Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Living Nonviolent Communication: Practical Tools to Connect and Communicate Skillfully in Every Situation
Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Explore Premium Audio Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro STEM

on October 5, 2012
This book does not contain any new material from Marshall Rosenberg,

Rather it is a compilation of the 6 short books:
We can work it out
Being me, loving you
Getting past the pain between us
The Surprising Purpose of Anger
Raising Children Compassionately
Practical Spirituality

If you have some or most of these books (I had 4) this probably isn't a grab unless you have people you want to pass them onto.

I would also prefer it hadn't excluded one of these short books entitled:
" The Heart of Social Change: How to Make a Difference in Your World. "
and merged into the child rearing section "Teaching Children Compassionately: How Students and Teachers Can Succeed with Mutual Understanding (Nonviolent Communication Guides)"
as I do not own those two, they seemed an unnecessary ommission for this compilation

If you don't have many or any of the books in this compilation then this is a great grab to suppliment Nonviolent Communication as it is full of transcriptions of role-plays where you can see the method at work. Of course the best way to learn NVC is to practice it yourself but these conversations can help you learn how.
33 comments|108 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 26, 2012
Living Nonviolent Communication is more than a guide to good communication. It is a guide to a new way of living that can heal and transform relationships of all types. Author and clinical psychologist, Marshall Rosenberg, has created a process of communication that brings practitioners out of the reactions of their past and into the present moment so they may respond to the current situation in a peaceful way. Nonviolent communication is a method that suggests deciphering the needs behind any reaction or emotion and responding empathically, so ideally all parties involved in any type of dispute may find peace. This book not only outlines the process of nonviolent communication, but also provides readers with role playing examples in areas such as healing and reconciliation, loving relationships, and working with anger, so they may further understand how it can be used in a real conversation.

While reading this book I had several "aha" moments where everything seemed to click and I could see how I can apply this in my everyday life. I did struggle with the some of the language in the role-playing as it felt somewhat scripted and unnatural, but I can certainly see the benefits of practicing this type of communication. In a world where war is considered a solution to conflict and violence seems to be a way of life for some, nonviolent communication is greatly needed. I invite readers to explore an alternative to our traditional conflict resolution methods in Living Nonviolent Communication
on April 22, 2014
All of Rosenberg's short but pithy books present invaluable tools for helping others (and ourselves) resolve conflicts in a transformative way. As a life coach, leadership trainer, consultant and mediator, I have often seen clients hoping for more than just a compromise or reluctant agreement to end hostilities.Rosenberg's books give step by step procedures to guide one through helping others reach a safe place where each participant can know s/he is being heard and understood and to develop the same skill to hear and understand and respect others. That first step is followed by learning how to value what others are feeling, to know and value what oneself is feeling and to work together from that space to transform the conversation into one of respect and healing. The key is to create an emotionally safe place for that to happen. In this book there are tools to help any reader learn how to present oneself in a way that is not threatening and does allow one to open up to hearing and understanding others with the goal of making peace and being peace and to assist others in reaching that place as well. An invaluable tool!
on February 11, 2014
If I can live Non Violent Communication the way it is presented, I mean, this is how I've envisioned myself to be! I knew there was a way I can live harmoniously with everyone and deal with my anger more peacefully. I wanted to always live like this and if we can all live like this, there won't be a war. I can clearly envision a world now in hundreds years from now where there is no crime, and all conflicts can be resolved peacefully.

This author to me is a living angel!
on January 24, 2015
I've purchased a number of books that were written to help improve one's life and relationships, but I usually read a chapter or two and lose interest because I feel like I'm doing homework. This book, on the other hand, is fascinating to me, and a pleasure to read.

Nonviolent communication is pretty simple at its core, but far, far from simple to put into practice. That's where Dr. Rosenberg really shines--he works interactively with people to teach how to put this form of being into practice. People will present him with problems they're having, and Dr. Rosenberg will show how to apply NVC through examples, role-play and humor. This practical approach helps me understand how I can begin to apply NVC in my life.

What really gives me the feeling of a light turning on in my head is seeing how NVC isn't something new--it's how we function as people until we learn at a very young age to immediately evaluate, analyze, judge, criticize and so forth. NVC is about learning to recognize when this judging interferes with getting our needs met and hearing the needs of others. Once we remember to recognize this, we naturally begin to use NVC. It's not easy to change lifelong habits, but Marshall shows how we can do it.
on August 1, 2012
Excellent stories, though they seem to be copied from the earlier published NVC booklets. Though if someone hadn't already purchased the booklets, this is likely a better value.
on June 15, 2014
It is amazing how we violently address all things including our own communication with ourselves while expecting nonviolent results to follow. The arrogance we display in expressing our own truth is done in a violent manner without concern for peace and consideration of any other/thing.
on March 14, 2013
Living NVC appears to be six of Marshall Rosenbergs previous books, each based on Q&A at conferences and each focused on a different theme. Each book seems to have become a chapter. So that's the "Bargain" part.

I found the Q&A format refreshing, easy to follow and full of useful insights for my path and those of many I know.

Bought a copy for my Kindle reader and three more for my wife and friends.
on November 25, 2012
Rosenberg's ideas about communication are radical and wonderful and when I apply them, my relationships are far more loving and sweet.
on July 27, 2013
I love this book. It was highly recommended to me and I wanted it quickly so I bought the kindle version. I would recommend the book over the kindle. It is about realizing that all human behaviors, the good, the bad and the ugly, are motivated by our needs. M Rosenberg gives lots of specific interactions as examples of how people can use non violent communication skills to state their needs and how to use nonviolent communication skills to hear what the other person is saying as a statement of his needs rather than hearing it as an attack or a judgement. Yes I recommend.