4.0 out of 5 stars GOT IT RIGHT THIS TIME
Published on September 24, 2010 by Ian S. Hamilton

3.0 out of 5 stars Lots of stories
When I first bough this I though it was one novel but found out it was a bunch of little stories. Some were good some were bad.
Published 5 months ago by David Garcia

4.0 out of 5 stars GOT IT RIGHT THIS TIME, September 24, 2010
This review is from: The Living Dead 2 (Paperback)
So far I am half way through this book and it's already 100% better than the first. The first was ok but alot of the stories were repeats from another anthology style book. This one has more zombie ZOMBIE related stories and not so much the stupid voodoo style zombies. just a much better read, just wanted to put this on here for those of you like me that were put off by the first living dead, had some good stories in it just not enough this one has a lot more and by some better authors..kinda wish j.l. bourne had done one too but i'll take brooks, maberry,kirkman, keene,and moody.

4.0 out of 5 stars 2 times the charm, March 29, 2011
This review is from: The Living Dead 2 (Paperback)
If you were to read the reviews I gave for John Joseph Adams other anthologies ("The Living Dead" and "Wastelands: Stories of the Apocalypse") you would understand my reluctance on purchasing yet another collection edited by him. However after other positive reviews and my growing library of zombie fiction, I caved and bought his newest: "The Living Dead 2".
And fortunately it is an entirely different monster (pun intended).
Of the 44 short stories collected in this anthology, 22 were some of the best stories of zombie horror I have read.It should come as no surprise that the well known authors in here prevailed: Brian Keene's ("Lost Canyon of the Dead"), David Welington's ("Good People"), Max Brooks's ("Steve and Fred") and Robert Kirkman's ("Alone Together") works were outstanding but to me it was some of the lesser known, obscure and new authors on the block whose stories captivated me the most. Having already read both of Joe McKinney's novels ("Dead City" and "Apocalypse of the Dead"), the fact that his short story "Dating in Dead Town" was incredibly rich and entertaining was of little surprise to me. "Who We Used to Be" by David Moody and the disgusting, yet highly enjoyable "Zombie Gigolo" by S.G. Brown (a story that won 3rd place in the annual Gross out Contest in the 2008 World Horror Convention) take the reader into the mind of the undead, answering the questions of what the undead feel, think, and do.
With so many good stories, its hard to find the best works but I believe the best piece(s) ,for me anyways, comes to a 2 way tie between Gary A. Braunbeck's "We Now Pause for a Station Identification" and the fantasticly written and original "The Rapeworm" by Charles Coleman Finlay. The former, a radio broadcast by who is perhaps the last man on the planet, the later, a take on a zombie plague brought on by something from outer space.
The problem with "The Walking Dead 2" though comes in those other 22 stories and even those arent that bad when compared to some of the works from the first anthology. Where "Dead 2" really starts to loose it's readers comes at the end. Of the final 3 stories (All of which are probably the weakest of the bunch) the killer is the John Skipp and Cody Goodfellow piece, which is a real shame when considering Skipp is the grandmaster of all things zombie fiction. Unfortunately that story is so bizzare, so convoluted and completely horrible that it becomes the "Neuromancer" of zombie fiction (read my review of Neuromancer to understand where I am coming from). Couple that with the ridiculously boring "Category 5" , the completely strange (and Brian Keene-esque ripoff) "The Skull faced Boy" and the much too long "He Said, Laughing" and "The Living Dead 2" looses a very possible and much earned 5 star rating.
So is "The Living Dead 2" worth your time and money? Absolutely. Where else are you going to get 44 different takes on the zombie genre for only a measly 16 bucks. Sure a few of the stories in here are flops, but who knows, maybe you will like them. For any zombie enthusiast, I say this: "Buy it". If nothing else, it'll look good on your bookshelf.

4.0 out of 5 stars Much Stronger Collection than Volume One, October 15, 2010
Jeffrey Swystun (Toronto & Mont Tremblant) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Living Dead 2 (Paperback)
The popularity of zombies is undeniable given the raft of books, films and now an AMC television series. And my own enjoyment of the zombie genre is a bit of a mystery (more so to my wife though). That is why I like the introduction by John Joseph Adams who states these reasons for the popularity, zombies are:

- an enemy that used to be us, that we can become at any time;
- a canvas writers can use to comment on almost anything;
- a morality-free way to fulfill a world-destruction fantasy; and
- a monster that remains scary and cannot be easily romanticized.

I would add that much of my own fascination is based on how I think I would do in a zombie-infested world. Would I survive?, would I survive with honor?, would I be a leader?, and what would I gain or lost of my own humanity? Deep huh? In actuality, I just love these books as thrilling escapes. And I applaud this collection which is stronger than Volume One.

Standouts for me included: Kirkman's Alone Together which has a forlorn twist, Barnes & Due's Danger Word that explores loyalty, Wellington's Good People that provides fun formula, Keene's Lost Canyon of the Dead that could have been co-written with Douglas Preston, Brooks' Steve and Fred which explores heroism versus survival, Fingerman's The Summer Place features a lead character one can empathize with, Edelman explores an anti-terrorism angle in The Human Race, and McAuley's The Thought War will get you thinking.

The editor provides interesting information on each contributor along with a thoughtful introduction to each story. I found this helpful as it provides other titles from these authors to seek out. Definitely great entertainment overall and practically speaking a solid value for the dollar as there over forty stories. I am looking forward to Volume Three.

4.0 out of 5 stars entertaining, though short of amazing, July 16, 2012
This review is from: The Living Dead 2 (Paperback)
The Living Dead 2 is a mammoth collection of short zombie stories compiled by John Joseph Adams and featuring a host of zombie-famous writers such as Robert Kirkman (The Walking Dead), Carrie Ryan (The Forest of Hands and Teeth), Max Brooks (World War Z) and Mira Grant (the Deadline trilogy).

Like most anthologies, it's a mixed bag. A few are so-so, a few are amazing (don't miss Steven Barnes' and Tananarive Due's Danger Word), and most are somewhere in between, but they're all entertaining enough to make this a worthwhile read.

With over forty stories included, themes run the gamut from aliens to teenagers to the military to viruses to cowboys and more. I sometimes found it a little jarring to move from story to story - they are in such a specific genre but at the same time vary so much from each other. A major brain reboot was required at the beginning of each new story. But some people may not have that problem, and after all, this is a collection of shorts so it's easy to take them one at a time and give yourself a break in between.

5.0 out of 5 stars For those looking for a fix between seasons of Walking Dead, May 22, 2012
This review is from: The Living Dead 2 (Paperback)
I love anthologies, especially zombie anthologies, but they are not all created equally. Some promise flesh eating fun, but MANY deliver out of print stories or other such gems that either read horribly dated or in some cases have absolutely nothing to do with zombies. Living Dead 2 doesn't cheat the readers. The Skull Face City, Are You Trying to Tell Me This is Heaven, Danger Word...these are just 3 of the stories that had me looking at the book's cover & wondering "Where the hell do these people get their ideas?". Some stories are whimsical, others harsh & vulgar while many are simply sad & filled with a person's desperation in trying to survive in a world taken over my walking corpses. There are several author's names you'll recognize on the front cover, but many more who you will look for after sampling their handwork. A must have for zombie lovers!

4.0 out of 5 stars Mixed but harrowing, December 28, 2011
This review is from: The Living Dead 2 (Paperback)
I've been thinking about zombies for two days straight now, having polished off this second volume. There are some great pieces here. Though nothing came close to the shear horror of Michael Swanick's "The Dead" from volume I, the best story hear, by miles is Jamie Lackey's, 'The Other Side.' Four pages, no fighting or biting, not a single zombie makes an appearance, but it was absolutely gripping. Can't wait for volume III, but I'm off to recheck my door locks.

William Doonan
author of 'Grave Passage' and 'Mediterranean Grave'

5.0 out of 5 stars A Worthy Successor, November 7, 2010
This review is from: The Living Dead 2 (Paperback)
This volume continues the great short storytelling which commenced in the first LIVING DEAD. I hope there is a LIVING DEAD 3!

3.0 out of 5 stars Lots of stories, January 22, 2014
This review is from: The Living Dead 2 (Paperback)

5.0 out of 5 stars A must have for ANY Zombie lover with braaaaaiinnnss, July 23, 2013
William D County Jr (Longmont, CO United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Living Dead 2 (Paperback)
Loved the first compilation of stories in the previous book (The living dead) and number 2 did not disappoint either. The tidbits & short bio of each author before each story is nicely presented and led me to authors whose works now have their own place in my bookcase.

5.0 out of 5 stars Better than the first, February 20, 2013
This review is from: The Living Dead 2 (Paperback)
I very much enjoyed the original Living Dead anthology, and this one was even better. Two stories that hit home for me involved parents and children and how one might deal with the other as they were bitten and turned. Very compelling.

The Living Dead 2
The Living Dead 2 by Walter Greatshell (Paperback - September 1, 2010)
$15.99 $14.17
In stock but may require an extra 1-2 days to process.
Rate and Discover Movies