5.0 out of 5 stars Complimentary lineup
Published on November 26, 2010 by Kas Anders

3.0 out of 5 stars Live at the Greek Theatre 2008 - A Disappointing DVD
First of all, I want to be fairly clear here.

Published 10 months ago by K Martin

5.0 out of 5 stars Complimentary lineup, November 26, 2010
Kas Anders (metro Detroit, MI. USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Live at the Greek Theatre 2008 (DVD)
I've been to all-Starr concerts before and find them to be loose and somwhat ragtag affairs. Here as usual Ringo's vocals are wavery and often out of pitch as they are here but that matters not, he is as warm and friendly as ever. This band lineup compliments each other very well instead of drawing attention to themselves and it successfully makes them all stand out. Greg Bissonette's fantastic drumming is the rock that gives the ensemble a reliable center, Ringo's added drumming swings with his classic no-frills style. Edgar Winter looks and plays as good as ever, a very versitile and valuable member to have.
I enjoy this concert dvd more than I expected it's just so enjoyable and full of harmony and good vibes all around. The perfomances I love most of all here are Gary Wright doing "Love is Alive", what a treat, he's smiling and the crowd is having a great time with him, and Hamish Stuart doing the Isley Brothers "Work to do" which is upbeat and played with emotion and feels genuine, really great.
Ringo sings a couple of his new solo album songs but they don't do much for me, but that's okay it's his gig.
I've played this show a couple of times since I got it and will likey play it often. It's a feel good show with old and familiar songs that would serve well for backgroung to a party that will prick people's ears with new takes of old classics. Very satisfying concert and audio/video quality is excelent as well.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Band, Great Entertainment & A Beatle!, May 6, 2011
This review is from: Live at the Greek Theatre 2008 (DVD)
We saw Ringo and this band during the 2008 tour in an intimate outdoor venue in Ohio. When I watch this video it is much like being at that concert. The video is very good and the audio is a cut above a lot of DVD concerts.

Ringo surrounds himself with talented performers and he asks them to play some of their own material so they are not just back up players for the "Starr". It was a great treat to see a "Beatle" in little ole' Kettering, Ohio and then relive a very close representation on this DVD. Wonderful concert!

5.0 out of 5 stars Ringo Starr ROCKS!, July 28, 2011
This review is from: Live at the Greek Theatre 2008 (DVD)
Great Video, I have seen him in concert and this video captures Ringo's spirit and he continues to rock the world!

5.0 out of 5 stars Another great concert from Ringo and the All-Starrs (DVD), May 12, 2013
steve_manassas (Manassas, VA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Live at the Greek Theatre 2008 (DVD)
For his 2008 tour, Ringo Starr And His All-Starr Band returned to the Greek Theater in Los Angeles, where the first All-Starr concert album was recorded. This concert, available on audio CD as well as DVD, features a lineup of Ringo, Greg Bissonette, Billy Squier, Edgar Winter, Colin Hay (of Men At Work), Gary Wright, and Average White Band alumnus Hamish Stuart (who also played with Paul McCartney's band from 1989-1993).

The DVD has great sound and picture quality and has more songs than the CD, including "Memphis In Your Mind" from Ringo Rama (Bonus Dvd) (Dlx); the title track from Liverpool 8, Ringo's then-current Capitol album; the title track from Ringo's 2005 album, Choose Love; Billy Squier's "Lonely Is The Night"; Colin Hay's Men At Work hit, "Down Under"; Hamish Stuart's rendition of The Isley Brothers' "Work To Do"; and Gary Wright's "Love Is Alive." The CD is also sequenced and indexed a little differently than the DVD.

Of course, plenty of Ringo's classics are offered too - "It Don't Come Easy," "I Wanna Be Your Man," "Oh My My," "What Goes On," "With A Little Help From My Friends," and many more, including "Never Without You," Ringo's moving tribute to George Harrison.

The CD is perfect for the car, while the DVD can be watched at home, so get both of them. Of course, you can also listen to the audio CD at home.

4.0 out of 5 stars Riingo Starr- Live At The Greek, 2008, July 31, 2012
This review is from: Live at the Greek Theatre 2008 (DVD)
This will not be your DVD choice if you are looking for a Ringo Starr Beatle fest on DVD. Otherwise it's a very good rock and roll concert. Of the 27 songs performed by the all star group only five were written by the Beatles: What goes on, Act Naturally, Yellow Submarine, I wanna be your man, and With a little help.

Members of the All Starr Band that gathered on stage in August 2008 for this concert with Ringo Starr are: Billy Squier, (The Bluesbreakers), Colin Hay (Men at Work) and Edgar Winter, as well as Gary Wright (Spooky Tooth), Hamish Stuart (Average White Band) and Gregg Bissonette. They perform popular songs with which they are famously associated. This is a two hour concert.

The video quality of the DVD is very good. For my sound system selecting the 5.1 audio option on the disk does not generate sound in the center channel. For audio in all speakers I have to select the 2 channel audio, and PCM on the Sony amplifier. There is no DTS audio.

5.0 out of 5 stars Gotta Love Ringo!, December 29, 2010
This review is from: Live at the Greek Theatre 2008 (DVD)
My son and I went to see Ringo and his all Star Band when he played this summer in San Diego! These DVD captures some of the great rock musicians that played with him and their special songs. No matter how old I get, I will always remember listening to "Dreamweaver" that summer night - and the DVD reminds me of that night so much!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic!, February 6, 2014
Chris (United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Live at the Greek Theatre 2008 (DVD)
Another great performance from Ringo and his all stars band. Some new additions I've never seen before in other shows.

5.0 out of 5 stars This is a great purchase. I strongly suggest any one to buy this. Well worth the money for this product., January 19, 2014
This review is from: Live at the Greek Theatre 2008 (DVD)

3.0 out of 5 stars Live at the Greek Theatre 2008 - A Disappointing DVD, September 24, 2013
This review is from: Live at the Greek Theatre 2008 (DVD)
First of all, I want to be fairly clear here.

I love this band, love Ringo, love all of the music on this tour. I own both the CD and DVD of this tour, but... I just think they picked the wrong show for the DVD Release. To me, there are so many things wrong on this DVD that it just lets me down, and just makes it not as good as the 2006 DVD, the 2010 DVD, or the 2012 DVD.

First of all, the minor stuff:

1. The behind the scenes clips between songs, while unnecessary, I can live with.

2. Ringo's choice of clothing for the second half of the show is just an eye-sore. Trust me Rich, stay away from black and gold.

3. I would have much rather had a saxophone solo from Edgar Winter on Oh My My, rather than a guitar solo from Colin Hay.

4. The backing vocals on Memphis In Your Mind are slightly wrong, which seemed to happen in the 2003 tour as well. Must be Colin Hay.

5. Speaking of backing vocals, this tour probably has the worst backing vocals for Boys.

6. Ringo kinda screws up the opening to With a Little Help From My Friends. Really minor. Can also live with that.

7. There were solo spots from Billy Squier, Edgar Winter, Gary Wright, Colin Hay, and Hamish Stuart in the tour. On this DVD, none of them appears. I would rather have solo spots than just go straight from Yellow Submarine to Frankenstein.

Now the major stuff:

1. Gregg Bissonette. He's an amazing drummer. I'd love to see him in future tours. But his drumming is just majorly off on this tour, probably the worst in the 3 All Starr tours he's done.

2. The drum track on this DVD seems really focused on Ringo, when most of the time he doesn't play the full thing, and Gregg does all the heavy stuff. Not good. Several times in this DVD, Gregg appears to be playing something different, but we just don't hear it. Who Can It Be Now, Pick Up the Pieces, Work to Do, and I think Lonely Is The Night. There's probably more that I'm just missing. Basically, with my DVDs, I'd rather have the main drum track be coming from the lead drummer of the tour, unless the song is Boys, I Wanna Be Your Man, Choose Love, or Back Off Boogaloo, or any other songs where Ringo's singing AND on drums.

3. Ringo may not have ever been the greatest singer in the world, I'll grant that, but in this tour, his voice seems really really off on this tour. The With a Little Help From My Friends introduction, Never Without You, I Wanna Be Your Man, and Give Peace a Chance seems to show this. This one is PURELY my opinion.

4. My favourite song from Edgar Winter is really broken in this show. It just sounds bad, compared to either 2006 or 2010. The second synthesizer section is really messed up, with Edgar and Gregg being really out of sync, to the point of Gregg cutting the section short. Big thumbs down in my book. I still watch this show every now and then, but when I get to this point in the show, I always find myself reaching for the DVD remote to skip ahead. I love Frankenstein, but this version is just unwatchable for me.

There have been a few good parts of this tour, don't get me wrong.

1. I love this tour's versions of Act Naturally, What Goes On, Who Can It Be Now, Down Under, and Free Ride more than any other of the All Starr tours.

2. My second favourite Ringo song, Oh My My, is in this tour, big thumbs up for me. In some shows of this tour, Oh My My gets completely cut from the show, so I'm glad it's in this show.

The Setlist for the DVD:

With a Little Help From My Friends / It Don't Come Easy
What Goes On
Memphis In Your Mind
Lonely Is the Night (Billy Squier)
Free Ride (Edgar Winter)
Down Under (Colin Hay)
Dream Weaver (Gary Wright)
Boys
Pick Up The Pieces (Hamish Stuart)
Liverpool 8
Act Naturally
Yellow Submarine
Frankenstein (Edgar Winter)
All Starr Band Introductions
Never Without You
Choose Love
The Stroke (Billy Squier)
Work To Do (Hamish Stuart)
I Wanna Be Your Man
Love Is Alive (Gary Wright)
Who Can It Be Now (Colin Hay)
Photograph
Oh My My
With A Little Help From My Friends
Give Peace a Chance

Once again, the music on this tour is good. The band is good. What really let it down was the DVD release. The other DVDs from 2006 to 2013 really do outshine this one.

I've heard some people complain that the CD has Edgar Winter's Free Ride, but no Frankenstein. Honestly, I'd rather have it that way, the way Frankenstein is on this tour.

CD Setlist:

With a Little Help From My Friends / It Don't Come Easy
What Goes On
The Stroke (Billy Squier)
Free Ride (Edgar Winter)
Dream Weaver (Gary Wright)
Boys
Pick Up The Pieces (Hamish Stuart)
Act Naturally
Yellow Submarine
Never Without You
I Wanna Be Your Man
Who Can It Be Now (Colin Hay)
Photograph
Oh My My
With A Little Help From My Friends
Give Peace a Chance

Make of this review what you will. But given the choice, I'd pick the CD over the DVD. And it's probably the only tour I'd do that for.

5.0 out of 5 stars review, July 6, 2013
This review is from: Live at the Greek Theatre 2008 (DVD)
great music and service loved all the different vocalists and stars that performed the music who could wrong with this purchase enjoy

Live at the Greek Theatre 2008
Live at the Greek Theatre 2008 by Ringo Starr & His All Starr Band (DVD - 2010)
$14.99
In stock but may require an extra 1-2 days to process.
Rate and Discover Movies