Automotive Deals HPCC Shop Women's Clothing Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer showtimemulti showtimemulti showtimemulti  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports

on January 16, 2011
I ordered a pack of these seeds from this seller several months ago, of which I managed to get exactly 5 to sprout. I've worked with succulents before, but never lithops, so I consider this to be an acceptable germination rate.

Sprouting cacti and succulents is fairly intensive work. Do not undertake this project unless you can devote time to your plants at least twice a day, several minutes a day, for several weeks.

0) Cactus/succulent seeds are almost microscopic. Plant them in calm, windless conditions, and don't use your fingers (the seeds will stick). Treat them carefully, do not let them be disturbed while germinating (they are exceptionally fragile), and be patient with them - it will take weeks or months before they grow to a visible size.

1) Succulent seeds are most easily germinated indoors, under a constant artificial light (any regular fluorescent light is great at this - just take care to prevent the lamp from getting wet during watering). Protect young plants from high heat and evaporation, as sprouts are quite vulnerable to drying out (at least compared to mature succulents).

2) Succulent seeds should be planted within about the uppermost 1-3 mm of soil. Plant them much deeper and they won't be able to reach the light.

3) Succulent seeds and sprouts should only ever be watered with a mister or spray bottle. Use about 3-10 sprays per square inch of soil (equivalent to roughly 1-3 teaspoons of water). Do this however often is necessary to keep the soil slightly moist, even 2-3 times per day if necessary. If you find yourself having to do this too often, consider covering your sprouts with a glass lid to slow the rate of evaporation. (Make sure to take the lid off for at least several minutes every day - plants need air too.) Once the sprouts are a bit larger (about 2mm diameter), you can water them less frequently (you should also remove the glass lid at this point, if you used one) - although they will still need water once or twice a week, the sprouts should now be MUCH hardier against heat and aridity.

4) Succulent seeds are almost microscopic (I already said this, but it bears repeating). They need to absorb tens of thousands of times their original volume in water before they can even be called "tiny." It will take a long time to establish them - even after a year they will still be quite small. For lithops (living stones), this will take more than a week and even up to two months, depending on conditions. This is why you must be PATIENT - there will be a long phase while your plants are virtually invisible and yet extremely vulnerable. You will need to be meticulous about caring for your plants during this phase, even if it seems as though you're just tending a pot of sand and dirt.

5) Succulents are usually adapted to low-quality, sandy soil with very good drainage, and lithops are not an exception. I recommend a mixture of about 30% potting soil and 70% washed sand for the uppermost half-inch of bedding, and about 50/50 sand/soil for the remaining bedding.
66 comments| 87 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 27, 2008
Great quality of seed. I had 11 germinate, growing very slowly so I don't know the quality of the plants yet, but that part is up to me. Great quality of seeds.
on July 6, 2008
I cannot keep these things alive. I have good luck with plants generally, but these are just awful. It seems that no matter how often or seldom I water them, where I move them in my house. They all go squishy and melt. Good luck if you try them. I am not a fan.
on March 22, 2008
But the plant never grew. But I'll order the actual plant soon. They are worth having and are very unusual. I saw them in a grocery store once and didn't buy them. What a mistake.
on July 2, 2008
Misted once a week, after four weeks, nothing came out. I bought the same plant from local botanic Garden for $4.
on May 26, 2016
I tired really hard to do everything by the book when planting these seeds. I cut hole in the bottom of a lidded Applebees take out container, filled it with cactus potting soil mixed with perlite (50/50) then planted the seeds very shallowly in the dirt. I put the container on a window sill so it could get some light but sometime during that night my cat got curious and knocked the container onto the floor. I had given up the seeds for lost but started watering them ever day (light spritzes with a spray bottle) and kept it it on my front porch and two weeks later I see two little seedlings! I am so excited!
on October 30, 2014
I was new to growing lithops and had always been interested in trying them myself. I did plenty of careful research on growing them before I planted the seeds, but only 2 came up and they died within a few months. Afterwards I happened to find some at Walmart. I bought 4 and those all died within several months as well.
So I'm giving it the benefit of the doubt and giving the seller a 4. If I had the right touch maybe more seeds would have produced.
I'm an experienced plant grower and can grow just about every house plant I've encountered. I guess lithops just isn't one of them.
on May 3, 2013
The seed were received very soon after ordering. The seed are very slow to emerge. The small plants were very slow growing for me. I had problems growing them but it probably was my problem and not due to the quality of the seed. I will try again next winter.
on January 7, 2013
I recieved these very quickly and was happy about that. Still waiting for growth. One has started to show, so im excited. My friends are already asking if i'll share once they are large enough.

edit:
finally showing some growth and are doing well. Im very happy.
on October 23, 2012
These super, super tiny seeds were so hard to plant and there were no instruction with the them. Found some general instructions on-line, but some instruction or helpful hints from the seller would of been nice. These are the smallest things I have ever seen. I realize that I ordered 10 seeds but because these tiny seeds are so hard to plant, a few extra seeds would of been nice. There really was only 10 seeds per bag. Honestly this (dot) . is bigger than a lithops seed. The seeds came in small clear bags, which was great because you could see the tiny little things. But there was so much static in the little bags that I could not get the seeds out of the bags. Finally pushed the seeds all in a corner with a toothpick and poked a hole in the bag to try and get the tiny seeds into the soil, I think??? The good news is I get to wait 3 weeks or more before I will know if any of the tiny seeds actually got planted or not. I am just going to order some LIVE plants next time. I really consider this order a waste of time and money!! I am really disappointed with this purchase.

See 1 answered question