Live Wire (Myron Bolitar)
Format: PaperbackChange
Price:$9.30 + Free shipping with Amazon Prime

Format: Hardcover
This story involves a rock and roll duo, one of whom is Myron's client and the other of whom is a recluse who hides out at his permanent offshore Massachusetts' island estate. Something is going on with this duo and Myron needs to find out what as his brother's family is caught up in it plus his tennis star client Suzze is married to one of the duo. Things started going wrong for this duo sixteen years ago when a high schooler killed herself by jumping out of a window after having sex with the lead singer. The duo still release records but they are all recorded at the island retreat. They stopped touring at the time of the suicide. The lead singer never appears in public. All they do is release records--enormously popular records. Naturally Myron and Win want to meet this recluse so as to find out why people involved with this duo are dying and/or are under fire.

There is a major introduction of a new character in this book and that is Myron's high schooler nephew Mickey. We are told at the end of the book that when we next pick up on Myron's story, Mickey will be a major character and the books will be aimed at garnering a more youthful market. Mickey is very talented at basketball, as talented as his uncle, so expect that aspect of the story to reignite as well. I am willing to give the next story a try knowing that this is where we will be going with the story. Mickey and Myron will be living together.

I read this in a day. It was very enjoyable as are all of the Myron and Win books. I recommend it.

I will once again say that I don't know why readers here are taking down the stars on their reviews because they don't like the price of putting it on their kindles. This throws the rest of us off when we see three stars next to the book as its overall rating and then discover all the one and two star reviews relate to the price of the book for the Kindle. Readers here are reading this book in a variety of formats and want to know how we consumer reviewers liked the reading matter itself. If we don't own a Kindle (and many of us do not), that is not germane to our decision.

I read this book on an iPad using the iBooks app (adobe's epub format) and it was a great reading experience using that app on the iPad, as usual.

Visit my blog with link given on my profile page here or use this phonetically given URL (livingasseniors dot blogspot dot com). Friday's entry will always be weekend entertainment recs from my 5 star Amazon reviews in film, tv, books and music. These are very heavy on buried treasures and hidden gems. My blogspot is published on Monday, Wednesday & Friday.
1212 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on March 30, 2011
Format: Kindle EditionVerified Purchase
I am a huge Harlan Coben fan - I've read all of his books and have for the most part LOVED them. They can catch you right from the first page and you're off and running, turning each page until all hours of the night just to find out what happens. They're addictive. And I have greatly loved the Myron Bolitar books. But this was one left me a bit disappointed. I wanted to love it, but couldn't. It had some witty humor and the writing was fine, but I can't say that I cared much for the ending - or maybe it was more the epilogue that I didn't like. I don't want to spoil it for you, but it's not clear to me if Coben will continue the Myron books or not. It felt like he got to the end of the book, ran out of time/ideas and wrapped everything up in a couple of sentences. I felt a little cheated perhaps. But, having said that, I must also admit I would be sad to see the series end.
1212 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on March 24, 2011
Format: Kindle EditionVerified Purchase
I stumbled across CAUGHT last Summer and spent the rest of the season reading all of Coben's books in order. Readers of the series can understand what a joy it is to curl up on the couch with old friends: Win, Esperanza, Big Cyndi, the Ache Brothers, and Myron's parents El-Al.

Some of Bolitar's early clients reappear, as well: teen tennis stars Suzze T and Kitty (also Myron's sister-in-law). Suzze needs Myron to locate her missing husband Lex, second fiddle of the rock duo Horsepower. Myron's almost pitiable need to make things right leads him on an odyssey to find his estranged brother. Along the way, buried truths are exposed putting all the characters into mortal danger.

Myron fans will find LIVE WIRE irresistible at any price. Could this be the last in the series?
on March 24, 2011
Format: Hardcover
I'm not writing this to give the story away... it's a very good mystery/suspense novel and Coben once again proves that he is in fact the best mystery/suspense author out there. If you are a fan of his stand alone books you will like this novel. If you've read every Myron Bolitar book out there, you will love it. I did.

While it's a suspenseful novel (and a good one at that), it truly explores the personal relationships that affect Myron's life. His relationship with Win is so heartfelt and the characters are so rich and complex. They may be best friends, but they are brothers in spirit. Esperanza and Big Cyndi play a much bigger part in this novel also and the dynamic between Myron, Win, Esperanza and Big Cyndi make this book impossible to put down. Myron's parents play an integral part and his description of his father and their relationship is amazing. The way in which Myron ties the plot together and the twists and turns that ensue until the end keep you glued.

And then you get to the end...and the end of the book changes everything - Myron's personal life and every single personal relationship that Myron has, is forever changed. And because of that, I was moved so deeply that I cried (and cried, soo hard!) - because I feel like I know these characters intimately and the changes in their lives impact everything. I am now somewhat scared, yet hopefully optimistic, as to what the future holds for these incredible characters and am eagerly awaiting the next chapter of Myron and Win's life!!
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on May 19, 2011
Format: Hardcover
LIVE WIRE by Harlan Coben is the tenth book in his Myron Bolitar series.

A few years ago I went to a Harlan Coben event in St. Joseph, Michigan. At that time he mentioned that he was considering ending this series. I spoke out from the audience to say, please don't. He's written two Myron Bolitar (with his indispensable friend Win) novels since then, so I guess he was listening.

But is this the last in the series?

As a former basketball great and now co-owner of an agency that represents sports and entertainment personalities, Myron is visited by a client, Suzze, former tennis star. She wants Myron to find her husband, Lex, rock star and also Myron's client. Lex ran out on Suzze, pregnant and all, when he saw an anonymous post on Suzze's Facebook page: "NOT HIS."

Right off the bat this book disappoints. Who would take seriously an anonymous post on the Internet? Everyone knows that anyone can say anything on the Internet.

But if you just go with it and not think about that, LIVE WIRE does have Coben's typical plot and subplot, twists and turns, and Win. So Myron Bolitar fans can count on that even if the book doesn't quite measure up to Coben's others.

Myron, who can't help but become involved in his clients' lives, finds Lex in a nightclub and, coincidentally, also finds his long-lost sister-in-law, Kitty. Or is it a coincidence?

Kitty, another former tennis star, is now a mess. She's a heroin junkie so far gone she'll do anything, I mean ANYTHING, to get a fix. And she's at this nightclub without Myron's (also long-lost) brother, Brad. Where is he?

Myron's father wants him to find out. One thing we love about Myron Bolitar is that he loves his parents. So Myron, in spite of great danger, finds out. After all, he has Win.

While Myron looks for Brad, Myron finds his 15-year-old nephew, Mickey. And, wouldn't you know it, Mickey is tall like Myron and a basketball player.

Does this introduction to Mickey signal the end of the Myron series? Is Myron now retiring? Clues seem to indicate that.

I love Myron, and I love that he's getting older just like me. But could his age be reason to retire him?

Lots of readers have loved this series, and I think they should read this. It's not Coben's best, but they'll want to know what happening with Myron. I think they, like me, will not be happy that Myron might be banished to the sidelines in favor of a teenager.
on March 23, 2011
Format: HardcoverVerified Purchase
Myron is trying to help a client, former tennis star Suzze T whose husband, a rocker, has taken off on her after someone posted two words on her Facebook page that touched off an entire series of altercations typical for Myron and Win. At this point we find out that Myron has a long lost brother after he sees his sister-in-law in the club where he tracked down Lex, the rocker, and things unravel from there. As Myron searches for his brother issues from the past resurface and the Ache brothers come back into play.

On the down side, I am not a fan of long lost siblings who suddenly appear out of the blue, especially after ten Myron Bolitar books. Also, this book got off to a bit of a slow start and there was an air of finality to the ending so we may not be seeing much more of Myron and Win. My problems with the book were not that major but compared to the rest of Harlan Coben's books like Caught this novel fell short. To me, it just felt forced and a way to wrap up a series that, up until now had popped and sizzled and this one steams. But, for Coben fans this is still a must read and it still kept me up late into the night.
Format: Hardcover
We first met Myron Bolitar back in 1995 in the book Deal Breaker. He was an athlete knocked out of the game by an injury right before his first professional start so he became a Sports Agent to keep him in the game if only from the sidelines. But he was more than an agent, he was a friend, a confidant, a problem solver, and a guy with an enormous heart that to protect his clients he also eventually becomes a private eye.

With the help of his friends, Windsor Horne Lockwood III (Win), and two gals who were a former tag team with the Fabulous Ladies Of Wrestling (FLOW), MB Reps has grown into a firm that not only handles athletes, but authors, actors, artists, and musicians.

In this book we learn more about Myron's family and his past as he is forced to deal with some family issues. He is also trying to help former tennis star Suzze T (Trevantino) and rock star husband Lex get to the bottom of a paternity issue being posed about their unborn child on a Facebook page. Myron also learns that his family issues and these baby issues are intertwined in a way that leads him down a very dangerous path as he tries to find the truth that has been hidden for more than 15 years.

I LOVED IT!!!!! I LOVED IT!!!!! I LOVED IT!!!!!

If you have read the previous 9 Myron Bolitar novels and you think you know Myron Bolitar you will realize early into this book that you didn't know him at all.

Harlan Coben is by far the best author ever of the suspense thriller. He grabs you from the first word and like the title of one of his previous novels HOLD(s on) TIGHT until the very last word and leaves you wanting more. The difference between this novel and others in this series is than we learn more about Myron Bolitar than we ever have before and Coben ties it into the latest mystery brilliantly. What starts out as a simple question of who posted the anonymous Facebook comment builds into the thriller Coben is famous for, and brings to light the things Bolitar has kept hidden or to himself in the other books.

This is definitely a book you will want to read in one sitting, so plan accordingly and be prepared for a few surprises. This book proves than even Harlan Coben still has plenty up his sleeve to thrill and entertain us. Coben himself is the LIVE WIRE!!!

Disclosure of Material Connection: I received this book free from the Dutton, A Division of the Penguin Group. I was not required to write a positive review. The opinions I have expressed are my own. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission's 16 CFR, Part 255 : "Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising."
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on April 10, 2011
Format: Hardcover
Unfortunately, I doubt I will ever be able to forget what Coben did to his characters. This is a horrible book in every way. Has the author written these characters for so long that he now hates them? He certainly doesn't wish them well. I imagine it can get tiresome when fans demand more books in a series if the writer is tired of them. It's as if Coben says: Here's more Myron & Co. but I'll make sure to ruin everything for each one of them until you won't be asking for more. The philosophy of this book seems to be Life Sucks And Then It Sucks More Than Usual. I will never forgive him for damaging Win and Myron's relationship. Never. And Suzze's senseless death? That just made me sicker. By the end of the book I just felt hollowed out by the viciousness of the author toward beloved characters.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on April 8, 2011
Format: Kindle Edition
I have to start off by saying that I purchased a hard copy of the book elsewhere at a deep discount. But I was happy to become reacquainted with the familiar characters I've come to love in the Myron Bolitar series. Many elements of the plot and Harlen Coben's terrific writing style made this a story worth reading. However, "Live Wire" left me feeling cheated. The addition of the Brad/Kitty/Mickey storyline seemed tacked on, since there was virtually no previous reference to these characters anywhere in this lengthy series. I agree with some of the other reviewers that I was left with the feeling that perhaps we've come to the end of the road but Harlen Coben didn't do a good job of wrapping it up. The primary plot was a contorted maze that didn't always make sense and ended too neatly and abruptly. The subplots of Win's departure, Al & Ellen's aging and Esperanza's family issues seemed contrived reasons for the core characters to go their separate ways. Big Cyndi was reduced to a cartoonish joke.

If it's a case of tying off a thread that the author himself had tired of, then he did a poor job of it. If the series does continue, he'll have to make it up to me by releasing a sequel so good that it makes "Live Wire" seem like a bad dream.

As far as the issue of people rating the book poorly because of the pricing, mea culpa. I've come to see that it really isn't fair to the people who want an honest assessment of the work by a fellow reader. I also have my problems with Amazon's pricing but let's start a separate forum for that. Besides, the best way to object to the pricing is to simply not buy what they're selling.
Format: Hardcover
Best-selling writer Harlan Coben, author of close to two dozen superb, exciting, well-written crime novels, wrote two such books in 2011. This one is for his usual readers staring Myron Bolitar and featuring his zany friends: Big Cynti, the grossly overweight ever-helpful ex-wrestler with zany makeup; Esperanza, the beautiful sometime lesbian expert with computers, who is Myron's partner; and, of course Wyn, his devoted friend, multi millionaire, with a frightening ability to hurt people, which he enjoys, who has two oriental girlfriends Yu and Mee. The second novel called Shelter, which should be read after this one, is focused toward young readers, Coben's first such novel, which can be enjoyed by adults.

The two books describe different incidences that occur at about the same time. This mystery is called Live Wire because this is the name of a musical band that plays a major part in this tale. Six foot four ex-basketball player Myron is an agent for entertainment people but he frequently stumbles upon situations where people need help and like a sensitive white knight he rides in to help despite the threat of personal danger. Myron's younger brother Brad who he loves dearly goes missing. Myron hasn't seen him for about fifteen years. The two very close siblings got into a fight about Kitty whom Brad was determined to and did marry. Where was Brad? Was he still alive? Why does Kitty refuse to tell him where Bad is?

Kitty has become a drug addict. Myron sees a tape showing her committing degrading sex to obtain drugs. She is scared of something and runs. She and Brad have a son Mickey Bolivar, the hero of Shelter. Although Mickey is only fifteen years old, he is also six foot four, confronts his uncle Myron, and insists that Myron leave him and his mother alone. What is he hiding? Can't he realize that his mother needs help? Can't he understand that he can't handle all the problems he is facing by himself?

Myron's client, ex-tennis star, and wife of one member of Live Wire is eight months pregnant. She receives a message on her facebook page that her baby is "Not His," meaning not her husband's. The message is signed with an unusual word and there is a strange symbol next to it. She insists that the child is her husband's. Her husband sees the posting and disappears. What does the name and symbol signify? What's going on with her husband?

Myron soon realizes that the current events are tied to the apparent murder of a girl by Gabriel Wire, the band lead singer, about a dozen years ago. Soon there are many thrilling events traveling at car chase speed, including other deaths and Myron being attacked and Win taking brutal revenge. Readers will enjoy the book.