5.0 out of 5 stars Informative and easy to gain understanding of depression
Through storytelling and her personal experience, the author engages us in what it is like to experience depression. By feeling connected to the author in this way, reading this book was effortless and you walk away realizing how much you have learned.

Published on June 22, 2011 by Amazon Customer

1.0 out of 5 stars Not a good buy
Honestly, it was a waste of money. There was only 1 good chapter in there, #5. 1/3 of the book was a list of famous people with depression, bi-polar disorder and too many paged devoted to the Appendices. Too clinical, wanted a more "practical" book.
Published 11 months ago by Andrea G. Dugan

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Informative and easy to gain understanding of depression, June 22, 2011
This review is from: Living with Depression: Why Biology and Biography Matter along the Path to Hope and Healing (Hardcover)

I can see this book being used as a required reading for a class, or for family/friends who deal with someone struggling with depression. For example, Ms. Serani describes various types of treatments available as well as discussing the different types of medications and how they affect the brain. Additionally, I was impressed with her chapter on suicide- a topic that most shy away from. This book is rich in resources, has a glossary of terminology, and I love how she included a long list of notables in society who have depression.

Lastly, throughout this book, Ms. Serani talks about stigma with having a mental illness and/or dealing with someone who struggles with depression. She points out the importance of people sharing their stories as a way of bringing awareness that many people who do deal with depression can manage their symptoms and lead productive satisfying lives. A great read!

5.0 out of 5 stars A Very Helpful Book on How to Live with Depression, March 25, 2012
C. Wong "Book worm" (Plano, Texas United States) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Living with Depression by Deborah Seranti is a must read for anyone who has depression and for those who treat depression. I believe that it would also be helpful to have friends and family of anyone depressed read it.

Deborah Serani is a psychologist with a private practice and in this book, she tells of her own plans to commit suicide. But medication, psychotherapy and research by herself she is able to live with depression. I am interested in this book because I too, have major depression. It runs in my family.

She explains that depression is not a nature vs. nurture question but is the result of nature and nurture. Stress and the lack of a support system can throw you over to suicidal thoughts.

But this book is not a gloomy, recital of facts that contribute to depression. Rather it is a message of hope and healing.

Society needs to recognize that depression is a chronic illness. This is something that we have to live with through our lives. Stigma is a great problem; this can prevent people from getting help. Mental illness is not something to be laughed at but rather means that person may need medicine, counseling and support. In this book, Deborah Serani, gives ways that she personally confronts stigma.

I have two favorite parts of this book. First are the twelve pages of well know people who have lived with or have some form of depression. On that list, you will see Mark Twain, John Quincy Adams, Alex Baldwin, and Dick Clark to just name a few. She put them in this book to show that even though you have depression, you can still be successful.

The other part that enjoyed was about healthcare officials and the ways that they employ tactics to either avoid or delay payment. I had experiences some of these and had not realized that they were intentional.

In this book are steps for a personal "Suicide Prevention Plan" and information on "Living with Depression". I was very happy to see that some of tips were ones that I had figured out for myself, like refraining from watching violent TV shows and movies, and staying away from noisy environments.

Again I strongly recommend this book to anyone dealing with the chronic illness of depression and their friends and family.

5.0 out of 5 stars Important Resource for Family and Friends, November 17, 2011
As someone who has had loved ones suffering from depression this is a book I wish I had been able to read over twenty years ago! That was not possible, of course, and much has changed for the better in our society's understanding of depression.

A lot of us tend to believe that the depressed person just needs to "get over it" already or that drugs are only for the weak. This book helps explain why "getting over it" is not possible for many people with this illness without real help and probably a combination of tools. Pharmacological help can be a GREAT thing and she explains how it works. The book not only reveals Serani's moving personal story, she explains in clear terms what depression looks like and the range of treatment available. For those of us who seek to understand our loved ones this book is a great resource. Serani's book is one I'll gladly be giving away to those I feel will benefit from it.

5.0 out of 5 stars hope, February 23, 2012
There is so much compassion behind this nuanced book about uni-level and bipolar depression. The science in the
book is written in a way that is readable for those who are not in the field of science. The author's experiences
are very compelling. She works hard to dispel myths and fight stigmas. There is so much encouragement and hope
in this book for those who suffer with depression that they can improve with treatment.

5.0 out of 5 stars Just What You Need To Know!, April 21, 2012
When you're struggling with depression one of the things that makes you feel even more depressed is the thought that you'll feel that way forever. I know this from personal experience as I had to overcome more than 25 years of depression associated with posttraumatic stress disorder. The tough thing about living with depression is not understanding it, or knowing what to do about it.

In Deborah Serani's book you'll not only find information you really need in order to understand and create a functional life despite depression, you'll also gain the hope that you can feel better. In candid prose that illustrates Serani's own life-long struggle with depression the author makes the clinical side of things enormously easy to grasp while also showing depression from inside a layperson's perspective. It's this combination that elevates the book from just a source of education to one of inspiration. By the end of the book you'll have hope for your own healing, plus: a ton of fun with the list Serani has compiled of celebrities with mood disorders. It's always good to know you're not alone; Serani's list makes this abundantly clear!

5.0 out of 5 stars EXCELLENT!!, July 5, 2011
As a woman who has suffered from depression my whole life, I found that Dr. Serani's book, "Living with Depression", to be not only exquisitly written, but powerfully informative and interesting. Dr. Serani's own personal stories and conflicts with depression combined with in depth insight and information about depression and the many types of mental illness, makes for this great book. I highly recommend it for a good dose of reality to all people but especially to those who do not fully understand or want to understand mental illness.
I applaud Dr. Serani for a great book!

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding book, November 16, 2011
In "Living with Depression" Dr. Serani eloquently combines valuable information regarding the latest research on depression with personal experiences, and shares with us how she has learned to live and cope with depression. As a professional in the field I highly recommend this book to my colleagues as well as to individuals coping with depression and their family members. It's a beautifully written book by someone who truly understands the depth and complexity of depression.

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy to read and understand; Incredible resources within the book, October 9, 2011
Dr. Serani, who is a psychologist and practicing psychoanalyst, candidly shares her lifelong struggle with depression and how depression severly impacted her life and those around her. She vividly describes her personal experiences with depression, and the path she took to take back control of her life. She's an experienced, gentle, insightful author and I'm sure anyone who knows her is proud of the courage and perseverance she possessed to publish personal experiences in her life to help others. In addition, she helps the reader to understand that a variety of people in the world have depression, and live their daily lives proud and successful while "Living With Depression". The enormous amount of resources in this book are beneficial to anyone who has depression, and anyone who knows someone with depression. I also follow her online at "drdeborahserani.blogspot.com" and "psychologytoday.com". This book is a must have on your bookshelf !

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful Book, Extremely Insightful, January 10, 2013
This book was written by Deborah Serani, and I found it to be extremely helpful, full of informantion that is pertinant to our everyday lives, especially those of us battling depression. She gives wonderful examples, especially in dealing with her own depression, and I found that to be extremely relatable. It is full of technical information, in laymans terms, which I found very useful, and easy to understand. I have applied some of her ideas into my own life and found them to be extremely helpful. I would HIGHLY recommend this book to anyone who is dealing with depression and let it work for you.....it will. Congratulations Debbie, this is a well written, well rounded, wonderful book, which I thoroughly enjoyed reading, and the information you collected and explained was very insightful and useful to me in my own life. Kudos to you, my former Classmate. Congratulations on a job WELL DONE!!! Keep writing!!!! I look forward to your next book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Understanding Depression, April 16, 2013
I have never suffered from serious depression myself, but I have friends and family members, whom I love, who do. After I read Living with Depression I realized what a shallow understanding I had of what real depression is like. The combination of Dr. Serani's own story and the deep and clear explanations of the biology, sociology, and stigma that surround depression offer a comprehensive and compassionate picture that changed how I understand depression. It is a hopeful book that blends realities with practicalities and offers expert guidance. He writing style is clean, descriptive, and wonderfully clear. Since depression is so wide-spread, I think everyone would benefit from reading this book - whether you are the one with depression or the one who knows someone who is depressed, or the one who treats depressed clients.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›