Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Water Sports

Format: Paperback|Change

VINE VOICEon September 25, 2006
For years I have read every book, magazine (International Living, etc) and website (EscapeFromAmerica, etc) about living inexpensively abroad in Latin America, Europe, and Asia. Moon Living Abroad in Nicaragua is, by far, the most comprehensive, informative and well written resource I have come across. [...]. Also much better and more comprehensive than anything I've seen from International Living who's angle it is to provide you with bread crumbs of info in order to draw you into one of their expensive seminars. This book gives you all the info you need, no strings attached.

Unfortunately for me, I don't want to live in Nicaragua! This book sets a high bar that will hopefully inspire a new class of books about living abroad, including countries I'm more interested in.

I don't what the elderly reviewer is complaining about, this book is perfectly suited to a retiree investigating Nicaragua. First rate, highly recommended.
on September 24, 2007
I bought this book in anticipation of my week long Nicaraguan trip. It accompanied me throughout the trip and it was invaluable. Being a non Spanish speaker accompanying my Nicaraguan-born relatives on the trip, I found it funny that I was constantly being asked to look in my book to get information on where we should eat, where we were going and what certain rules were. I especially loved the sections on cultural norms. At 29 years old, I read these sections and thought, " So that's why my mom does that!" Especially the part where it says Nicaraguans point with their lips. My mom was the only person I knew who did that and the realization that there is a whole country of lip pointers was funny to learn about. Even if you are not going to live in Nicaragua, I highly recommend this book as a prerequisite before traveling there. Yeah, you may not care for certain sections dealing with home buying and obtaining visas but the parts that deal with describing certain areas and the maps provided are very helpful. A Great Buy!!
on December 13, 2006
We have used our Red edition of their MoonHandbook until it just about fell apart. Now this book has come out I can't put it down!

We live part time in Nicaragua and these books have definitely made the transition for our family easier!

The map of Managua is like no other we have ever seen. We were able to traverse the city coming from Jinotepe to Las Mercedes (in the dark with a flashlight) with NO problems.

I would highly recommend this book to anyone thinking of moving to Nicaragua -either long or short term- no matter what their age.
on December 30, 2006
This book provides PRICELESS information to those traveling to or planning on living in Nicaragua. Joshua & Randy have a way of describing the country and its' beautiful inhabitants with a charming mix of personal experience and important facts. I read the book about 2 weeks before my Nica trip and would have been a bit lost without the book- especially the section on cultural norms. Thanks for the book, gentleman. I highly reccomend it!
on September 11, 2006
Living Abroad in Nicaragua is a well-researched and comprehensive resource for anyone who is thinking about working, living, investing or just traveling to Nicaragua on a longer-term basis. The book is divided up into very useful sections and information is very easy to find. The authors, having lived and worked in Nicaragua themselves, are clearly educated and well-informed on many fronts and include this valuable information in the book for the reader. I also feel that it is important that the authors clearly care about the future of Nicaragua and care deeply for the Nicaraguan people. That is invaluable.
on April 3, 2007
Moon Living Abroad in Nicaragua proved to be a wonderful resource as my family and I began to make our fanatasy of living (at least part-time) in Nicaragua a reality. The authors provide lots of details on daily life as well as extensive profiles of Nicaraguan cities and towns across the country. I most appreciated the diverse voices of the expat community that are included in this book. While both authors seem to have many years of experience living in Nicaragua between them, the additional perspectives increase the book's breadth. This book got me through a long winter in Seattle!
on September 15, 2006
Read the entire book. It's packed with useful information. It's very well researched & well written.
on November 12, 2013
Much of the advice relates to cultural issues faced by expats moving to many Latin Ameican countries. The section on dealing with immigration officials is itself worth the price of the book. Highet reommendation.
on January 31, 2016
This is a really useful book for anyone who wants to, or thinks they want to, live abroad in the third world. It is specific to Nicaragua but many of the issues are similar in many countries. The author does a great job of describing what to expect, the good and the bad then follows it up with practical advice on how to create a workable life in these sort of places.
on October 3, 2013
For anyone considering an extended trip to Nicaragua or moving there, this book gives so much great advice. Advice that could save many big problems, and maybe your life! Its also written in an engaging and entertaining style that I enjoyed reading from cover to cover. Great book!