5.0 out of 5 stars one of my favorite albums
Published on November 13, 2001 by David Benditt

1.0 out of 5 stars The #1 reason we should all own a turntable
Published on February 24, 2005 by Garbageman

1.0 out of 5 stars The #1 reason we should all own a turntable, February 24, 2005
Garbageman (the other side of California) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Live Rust (Audio CD)
Imagine, if you will, that Capitol Records chose years ago to put out the Beatles' "White Album" on compact disk when the format was in its infancy, and for whatever reason decided not to invest the funds to put out a double CD, instead choosing to cram the entire thing onto one CD, and advertising it as a "specially low-priced single disk." But in doing so, they found that the whole thing wouldn't fit onto a standard disk, so they hacked about a minute or so out of "Revolution #9" (thinking nobody would notice), eliminated or shortened the silence between songs (if any), and nickel-and-diming the album until it fit just under the time limitations of a single disk. Then pretend that Beatles fans were too blinded by their fanaticism for the album to objectively criticize, let alone realize, the absolute horror of this corporate hatchet job. If this fictitious story sounds too weird for you, then now you know how I feel seeing five-star review after review here, when Warner-Reprise has performed the ultimate sin right under all our noses.

I only recently started amassing a CD collection of Neil, preferring to stick to the vinyl. I figured there will eventually be a remaster job of these albums, although with Neil you never know, and I could wait until then. But I broke down and went ahead and bought "Live Rust" on CD, which is one of my absolute top 10 favorite albums of all time. Knowing the guitar majesty of "Cortez the Killer" on this album better than I know my own date of birth, and having heard it countless times note-for-note, I immediately fast-forwarded to that track and waited for my world to be sonically blown to bits by the digital clarity of the CD, which happened indeed. For about four minutes.

And then I stopped cold. I stared out the window. I was frozen, playing air guitar to notes that were no longer coming out of the speaker, singing guitar parts in my head that weren't happening. "Am I getting that progressed into Alzheimer's already?" I thought, or is this some sort of a defective joke? Well, my Neil fan faithful, I'm here to tell you: the actual track of "Cortez" is approximately a minute and a half shorter than not only the vinyl version, but a minute and a half shorter than THE TIME GUARANTEED TO ME ON THE CD INSERT by good ol' Warner-Reprise. And where did this extra 90 seconds come from? well, it was right there in the LEAD GUITAR parts of the song, right prior to the "hate was just a legend" lyric. They have AXED a huge section of Neil's guitar lead, digitized it out to save space, and done God-knows-what to the rest of the album to give us a low, low price.

I frantically fast-forwarded the track to the end and compared the ending times on my CD player to the one on the CD cover. I was right. And I was disgusted. Then I started REALLY losing it: who was responsible for this? And why in the living name of God could any self-respecting Neil fan put up with the absolute desecration of one of the greatest recorded versions of one of his most jaw-droppingly gnarly songs?

I for one took the CD back. It took me a while to explain to the clerk why, but he chalked it up to a bad mistake on WB's part. Personally, I think their strange urgency in reissuing four of his least-selling albums "remastered with the original cover art" on CD is unusually nice, but I would much rather have a full-blown remastered version of "Live Rust" than anything else in his catalog. Especially now that I know about this hatchet job that sits on the shelf indefinitely, with no plans to improve on it. And Reprise, while you're at the task of putting that 90 seconds of guitar bliss back into "Cortez" that you so thoughtfully took out, go ahead and put out some other songs from that tour that weren't on the original CD to restore my faith in corporate America, because this is more of a disgrace than Watergate, "read my lips", and Monica's dress put together. Get the President on the horn.

5.0 out of 5 stars one of my favorite albums, November 13, 2001
David Benditt (Kansas City, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Live Rust (Audio CD)
I am 30, and bought the vinyl, Live Rust, when I was 14 at a used record store. It was cheap, so I took a chance. I still vividly remember listening to the first side of album one, the acoustic stuff - After the Gold Rush, I am a child, etc - in my parents' den. I was blown away by the beauty and expressiveness of Neil's songwriting, and am to this day. In particular, Sugar Mountain takes me back to the times I went to Six Flags as a kid, and thought being on those rides and staying up til midnight was the best life could ever get.
In addition to the mellow songs, there are some louder, electric ones that are incredible as well, with Cinnamon Girl and Like a Hurricane being good examples. This album definitely has the 'live' thing going for it, and when you hear these cuts you won't settle for the studio versions anymore - it's cool to hear Neil connect with the audience - "When I get big, I'm gonna get an electric guitar. When I get real big".
I kid you not - there is not a dud on the album. It is just incredible, and capable of providing pleasure worth orders of magnitude more than its price. I actually am typing this review because I would love to think someone bought this album as a result of it and enjoyed it as much as I have over the years (in CD format now, of course!)

3.0 out of 5 stars Consider the DVD, February 26, 2007
This review is from: Live Rust (Audio CD)
After reading Garbageman's review, where he points out the butchering of "Cortez", I decided instead to pick up the DVD "Rust never sleeps". It is the same concert (Oct 22, 1978), and as I write this, costs exactly the same as this CD. It includes the complete Cortez, a few extra songs (Thrasher, Welfare Mothers, Tonight's The Night), and of course, visuals (which are sometimes tacky, it must be said). The audio of course uses a lossy codec, but I find it excellent -- with a 5.1 system it will probably be superior to the CD. And if you want the CD anyway, it is "fair use" in most countries to rip the audio and burn a CD for your own private use.

I haven't heard the CD: I give it 3 stars because Amazon requires some sort of rating, the DVD gets 5 stars, and the truncated Cortez would be sufficient to take away two stars for me.

3.0 out of 5 stars Cortez not the only edit, December 28, 2007
This review is from: Live Rust (Audio CD)
After reading Garbageman's review, I have to concur: "Live Rust" is a corporate hack job. Not only is "Cortez the Killer" edited, so is the version of "Hey Hey My My (Into the Black)", at first I thought I was hearing things, but no, I also have the vinyl, and the song is full length on that. The irritating thing about this is that when Reprise marketed this CD, 74 minutes was the most a disc could theoretically hold. Since this disc runs 74:31, and they now run 80 minutes or more, (and have since the mid-90s), why wasn't this remastered with the intact songs YEARS AGO??? I have been waiting over ten years for a newly mastered CD of what I previously thought was the single-greatest live concert recording ever, Bar None. I guess I'll die before they decide to do this disc over. Neil, are you listening?

5.0 out of 5 stars I'd never say that one album I have is the best, but..., April 15, 2000
This review is from: Live Rust (Audio CD)
I'd never say that one album I own is the best, but I can certainly say that I have never heard better than "Live Rust."
I remember sitting in a friend's home in 1979. He pulled out two new albums. One was "Rust Never Sleeps." (The other one was Dylan's "Slow Train.") I remember thinking that it was some of the greatest music I had ever heard. Funny thing is, babies who were born on that day in 1979 are now ((can you believe it?)) 21 years old. And I'm still thinking the same thing about this music. To me, "Live Rust" (along with "Rust Never Sleeps") is like the ultimate rock experience. In the first set, you hear the vibrancy of Young's acoustic guitar, harmonica, and vocals in the live setting. (Not to mention how the lyrics speak right to you, make you stop and think/consider/wonder.) Then, the second set adds Crazy Horse and you get the hard rocking, god-father-of-grunge experience.
The thing that really grabbed me all those years ago was how the song(s) "My My Hey Hey" and "Hey Hey My My" tied the acoustic and the electric statements together and gave us Young's observations on this phenomenon we call rock and roll. Both are included on "Live Rust."
I'd like to go on and tell you about my other favorite cuts on this album, but that would be all of them. 5 stars? Make mine 500.
If you buy it, you will listen. Maybe even for 21 years.

5.0 out of 5 stars NOT RUST NEVER SLEEPS PART II, March 2, 2004
Patrick Beaudry (Winston-Salem, NC) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Live Rust (Audio CD)
Coming on the heels of Rust Never Sleeps, Live Rust is often seen as a live version of the studio Rust album. Although some of the songs are the same, this album is a much broader interpretation of Neil's career up to that time. Like Rust Never Sleeps, this album starts out with just Neil and his guitar, doing what he does best. Beginning with the timeless classics Sugar Mountain and I am a Child, Neil builds a foundation that gets progressively harder and more electric with each song. The beauty of the CD format (unlike the double LP) is that you get to experience the progression from folksie Neil Young (I am a Child) to disillusioned and grungy Neil Young (Powderfinger, Tonight's the Night). The latter Neil is considered by many to be the fore-runner of modern grunge, as displayed so well on Weld.
Over the years, I think the album has suffered somewhat by having such a similar title to Rust Never Sleeps, as these albums are really quite different in both construction and tone. While not as polished as Rust Never Sleeps, Live Rust has an edgier feel that seems to give notice of where Neil would be taking his music in the future (Weld, for instance). Although I would recommend Decade for anyone interested in a greatest hits, or more retrospective album, this is a great performance by a consummate artist.

5.0 out of 5 stars Young Live, May 4, 2001
This review is from: Live Rust (Audio CD)
Neil Young actually performed the show that would become Rust Live prior to the release of his ground breaking Rust Never Sleeps album. He had released the quieter Comes A Time and the album opens up in that vein as the first nine or so songs are in the acoustic vein. The album opens up with the incredible "Sugar Mountain" and then moves into a Buffalo Springfield chestnut "I Am A Child". "After The Gold Rush" is always a highlight and "The Needle & The Damage Done" is quite powerful. When the band cracks up the volume, the show takes on a primal fury. "Like A Hurricane" is searing, "Cinnamon Girl" explodes like a powder keg, "Cortez The Killer" is a droning swirl of guitars and "Tonight's The Night" is soaring elegy. The four songs that appear on Rust Never Sleeps, "My, My, Hey, Hey", "Sedan Delivery", "Powderfinger" & "Hey, Hey, My, My" all reveal why the album was so great. Neil Young has released numerous live albums and Live Rust ranks right up at the top.

4.0 out of 5 stars REMASTERED!, June 16, 2008
BOB (LOS ANGELES, CA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Live Rust (Audio CD)
A while back, Warner Brothers Japan re-released 12 Neil Young titles. The surprise was that remastered content appeared for the first time on most of them.

The titles & WB-Japan catalog numbers are:

American Stars n' Bars WPCR-75094
Comes A Time WPCR-75095
Rust Never Sleeps WPCR-75096
Live Rust WPCR-75097

I picked up most of these, A/B'd them, and found them to be superior to the domestics. However, having purchased the domestic 2002 remasters of "Beach" and "Stars n Bars", I declined the Japan versions of those two titles.

Unfortunately, while the Japan version is remastered, Live Rust is not restored to the original LP's running form, and remains still the bastardized version.

If you own the U.S. versions, and you're a NY fan, I would seriously consider replacing them with these.

5.0 out of 5 stars It's Alive, August 5, 1999
By A Customer
This review is from: Live Rust (Audio CD)
Quite simply, one of the finest live albums ever made

4.0 out of 5 stars JAPAN REMASTERED VERSION AVAILABLE, June 18, 2008

Comes A Time WPCR-75095
Rust Never Sleeps WPCR-75096
Live Rust WPCR-75097

Live Rust
Live Rust by Neil Young (Audio CD - 1990)
Rate and Discover Movies