5.0 out of 5 stars A humble man tells a powerful story
Published 20 months ago by Perry M. Smith

2.0 out of 5 stars great story poorly written
While I have the utmost respect for sal giunta and his bravery and commitment to his comrades and his service to our great country, I don't think writing is his next calling. This book was s poorly written that it was difficult if not painful to get through the entire book. I got very tired of hearing about the 173rd as the only unit to have ever experienced combat and...
Published 2 months ago by dave v.

5.0 out of 5 stars A humble man tells a powerful story, December 6, 2012
Perry M. Smith (Augusta,, Ga. United States) - See all my reviews
One of the awesome responsibilities of someone who receives the Medal of Honor is representing all warriors who have served their country. Sal Giunta tells his story well in this memoir. Just as importantly, he understands the role he will play for the rest of his life. To quote him, "Every time the Medal of Honor comes up, I get patted on the back and thanked for my service and all I can do is politely say 'Thank you' and swallow what I really feel. How can I be so great if I allowed two of my friends to get killed? That comes with the territory, I guess. It is part of the responsibility of accepting the Medal of Honor and all that it represents. I understand more as time goes on that the medal stands for something much larger, something incredibly important, but it doesn't obscure the reality of what happened. " I highly recommend Staff Sergeant Sal Giunta book. His book along with Medal of Honor by Peter Collier and If Not Now, When? by Medal of Honor recipient Jack Jacobs make wonderful additions to the library anyone who is looking for outstanding role models.

5.0 out of 5 stars "SHAQ" GOLDSTEIN SAYS: "FOR EVERYONE WHO HAS FOUGHT & DIED. FOR EVERYONE WHO HAS MADE THE ULTIMATE SACRIFICE. I AM NOT A HERO", December 8, 2012
As an Honorably Discharged Viet Nam Era Veteran... I perhaps look at a book like this differently than most average citizens. In addition to wanting to learn more about the bravest of the brave that represent and defend our country... I also delve into these books with a few decidedly personal and selfish hopes and goals. One of my hopes is that when I read and learn about one of the rarefied few who have been honored with America's Highest Military Honor **THE-MEDAL-OF-HONOR**... such as Sal Giunta... that the story is presented in the true "voice" and personality of what this hero is... and was really like... before and after the event that led to the honor... and the personality and characteristics' of the award winner after this cherished presentation. Since I've always prided myself in being an everyday "street" guy raised by a Father who from the time I could walk and talk to **never-forget-where-you-came-from"... no matter how successful you might become... I hope to find that same innate trait in any of our nation's heroes.

Any potential reader who carries that same desire within them... whether they heretofore didn't realize it... or perhaps couldn't define that feeling they carried within their gut and soul up to the present... well then... this is the book for you. The author's words jump out at you... and wash over you as comfortably as if you're talking with your buddies on the street corner or walking down the halls of your high school. It brings back memories when you were in high school and you weren't interested in class but blended in and got along... but you knew you really enjoyed hitting people on the football field. You may have had trouble communicating with your parents... and another added beauty of the author is he doesn't deny it... nor does he try to use revisionist history to change the way he was.

Sal so aptly describes the initial shock of the total degradation that a teenager like he and myself faced the minute we arrived in basic training. He very quickly and intelligently grasps the fact that basic training is probably the biggest melting pot there is... and all the pushups... running... etc. isn't just for physical reasons... but for mental toughness when you're in battle and complaining won't help you.

On Sal's journey to **THE-MEDAL-OF-HONOR** there are numerous mistakes and pitfalls... and to Sal's credit they're not ignored. I also love the fact that Sal uses the language that young soldiers use. The type of language that a chaplain warned me and my platoon not to use before our first trip back home... and to make sure and not say the following at XMAS dinner: "Hey Mom could you pass the ***** salt!"

This is truly a soldier's story from "one of us" out on the streets of America. It's not from a West Point or Naval Academy graduate... but an everyday young man from Iowa who after working in a Krispy Kreme and a Subway Sandwich shop... "Signed up to fight for my country; to jump out of planes, shoot guns, and kill people. I signed up for the T-shirt. That's just the truth of it. But I got much more than I bargained for, in ways both good and bad."

He got two tattoos... and one of them he's not even sure what it is... it might have something to do with the Aztecs.

"If someone asks what it means, I tell them this:"

"IT MEANS I WAS SEVENTEEN AND STUPID."

Sal... I got one when I was nineteen and stupid!
Welcome home "Brother"... you represent us well!

5.0 out of 5 stars A Perfect Book!, December 7, 2012
Living with Honor is excellent on so many levels. You'll learn about those who volunteer to fight our wars. You'll learn how the war in Afghanistan is really fought. If your kids read it, they'll learn the value of their citizenship. If moms and dads read it, they'll learn to have faith in their kids. It's very well and tightly written, without a dull moment, and you can breeze through it in just a few hours, because you won't want to put it down. But most of all, you'll learn about Sal Guinta, a humble, American hero who excels at representing all of our country's heroes.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Page Turner....Finished in several hours, December 21, 2012
Well done, Giunta and all the servicemen and women who have sacrificed so much for our freedoms in this magnificent Country. I can't possibly fathom the hardships the men and women fighting in the Korengal Valley have had to endure. As a 20 year law enforcement officer in New Jersey, I have no military background but have nothing but respect, admiration and thanks for the soldiers fighting for my freedoms that we really do take for granted. Sal, I know you don't think you deserve the Medal of Honor and that you were only one piece of the puzzle doing his job that day, but you are a hero and one hell of a soldier. So too, are the men that fought beside you that day. Rest in Peace Josh Brennan and Doc Mendoza, the world is a better place because of you. You did not die in vain. God Bless all our military personnel and keep them safe, God Bless the soldiers of Battle Company, and God Bless the United States of America!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book., December 21, 2012
Janet Dietrich (MOUNT VERNON, IA, US) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Living with Honor: A Memoir (Kindle Edition)
I finished this book in just a couple days and I'm usually a slow reader. I think this book is wonderful in its simplicity. It is easy to read and tells a grueling but heartwarming story of a young man growing in to his own. It gives us much insight into the day to day experience of our men and women in the armed forces. Specialist Giunta tells his story with such humility. His book really is a tribute to the men and women who have sacrificed so much for our freedom.

5.0 out of 5 stars It was an honor to read, December 21, 2012
Thomas J. Madigan "Tommi2toes" (sault sainte marie,MI,49783,USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Living with Honor: A Memoir (Kindle Edition)
As a 66 year old VietNam veteran and a Marine the book brings back many good and bad memories of the war.I spent 13 months some 30 miles NorthEast of the area in the book, so I am very familar with area and terrain in the book. The book is so well written and true that at times I could feel myself wanting to dive for cover. This book really lets the reader know and fell what VietNam was really like. The reader really gets to see how men in combat care for each other.

5.0 out of 5 stars "I have never given everything. Sergeant Joshua Brennan gave everything.", December 28, 2012
A very well-written book by an incredibly humble human being. Staff Sergeant Sal Giunta provides the reader with a very candid glimpse into the profound struggles endured by our servicemen in the Korengal Valley. He also details the events of his life leading up to entering the Army, as well as the training he went through in preparation for deployment to Afghanistan. This is a very powerful book that reminds the reader of the incredible sacrifices made by those in uniform during war.

I had the honor of meeting this fellow (native) Iowan recently. While I have met a number of celebrities and politicians in my life, none of those experiences hold a candle to meeting Staff Sergeant Giunta. I would trade meeting every celebrity/politician on Earth to talk to him again. A truly humbling experience.

The Medal of Honor notwithstanding, Staff Sergeant Giunta is the epitome of what, in my mind, is a good human being. Thank you, Sal - and all others currently/formerly in uniform - for your service. Please read this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars What It Is Really Like, February 8, 2013
This review is from: Living with Honor: A Memoir (Kindle Edition)
If you want to know what our combat arms soldiers have faced and continue to face in Afghanistan read this book. SSG Giunta gives you a wonderful perspective of what our soldiers are like, how they are motivated, what their training is like and what they face on a daily basis in combat. It is written in the language of an articulate soldier who captures the essence of what it means to be an infantryman in a difficult and brutal war. The author is probably the most humble hero you will ever meet and tells his story, warts and all, in a way that keeps reading on. As a combat soldier myself, this guy is for real.

5.0 out of 5 stars A book even non-military persons need to read., December 20, 2012
This review is from: Living with Honor: A Memoir (Kindle Edition)
Even though I am not a military buff, I found this book to be very interesting. It gave me great insights and a deeper appreciation of the actions and experiences of our noble, brave men and women who protect us 24/7. I was never aware of the everyday, every minute courage these soldiers experience. I can better understand the stresses in transporting from the battlefield to homeland.

5.0 out of 5 stars Humility, February 9, 2013
Whether you know the story of Sal Giunta's military service or not, you're likely to be inspired by his memoir, Living with Honor. Sal is the first living recipient of the Medal of Honor since the end of the Vietnam War. In this finely written memoir, Sal tells the story of his life and service with modesty and humility. I think he uses "team" or "teamwork" far more often that references to his own actions. He humbly says that he did what any soldier would have done in the same situation. Read this memoir and then buy more copies for others.

Rating: Five-star (I loved it)

Living with Honor: A Memoir