Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Valentine's Day Shop Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Chi-Raq easycohice_2016 All-New Amazon Fire TV Beauty V-Day Valentine's Day Cards Amazon Gift Card Offer chiraq chiraq chiraq  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Prime Exclusive Savings in Video Games Shop Now Sale

on March 13, 2013
With a book titled "Living Low Carb" one would expect the subject to be on how to forge a low carbohydrate, life long diet suitable for different lifestyles. But this isn't the case. The author, who is unquestionably an expert in his field (nutrition), mostly gives an good overview of benefits of a generic low carbohydrate diet and then proceeds to discuss all the information (in print, the internet) out there on popular low carb diets (Atkins, etc). He is very opinionated, with being unkind and funny in equal measure. Although all of this was quite interesting it wasn't what I was looking for from this book.

Bottom line: sort of an oddball critique of low carb mania. Yet probably a worthwhile read for nutrition professionals.
11 comment13 of 13 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 10, 2010
Wow, I spent all weekend reading this book. It is extensive in the history and science behind low carb eating. It goes into great detail that sometimes left me a little overwhelmed but I still appreciated having it there to try and absorb. It might take a few readings to really get all the science. I think it is just a great book to have that also covers all the low carb plans out there today and some older ones too. I suppose I wish there was a spreadsheet of some sort comparing them all but other then that there are pretty extensive reviews on all the plans. You can then go on to pursue those plans individually that you interested in. Just a really great comprehensive low carb book! I will refer to it over and over.
0Comment24 of 27 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 29, 2010
If you're a low-carb diet skeptic or already believer you'll find this book is filled with the information you need to make up your mind. The history of low-carb diets chapter is an interesting read and the chapters on why low-carb diets work are easy to follow and understand. The 50 tips to make low-carb work for you are very informative and I'll be surprised if you don't jot down a few of them for yourself. Finally I loved the summaries of the 38 low-carb diets. You'll quickly come to undertand what each of these diets stresses and you'll be able to zero in on the one's that will work for you.
on March 20, 2011
As a female medical doctor I have battled against many colleagues to get this info to my patients and have it help them for over 15 years. Now, even my HMO patients are finally agreeing to try to manage their health with 'alternative and natural' approaches... with the help of reading books like this. The rewards are plenty from practicing medicine this way and have my patients giving me the "high five" on a daily basis. I love practicing medicine this way for all of my patients. This medicine is no longer only for 'the rich and famous' that I've treated for over 15 years! Kudos to all who continue to expand my patients minds and let them now come to me asking for these types of treatments instead of me having to convince them this stuff really works! DRMARAIO.COM
on July 18, 2011
I have read several books on low carb or ketogenic diets including Lyle McDonald's The Ketogenic Diet, Atkin's New Diet Revolution, 30-day Low Carb Solution by Eades and a couple of others. This one by Johnny Bowden definitely holds its own. It has a well-written but understandable history of low carb dieting and the biochemistry involved in it. A valuable section which I haven't seen in other books is a no-holds-barred review of other popular diet and exercise programs. Bowden is also not adverse to discussing the possible negative consequences of going low carb although I believe almost all of those issues can be mitigated. If you are considering going on a low carb diet I strongly recommend this book to give you sound foundation for how they work and to help pick a specific one to follow.
on August 17, 2010
You will learn everything you ever wanted to know about living a low carb lifestyle. This book has SO much information. I will just mention two things in the book that really helped me. I never realized how many of my health issues were the result of too many carbs...I mean other than my weight gain. I suffered from food allergies, inflammation, joint pain, low energy, headaches and most annoying my eyes were always running when I laid down...like I was crying...just excess mucus. After reading the first part of the book I now understand. The other thing that the book is so valuable for is the review of over thirty low-carb diets and how to choose which one is best for you. I am so thankful that Dr. Bowden wrote this life saving book.
on December 16, 2009
I thought I knew everything there was to know about the low-carb lifestyle. Jonny Bowden re-educated me via this book. I had no idea low-carb had been around for over 100 years because I believed what too many people had been saying about it being a "fad" diet. He offers compelling evidence to the contrary. Having lived the lifestyle for years, I knew in my heart that it is a totally healthy way to live. I have the blood lipid profiles to prove it. I applaud Jonny for his ability to put that very message across in an easy-to-understand, entertaining and well-researched manner. I found myself laughing out loud in parts! After reading the book, I am now armed with the information I need to keep the non-believers at bay, and maybe even convert a few! Additionally, I have any number of low-carb plans to choose from based on his helpful reviews and research!
0Comment23 of 27 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 13, 2010
I bought this book for the section which lists 38 various diet methods. It is wonderful for much more than that.

A decade ago I read three diet books, from which I compiled a low carb diet to match my ability. I lost weight, my stomach flattened and I had a bonus of energy.

My hesitation to purchase "Living Low Carb" was due to my extensive past reading and study on the subject. Dr. Bowden goes far beyond my expectations of boring repetition! It all seems fresh. He has a comfortable, personable writing style which makes one feel as though they are speaking with a friend.

Highly recommended. I've known for a long time that low carb is the most sensible of all diet methods. It is a thrill to have this book available to carry the torch.
on December 29, 2010
I read it quickly and I loved it. Low fat diets are not helping America in the slightest. All this sugar is atrocious. Ask any dentist! Many children's teeth in our country are corroding before they get their permanent ones. Disgusting! I am on board. I have read the Atkins and South Beach diet books in the past. I also lost 25 pounds in the past doing the South Beach diet for 8 months. I wish I never would have slipped back into a typical ADA recommended diet. I have gained all of that weight back in the past 4 years and now look like a typical American woman. I liked the level of science behind the "claims" in this book. After reading it, I have recommitted myself to a low carb lifestyle. Thanks!
on July 14, 2013
Very pleased with this book overall. As some have noted, the entire middle section is taken up with comparisons of the various low carb diets out there. That was OK but I must admit I did not read all of them.

The best features of this book are that the information is presented in a very readable and entertaining way, and that the author does not advocate for any specific form of low-carb diet. There are occasional plugs for his own stuff, but not tons. The parts which discuss why low carb works, and Chapter 12 which explains how to do low carb without following somebody's "program" were the best for us. My husband who would never have dragged his way through some of the drier low-carb books out there, read and enjoyed the relevant bits of this book.

After about three weeks, we have both lost several pounds. I wasn't even intending to lose any, started at 128 lbs! We are eating tasty food, not counting calories, never hungry and eating more veggies than ever. Plus no midday shakiness from blood sugar drops. Really, what's not to like about an eating plan that tells you to eat lots of avocados, olive oil, colorful veggies, nuts, tasty meat and fish, not to fear butter, etc? Nom nom nom.

For those wondering, this is not a recipe book...no recipes to be seen. It is a why and how book. I did buy a recipe book but really it comes down to: make meat or fish main dish, don't serve anything high-carb with it, make a colorful plate, cook with some healthy oils/fats. So if you already know how to cook, you may be better off just surfing the internet for low-carb recipes.