5.0 out of 5 stars Re-living an era
I frequented the Fillmore East. For almost 4 years it was a place I visited about twice a month. I was not alone. The Fillmore was a special place to listen to and see the best musicians of the time. There was a feeling one had when they entered the old building that wasn't found elsewhere.
After almost 3 decades since its closing, Amalie Rothschild hs put...
Published on November 28, 1999 by gadget man

3.0 out of 5 stars A Blast from the Past!
The photographs are not professional but is it a wonderful reminder of my past. I spent many weekends at the Fillmore East and
they were some of the best times ever.
Published on January 11, 2012 by BLKBIRDE

5.0 out of 5 stars Re-living an era, November 28, 1999
This review is from: Live at the Fillmore East: A Photographic Memoir (Hardcover)
After almost 3 decades since its closing, Amalie Rothschild hs put together an amazing compilation of photographs which attempt to capture that time. From the innerworkings of the theatre and its staff, led by Bill Graham she presents the production aspect of the Fillmore. The stars, however, as the stars - the performers themselves. Seen on stage and off, with a sharp eye, these photographs really bring back that special feeling the audience had at the theatre.
There will never be another Fillmore East, nor a theatre that even approaches its stature as a "rock palace", but "Fillmore East : A Photographic Memoir" does a phenomenal job in bringing it all back home.
Get this book for anyone who was there, anyone who wishes they were there, or anyone who needs to know it was there!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fillmore East Memoir - A Triumph!, February 14, 2000
New York's rock, blues, and yes, jazz shrine of music culture during the late 1960's and early 1970's has finaly been been given it's due thanks to Ms. Rothschild. We the faithful, who for the most part never knew the secrets of the venue and it's most powerful accoutrements, Lights & Sound, are now sated. Special thanks must go to Stacy Kreutzman and her fine publishing company for another glorius volume. Everything we always wanted to know about the venue is here wonderfully remembered in word and photo. You mean the Light Show was behind the stage! And, that "Exit sign" was the passageway backstage were the real fun was! Ms.Rothschild walks us through the place and it's inner workings taking special care to show and explain just how Joshua's Lights worked its magic. Her live concert photos are revelatory, especially that Holy Grail photo of the Dead, Fleetwood Mac and the Allman's onstage for their incredible, once in a lifetime jam. The photos of the outer lobby and ticket window took me instantly back to the place; and the memories lost for 30 years started flooding back. The uninitiated will love the book for its stunning photos of Miles, Jimi, and Duane, just to mention a few. The archivists will love the book for it's [apparently] thoroughly updated chronology of concerts. I love it all, Thank You, Thank You, Thank You.

5.0 out of 5 stars Total Time Machine, March 30, 2000
Frances A Dahl (Crockett, California) - See all my reviews
Wow! I worked in this place for 2 plus years and didn't know half this stuff. Great therapy for all those fading brain cells. Left me with a smile on my face and music in my heart.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great resource for us later generations, August 12, 2003
Great book! Amazing text with all the technical description of the Joshua Light Show and the inner workings of the FE. Just a couple of mistakes, though. The author initially states that Newport was in California, then later in the passage correctly puts it in Rhode Island. Also, Jethro Tull was not at Woodstock.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fillmore East Comes Alive, May 13, 2005
The Fillmore East was not only the Mecca of Rock Music in the late sixties and early seventies, it was also the epicenter of all Rock Music, as well as jazz and performance art from the era. Live at the Fillmore East captures the ambience of the era by capturing not only the acts performing on stage, but the audience's exuberance and the backstage scene in wonderful photography by Amalie R. Rothschild. I'd highly recommend this book to all music lovers, like myself, who have an appreciation for the music of Jimi Hendrix, Janis, The Who, The Grateful Dead (many great pictures of the band on stage), Miles Davis, etc.

A special portion of the book is dedicated to the light shows that were so valuable in those days in highlighting the music as it was being performed. If you ever attended a show at the Fillmore East, this book is a must! If you know the reputation of Bill Graham and the Fillmore East and never attended a show there: this book is a must also! Great forward by Mickey Hart and great text by the author. Buy this book and treasure it for the testament of a great, historical era in music.

3.0 out of 5 stars A Blast from the Past!, January 11, 2012
they were some of the best times ever.

5.0 out of 5 stars Tremendous collection of photographs and more, December 31, 2009
My original review appeared on Amazon when this book was first published and my appreciation for the work has grown over the years. These photos were taken by Amalie Rothschild during a time when I was 15-17 years old, and they are so important to me as someone who deeply appreciates this genre of music. J Geils, Richie Havens, Neil Young, Sly Stone, Pink Floyd captured here in the early days is the kind of magical stuff people who enjoy their music want to keep on a bookshelf next to their albums. But the photos of those who left us at the time of this book's publication: Janis Joplin, Cass Elliot, Frank Zappa, Felix Pappalardi, John Lennon, Laura Nyro, Paul Butterfield, are extraordinary. Close to 20,000 photos were taken according to the book. This is an amazing snapshot of an important time and a most important venue. I love the itinerary of gigs and the photo index. Quite a book that you fall in love with the more you go back and stare at the images captured by Rothschild's inventiveness.

5.0 out of 5 stars WOW -- talk about a flashback!, November 7, 2008
I frequented the Fillmore almost every Friday night for at least three years. I was looking for an extra gift for my husband (also a former FE attendee) and thought this would be perfect. When it arrived the other day, I could not wait to give it to him. I opened the box and we immediately started perusing the book cover to cover and reminiscing about times that were pure magic and joy. Amalie's photos capture the place inside and out. There were photos from my very first concert -- Santana at the Fillmore in the Fall of 1969 and from other shows that we were lucky to see. It brought back so many memories to the both of us. As an added bonus, when we got to the end of the book, we actually saw a friend in one of the pictures. It was the night of the bomb scare. Lo and behold, there is Joe standing in the crowd outside the theater. This book is a must-have for all of us who were lucky enough to be present at the FE and those of us who wish they could have been a part of it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Such a pleasure - very enlightening, August 7, 2003
Both the photos and text are so interesting! I am "only" 37 years old, so I did not experience the F.E. but it would have been fascinating to see and hear. To watch the J.L.S. and know that someone is creating it RIGHT NOW, not some software program, would be exciting. Oils, slides, reflections, and stuff. Cool. All the technical descriptions engrossed me. Man, to see the backstage work is to really see some people HARD AT WORK! It would not be easy to find people with the patience and insight to recreate or embellish on what was done 30-35 years ago. I was surprised, however, by two mistakes in the text. The first one stating that Newport '69 was in California. Later, the author properly states that this festival was in R.I. The second: Jethro Tull was not one of the bands at Woodstock, although the author says that she photographed them. Mistakes aside, this book is a keepsake. I'm so glad I found it (at my public library)

5.0 out of 5 stars Thank God for Bill Graham and the Fillmore East!, March 13, 2006
I love this book. I frequented the Fillmore East 18 times between 1970 until it closed in June of 71. This book brought back so many memories. The Fillmore East was without a doubt the greatest place to see and hear a concert and I miss it. I am glad that I was able to be a part of the Fillmore East - even got to speak to Bill Graham the night of the last public concert. I am very glad this book was put together and anyone who was there will enjoy it. I sure do miss those days - Thanks Amalie!!! Got anymore tidbits - any chance of a Fillmore East Late Show edition?

Live at the Fillmore East: A Photographic Memoir
Live at the Fillmore East: A Photographic Memoir by Ruth Ellen Gruber (Hardcover - November 30, 1999)
Used & New from: $64.00