Customer Discussions > Born to Die forum

Live Show Ideas for Lana

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-3 of 3 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Feb 7, 2012 12:53:40 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 7, 2012 1:48:06 PM PST
Greg says:
Lana is a unique talent and has a lot to convey through her music. The question is how best to translate this into a live show.

I almost think some type of performance art/video drama show with Lana as the star might work. One thing that drew me to buy Born to Die was the contrast between Lana's fashion model look and the Born to Die theme of the album. It's almost like the album cover is a new variation on the American Gothic painting, with Lana symbolizing the death of the Madison Avenue image of the American Dream, and the resignation this has produced in society, especially during difficult economic times. To me, Lana is hitting that nerve in a big way and maybe through a combination of drama, video, and her vocals that could be conveyed in a live show.

Or, should Lana just stay with a more traditional (no frills) type of show. Interested in your thoughts.

Posted on Feb 7, 2012 3:57:46 PM PST
Don't really have many ideas for a live show or care too much about it -- But I'm glad I'm not the only one who's deeply reminded of American Gothic by the album cover :)

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 7, 2012 6:42:07 PM PST
Greg says:
Wow, thanks for the reply. When I pointed out the similarity of the painting to album cover to my wife, she more less thought I'd been smoking some of that funny stuff. :)

...also it seems that in some quarters, the marketing of the album is seen as a cave-in to consumer culture. I'm thinking instead, this is actually
an album actually (finally?) worthy of being marketed to consumers, rather than simply needing to be. That's why I'm thinking of ways to make her live show tap into the
worthiness of the album idea.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Born to Die forum
Participants:  2
Total posts:  3
Initial post:  Feb 7, 2012
Latest post:  Feb 7, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Born to Die
Born to Die by Lana Del Rey (Audio CD - 2012)
4.5 out of 5 stars   (792)