Automotive Holiday Deals Books Gift Guide Books Gift Guide Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Prime Music Sweepstakes egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Beauty Gifts Gifts for Her Amazon Gift Card Offer cm15 cm15 cm15 $30 Off Amazon Echo $30 Off Fire HD 6 Kindle Cyber Monday Deals Shop Now HTL

• Live
  • Customer Reviews

Format: Audio CDChange

on April 27, 2013
I pretty much agree with the earlier reviews that after waiting for years to hear live versions of our favorite ELO songs, that this is a single disc package. I was hoping the release would have all the songs from the ZOOM Live PBS show DVD plus the songs that were not originally included in that package.

I agree that Jeff Lynne's management is not thinking clearly. "Turn to Stone" should have been included on this set instead of as a bonus track on the re-release of ZOOM. They should have released this live set with all the songs from the ZOOM concert which would have made an excellent double album and then include the bonus tracks "Out of Luck" and "Cold Feet" on the ZOOM re-issue along with "One Day".

With that said, I did enjoy hearing "Secret Messages", "Sweet Talking Woman", "Twilight" and "Confusion" which are not on the ZOOM Live DVD.

This should have been a 27-song double CD to really capture the essence of the Electric Light Orchestra. The fact that the gorgeous version of "One Summer Dream" is not on this set is a crime. Rose Vela performed incredible background vocals on that song.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
I am a big fan of ELO and the concert from which this CD has been extracted was pretty good. That said, this is a lame chintzy extraction from that concert.

The original setlist for the Zoom concert, as represented on DVD is:

"Do Ya"
"Mr. Blue Sky"
"Ma-Ma-Ma Belle"
"One Summer Dream"
"State of Mind"
"Can't Get It Out of My Head"
"Moment in Paradise"
"10538 Overture"
"Ordinary Dream"
"Shine a Little Love"
"Don't Bring Me Down"
"Roll Over Beethoven"

An additional six songs "Sweet Talkin' Woman", "Rock 'n' Roll Is King" and "All She Wanted" along with pre-show soundchecks "Twilight", "Secret Messages" and "Confusion" are not on the DVD but were played live at that time.

So we have 26 tracks to choose from, and we get 11 here.

Come on...what's the point?

I'd happily buy the complete concert on 2CDs. But this? No thanks. And the idea of putting two studio bonus tracks on this release (instead of tacking them on one of the studio reissues being released at the same time, such as Zoom) is just silly.
1010 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 27, 2013
I know a lot of people here are turned off, but it's still a solid recording. It's always nice to have a rare live ELO disc. Jeff was 53 at the time, good solid band here, Greg and Matt Bissonette on drums and bass, Richard Tandy piano, Rosie Vela b,vocals (Jeff's girlfriend at the time) and Marc Mann keyboards. Plenty of concert favorites in "Evil Woman", "Take It Richard". Jeff's sharp guitar lead on "Showdown", nice to hear "Secret Messages", live is just amazing stuff. "Livin' Thing", sounds fully fresh here, the magical "Sweet Talkin' Woman", the Jeff Lynne masterpiece since 1977, "Mr. Blue Sky", the beautiful ballad done perfectly here "Can't Get It Out Of My Head". Saw ELO perform "Twilight", on the "Time", tour in 1981, this version brings it all back loud and clear. "Confusion", jeff always said he loved this tune, fine performance. The band does a solid job on Don't Bring Down", with a funky break. Lynne gives it his all on the Chuck Berry/ELO classic "Roll Over Beethoven". For a guy that really dislikes live stuff, he's pretty damn good at it! Jeff is also a very underrated guitar player, nobody ever mentions him anywhere. Maybe Jeff will release the rest of the concert later, let's hope so. The bonus tracks are 2 studio cuts, "Out Of Luck", a rock-a-billy 50's number , with a great Jeff guitar break and "Cold Feet", a modern sounding, nice melodic pop-rock tune. If you want some great live ELO try "Live In Winterland 1976", very expensive now, that's a great CD and the 1974 release "The Night The Light's Went On In Long Beach". Nice text by David Wild here, if your a true ELO fan, get this album.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
You have to question Jeff Lynne's management lately and this CD is a good reason why. Pulled from one of the shows to support the release of Zoom, this set ideally should have had the entire show on the CD. Instead we get barely half of the show (this was previously released on DVD as well with 23 songs on it). None of the "Zoom" material is included although we do get a healthy selection of "prime" ELO songs AND, oddly enough, TWO new "bonus" tracks (how can it be a bonus if this was never released on CD before?)which, ideally SHOULD have been on the "Zoom" reissue.

It's nice that we finally get "Secret Messages", "Twilight", "Confusion", "Don't Bring Me Down", "Mr. Blue Sky", "Sweet Talking Woman" and "Livin' Thing" performed live.

If you're a fan also worthwhile picking up areNight Light Went on (In Long Bea) an earlier live recording (which was supposed to be expanded as part of the remaster campaign but was, sadly, sidelined) and Live at BBC(if you can find this release an affordable price--it's a pity that this was withdrawn) the latter includes recordings for 1973, 1974 and 1976 BBC sessions with the 1976 being for the "Face the Music" album.

The mastering is compressed and doesn't have the dynamic range I would have liked to see for this live recording.

The only member of the classic ELO line up included is long time collaborator Richard Tandy.

It's perplexing as to why this didn't include the entire concert or most of it any way as the disc is 30 minutes shy of its maximum running time if they had wanted to keep this to a single disc.

It's good to hear Jeff having such a good time and with a top notch band supporting him I just wish we could hear more of the show on CD. There were also soundchecks recorded for this show that included songs not on this set AND also not on the DVD release which could have been included as bonus tracks. I enjoyed the two bonus tracks here "Cold Feet" and "Out of Luck" but they would have been more at home on either the "Zoom" reissue or, even better, on Armchair Theatre both of which only had two bonus tracks (and, curiously, one of the bonus tracks on "Zoom" was a live version of "Turn to Stone" which would have been better served here).

While it's nice to have actual cellos on the recording, it's too bad that Lynne didn't also include violinist Mik Kaminski or someone else to play the violin parts live. They sound pretty good here as generated by Tandy on sythesizer but there's no replacement truly for the real thing.

I'm happy that we get new stuff from Jeff but just wish that we would have gotten an entire show here and more bonus tracks on the other two reissues. I also wish the mastering had been better.

Either way, fans will enjoy this it's just a bit on the skimpy side for long time fans.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 23, 2013
Sound quality is great and I buy everything associated with ELO but I find this release rather frustrating. It is less than 50 minutes long and is missing a ton of tracks that were released already on DVD...Including...Do Ya, Strange Magic, Ma-Ma-Ma- Belle, Telephone Line, 10538 Overture etc...Perhaps a double CD??? Lynne misses the mark here as he did with the Flashback box set...
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 14, 2013
I love Jeff Lynne and I love ELO. But this CD is only "mostly" good, with the exceptions being the bonus tracks which are neither live nor.. well... all that good? It's also quite short compared to the original recordings done at CBS Television City.

The original live concert produced 23 live tracks that made it to DVD. This CD only has 11 live tracks. While some of the tracks on this CD were not included on the DVD (Secret Messages, Sweet Talkin' Woman, Twilight and Confusion), the CD is missing a number of classic ELO tracks from the DVD (Do Ya, Strange Magic, Telephone Line, Turn To Stone, Ma Ma Ma Belle, One Summer Dream, Tightrope, 10538 Overture, and Shine A Little Love) as well as every track from Zoom, which was the album the concert was promoting.

All of the live tracks are VERY good. Well performed and excellently mastered, so I don't want to sell this CD completely short. But is Jeff planning a "Live Part Two"? Even if you leave off the Zoom tracks from the DVD, there's enough material for a second disc! I could've done without the "B-side" bonus tracks if it meant giving me two more live tracks.
on September 8, 2014
Fans will love the live performances of "Secret Messages," "Sweet Talkin' Woman," "Twilight," and "Confusion," which I don't think were on the broadcast version of the live show. The CD, however, leaves out the live performances of anything from "Zoom," which shortens the concert considerably--though, as a listening experience, I don't particularly miss them in this context, because I'm getting a lot of pleasure from hearing the older songs (and especially the tracks from the later LPs Discovery, Time, and Secret Messages. If they'd added a song or two from "Balance of Power" they'd have had a royal flush.

I had tickets to this tour, which was cancelled following poor advance sales, and based on this recording I believe it would have been a great night out. (I didn't feel exactly this way after watching the edited concert on PBS.)

If you enjoyed the performances on the Live "Zoom" shows, go ahead and get this, because the additional tracks are, in my opinion, well worth it.
on May 10, 2013
I'm giving the CD 5 stars for what it is and not what it could have been. I have been waiting for a live Jeff Lynne related ELO album for years, and while this album is not perfect, it gets 5 stars for what we get. The band sounds great and I love to hear the cellos in the mix. While the violin is missing from key songs, I believe Richard Tandy makes up the sound difference. Jeff sounds great and his voice is as strong as ever. The backing band are great as well. Hearing Secret Messages live brought a smile to my face because we never got to hear that song live before and it's done very well. Too bad this Zoom Tour was cancelled because it looks like we missed out on a great ELO tour back in 2001, and I did have tickets to see them. I would have loved to have had many more songs to fill the 80 minute CD, but what we have is well worth the price.
VINE VOICEon July 4, 2013
I see a lot of speculation over why this concert is so incomplete but I can't help but wonder if some of that has to do with the fact that the Zoom Live dvd is owned or at least, licensed to Image Entertainment and is still currently available. Maybe part of the reason that more of the show isn't released here has something to do with that? Image Entertainment is pretty notorious for pulling videos off of places like YouTube. Jeff might be legally prohibited from releasing too much on one release. This would also explain why this isn't called Zoom Live and a lack of Zoom tunes. It would also make sense why the live Turn To Stone is released on the expanded Zoom and not here. This cd clocks in at around 50 minutes and half of it is unreleased. While I also would've preferred at least a full disc, what's here is quite good performance wise and it's an inexpensive release so I'm reasonably happy. FYI, the Japan import comes with a bonus track of Telephone Line but I wasn't about to shell out another $20.00 for that.
on June 5, 2013
The CD with all live versions of all the ELO favorites and then some, is terrific. The band sounds great and the CD quality is awesome. Makes me with that Jeff Lynne would get back on the road!