4.0 out of 5 stars Not my favorite, but not my least favorite
I like this album, I really do. I am one of 'those' LP fans who wish for the Hybrid Theory days and I know that's not going to happen. I came to terms with it. It's a 12 step process. ANYHOW.

Published on July 30, 2012 by KitsuneA

3.0 out of 5 stars 5/10 - Hear me out (2.5/5)
Note: I understand that I will probably get a lot of negative votes based on my score, but try and read it to see where I'm coming from before you hit the "No" button.

Published on July 8, 2012 by J. Richardson

4.0 out of 5 stars Not my favorite, but not my least favorite, July 30, 2012
This review is from: Living Things (Audio CD)

That being said, I think this album, TO ME, was like having a craving for ice cream but getting frozen yogurt instead. Still pretty good but not quite what you have in mind.

I like the album but it sounds a little funky and I can't quite put my finger on why. I've listened to it about 5 or 6 times through now and I really. really. REALLY. want to love it but I can't. If you are a fan of the old LP you may have mixed emotions about it, like me. If you really liked the last album you will probably enjoy it a little more.

But, I will say, a SOLID album and worth a buy if you are a LP fan.

In the end (no pun intended), whenever I want to hear old LP I listen to old LP and I am still just as happy as the day I first popped in Hybrid Theory. So I guess I don't really need a new-old album anyways!

4.0 out of 5 stars Linkin Park lives on in Living Things, June 29, 2012
This review is from: Living Things (Audio CD)
I was one of the seemingly few people who stuck up for Linkin Park when they released their 3rd album in 2007, "Minutes To Midnight." I could admit that "Hybrid Theory" and "Meteora" had been much better albums, but I was glad to see the band try new things; something they would have to do lest their fans become bored with a fading genre. However, in 2010 I completely rejected "A Thousand Suns," not because it was different (I wanted them to take some risks) but because it seemed like a mess. The songs didn't flow together, and a lot of moments just seemed like noise. After my expectations were gone, I eventually grew to appreciate several tracks from that album, in fact I'd say it was some of their smartest material yet. It was enough to make me bite for one more album, which brings us to "Living Things."

It's funny, back in 2009 the band released a song called "New Divide" for the Transformers sequel. At that time they were working on "A Thousand Suns" and they stressed several times that "New Divide" was not any kind of indication of how their upcoming album would sound. The reason that's funny to me is become I think it was a very big indication of how THIS album sounds. In fact the first single, "Burn It Down," is almost like the same song. The format of the song is pretty basic, but I think it has a strong chorus that people at concerts could sing along to. I would very much describe "Living Things" as the missing link between "Minutes To Midnight" and "A Thousand Suns." It's sort of a mix of everything they've done so far. So while it may not show Linkin Park evolving in any specific direction, it does offer a variety to keep things interesting. "Lost In The Echo" sets the tone for the album and isn't unlike what you would expect after hearing the first single, but it is catchy. "Lies Greed Misery" has some great rapping from Mike Shinoda and a wicked chorus from Chester Bennington. I love when these guys trade vocals back and forth rather than handling it solo. "Castle Of Glass" is likely to be a single, it's a melodic tune that isn't bad but I also didn't find it very memorable after my first 2 listens so far. "Victimized" is very short but it's fast and more raw than anything the band has done in many years. "Until It Breaks" is fun because the song makes several unexpected yet welcome changes. Overall, this is a strong album from LP, and I think fans stuck in the the "Hybrid Theory" days will like this one at least a tiny bit more than their last 2 albums. I denied this album a 5th star because there's still some filler material on here, but probably less than the last 2 albums had. Nice job, Linkin Park.

4.0 out of 5 stars Another fantastic album, March 11, 2013
This review is from: Living Things (MP3 Music)
Great album, and easily recommended to be replayed. It's a testiment and throwback in the sense that this album if made to be listened to in it's entirety. There are a few great tracks on this album, but you'd be doing yourself a disservice without listening to the entire thing in order.

5.0 out of 5 stars Different sound, but great quality as always, June 19, 2013
This review is from: Living Things (Audio CD)
It seems as if Linkin Park's music changes with every album, and this is no exception. They've definitely kept up the top quality music they're known for. The album has 12 tracks, comes with a free one month trial of LP Underground (or at least mine did) and the front cover booklet includes lyrics for all the tracks. So many various new instruments are integrated and each song delivers something different to your ears. Chester still shouts, as always, and Mike returns with his top notch raps. Every song on this CD got my attention and the more I listen to it the more I fall in love with it. Every LP fan should appreciate Living Things. I've been a long time fan and they have yet to disappoint me.

4.0 out of 5 stars Another Winner!, August 4, 2012
Steven Haarala (Mandeville, LA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Living Things (Audio CD)
I have all 5 Linkin Park albums. I am happy that their musical style has changed through the years, because I would not want 5 albums that sound the same. This album seems to be a compromise, about half of it sounding like "Hybrid Theory" and "Meteora", and the other half having the evolved sound of "Minutes To Midnight" and "A Thousand Suns". Of the ballads, "Burn It Down" is probably the best. "Roads Untraveled" is a little tame, although very pretty. "Until It Breaks" is a more complex song in the mold of the ones on "A Thousand Suns". Of the louder rock tracks, the best are "Lost In The Echo", "Lies Greed Misery" and "Victimized". There are 2 tracks that stand out because they don't quite fit into any category: "Castle Of Glass" and "Skin To Bone". I think that all this variety was an attempt to please as many of their fans as they could. This resulted in a good album but one which lacks the impact of an album like "A Thousand Suns", which was a unified concept album and deviated from the mainstream about as far as a pop/rock album could go. Still, the music is excellent, there is lots of emotion, and the vocals are as good as ever, so I would call "Living Things" another successful album.

5.0 out of 5 stars Linkin Park has definitely matured., May 30, 2013
This review is from: Living Things (Audio CD)
Upon listening to their debut album, I realized just how accustomed I've grown to the band's new sound. Or really, their sound has always been about the same, but the intricacies, work, melodies, have all become more complex and professional. Let's face it, Hybrid Theory is clearly a rap-rock album for emotional teens. It's great, but it's wore out over the years. I believe this CD brings us back the polish of the Meteora album, the energy of Hybrid Theory, the experimentation of Minutes to Midnight, and the techno dance feel of A Thousand Suns. When the band says they mixed their previous albums' efforts into one album, they hit the nail on the head. Whether you are an old LP fan, new LP fan, or both, you're gonna enjoy this album!

5.0 out of 5 stars LP on white vinyl!, December 22, 2012
Undisputed Eric (Lewiston, ME USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Living Things (Vinyl)
Linkin Park had 3,000 copies of LIVING THINGS pressed on 125 gram white vinyl, complete with inserts displaying both the album artwork and lyrics to every track. The vinyl release has an alternate cover art from the CD & digital versions of LIVING THINGS, too. This is definitely the best way to experience LP's latest release and sounds great! Track listing is as follows:

SIDE A:
LOST IN THE ECHO / IN MY REMAINS / BURN IT DOWN / LIES GREED MISERY / I'LL BE GONE / CASTLE OF GLASS

SIDE B:
VICTIMIZED / ROADS UNTRAVELED / SKIN TO BONE / UNTIL IT BREAKS / TINFOIL / POWERLESS

3.0 out of 5 stars 5/10 - Hear me out (2.5/5), July 8, 2012
This review is from: Living Things (Audio CD)

"Living Things" is Linkin Park's follow up album from "A Thousand Suns," making this their fifth studio album. After the release of A Thousand Suns it seemed as if the fan base was forever split. There were those that said they had sold out, and there were those who said it's part of a bands nature to evolve and mature. Don't get me wrong I agree wholeheartedly that a band must evolve so they don't make the same album over and over again. However, changing your entire sound is not the way to do that. A Thousand Suns really broke my heart because this was a band I grew up with from the beginning, they helped me through a lot and it pained me to hear something that didn't feel genuine. I tried really hard to keep an open mind with this album and while I feel this album is much better than the last, it still feels a bit stale.

Living Things starts with "Lost in the Echo" not a bad song by any means, but just like A Thousand Suns you hear a lot of electronica influence. Now I'm a man with a very wide range of musical interest, including electronica, but it just doesn't seem to fit. Overall the album plays a bigger role on musicianship than their previous release, but it's still not as prominent as it was in their first three albums.

Chester's vocals in the album don't sound as smooth as they have in the past. Whether this is because of age or just years of doing live shows I don't know, but it's obvious they are a little rough now. When they released "Burn It Down" I wasn't too impressed with it. I felt like it was a step in the right direction after the last album, kind of reminiscent of "Minutes To Midnight", but it just felt like they were going through the motions. "Burn It Down" is followed by "Lies Greed Misery" which has to be one of my least favorite songs on the album. Everything about it irritated me, from Mike's lyrics to Chester's vocals just... ugh.

"I'll Be Gone" comes next and once again is very reminiscent of the sound they created on Minutes To Midnight. It's nothing special, but if you were a fan of MTM then you'll enjoy it. One of the strongest, and shortest, songs on the album would have to be track seven "Victimized" Awkwardly placed between "Castle of Glass" and "Roads Untraveled" this heavy piece of music runs at approximately a minute and 46 seconds. One of my favorites on the album in terms of overall sound and lyrics, but it does suffer from a very lazy chorus.

I mentioned earlier my distaste for "Lies Greed Misery" but it can't beat the overall hate I feel for tracks nine and ten "Skin To Bone" and "Until It Breaks" Here are the lyrics in "Skin To Bone" that just make me cringe: "Ash to ashes, dust to dust. Skin to bone, steal to rust. Right to left, left to right. Night to day and day to night." How lazy can they be? I mean that's what majority of "Skin To Bone" consists of.

Then everything about "Until It Breaks" irritates me. Mike's back to the same "hardcore" attitude he had in A Thousand Suns. He keeps trying to act like he's some hard ass talking about guns and it gets to the point where he quotes a line from the late great Notorious B.I.G. Then after every verse we have Chester with some lame chorus that makes you laugh because here we have Mike acting hard and then Chester comes in with some soft vocals. I don't know, Mike used to rap with a purpose and a message, I just feel like that's gone now.

Standout Songs: "Victimized" & "Roads Untraveled"

Overall Score: 5/10 - As I said earlier I understand a band must grow and evolve, but just changing your sound is not how you do it. Recently I've been seeing a lot of people say that "Meteora" was just a copy of "Hybrid Theory" I don't know if we're listening to two different albums, but never once have I felt that. Overall I felt this album was extremely better than ATS, but overall the band sounds stale. I realize that we will never get the Linkin Park from 1999-2003, and that's just something I will have to painfully accept.

5.0 out of 5 stars A refreshing blend of the old and new., December 28, 2012
This review is from: Living Things (Audio CD)
Finally, it seems, Linkin Park is perfectly comfortable being Linkin Park. Infusing the experimental electronics, deeper lyrical themes and strong lyricism of "A Thousand Suns" with the hard-hitting, but now far more mature, rock of "Hybrid Theory" and "Meteora", Linkin Park has crafted a sonic masterpiece and arguably the pinnacle of their career. Drawing from elements evident in all of their albums, Linkin Park crafts a unique work most notable for a sound that is both powerful and reflective. Sonically, the electronic and melodic elements of "A Thousand Suns" and "Minutes to Midnight" couple brilliantly with the aggression of "Theory" and "Meteora", crafting truly unique tunes that are pleasant to the ear. What is so remarkable about the way in which Linkin Park pulls off this blending of old and new is that the different elements combine within individual songs themselves. "Lost In The Echo", in particular, stands out because it seamlessly combines the rap, rock, electronic and melodic elements of Linkin Park's entire career into one absolutely flooring song. "In My Remains" is another song that combines rock and electronic elements to provide an end result that sounds absolutely massive. Everything that Linkin Park ever did right sonically has been incorporated into this album, so that even if you didn't like certain parts of Linkin Park's musical journey, you realize all were essential in the band reaching this, which is clearly the sound they have always been searching for.
Lyrically, Linkin Park makes a brilliant move by examining themes previously prominent in their older works (heartbreak, loss, frustration, etc.) through the lens of the worldview the band arrived at in "A Thousand Suns". "Lost In The Echo" resolves to learn from broken promises and rise to succeed in the future. "In My Remains" uses a moment of broken tragedy to "set the silence free, and wash away the worst of me". To see the continuation of the recurring theme from "Thousand Suns" of tragedy being a catalyst for positive change is fantastic. "I'll Be Gone" looks forward to new horizons, while "Castle of Glass" uses beautiful and spiritual imagery to portray a longing for wholeness. "Victimized" resolves to never again allow one's self to be abused and taken advantage of, and "Roads Untraveled" is a beautiful tribute to the idea that when something falls apart, it is simply because fate and destiny have declared it not to be, and that one should resolve to continue loving, for the empty seat next to you is now and opportunity to befriend someone else. "Until It Breaks" brilliantly contrasts discordant rap verses with beautiful, even choral-like refrains, reflecting on the tragic realities of the world with the noble aspirations we should strive for. "Powerless" closes the album in a beautiful, moving fashion, recalling how often times true, innocent love can be taken advantage of by evil in the world, but when the song ends with a massive sonic experience that draws to mind cathedrals (partially thanks to the repeating instrumental theme of organs that surfaces several times in the album) the listener is left feeling, oddly, empowered.
Linkin Park seems to have arrived at the conclusion that life is hard, life hurts, that we are all "living things" that suffer heartbreak and disappointments. Ultimately, though, those failures should push us to "let the rest be the tale they tell", as the band so aptly says. With the rare perfect meshing of sound and meaning, I certainly can't wait to see what the "rest" is that Linkin Park will tell in the future.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great turnaround from Minutes to Midnight, December 1, 2012
This review is from: Living Things (MP3 Music)
I've been a big Linkin Park fan since a little after "Hybrid Theory". To date, "Meteora" remains my favorite Linkin Park album. When I listened to "Minutes to Midnight" and "A Thousand Suns", I was a bit disappointed. It wasn't the Linkin Park I knew as they tried to go for the more "adult" sound. The problem with that is that they try to be more political. "Living Things" actually hearkens back to the "Meteora" days while still preserving their new sound. The result is something closer to party rock than anything LMFAO would ever do with more lyrical substance too. Linkin Park's lyrics are much sharper than before, especially in "Lies Greed Misery". Mike Shinoda's rapping reminds me so much of "Meteora", and the music sounds like a better version of "I Can Transform Ya" by Chris Brown.

But it doesn't stop there. On the most poignant of songs, he actually does sing. And to be honest, these songs have to be the best on the album. The two songs are "Castle of Glass", which is so minimalist compared to Linkin Park's other songs yet so emotionally poignant, and "Roads Untraveled", possibly the most poetic song they've ever written and by far their best song to date. The lyrics and the music prove so beautiful and so powerful, and Chester and Mike compliment each other so well.

Much of their other songs sound pretty similar to what they've done in the past. "Burn it Down" almost mirrors "What I've Done" and "New Divide". Needless to say, Linkin Park fans will enjoy this album as its truer to their roots without forsaking their new direction.

If the album itself doesn't satisfy your tastes, definitely get these songs:
"Burn it Down"
"Lies Greed Misery"
"Castle of Glass"
"Roads Untraveled"
"Powerless"

Living Things
Living Things by Linkin Park (Audio CD - 2012)