4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent low carb book!
I finished this book today. It really is as good as his blog. My one complaint, and the reason I'm giving it only 4 stars, is the numerous typos, primarily grammatical. Fix those and you have a 5 star book.

Published on January 25, 2006 by Victoria Shephard

1.0 out of 5 stars Sadly, I must concur with others....
Published on December 27, 2009 by Mrs. C

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent low carb book!, January 25, 2006
Victoria Shephard "Newbirth" (San Francisco Bay Area, CA, United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Livin' La Vida Low-Carb: My Journey from Flabby Fat to Sensationally Skinny in One Year (Paperback)

I've already lost most of my weight on low carb, but this book would be an excellect place to begin your lifestyle. Don't forget to buy the book that goes with your program, too (Dr. Atkins' New Diet Revolution, The South Beach Diet, etc.).

This is not a "how to" book. It's an inspirational book with a lot of advice about how to overcome the difficulties that any change in eating and exercise will cause. Jimmy is honest about his struggles, and I think others can learn from how he overcame them. It's written in a conversational style and doesn't come across as preachy. He covers everything from water intake to exercise to supplements to staying motivated when the scale doesn't move.

He covers the 10 common reasons people say low carb isn't healthy, and warn that many people will try to discourage you because they feel it isn't healthy. (I've run into a LOT of this. Thankfully, I'm strong willed and don't let the naysayers get me off track.)

He talks about the importance of a support structure. This is doubly important in the face of the opposition low carbers have to face every day.

This book is well worth the read even with the typos and hopefully those can be fixed in later printings. Buy this book and read it! Then prepare to get healthy and lose weight by livin' la vida low carb!

5.0 out of 5 stars Inspiration and Practical Intelligence for Low Carbsing, October 9, 2006
Truly a useful book for those who either think they already know about the low carb lifestyle or those who would like to.

I have lost 85 lbs. the low carb way, and I have kept the weight off for more than 3 years. Most things I know about losing weight are in Jimmy Moore's book, but this book is better because it is written in a compelling way for the regular person. Jimmy serves as the trusted friend to guide the new low carber through the ups and downs of getting into low carbing and staying there. He addresses the emotional issues along the way, the pitfalls of facing change, and most importantly, the solid results from choosing low carbing as a way of life.

I bought this book for my brother, my Mom, and my best friend. All have thanked me for the gift.... I think I started them on a new way of life that I could not fully explain myself.

To me, this book exhibits the highest form of courage and goodwill. When Jimmy started his lowcarb plan, he did not know it would work... in fact, almost all previous efforts in his past to lose weight did not. Yet, he diligently documented his ups and downs. Ultimately, Jimmy was successful. Although it seems that his weight loss was quick, I know from experience that the first 3-4 months of low carbing can be "day by day hell" as we cold-turkey transition from bread, pasta, cereal to eggs, meat, and vegetables.

Livin' La Vida Low-Carb is a book that cushions the low carb transition with words of comfort and encouragement. Even better, we have a real life example of someone who has lost weight doing what they said they would do and who is willing to show the rest of us the way....what more could a reader ask?

5.0 out of 5 stars Jimmy Moore will inspire you to lose your unwanted pounds!, February 10, 2006
While most people would look at Jimmy Moore today and think, "He's never had a weight problem," little do they know he lost 180 pounds in one year! In Livin' La Vida Low-Carb, Jimmy Moore provides the information you need so you too can become a weight loss success story. Whether you have 50, 100, or 200 pounds to lose, you will identify with Jimmy as he walks you step-by-step through his amazing transformation.

Jimmy Moore shares exactly what motivated him to get started and stay committed to the low-carb lifestyle. He teaches you how to get serious about your weight problem and permanently change your mindset so you can succeed. As a 41-year old mother whose kept her weight off 18 years, I can't emphasize enough that you must change your mindset to succeed.

Every chapter is easy to follow with an excellent review "Key Points to Remember" at the end. In the chapter, "Sugar is Rat Poison," Jimmy teaches you how to effectively break your sugar addition once and for all. By viewing sugar as rat poison, you will quickly train your mind to disassociate yourself from sugar. Getting sugar out of your system will quickly end your wild cravings, making weight loss possible. A key way I was able to beat my own weight battle was by eliminating sugar.

Livin' La Vida Low-Carb dispels the myths that living low-carb means eating meat, cheese, and eggs all day. Jimmy does a thorough job describing the importance of drinking enough water, along with sharing which vitamins have been valuable to him as he shed his weight.

Jimmy teaches you how to change your mindset to embrace exercise instead of thinking exercise is a dirty word. As you read Jimmy's approach to exercise, you will realize you can do it too. Livin' La Vida Low-Carb is written in a personal, approachable style, sprinkled with humor at just the right time. For example, Jimmy describes what it's like to exercise as a 400-pound person: "...my thighs got to know each other very well by being in such close proximity. In fact, I would sometimes hear them talking to each other as I walked. `Excuse me, pardon me, excuse me, pardon me...'"

Livin' La Vida Low-Carb ends with a tremendously valuable chapter, "Perseverance to Reach Your Goals." Permanent weight loss success happens when you make a 100% commitment. By following Jimmy Moore's perseverance tips, it won't be long before you are writing your own success story. Anyone who has failed repeatedly at weight loss, should read Livin' La Vida Low-Carb!

--Laurie Bell, author, Lose the Lies, Lose the Weight: The Ultimate Guide to Permanent Weight Loss

5.0 out of 5 stars What "The Dining Detective(TM)" Discovers About Jimmy Moore, November 8, 2005
As a columnist for a national diet magazine, I pay close attention to the launch of a new weight loss book.

I know from my own reader feedback that the number one need is for real-life info that's not based on gimmicks. Throw in a heaping dose of motivation and you have the ideal formula for weight loss success.

Well, here it is, folks. Jimmy Moore's book "Livin'La Vida Low-Carb" is the recipe for winning in the diet arena. Told from the heart, this friendly guide is packed with tips, little known facts and clever strategies to create your weight loss transformation.

Whether it is 20 pounds (or the almost 200 that Jimmy lost) this low-carb blueprint lays it all out for the reader. Jimmy's method of concluding every chapter with "Key Points" - along with his warmth and humor - instill his book with a Rocky can-do spirit.

This is not your typical Madison Avenue standardized and sanitized cookie cutter diet book. This is the real deal. If that's what you're looking for, then look no further.

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovin' La Vida Low-Carb, December 31, 2005
You can sum up Jimmy Moore in one word: enthusiasm. I could say he started small and got bigger where his writing is concerned, while he started big and got smaller where his eating habits are concerned! When you read what Jimmy Moore writes, you can tell he's been where you are. There are so many myths and so many critics where low-carbing is concerned; I know I've had plenty of conversations with people where I wished I had known just a little more in order to come back with some very witty, snappy return. If only I could have Jimmy Moore in my back pocket! (Oh wait, that's what the BOOK is for...silly me...) No, Jimmy is not a "pro", he's not out to get your money, although he may be out to scare up new converts to the low-carb way of life! But his experiences and opinions are backed up by science and physiology. He strikes me as someone who knows the science almost as well as Dr. Atkins himself, but Jimmy's writing is far more enjoyable.

5.0 out of 5 stars Informative and Entertaining!, July 17, 2006
Jimmy does a fantastic job of telling his story while giving advice on the low-carb lifestyle! He shares vital information and tips that were the key to his success without going over your head with techincal mumbo-jumbo. His sense of humor pulls it all together for an entertaining lesson in living life to its fullest - the Livin' La Vida Low-carb way!

5.0 out of 5 stars Jimmy is Fantastic! Oh..and the Book is Spectacular, September 13, 2006
I just finished Jimmy Moore's book about his unbelievable weight loss living the low carb life. AMAZING! I was not following low carb but had in the past. One day, I came across Jimmy's blog and was astounded at the information he provided all across the board, from the beginning low carber to the seasoned! So, I ordered his book. I was so pleasantly surprised by how much of himself he put into this book. He shows his heart. I am going to post the e-mail I sent to Mr. Moore so you can see what a profound effect it had on me. Buy the book...you won't be sorry. What a great motivator and inspiration. Here is my e-mail:

> "Hello Mr. Moore! I just read your book and all I have to say is WOW,

> WOW, WOW~~!!!!!!! You are a true inspiration, as well as the other

> friends you have posted about that have lost so much weight. My name is Sheri.

> I started Atkins for the last time today 09/12/2006. I weighed in at

> 292.4, 5'5", 37 (almost 38, but lets not push it) and completely

> unhealthy (I have all the warning signs to a very short life). I too

> have so much to lose (including my life), but reading your book, your

> blog and others websites and stories for help and inspiration is

> helping me come to an understanding that this is the right program for

> me. It has taken me years to come to this conclusion, but here I am. I

> have tried Atkins or some form of low carb many times throughout the

> years, along with every other diet out there. Nothing has ever seemed

> to help permanently or in the case of my Atkins "episodes", I have

> just tried for a few days and then called it quits! What a baby I have

> been. I read the post and watched the video from Kent Altena about

> induction flu! Hallelujah! Something clicked. That "flu" is why I give

> up every time! .. NO MORE! I am here to say with all that is in my heart (and for my heart.so I do not keel over of a heart attack) I will not be stopped.

> Like one of my favorite movies, A League of Their Own, says."There's

> no crying in baseball" my new mantra is There's no crying in

> livin-la-vida-lo-carb! Can I get an AMEN! I am starting my own blog

> for my journey.I told you that you were an inspiration. :-) Please

> stay tuned to all of my ups and downs. I will let you know how it

> goes! Thanks again to you and all those great, successful, don't take

> quitting or excuses, low carb gurus out there!

> Sheri Mitchell

> That crazy chick whose eyes have finally opened!"

PS...He is a great writer!

4.0 out of 5 stars La Vida goes far beyond low-carb livin', December 21, 2005
Even if you are not a fan of low-carb diets, get this book! It will inspire and transform the way you think about fitness and living healthy. I must admit that I have a built-in bias to Jimmy's story because it is similar to my own. We both were overweight and spent a lot of time trying to discover the right connection to lose fat... and more importantly, to keep it off. Jimmy's book captures the essence of this journey and will connect with many of you who are looking for that powerful reason not to give up hope. While I have had success with many clients using a variety of approaches, some people seem to connect well with the low-carb method. Jimmy tackles the entire lifestyle - it's not just about your diet. He shares exercise, motivation, and more. While I don't agree that sugar is rat poison, as one of the chapters proclaims, I did connect with much of the how and why behind this amazing transformation. The change is more than checking the carb count on the nutrition facts, and you'll discover not only what Jimmy did to transform his life, but it was like witnessing it through his wife's own words. This book will be an asset to your weight loss success library.

5.0 out of 5 stars Livin' La Vida Low-Carb Rocks!, October 29, 2005
Livin' La Vida Low-Carb Rocks!

Jimmy Moore's Livin' La Vida Low-Carb is book that anyone who ever struggled with trying to lose weight will want to read.

Livin' La Vida Low-Carb is about one mans journey of what it took for him to go from severely obese to fabulously fit. He shares every detail of what it took to liberate himself of 180 pounds of fat in a very short period of time.

Jimmy's Livin' La Vida Low-Carb is a book that will inspire you. His weight loss success is nothing short of a miracle. I would highly recommend this book to anyone who struggles to believe that there IS a solution to getting the weight off without counting calories or eating low fat. Reading Livin' La Vida Low-Carb will challenge you to think outside the box and show that there is a way out if you are willing to do the work.

1.0 out of 5 stars Sadly, I must concur with others...., December 27, 2009
I bought this thinking it would add to my low carb book library in a meaningful way; basically I found it to be a regurgitation and rehashing of blog postings galore. For someone who is just starting and wants a feel-good book about how someone else did it, this would be ok for them. If they were wanting a meaty 'how to' and immersion into the LC lifestyle, I'd definitely point them elsewhere. It's not really for someone who is a LC virgin (if you want them to learn), nor is it all that enjoyable for the LC veteran unless you don't mind spending money on a book that really only rah-rahs and doesn't contribute anything you can't find on various Internet chat boards for free.
I find it sad that so many people feel it's necessary to attack anyone who dares post a less than 5 star review. Even Dr. Atkins' books are subject to 1 star reviews and they are imminently more educational, in my opinion. It's entirely possible to not like a book and post accordingly, it doesn't reflect personally on the merit or worth of the author as a person. Take it accordingly.

$16.95 $16.10