Facility Spring Cleaning Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Sixx AM Fire TV Stick Beauty Gifts Made in Italy Amazon Gift Card Offer out2 out2 out2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now May4th

on July 3, 2012
If you did not have the pleasure of seeing Robert Plant & The Band Of Joy in concert, this release is something that you'll want to see. Filmed live on February 9, 2011 at Nashville, Tennessee's War Memorial Auditorium, this concert captures a hot performance on what was a snowy, cold night.

Lead singer Robert Plant brings his 40+ years of singing experience and his new-found love for American music, plus his old repertoire, singer/guitarist Patty Griffin brings her gospel/soul/country-style vocals plus some excellent acoustic guitar rhythm, Buddy Miller brings his arsenal of string instruments, including, acoustic guitars, Wandre electric and a Teo 12-string. He's an excellent picker that lends itself to the Americana roots style of playing, but I feel that he's got a mean streak of rock inside him, which shines while he's playing. Multi-instrumentalist Darrell Scott is a real delight. He plays acoustic, electric, mandola, pedal steel and banjo, plus he's got a hell of a great voice. So full of soul. It's not what you would expect upon first seeing him. Bassist Byron House was brought in by Buddy Miller and does not disappoint. He plays both upright bass and electric four-string both with ease and adds some very tasty bass lines. Percussionist Marco Giovino fills in the blanks and adds so much, but doesn't make an attempt to take center stage.

The set list for Live From the Artists Den: Robert Plant & the Band of Joy is pretty standard for the tour, offering up some new songs, some old songs and everything in between.

Set list:

13. Gallows Pole
14. In the Mood
15. Rock and Roll
16. I Bid You Goodnight

Long gone is the golden god, flowing lion's mane, cock rock. What you will see in this release is not Led Zeppelin or anything close. It is bits and pieces of Americana, roots, country, soul and gospel goodness. Robert said in an included interview that he now prefers the intimacy of playing at smaller auditoriums and ballrooms. The music that they play requires it. This release captures the live experience so well, with full-stage shots as well as close-up views, it's as if you could have been in the audience that night.

Robert Plant has moved on to the Sensational Space Shifters, returning to a more international edge that Plant is known for, but for the brief amount of existance that the Band Of Joy performed, this release captures that time perfectly.

Live From the Artists Den: Robert Plant & the Band of Joy will be released on Blu-ray and DVD on July 10 and worldwide on July 9 through Universal Music Group International at all the online retailers, as well as your usual retail stores. I highly recommend that you reserve yourself a copy now.

Jeff Strawman
[...]
77 comments|39 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 21, 2012
I bought this on a whim... I have the CD and liked it. I've been a long time Patty Griffin fan. What I had forgotten is that BUDDY MILLER was prt of this band. And then add to the mix the stellar Darrell Scott playing his butt off of every instrument with the backing of Byron House on bass and Marco Giovino on drums and you a mix of well... PURE JOY! When I put it on, I thought I'd listen to a few cuts in the background as I did some work... Well that didn't happen. I was MESMERIZED! This is a such a good disc, yes there are a few interview bits thrown in as one reviewer says, however they honestly don't bother me. Robert appears to be genuinely joyful about being on the stage with the players he's chosen. His respect for their talent is obvious in that he showcases them in a number of places even giving them the stage for their own songs. Highly recommended for lovers of music. It does not matter if you like Zeppelin or not, these are NOT your parents Zeppelin songs... these swing AND rock. So glad I bought this and will enjoy it over and over. I sure hope this band puts out another cd. Robert?
VINE VOICEon July 9, 2012
If you are in any way like-minded to my thinking you'd say Robert Plant began an excellent "Americana Roots" influenced musical journey with Raising Sand which quite unexpectedly ramped up to a more emotively charged height with Band of Joy. In fact, I was so personally drawn to this group's music that I eagerly looked forward to their next album and tour. Well, that is not to be, apparently...But, by leaving us with an excellent concert on DVD and Blu-Ray, Plant has left us with a searing document of just how fantastic this band was. I stress this is not just Plant with a backing band, it is a real band in the truest sense as this concert unequivocally proves.

I was a bit slow to get on board as I found myself, after the initial honeymoon phase, not reaching for the Raising Sand CD very often. Then I watched the BBC's Live at Electric Proms with Robert Plant and Band of Joy. Wow! Immediately this concert became a long-term favorite right up with the likes of such stellar concert DVDs at "Concert for George", "The Last Waltz", and my boot of Brian Wilson (& his band The Wondermints) at Glastonbury Festival. I had to get the CD, which while not as quite as powerful as seeing the band live is wonderful and remains one I am drawn to. This is a case where a live concert is even better than the CD which the tour supports.

The BBC show isn't, AFAIK, available as a DVD. You can find it to burn to DVD if you know the usual places to look for this kind of stuff. That really doesn't matter very much, however, because if I had to pick one: this one is the winner by a bit more than a nose, IMHO. While they are both similar they have some important differences. The BBC show has a finale with a full choir, but pushing this concert over the top is the middle stretch where Miller, Scott, and Griffin unique talents are showcased to a point that is brilliant. That plus Plant and company's Zep reworkings, added in this part, drive it over the top. It is uniformly excellent in all categories. Keep in mind that I am saying this before the DVD or BD is out because my recording of it from the PBS broadcast is superlative and the even better sound, and likely even crisper (if that is possible) video of an official release will assuredly raise the bar - I look forward to delivery of the Blu-Ray from Amazon!

For me the knock-out unexpected centerpiece is fairly left-field. I am referring to Darrell's rendition, of all things, an old Porter Wagoner song: "A Satisfied Mind". This warrants another "Wow"! Plant is selfless in allowing this group to contribute individually as well as collectively. As mentioned Miller, Scott, and Griffin literally "tear-it-up" as they each take centerstage. Not to forget the killer rhythym section of Byron House on bass and Marco Giovino on percussion. Just listen to the fuzzed out electric bass (like on Move Up) as well as the articulate acoustic bass playing of House, it really is amazing. Giovino's understanding of how to create texture is unsurpased as he's both fleet feeted with a lot of finesse as well as very heavy (Satan, Your Kingdom Must Come Down)...Brilliant percussive work!

Well, to me any way, this is Robert Plant's real "second coming" and this DVD is all one should need to observe that. This is one concert I truly have no complaints other than I wish it was even longer!
TOP 100 REVIEWERon August 1, 2012
Before I begin my review, I want state up front that I did not come to this highly entertaining DVD from the point of a Led Zeppelin or Robert Plant fan, as many of the previous reviewers her have. In fact I don't even own one Led Zep album.

I first saw (and heard) Plant performing with Alison Krauss at the Americana Music Awards in Nashville, on the eve of their embarking on the "Raising Sand" CD and tour. It was Krauss, and the incomparable guitarist/singer/producer Buddy Miller - the music director for that evening- that brought me to see Plant. I wasn't sure what to expect (and neither was the audience at the Awards Show) but we were all drawn in.

After the Raising Sand project, Plant decided he like the "Americana" mode and used Miller to put together the Band of Joy. Nashville music stalwarts Byron House (bass) and Darrell Scott (multi-instrumentalist, but also a songwriter with a string of CDs to his credit) were brought in. Singer-songwriter Patty Griffin joined the group and subsequently married Plant in the last month. And there there was Miller holding it all together like glue.

This "concert" was staged in Nashville specifically for the Live at The Artists Den television series and - as others have pointed out - it differs some from the national tour by the group. It runs 77 minutes (to fit TV schedules) so those who saw the tour will find songs missing.

As for performance, I thought the band was in fine form and everyone got their own spotlight (not just the rock icon whose name is three times the size of the band's on the DVD cover. They work as a team with each member supporting the other.

There are a few interview segments included and then a longer (nearly 30-minute) interview with Plant as a bonus.

I'll leave it to my fellow reviewers to provide more details but just say that this is an interesting crossover concept where a British rocker gets to "Americana" and Nashville's best musicians get to rock out too!

I've never seen any of the other "Live From The Artists Den" shows but, after seeing this DVD I'm looking forward to watching more.

I hope you found this review both informative and helpful.

Steve Ramm
"Anything Phonographic"
on January 1, 2014
After seeing Planty and Co. perform live at Merlefest here in North Carolina a few years back, I just HAD to get this DVD of him and his Band Of Joy at The Artists Den. The camera-work and angles are perfectly synched to the songs throughout and nothing from start to finish is tiring or boring about this DVD. The solo spots featuring Darrell Scott, Patty Griffin and Buddy Miller are "spot on" and something that I think was very "generous" for Planty to have done with this band of talented performers and songwriters.

Highly recommended ...
on July 28, 2012
I dig this DVD; it's such a cool and classy performance from Robert Plant and the Band of Joy. The concert offers a wide variety of songs that are done in a way that you wouldn't expect, and the individual acts by Buddy Miller, Darrell Scott and Patty Griffin all add to the diversity of this show. I especially like their rendition of Robert Plant's solo work from 1993 "Down To The Sea" and "In The Mood" from 1983. I can easily say this will be one of my "Go-to" tapes when I want to watch a quality performance. "Thank you Mr. Plant for all the terrific music throughout the years!"
on October 3, 2012
I saw the Band of Joy play at the Greek Theater in L.A. about two months after this show was filmed. Very similar show and just as great. I've watched the DVD several times, and find myself wanting to watch it again and again. This seemed like a real band, in which all of the members really expressed themselves. I wish Robert Plant had kept the Band of Joy together because they were onto something really good. Overall, the feeling is very warm and positive, as this DVD illustrates.
on January 26, 2014
Like Robert Plant much but never an uber fan. However, this well recoded performance is one of the best recorded concerts I've seen/heard. The material is varied and mostly unfamiliar to me. There are influences of gospel, country, various flavors of rock and some of Plant's uniquely mystic/spooky touches.

The band is marvelous. Buddy Miller's brilliantly funky guitar tones wrung from a number of very cool instruments both color and propel. Patty Griffin has a wonderful clear yet edgy voice which she uses superbly whether singing lead or harmonizing beautifully with Plant. I confess that her restrained gyrations in a snug leather skirt add to the viewing pleasure too. And Byron House on bass- he has become a favorite for his drive, versatility, virtuosity and impeccable taste. You get everything from perfect, straight forward upright backing work to total shredding on a Fender P-bass. Daryl Scott supports on guitar, lap steel, banjo & kitchen sink.

I bought the DVD after my wife and I had seen the show on PBS several times- Whenever it came on we both just stopped in our tracks and had to watch it to the end, completely transfixed. We've probably played the DVD 5 or 6 times in the past year.
on September 16, 2014
Robert Plant was always a favorite when with Led Zeppelin. Now he is taking his career to a new level. He continues to grow musically. I saw this concert when it rolled through Wolf Trap in Vienna, VA. It IS a great concert that I can now enjoy whenever I want.
on September 9, 2012
Being a huge Zeppelin fan and hard rock and roll fan in general it actually surprised me how much I throughly enjoyed this show. I think Robert Plants voice sounds better as he sings softer now than it did in his hey day as the golden voice of Led Zeppelin. The other musicians that make up the Band of Joy are tops in their field. This is a show that I would pay good money to see them play. I am very happy that I bought this DVD so that I can enjoy this show many more times over the years to come. Music lovers of all different styles of music will be very pleased with this performance.