Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Look Park Fire TV Stick Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer showtimemulti showtimemulti showtimemulti  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports

Format: Audio CD|Change

on September 20, 2004
Finally a complete and well remastered reissue of this great Canned Heat album. Several companies have put this on the market over the past 10+ years, one as a single CD (good sound, but leaving out Part 2 of Refried Boogie) and another (French) as a proper 2 CD set, beautiful packaging and all - but with flawed sound. BGO got it right with this release: all the tracks, great sound and all the artwork. Apart from this, it's also a fantastic album highlighting top notch Canned Heat in both studio and live settings.
22 comments| 57 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 14, 2005
This is Canned Heat's best CD by a long shot. It's like nothing else done by them or by anyone else. If you are turned off by their later weak efforts, you will be amazed at how good this CD is. It has a timeless appeal like Robert Johnson's records that sounds good across the decades of time since it was recorded. There is some really hot guitar work along with some nice harmonica "duets" and lush, full, soulful horns. I bought the record in 1968 and played it until it wore out. It was out of print for years. This CD is the real deal. If you like blues music, you will like this CD.
on February 1, 2006
Like everyone else writing reviews about this music, hearing it was (and is) a pivotal event. It was right up there with Cream, Softs, and Ornette. I know every note of Henry's solo. My mother hated it then and my wife hates it now. Life's great, isn't it? No, really! But where's the DVD. Can you imagine seeing it too?
on December 14, 2005
This album reminds me on my youth, it was in the late sixties. I've got this album from a friend but the second part was missing.Fortunately I've got the complete album on cd now. Old times are living again. Canned Heat one of the greatest bluesbands ever on this planet. This is a must have album.
on June 22, 2000
YES IT IS TRUE AFTER 31 YEARS WE HAVE AN EXCELLANT RE-MASTERED VERSION OF THIS TOTALLY CLASSIC BLUES ALBUM! This album was Canned Heat's "Sargent Pepper"Album a rather stunning array of different styles of music COMBINED TOGETHER SUCH AS EASTERN SITARS STYLE to Big Band arrangements using only Multi-Tracked Harmonicas, played by Alan Wilson who also sang the Major selling hits by Canned Heat.THE album has fantastic blues songs mixed with jazz horns section ,DR.John on Piano,John Mayell on Piano also,EQUISITE MULTI- TRACKED DRUM SOLO'S BY THEIR INCREDIBLE DRUMMER= Fito de La Para,Multitracked lead guitar solo's by the Late HENRY VESTINE(really genuis work here by him . Even one Concert version of Boogie is also on this CD.Safe to say that there will never be a Group Quite like CANNED HEAT .They were a great Blues Band but truely they played many styles of music and combined those styles of music in ways that no Band has ever even immitated Since their Departure. This was a two album set of records that always got scratched or damAged somehow. it is so nice to hear it hear QUIETLY with no pops or clicks etc.and REMASTERED TO utterPERFECTION!
ON the other hand is the other album REMASTERED BY THE AKARMA LABEL . NOT VERY GOOD MASTERING ON THREE OF THE SONGS . PLEASE READ MY REVIEW AT THE "BOOGIE WITH CANNED HEAT ALBUM REVIEW SECTION. Especially if you are thinking of PURCHASING the "Boogie With Canned HEAT Album.
on November 17, 2001
This is a great CD! Although not easy to get. I waited six weeks for it to ship, but it was well worth it. I was a bit skeptical about the quality of the re-master because of one of the reviews I had read here, but the quality is excellent. It does not come in a jewel case, but in a nice replica of the original album cover that folds out. The one flaw was that CD 1 & 2 were misnumbered, but that didn't really affect anything.
Now as far as what is on the album. I had the original album back in 1968, and it was the first blues album that I ever had so I'm somewhat partial. I do have several Canned Heat albums though, and this is my favorite. If you're not familiar with it you are missing something. I like this version of the boogie because some of the lyrics seem to reflect the Bear's thoughts about the infamous bogus Denver drug bust that made news at the time. Henry Vestine's guitar licks are reminiscent of John Lee Hooker, but the vocal is more true to "Feelin' Good" by Little Junior's Blue Flames from the Sun label back in the 50's. The forty-one minutes does tend to get a little long but again for that time, this was a landmark presentation.
The second CD opens with two wonderful studio recordings. The first, "Pony Blues" almost seems like it could have been an Alan Wilson tune based upon the arrangement, but the Bear handles the vocal and it is one of his best. The second tune is a great Alan Wilson number in the mold of "Goin' Up The Country" and is one of my favorites by him. The rest of the disc is just as strong. Of particular note is the track "Parthenogenesis" which is a compilation of nine tunes. Including "Bear Wires" a great Bob Hite blues song featuring fantastic Albert Ammons-style piano played by John Mayall. Get it while you can, Don't Wait!
on March 19, 2012
Canned Heat's "Living The Blues" is rapidly rocketing up my "favorites of all time" list. There's something elemental about their magical blend of biker mentality & psychedelic hippie peace & love. Exactly what this world needs. They have a sound you can trust, that can vividly bring back "flashbacks" of well-meant ecstatic highs, where their music helps "keep your head together." The more you discover about Canned Heat, the more you feel sad for the ones who died too early. It's charming & amusing how, in the track "Sandy's Blues," THE BEAR refers to himself, good naturedly, as "Big Fat," and because this reviewer is from Cleveland, I understand when he cites the source of his blues as "this girl from Cleveland." Brother, I can dig it. The 20+ minute experimental track Para(whatever)Genesis, or whatever it's called, I had to hear twice to like, but now I love it and find it indespensible. But the main thing I want to say is this: I vehemently disagree with anyone who claims that the 41 minute "Refried Boogie" is "self-indulgent." WRONG! I was shocked & saddened to see that, even in the CD's liner notes, Refried Boogie is called self-indulgent. NO! In fact, not one second of Refried Boogie is boring. It's really what the boogie is all about, and features a nice bass solo and fantastic psychedelic guitar solo. I really & truly love Refried Boogie...it's as comforting as it is exciting, as stable as ecstatic, equally grounding & soaring.
on February 13, 2007
Avid Canned Heat fan for many years, though not a contemporary. Had the good fortune to see the rump band touring with Mandel on lead in 1992 when they came through Eugene and Henry's band opened for them before joining for jam late into the night. Drumstick signed by Henry, Fito, Larry, and Harvey.

Obviously this album is their magnum opus, towering over many other fine albums, including the under-appreciated Hallalulah. The problem is that like other BGO selections the sound quality while decent is not great, particularly on Going 'Up the Country'. The song is maybe the fifth best on this album, so it is not a crippling loss but being as how this is one of the top 10 albums by any band ever, the quality should match. Nice to get the full boogie, though; an improvement over the earlier CD releases.
on June 21, 2014
I don't think I ever purchased a Canned Heat album before. My very first concert in 1968 at the San Jose Fairgrounds, I was 13 years old, Canned Heat was the headliner, and was having flight problems and not there, I had to get back to my Mom who was picking me up, so I never got to see them.
I decided to purchase this based on that I wanted to go back and listen to Canned Heat as a blues band. I enjoyed the entire 2 CD, stereo (right/left-sub) remaster. It's easy for me to like these old recordings as they are what I grew up on. Not the super sonic display of recording done in today's market. Always most notable are the flat sounding drums.
Sorry, I digressed, this album is fun and well recorded/remastered. I am glad I have added it to my music library and I will listen to it again. It is great for turning on in the house and listening to as I am fooling around with something else. Going up the Country is a standard, how the songs are put together on Disc 1 are great. Disc 2, Refried Boogie is fantastic but I keep hearing 1969's Ten Years Afters "Boogie On" on there Stonedhenge album that I have listened to a million times. I think Alvin and company might have stolen a bit from Canned Heat's Refried Boogie.
The packaging is great and I thoroughly enjoyed learning about Canned Heat in the liner notes, John Tobler 2003.
on June 12, 2013
Now I know why my Dad (who was at Woodstock) had this album in his collection. What was originally the second album is the second disc in this set. Refried Boogie Part 1 & 2 are worth the price of admission. It's a 40 minute raunchy ride through a bad @ss blues jam.