Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Peter Bernstein Quartet - Live at Smalls, featuring Jimmy Cobb
Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer angrybirds angrybirds angrybirds  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

67%
33%

VINE VOICEon August 9, 2011
I saw this group, with a different pianist, perform many of these songs in 2002 at the San Jose Jazz Festival. It was the first time I saw Bernstein play, and boy, is he ever good. Jimmy Cobb, the legendary drummer of Miles Davis's Kind of Blue contributes wonderfully here; John Webber is one of my favorite bassists, and the piano player is pretty damn good as well. All of these tunes are great, but Gershwin's Love Walked In is just a knockout. It blew me away in San Jose and it's just as good here.

Any serious jazz fan will thank you for recommending or giving this disc. Bernstein is a guy who loves to do what he does, and you'll love it too!
on November 16, 2014
I love Peter Bernstein. His albums are a must for anyone that loves jazz guitar, but after listening to this live album I think fans really benefit from a controlled studio environment. His live recordings available on Amazon are more of a treat for those that want to hear him in a natural and unprocessed environment. I say unprocessed in a good way, but it also means it is raw and less enjoyable than his studio work. The mix on this one seems a little off with the drums being a little hot, and listeners will hear a lot of ping ride and not so tight drum solos. I think this might be because of the recording and not the fault of the performers. Whatever the case, I love live recordings for their flaws and realism. This has that in spades, but it is still a good purchase.
on November 8, 2014
This is on a par with Jimmy Cobb's "Only for the Pure of Heart" - same band and what a great band! You can't go wrong here.