5.0 out of 5 stars Reading it again and again since 1984
Published on June 4, 2000 by Sunil Govinnage

3.0 out of 5 stars Deeply Optimistic.
Published on August 11, 2006 by SUPPORT THE ASPCA.

5.0 out of 5 stars Reading it again and again since 1984, June 4, 2000
This review is from: Living Loving and Learning (Paperback)
I first learnt about Dr Leo Buscaglia and his works in May 1984 when I received the wonderful gift of the book, `Living, Loving and Learning' from my then boss and life-time mentor Fred Davis while working in Colombo, Sri Lanka. Although I studied and grew up in a culture which had given me some knowledge into all three concepts covered in the book, I found it to be a useful resource kit. I have read the book so many times since 1984 and still reading it again and again.
In May 1984, I was young, strong, irrational and did not fully grasp the value of love and or human relations but I thought I knew about living and learning. I received the book just three months before our daughter was born and realised the important of `love' as a `behaviour modifier'. Ever since, I have learnt many other things from this book as well from other sources. Dr Buscaglia writes about love and the importance of giving as well as receiving this unexplainable desire from the time of our birth to death. Now I know that life is nothing but a journey of seeking, giving and rejection of love.
A few months ago our daughter was very down, apparently due to the pains of growing up. Perhaps I would have been a major party in that process. May be she had peer pressure which she didn't want to communicate with me. Perhaps she thought that I was not listening to her needs (and I still do that mistake)!. When she was very down, I approached and `tactfully demanded' her (like many parents do) to read the book. I even highlighted the section that she should read. A few days later she returned the book and said: "Dad, this book has a lot of what you always talk about!". She smiled and thanked me. It was a very precious moment in my life. Then only I realised how much I have unconsciously acquired Dr Buscaglia's wisdom over the years despite still making mistakes as an adult as well as a parent.
Now, getting closer to my mid-life, after having travelled round the world, up-rooted myself and my family from our country of origin, receiving and perhaps not receiving enough love as a behaviour modifier, I still read the book because I am still growing up.
I am at a point in my life where love and affection as Dr Buscaglia defined in this book are much needed for my further growth and development. Now I am learning the need to care, respect and love everyone I live and work with, meet, talk or write sometimes even seeing them at all! Dr Buscaglia cites a good example in this book where he had not cared enough for a student who he thought was learning well in one of his undergraduate classes. He assumed that he was communicating well with this student because she sat in front of him, smiled when he emphasised something and took down notes carefully. He writes: "Then one day she stopped coming... and I kept looking for her... Finally, I checked with the Dean...and she said, `Haven't you heard?'" Dr Buscaglia learnt that the student had killed herself by jumping off a cliff. He writes: "It bothers me still and I thought to myself--what are we doing stuffing facts at people and forgetting that they are people, that they are human beings?"
This book is not about stuffing facts or giving us just citations from psychology or sociology books. He shares the wisdom he has gathered from several sources on `Living, Loving and Learning'. This book is a guide to help us to be good human beings. For those who only want to read new world stuff may think that this book is a bit of an old fashion or just a basic one. Yes, it is a basic guide for us to be good human beings.
That's why I am still reading this book 16 years after receiving it from my mentor. That's why I am still sharing the knowledge I gained from it with those who are closer to my heart wherever they live. Because I had the gift of receiving books, I always returned the same to those I love very much. Recently, I gave a gift of books to a person that I have never met because of that person's loving qualities and wisdom shared with me despite my colour, creed, race and age! Now I regret that I could not include this book in my gift pack.
For me this book is still a one sure way of `Living, Loving and Learning'.
Just read it!
Sunil Govinnage
June 2000

5.0 out of 5 stars Leo Buscaglia Continually Delivers Insight Into Love, October 30, 2004
I just discovered Leo Buscaglia and it has been like

looking in the mirror and seeing someone just like

me looking back - I don't mean physically, I mean

in his heart and sould and my heart and soul.

I come to this review with that energy - a whole

hearted belief in the wisdom of Buscaglia's words,

vision. It is my wholehearted desire that these

messages and similar messages continue to grow.

This book is a compilation of transcripts of many

talks given by Dr. Buscaglia. In reading the words,

you will feel as if he is addressing you personally.

You will laugh (and cry) at his stories, be challenged

by his insights and be inspired by his presence

on the written page.

One of my favorite chapters is "Teach Life" - where

in his true form, he shares about his love for

Valentine's Day, his most informative role models

and how the truth of a sacred Sufi story still

rings true in today's world.

The chapter "Bridges, Not Barriers" is also excellent

and rang so familiar, it was as if Buscaglia was

walking around in my brain... and since he is no

longer on the physical plane... well, you just never

know! *wink*

One of quotes from the book is found on page 73:

"Knowledge is not wisdom! Learning alone is not

wisdom. Wisdom is the application of knowledge and

facts. Wisdom is realizing you know nothing. Wisdom

is saying, "My mind is open. Wherever I am, I am just

beginning. There is more to be realized by a hundred

fold than what I know". That is the

beginning of wisdom.

This is a book you will be glad you own. You can

literally open to any page and find a gold nugget.

Buscaglia simply delivers love over and over

and over again.

5.0 out of 5 stars You can�t get too many hugs, February 1, 2000
This review is from: Living Loving and Learning (Paperback)
When Leo Buscaglia died, the heading on his obituary in the newspaper read " Hug doctor dies". Leo would have had a good laugh on that one. Leo could sure make you laugh. I loved listening to him on PBS and have read most of his books. I remember on one show he was sharing how when he published his book "Love", he check out the published books and there was not one book called "Love". He was so amazed that he made this his life's work, to love and be loved. All teachers should be given his book "Living, Loving & Learning". It would put everything in the right perspective. You can't teach students without first giving them respect. To get respect you have to give respect. Thank you Leo Buscaglia for making this world a better place.

3.0 out of 5 stars Deeply Optimistic., August 11, 2006
This review is from: Living Loving and Learning (Paperback)
This book can touch someone on all levels. It consists of inspirational, humorous, and yes naive lectures the author gave from 1970-81. I found the two most important chapters to be, "Thats Where The Light Is, and Choose Life." The former gives insights to the importance of living in the present and shows that we need not fear death, if we have lived. The latter details some sorry statistics about our society and how we as individuals can choose to make our lives better. The brief story of the leopard shows the positive aspect of passion. A good upbeat book that can raise ones spirits.

5.0 out of 5 stars Discover what truly is important............people, May 10, 2001
This review is from: Living Loving and Learning (Paperback)
Leo Buscaglia, who I must say I have adored for over a decade now is an instrument in leading those of us here on earth into a world of hope and love. I must say that I have been using his resources as a therapist, for myself and my clients, and prefer to have audios, if possible; I love hearing his voice.
At any rate, this book is an eye opener for those of us who have gotten lost in life and need to slow down to smell the roses and enjoy the life we have, while we have it. Dr. Buscaglia delivers a down to earth, nearly physically touchable experience of how it feels to truly live your life loving and learning. Moreover, he defines what a lover and student of life will experience if they make that transition.
I would urge anyone who is either at the end of their rope and needing a knot to put in their rope, in order to hold on, to buy this book. If possible, get the audio and experience his exhuberant spirit.
Dr. Buscaglia still lives on today to me, and like he stated several times over, that when he dies he does not want people to cry, he wants them to celebrate. What better way to celebrate than to continue to pass his message on to others.
I've worked with geriatric patients and found my women's group to love his PBS videos, which if I could find and buy, would do so in a New York minute. And most importantly, I try to use his philosophy when I find it needed, in my own life, passing it on to my children, family, and friends.
Robin

5.0 out of 5 stars Reference book for life, February 22, 2002
Gerald (London, London United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Living Loving and Learning (Paperback)
A friend loaned me this book in the mid to late eighties. I was stunned with Buscaglia's honesty. He stated my fears and observations of life and allowed me to rise above myself and live a life in love. I still have the copy my friend gave me, which fell apart long along, and purchased copies to keep around for reference. To this day, this book still outlines the way I believe life should be led and I can't think how miserable and confusing my life would have been had I not received this book. I owe my clarity and enjoyment of life to the fact I have read this book. This is the book I would take to my desert island.
Thank you Leo.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Works to pass on..., April 26, 2001
"intentaccess" (Boca Raton, Florida USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Living Loving and Learning (Paperback)
I agree with the reviewer who stated she has bought so many copies of this book. This is truly a book you do purchase for everybody, just like Leo passed on his works to us even after his death. This is a book everybody needs to have a copy of. The doctor who thought hugs cured all and really there is alot of truth to that one. I had somebody once tell me that people just don't touch each other enough...and that is true. This book will touch your heart and the heart of who you give it too. Don't pass this book up or you would regret it!

5.0 out of 5 stars This book changed my life, December 7, 1999
This review is from: Living Loving and Learning (Paperback)
I read it six years ago. When I was reading I didn't want to it to end, I tried to elongate it, rationing it to myself. I was filled with such love, such light and such life while I was reading it. Now looking back, I've realised how much of my life has been shaped book. I now laugh more, live more and am exploring my humanity. I've been to more strange and wonderful places, such as China to teach during my Gap year. I've been striving to touch those around me, and love myself. My life now has more colour and joy because of this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Are there any other people like Leo around anymore?, August 1, 2002
WOW. What a passionate human being. Please, please, listen to his tapes, read his books, check out any of his videotaped conferences from the local library. This man is contagious, but it starts with you. What a great read. It's a shame that more people haven't embraced his view. I can only hope.

5.0 out of 5 stars Unique Man, July 1, 2005
This review is from: Living Loving and Learning (Paperback)
Buscaglia was like no other man. He wasn't afraid to make his love and idealism visible for ALL to see. He worked hard to help many see the wonderful possibilies in life. This world could use more hugging. Leo, thanks for your kindness and for all the love you spread around the world.

Living Loving and Learning
Living Loving and Learning by Leo F. Buscaglia (Paperback - October 12, 1983)
$14.95 $12.34