Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Live At Great Woods
Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer roadies roadies roadies  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors

Format: DVD|Change

on February 21, 2014
When I heard that Sony would be releasing a new, fully restored and unedited version of the Allman Brothers Band's "Live At Great Woods" DVD I was absolutely thrilled about it, but upon picking up the actual disc and putting it into my DVD player my happiness was somewhat overshadowed by my disgust that Sony messed up once again. Don't get me wrong, the performance is fantastic (what there is of it), and the production is fine by 1991 video standards as is the audio, but where is the 5.1 surround sound mix that is available on the previous edition of this DVD, and why hasn't the video been re-mastered for HD? The aspect ratio of the video is still 4.3 and not wide screene. I feel that a lot more effort could've and should've been put into the re-release of this fantastic concert document of an amazing band at the top of their post classic era game. Sony completely dropped the ball with this one on the production end of things. So in closing, I urge you not to get rid of your old copy of the Allman Brothers Band "Live At Great Woods" DVD because the differences between the old and new editions are significant enough to justify keeping both versions, and even with the uninterrupted performances on the new edition, I think that the older release is slightly superior in overall quality. And finally, the original show introduction and ending with comments by Robbie Robertson are completely missing from the new DVD. Some people may not view this last as a great loss, but since it was part of the original program it should've made it on to this new edition. Revisionist history isn't my cup of tea at all, and this re-release suffers from it greatly. For example, get a load of the fake crowd noise that has been added at the beginning of most of the songs on the new edition, and how some of the brighter lighting looks slightly better on the older DVD. After reading this review should you even bother with this new DVD edition if you own the previous one? ABSOLUTELY! It's great to finally have the uninterrupted performances back as they were origionally presented on VHS and LD, but hang on to your original DVD for the 5.1 mix, the interviews and the suttle differences in the audio and video editing. Thanks for reading this review. I hope it was both helpful and informative to you as you ponder weather or not to buy this DVD. Good luck, take care and keep rockin'!
44 comments|27 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 21, 2014
I had the VHS of this years ago and honestly forgot how incredibly smoking hot this performance is. What you have here is one of the premier American bands of the last fifty years, in perhaps the best post-1975 ABB band lineup kicking musical butt on a good night. Songs from their self-titled first album, Idlewild South, At Fillmore East, Eat A Peach, Brothers and Sisters and Shades Of Two Worlds. Here you are reminded, on grainy video, of the greatness of original members Dickey Betts, Gregg Allman, Jaimoe and Butch Trucks, joined by the late Allen Woody, Warren Haynes and Marc Quinones. Almost every song is a highlight. I first saw them in the summer of '73 after Peach and before Brothers and lastly a fantastic performance just a couple of years ago. Highly recommend it. Its not HD (not even close), it is not the ultimate in technology, but it is a fantastic musical performance. If you are a fan with a DVD player you will want this.
on February 20, 2014
The performance is fine, but beware: it's a 4:3 screen ratio with a slightly grainy picture and only a stereo mix. Still, it's nice document of one of the best Allman Brothers Band lineups that should have been released in its proper form (without cutting into songs for interviews) on DVD years ago.
on February 22, 2014
Although I could gripe and complain about the video quality and no 5.1... Those things don't matter WOW what a magnificent performance... The whole show is a highlight reel and brings yet another spectacular performance that I have come to expect from the ABB. Just an amazing live band ... Top notch musicians delivering the goods, enjoy with your favorite beverage!! Turn it up!!!!
on March 15, 2014
Just a magnificent concert with a great set list. The only negative is no surround sound, but that is offset by the great set list and energetic performance. The highlight for me was the accoustic version of Midnight Rider-- exceptional.
on December 9, 2014
ok, so the video is NOT modern HD quality, after all it IS 1991...BUT, the boys sound GREAT. Warren had just joined the band and is like a wild stallion eager to jump out of his holding pen ! Gregg is in GREAT voice, and Woody, Butch and Jaimo all are at the top of their game. But the stand out for me at least, is Dickey's playing. He was definitely peaking on this night. Played with abandon, played with passion, never missed a beat OR a note and the concert was a fantastic moment in time for the Brers...the audio mix, even by today's standards, is perfect...buy it and watch it with a good sound system.
on May 24, 2015
Really like this performance the best of 3 ABB concert DVD's I ordered. (the other two are @ Beacon). I like this lineup the best. This show feels more authentically Allman Brothers than the Beacon DVDs. Once you take Dickey Betts out of the mix it's not the same band. Love him or hate him his contribution to the song writing and to the sound are unmistakable. Warren Haynes plays with a fresh young energy on this DVD. Great show and DVD, you can go wrong ordering this one.
This is a spectaclar concert with the band in fine form. I had this on VHS years ago. I had hoped the audio would have been better and include a 5.1 mix however it does not, in fact it is only 48 kHz.
The picture is greatly improved compared to the VHS version with the stage view far superior and a lot sharper.
What impresses me with this concert is how well Dicky Betts plays, the guys loving being there and is on the top of his game. This is at a time when the band had re-emerged in the late 1980s with a lot of enthusiasm and a lot of new songs.
The song selection is also well thought out with old and new songs all played brilliantly.
Its just a real shame they didn't improve the audio on this, another reviewer commented the lack of bass, I must agree the bass is not blasting through my JBL speaker system as I was hoping.

Great concert, a good document of the band in peak form in 1991.
on February 26, 2016
This is a great show. If you are a ABB fan you will not be disappointed. Greg Allman, Dickey Betts and Warren Haynes are in great form, as are the others. It's from 1991, so they will never be that 'young' again. I never get tired of watching this one.
on March 31, 2014
I play guitar but am really not a musician so I cannot explain why I miss the pairing of Duane and Dicky so much, I can't put it into words. Duane brought me to tears, and my cell phone greeting is an acoustic rendition of the opening phrase of "Blue Sky". This is an admirable performance and Warren Haynes carries the load, but Dicky is in command. I've watched this about 10 times already, but I still find myself dreaming that it was March 12 &13, 1971 and that this was a DVD of "at Fillmore East". So dream on because it isn't but it damn sure is the next best thing.