5.0 out of 5 stars Sidewalk Prophets does it again!
Published on March 27, 2012 by K. Schermerhorn

3.0 out of 5 stars Three Stars
Average
Published 16 days ago by BrianV388

5.0 out of 5 stars Sidewalk Prophets does it again!, March 27, 2012
This review is from: Live Like That (Audio CD)
"Live Like That" is a phenomenal release from Sidewalk Prophets, and is a great follow up to they're largely successful "These Simple Truths". The sound in "Live Like That" has changed a bit. It is more laid back, and lacks some of the driving melodies that I loved so much in "These Simply Truths". That being said, while this album offers something completely different, it is just as good as the debut.

Live Like That - 4/5 - A great opening track, while not nearly as good as the opener of These Simple Truths (Just might change your life).

Love, Love, Love - 1/5 - May just be personal preference, but I cannot stand this song.

Save My Life - 5/5 - One of many standouts. A beautiful power ballad that earns it's spot as one of the best songs on the album.

Keep Making Me - 5/5 - Another beautiful (and incredibly catchy!) power ballad, and another one that earns it's spot as one of the best on the album.

It's Good (Love's not safe) - 5/5 - This is much different than anything else I've heard from Sidewalk Prophets, and I LOVE it! A beautiful song, and again, easily one of the best on the album!

Help me find it - 4.5/5 - A beautifully written song and another early favorite.

Hearts on Fire - 5/5 - An incredibly catchy ballad, beautifully written, and again, one of the best on the album.

Wrecking Ball - 5/5 - Love this song! A great song that has a rock edge to it, along with a soaring chorus! What a great song!

Nothing's gonna stop us - 2.5/5 - This song just comes off as obnoxious and feels unnecessary after an amazing rocker like "Wrecking Ball".

For you tonight - 2.5/5 - This is not a bad song, BUT it sounds like such a copy right off a MercyMe album , this is easily one of my least favorites off the album.

This is not goodbye - 4.5/5- A beautiful ballad, and a perfect closing track to an amazing album!

5.0 out of 5 stars Sidewalk Prophets [Live Like That], March 26, 2012
This review is from: Live Like That (MP3 Music)
Sidewalk Prophets initially made a name for themselves at Indiana's Anderson University where front men and main songwriters Dave Frey and Ben McDonald met. Integrating worship with real life - that is one of the simple truths Sidewalk Prophets has learned to live by. Dave Frey explains: "The name `Sidewalk Prophets' even means that we are common people speaking the truth about life from our perspective as followers of Christ." They have made an impressive debut on the CCM scene, winning New Artist of the Year in 2010, and garnering multiple Dove Award nominations for Group and Song of the Year. Their debut album These Simple Truths delivered the smash No. 1 singles "You Love Me Anyway" and "The Words I Would Say."

Their sophomore album Live Like That releases March 27, 2012 and their lead single and title track is already a hit song and plays a strong part in the overall messaging from the band. With the help of their fans, the album cover encompasses the faces and hearts of people all over the country who have inspired someone to "live like that." After a brief instrumental intro entitled "Hebrews 12:1," the piano-based ballad, "Live Like That" opens this very solid album with one of the best songs of the year. If you liked their debut album, you'll want to pick up this album immediately as it picks up where These Simple Truths left off and takes it up a notch musically. Although there were some tendencies towards a pop country sound like Rascal Flatts on the first album, this album has more of a rock worship sound like MercyMe and Newsboys. Not bad company. "Live Like That" sums up the theme of this great band's mission which is to reflect Christ in their songs and actions and is a wonderful worship anthem with some Brit-rock guitar work layered throughout, flawlessly produced by Dove Award winning producer Ian Eskelin. "Love Love Love" displays the fun side of this band well as the song features relatable and somewhat unorthodox lyrical references to Love: "it even broke through the dark side of Darth Vader" and "even Chuck Norris can't defeat it."

Biblical Truth is woven throughout the remaining standout songs, "Save My Life," "Keep Making Me," "It's Good (Love's Not Safe)," "Wrecking Ball" and closing ballad "This Is Not Goodbye." All of these great songs are radio-friendly and potential hits for this great band and are sprinkled throughout the album creating a very enjoyable listening experience. "Keep Making Me" is a piano based ballad in the style of "You Can Have Me" and is my favorite track on the album. The song features Dave's personal, vertical and honest lyrics being lifted up as a prayer opening with "make me broken, so I can be healed, `cause I'm so calloused, and now I can't feel, I want to run to You, with heart wide open, make me broken." The stirring chorus has already become a staple in my time of personal devotions to God--"'til You are my One desire, `til You are my One true Love, `til You are my breath, my Everything, Lord please keep making me." Amen to that! "It's Good (Love's Not Safe)" seems to be inspired by The Chronicles of Narnia by C.S. Lewis depicting Aslan (God) in the song as described in the book and movie--"He's not safe, but He's good." "Wrecking Ball" is a great upbeat rocker in the style of "Just Might Change Your Life" featuring more vulnerable and personal lyrics, "Father, Father, I need to rip out this old tree, Father, Father, the roots of lust and greed, have grown so deep into this ground, I've tried so hard to pull them out, on my own, they take the best of me...I need a wrecking ball slamming inside my heart, breaking me all apart...take it all..let me fall into Your hands..where mercy lives, where grace begins." Amen! Closing ballad "This Is Not Goodbye" is a love letter from God encouraging listeners that "this is not goodbye, I know we'll meet again, so let your life begin...it's just I love you, to take with you until you're home again." As believers we need to remember that this world is not our home. Like the Grammy Award winning "Blessings" by Laura Story, this song beautifully depicts that we weren't made for this world, but during our short life spans, God has a plan for each of us "until we're home again." The song is a great bookend to the opener "Live Like That" and the album is loaded with that type of profound Truth.

CLOSING THOUGHTS (Staff Review, NewReleaseTuesday.com)
Just like their debut album These Simple Truths delivered the smash No. 1 singles "You Love Me Anyway" and "The Words I Would Say," I expect similar results for Sidewalk Prophets' sophomore album Live Like That. The album is chock full of potential radio singles and every song is completely captivating. The surefire hit songs are "Live Like That," "Save My Life," "Keep Making Me," "It's Good (Love's Not Safe)," "Wrecking Ball" and closing ballad "This Is Not Goodbye." Dave Frey says, "This album is a reflection of our journey in music and our desire to live our lives in such a way that it is rooted in a deep passion and love that knows no bounds." The message of committing to extravagant selflessness and faithful optimism threads its way through every song and Live Like That is on par with the excellent The Generous Mr. Lovewell by MercyMe, both in music and message.

5.0 out of 5 stars LOVE IT!!!!!!!, July 12, 2012
This review is from: Live Like That (Audio CD)
This is such a great CD but I'm a huge sidewalk prophets fan. But anyway this is a truely great cd. They have so many great songs. My favorite song of course is live like that because its what I desire for my life to be like as a disciple of Christ. But anyway if you love the song live like that you should definately invest in this cd. They have so many great other songs as well.

Something I would definately recommend though as something to do before you buy any cd. Go to youtube and listen to each song on the cd and make sure that you would enjoy listening to the majority of the songs so you aren't buying a cd for just one or two songs.

Something else as a little side note if you really enjoy sidewalk prophets music do your best to see them live. Seeing them live makes me love their music even more because you can tell that each member of the band loves what they do and they love Jesus more than life and they are so passionate about playing music for Christ. Especially their lead singer Dave I went to a faith, family, and freedom concert and Dave is so passionate about Christ and singing for Christ and he got the whole crowd into helping him sing some of the songs and he read some amazing scripture and sang while holding the bible and it was just such an awesome experience. You can tell that they truely love the Lord with all that they are and God has truely blessed them.

5.0 out of 5 stars Another Spectacular Album, June 14, 2012
This review is from: Live Like That (MP3 Music)
Sidewalk Prophets are one band who lives out the scripture in Hebrews 13:8, "Jesus Christ the same yesterday, and to day, and for ever." No strangers to the Christian music industry and claiming new artist of the year at the Dove awards in 2010, they continue to touch lives. This group of musical epistles released their latest album "Live Like That" the latter part of March 2012. Birthing a new generation of listeners and stirring the hearts again of those already humbled by previous encounters of the third kind (spiritually speaking).

The relevance and maturity that the lyrics bring together by these gentleman, combined with the love they have for God and people creates a supernatural energy right into the lives of those who hear it. "Live Like That", was created to motivate us to become people that others want to live like. A disposition in us created by the spirit of God for others to see and desire to emulate.

I was blessed with an opportunity to interview Dave, Cal, Shaun, Ben and Justin in Atlanta of 2011. It was a surreal moment for me because even though I get to talk to several people who have ministered to me, these guys really touch my heart through their music. I can relate so deeply to the messages in their songs. Did I mention the fact that they are extremely fun loving and just truly down to earth humble guys? One of the highlights of my writing career, not because of who they were but because of how much the love of God shined through them that I had already heard in their music.

They spoke briefly about working on the new CD in the future. Dave mentioned they were not changing direction that they still planned to "Demonstrate the gospel of Christ through song in a message that people can relate to as regular people". That pretty much sums up "Live Like That", except for the fact that Sidewalk Prophets are not just regular people. They are a rare breed that exemplify Jesus in spirit and in truth staying humble while producing flawless inspirational and challenging lyrics to bring us to a closer walk with God.

This five-man band has a way of creating a personal experience into a song and building it to anticipation, then relating that same experience from the perspective of a Christ centered relationship. It's like each song is a movie and right at the perfect moment in that scene that has you on the edge of your seat, it happens. You know what I am talking about! It's that thing that has you overwhelmed with happiness, excitement or has you brushing away the tears, don't fight it! God wants us to stay sensitive. Remember He is close to those who have a broken and contrite spirit (Psalm 34:18). That is one of the reasons I recommend this album.

The album starts off with a symphonic prelude to Hebrews 12:1, which is what generated the creation of the production, according to Dave. "We have this cloud of witnesses around us and perseverance is important and it takes integrity to like that, to live like Christ."

The first release off the album obviously matches the title and can be found on track two, or currently playing every hour on just about every Christian radio station. It does hold a different meaning to each of the members, yet demonstrates the desire each of them have to live a life selfless. Whether it is for someone else near to them that looks up to them, or someone that has influenced them that they want to live like. Living an unselfish life as Christ did no matter what the purpose is a goal we should all have.

"Love, Love, Love", is an upbeat message about how you can see love in the things we do and how it comes back to us when we give it out. It calls us to love others as Christ loved us nailing His love to the cross. It is a celebratory song of appreciation.

One of my favorite songs on the CD is "Save My Life". We often go about our day to day lives not asking God to give us a word of wisdom or knowledge or encouragement to speak to another. God can use all of us to say something right at that specific moment to change a person's life, but we have to be sensitive to hear it and speak it. Truly a plea for us to be attentive to the needs of others and the spirit of God to speak through us.

One of the most humbling songs on the album is "Keep Making Me". With lyrics that come from a heart that truly desires to be surrendered to God. "Make me lonely so I can be yours, until I want no one more than you Lord; cause in the darkness I know you will hold me. Make me lonely. Until you are my one desire, until you are my one true love. Until you are my breath my everything, Lord please keep making me."

"It's Good, Love's Not Easy", is my favorite song on this album. It's such a true heartfelt and learned message. It's not one for the person who believes that all is candy and roses when you accept Christ as your Lord and Savoir. It's truth, and it's proven. Lyrically and melodically this song is brilliant and moving and validates the powerful relationship experienced when someone truly understands and has grown through a submissive adoration of Christ. "Anything good in life is gonna take a sacrifice, don't let up when it gets tough, don't ever give up the fight. Everything you need in life was given by His sacrifice, I will give it all to you, I will give it all to Christ. He's not safe at all. He might let you fall. He's not easy, but He's good. He will take your time. He might feel unkind. He will break you, but He's good."

Many people find themselves struggling as Christians trying to find the right direction to go and what the purpose is that God has for them in their lives. "Help Me Find It", resonates this emotion and brews sincerity to a place of emptiness for complete direction from the throne of grace. "Heart's On Fire" follows the same sentiment, from a perspective of someone who is full of a desire to be ever closer to God.

From a different direction, "Wrecking Ball" is a plea from someone struggling to separate themselves from the fleshly desires that we all battle against. I can see into the future that this will probably be a favorite at live performances. It is filled with intent emotion and simply put, brings the house down with a slight bit of a rockier twist.

"Nothing's Gonna Stop Us" and "For You Tonight" continue to deliver messages of encouragement and hope as the album comes to end with the delivery of "This Is Not Goodbye". This is probably one of the most touching songs I have ever heard in my life. It is relevant to so many different situations and I can see it touching the lives of so many people. Dave delivers a brilliant vocal on this song with the help of his ingenious musicians and producer Ian Eskelin. I believe that it is a great bow on this lovely gift that they have given all of us out here in the world to unwrap and treasure.

Sidewalk Prophets are examples of living epistles carrying about the love of God to others through musical messages and video devotionals. They encourage thousands upon thousands of people in all age groups. For those who have had the opportunity to enjoy "Live Like That", I would be curious to know if you picked a favorite. If you have not taken advantage of the artistic gift these men humbly created for you, don't wait another second to take pleasure in what awaits you in that little case. It may just save your life, or give you the courage to make a difference in someone else's.

5.0 out of 5 stars Prophets, July 3, 2012
This review is from: Live Like That (Audio CD)
Prophets fans will like this one. Extention of past stuff. Would highly recommend u won' b disappointed with this new stuff

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, June 27, 2014
great Band!

5.0 out of 5 stars Gift for my Daughter, June 27, 2014
This review is from: Live Like That (Audio CD)
I really like this CD. It was a gift for my daughter for Christmas but I was so pleased, that I got one for myself. Not disappointed at all.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Album!, June 17, 2014
This review is from: Live Like That (Audio CD)
If you like contemporary Christian Music with meaningful and inspiring lyrics, purchase this album.

Favorite Tracks
Save My Life
Help Me Find It

4.0 out of 5 stars My world is now complete., May 12, 2014
This review is from: Live Like That (Audio CD)
I thought I already submitted a feed back for this purchase.to restate : I was very pleased with this purchase and the delivery time.Thank you.

5.0 out of 5 stars another great one!, April 26, 2014
This review is from: Live Like That (MP3 Music)
Excellent album. They just get it right every time. Very talentented group of guys, and their love for Christ shines through as always.

Live Like That
Live Like That by Sidewalk Prophets (Audio CD - 2012)