5.0 out of 5 stars Ten Years After Live From The Vaults
Published on October 24, 2001 by J. E FELL

3.0 out of 5 stars Iffy Sound Quality
Good jamming, but poor recording of this legendary boogie blues band. I recommend this as a later addition, after you explore the rest of the TYA catalogue.
Published on February 19, 2008 by Pat Lamorgese

5.0 out of 5 stars Ten Years After Live From The Vaults, October 24, 2001
J. E FELL "boogaloojef" (Carterville, Illinois United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Live at the Fillmore East (Audio CD)
I read about this new cd in "Ice" magazine and I had to find a copy. This is a 2 cd import set recorded live at the Fillmore East during 2 nights in New York City. Ten Years After are an interesting band mixing elements of rock, blues, and jazz. The jazz elements are even more evident when they performed live in concert. This enabled Alvin Lee and company to stretch out and improvise within the framework of their songs. This release follows on the heels of two other excellent live albums "Undead" and "Recorded Live". This cd contains live versions of a number of songs not included on the previously mentioned disks. Among the those cuts are a live version on their single "Love Like A Man", and the rarely played Chuck Berry cover "Roll Over Beethoven" found in tandem with "Sweet Little Sixteen". The set list spotlights two cuts from their (unreleased at that point) "Cricklewood Green" album. These are smoking renditions of "Working On The Road" and "50,000 Miles Beneath My Brain". The second disc includes "Woke Up This Morning" and the rarely played by this time "Spoonful". Alvin's faster than light speed runs are spotlighted on "Help Me" and the inevitable "I'm Going Home". The underrated bass techique of Leo Lyons is featured on "Good Morning Little Schoolgirl", while Ric Lee's drumming is featured on the "Hobbit". The collective improvisational skills of the entire band are highlighted in "I Can't Keep From Crying Sometimes" which also contains brief bits of "Cat's Squirrel" and "Sunshine Of Your Love". The cd booklet descibes the concert experience at the Fillmore and is penned by drummer Ric Lee. This is a welcome addition to my collection and is in heavy rotation. Rumor has it that their individual albums originally issued on Chrysalis are scheduled to be remastered with the addition of bonus tracks. I am already chomping at the bit if this release is any indication of what goodies are left in the vaults.

5.0 out of 5 stars Incredible Lost Treasure, September 11, 2001
This review is from: Live at the Fillmore East (Audio CD)
Every Ten Years After fan in the world should rejoice with this release. A stellar performance remastered to near perfect sound quality ensures the listener a feast of Alvin Lee and the boys. Great liner notes from Ric Lee with a host of photos from the event just add to the CD. The musical selection is what sets this live performance apart from other TYA releases. The band brings out material from Crickelwood Green and a number of never before released live takes from the past as an encore. The live take of "I woke up this morning" followed by "Spoonfull" is worth the price of admission alone. Bottom line on this CD is quality performance. A must have for any Ten Years After fan.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Guitarist of his Day?, September 14, 2001
ALAN L KAPLAN (Nicholasville, KY United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Live at the Fillmore East (Audio CD)
If you are at all a Ten Years After fan, you owe it to yourself to get this 2 disc set. Not only is it the best TYA performance I have heard (makes the Recorded Live CD completely obsolete), but the sound quality is just phenomenal. The remastering makes it sound like it could have been recorded last month. Just to give you an idea of the type of performance it is, out of 12 songs, only two or three are under 8 minutes long (several are over 15 minutes long). Soloing is the order of the day, with Alvin Lee turning in his best stuff yet available. The 16 minute version of Help Me is alone worth the price of the discs (he throws in some slide guitar, which I don't think I've ever heard from him). In the late 60's, I always thought that Hendrix, Clapton, and Alvin Lee were the three best guitarists of their day. Interestingly, I enjoy listening to Alvin Lee more than the other two. That ability of sheer speed while still staying within the structure of the song is something that Clapton and Hendrix never accomplished as well as Alvin Lee. They somewhat meandered while Alvin Lee and his rhythm section stayed in the flow. It takes a recording and performance like the one on these CDs to prove that point.

5.0 out of 5 stars Vintage Ten Years After at their peak !, July 29, 2001
This review is from: Live at the Fillmore East (Audio CD)
These excellent quality live Ten Years After recordings were made by Jimi Hendrix engineer Eddie Kramer on Friday February 27 and Saturday February 28, 1970 at the Fillmore East in New York. Ten Years After played two sets on each night and the tracks included here represent the best of those performances. This was midway between the legendary Ten Years After appearances at Woodstock in August 1969 and the Isle of Wight Festival one year later. These Fillmore East shows were also played shortly before the release of the acclaimed "Cricklewood Green" album in April 1970. Songs such as "Love Like A Man", "Working On The Road" & "50,000 Miles Beneath My Brain" are therefore represented. But, in addition to the classics such as "Good Morning Little School Girl" & "I'm Going Home", the real bonus is inclusion of the earlier Ten Years After material - "Help Me", "Spoonful" and "I Woke Up This Morning". The latter two songs were played as special encores for a highly appreciative Fillmore audience. Established Ten Years After fans will drown in delight upon hearing these previously unreleased live tracks. Unlike the polished and somewhat routine sounding 1973 "Recorded Live" European Tour album, these early 1970 Ten Years After performances display an edge and intensity that was characteristic of their live shows during this period. It is shows like these that earned Ten Years After so many fans and made them so popular. For anybody curious to know why so much praise was given to lead guitarist Alvin Lee, buy this CD and you will understand. These unedited live recordings showcase a band that warrants a lot more attention than many of their less deserving contemporaries receive today.

4.0 out of 5 stars This is the one to get, May 10, 2004
kireviewer (Sunnyvale, Ca United States) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Live at the Fillmore East (Audio CD)
I would buy this CD instead of the other Ten Years After live CD, called Recored Live. This has one has more songs on it. There is about 2 hours of music on these 2 CD's. The sound quality is good but not excellent.
Ten Years After played the same basic show for a decade. They had 5 core songs which would take up over an hour: I Can't Keep From Crying Sometimes, I'm Going Home, Help Me, Good Morning Little School and the Hobbit. As the years went on, they would get more polished in how they would play these songs. I think some got better and some got worse.
I can't quite give this CD 5 stars. The first CD starts out strong and burns all the way through. It is very intense and energetic. But, things seem to go downhill on the second CD. It has the weakest version of I'm Going Home I have ever heard. Then there is the needless Chuck Berry songs, that just really slow everything down. These are classic songs, but the band just goes through the motions in playing them.
So, if you already own Recorded Live, should you buy Live at the Filmore East? I like this version of I Can't Keep From Crying better. They do more playing around with the song at the end. Also, Love Like A Man and 50,000 Miles Beneath My Brain are fantastic, and they are not on Recorded Live. But, the second CD isn't so good. I bought it for Love Like A Man, and am glad I did.

5.0 out of 5 stars Ten Years After's Phenomenal Fillmore concert on CD!, November 25, 2001
highway_star (Hallandale, Florida United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Live at the Fillmore East (Audio CD)
This 2-cd set is worth every cent. The sound quality is terrific and Ten Years After puts on the best performance that this fan's ever heard. Ever song is great and Alvin Lee never misses a note as he plays with lightning speed. You've got the classic "I'm Going Home" as well as songs from The Cricklewood Green LP such as "Love Like a Man" and "Working on the Road" as well as others including a great version of "Spoonful". All in all this should be released domestically so that every TYA fan can have a chance to hear the Fillmore East Concert and listen to this exciting blues/rock band. Highly Recommneded!

5.0 out of 5 stars Now this is what live rock and roll is all about!, January 7, 2003
This review is from: Live at the Fillmore East (Audio CD)
This 2-CD set documents a set of February 1970 performances by Ten Years After at the Fillmore East auditorium in New York. Herein are two CDs of white-hot performances. This is amazing stuff! Why these performances were never released until now, I have no idea. This album probably would have been a smash hit had it been released in 1970 following Ten Years After's monumental appearance in the Woodstock film. The show-stopping "I'm Going Home" is performed here on the second CD and this 12-minute version is nearly as good as the classic Woodstock performance.
Ten Years After runs through material from their then-recent Cricklewood Green album, including such good stuff as "Love Like A Man", "Working on the Road", and "50,000 Miles Beneath My Brain". Also featured is their excellent cover of the blues classic "Good Morning Little Schoolgirl", drummer Ric Lee's showcase "The Hobbit" and the 20-minute medley "Skoobly-Oobly-Doobob/I Can't Keep From Crying Sometimes/Extension On One Chord". The second CD covers the epic rendition of Sonny Boy Williamson's "Help Me" (featuring some of Lee's most scorching guitar work), two Chuck Berry covers, "Sweet Little Sixteen" and "Roll Over Beethoven", the riff-rocking blues of "I Woke Up This Morning" and finally a cover of Willie Dixon's classic "Spoonful".
As you can probably tell, there is plenty of emphasis on PLAYING on this CD. With only three songs running less then five minutes, the group is given plenty of room to stretch out instrumentally, which they take full advantage of. Most exciting are Alvin Lee's guitar and Chick Churchill's keyboards. Bassist Leo Lyons and drummer Ric Lee aren't neglected either. Ric Lee gets "The Hobbit" mostly to himself.
In all, this is an excellent live recording, far surpassing the previous 1973 release Ten Years After Recorded Live. The band seems worn out on that album in comparison to this one. Pity that Live at the Fillmore East wasn't issued instead of Recorded Live. This CD features the band soaring through their performances with high energy, spirit and vigor. This may be one of the best live rock and roll recordings I've ever heard. If you like Alvin Lee, Ten Years After, live rock, guitar playing, blues-rock music or all of the above, this CD is a must purchase!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars 30 years after?, December 21, 2003
Andrew E. Thomson (Purcellville, Virginia United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Live at the Fillmore East (Audio CD)
My teenage son was complaining about the standard of popular music thats around these days. Stuff that he calls "Brittany gum music" I mentioned to him how nowadays pr and marketing are the two main factors in how sucessful a player is. The gauntlet thrown down, my son asked me to prove it. Racking my brains for something not as mainstream as say, Led Zep, I suddenly remembered Ten Years After and the incredible fret work of Alvin Lee. I havnt heard this band since the 70's of course and I was awed to find this remastered CD played at the Filmore. I cant believe the sound quality on this CD its phenomenal. You wont be cheated out of 18 bucks in the sound quality of this disc.
As for the quality of the music, well 30 years on its as timeless and as ripping as it was all those years ago. The only way to play this disc is as loud as you can, the same way Alivn Lee played his concerts. If you want to just rock and blue to tracks that are long and loud enough make you go to another place and time this CD is for you. Everything about this is quality.
As for my kids challenge? I think I won this one time :)

5.0 out of 5 stars The Best I Ever Saw, August 31, 2004
This review is from: Live at the Fillmore East (Audio CD)
I saw TYA in 1970 at the Paramount Northwest in Seattle and I never saw a better live band and in the late 60's and early 70's I saw a lot of bands. My favorite band at that time was the Allman Bros and a much as I like the Bros, TYA was the best live show I saw. Literally crawled out of the Paramount totally drained. My friend 'Wilfred the Hunter' and I gloated for months over our non-hacker friends who did not go because TYA was not a "big name band". The CD captures TYA live perfectly, what a trip to be able to capture a great band at their peak.

5.0 out of 5 stars And they said Clapton was God?, December 10, 2005
DaddyO "daddy-007" (Somewhere between Denver and San Francisco) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Live at the Fillmore East (Audio CD)
Everything said in these reviews is absolutely true. This is a must-have, period.

Live at the Fillmore East
Live at the Fillmore East by Ten Years After (Audio CD - 2002)