlilly," are pretty good but perhaps too faithful to the studio versions to be memorably distinct. What makes this live album strong are her covers of David Bowie's "Space Oddity" and Neil Young's "After the Gold Rush." Both are great, well-known songs by two of my favorite artists. Merchants' renditions do the songs justice. She makes them sound like her own without departing too much from the intent of the originals. On the whole, I think this album is best for either serious Natalie fans or very casual fans interested in a sampling of her post-10,000 Maniacs songbook. But if you're somewhere in the middle, get "Tigerlilly" first, which as a pure Natalie album, is better.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very high level of quality : close to the perfection !, December 14, 1999
This review is from: Live in Concert (Audio CD)
Before listening to this CD, I thought that all the song that are on it will be similar or close to the songs of the two precedent albums of Nathalie. You know, like many bands which make a live CD just to do something !
But in fact ..... this album is like a Christmas gift that Nathalie makes to us !
Excellent rythms (better than on the two previous CD), beautiful pop music, very good arrangements, make of this album one of the most perfect that I have heard.
Of course, the still so wonderful voice of Nathalie MERCHANT conclude the list of qualities of this album, to make of it ... The perfect one !
My only complaint is that there arent any song from the 10.000 Maniacs. The page has been turn ! But what for a great album is it !

5.0 out of 5 stars Natalie Merchant is Angelic on this album!, May 20, 2000
This review is from: Live in Concert (Audio CD)
This is a great live album (and video). I just wish it had more songs from Tigerlily and Ophelia! Fortunately the video has the brilliant Break Your Heart and Life is Sweet so I reccommend buying it too!
I mavourite tracks are Wonder and Opheila which have brilliant live renditions. I also liked hearing Gun Shy and the wonderful Gulf of Araby for the first time. Not sure about Space Oddity though, maybe this wa a cover to many to include on the album (there are 3 in total).
However this doesn;t detract from an amazing experience - I have listened to this album again and again. I also bought the video which as you got different tracks as already mention. It is well worth SEEING her perform aswell as hearing her so go buy them both now!

Live in Concert
Live in Concert by Natalie Merchant (Audio CD - 1999)