Your Garage Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Brett Dennen Father's Day Gift Guide 2016 Fire TV Stick Get Ready for Summer and Save 15% Father's Day Gifts Amazon Cash Back Offer DrThorne DrThorne DrThorne  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Outdoor Recreation

on November 26, 2001
This is the first wellness book I've read that does an exemplary job in addressing the whole person. This book helped me not only with a common-sense, practical, do-able approach to diet and exercise, but also with developing a healthier approach to balancing life in general. McGinnis is also inspiring and motivating in her delivery of the material. Ready to get your life in order? Buy this book.
on October 31, 2001
Longterm health and fitness is comprised of much more than some magic fitness device or crash diet -- a premise that most of us instinctively know, but one that Ruth McGinnis has the guts (given the current state of pop culture) to celebrate.
Small, incremental and "do-able" lifestyle changes that encompass spiritual and emotional areas as well as diet and exercise, are the keys to overall success.
This is the most honest, reasonable, positive and common sense lifestyle book I've ever read. And the only one that has produced lasting results for me.
on November 25, 2003
Eventually, people will get sick and tired of fad restrictive diets. When they do, hopefully they will seek health rather than perfection. Ruth gives good advice that you can follow for the rest of your life and be at peace with your body. It's not a "quick fix" book, an overpromise, or a guilt trip. The author does not preach or lecture, she kindly advises you to look at the issues behind your health. Because of her experience as a personal trainer, you can trust the advice. It's an easy read, very practical, but it will challenge you as well.
on November 4, 2001
THIS IS A BEAUTIFULLY WRITTEN BOOK, OFFERING HOPE AND SENSIBLE SUGGESTIONS IN A TROUBLED WORLD. I FELT GUIDED TOWARD A LIFE OF INNER PEACE AND BALANCE. A MUST READ FOR ANYONE!
VINE VOICEon August 13, 2006
I met Ruth McGinnis back in 2001, when I received a copy of this book and her companion CD, "Songs for the Good Life." I've listened to the CD many times since then - the music is lovely! - but... I never did get around to fully reading the book. I had the usual excuses: I don't like self-help books. I don't need help. I don't have time. I'd flip through, read a bit here and there, and put it back down.

Thankfully, finally, I have read the entire book. I have begun doing the exercises recommended, and begun the slow process of improving my health through healthy eating. I have already been doing some of the other things recommended, such as looking for underlying causes of health issues and stress to address them.

The book is very well written, with simple, practical tips, interspersed with stories of her own life and that of her family - most especially her grandparents. A very sweet part of the book is two wedding photos - that of her grandparents on their wedding day, and that of Ruth and her husband John, on their wedding day - Ruth attired in the dress her grandmother made and wore.

Ruth shares her own struggle and process of making her way to health and happiness. She's very real and honest, and you can relate to what she has gone through. Although the book is faith-based, and Ruth mentions God quite a bit, it is never preachy or judgmental.

In person, Ruth is gracious and gentle and kind - she clearly lives by the concepts she presents in the book, and just as clearly wrote the book as a way to help others.

The only way the book could be improved is if Ruth had provided a handy-pull out "cheat sheet" with the top-line concepts, such as the list of exercises, the food recommendations and the other tips, that could be posted on the fridge, or in the bathroom, or bedroom, where it would be a quick reference guide. It would also be great if Ruth created a wellness journal as a companion.

Otherwise, highly recommended!