5.0 out of 5 stars Are You On the Right Track?
Are you on the right track? Do you wonder about why you love doing certain things and dislike others? Do you wonder why you react in certain ways? Are your looking for a better way to make right decisions, enjoy peace of mind, and live in harmony with others. This may be the book for you.

The Catholic edition of "Living Your Strengths" is an extension of...
Published on June 25, 2008 by Thomas M. Loarie

3.0 out of 5 stars Don't buy used.
Published on February 22, 2010 by RG

5.0 out of 5 stars Are You On the Right Track?, June 25, 2008

The Catholic edition of "Living Your Strengths" is an extension of "strengths" research begun more than forty years ago by Dr. Donald Clifton of the Gallup Organization. Clifton researched the natural patterns of thought, feeling, and action of two million people in more than 25 countries. The result is the Clifton StrengthsFinder, a tool that reveals a person's top five themes of talent - one's Signature Themes.

The Signature Themes are unique to the individual. According to Gallup, the chance of finding someone with your Signature Themes, in the same order, is 1 in 33 million and the chance of finding someone with your top ten themes of talent is 1 in 3 trillion. Finding one's themes and understanding their uniqueness should help one to gain a better appreciation of how special they are and how special the people around them are - deeper self-respect, deeper mutual respect.

The book is organized around the use of the StrengthsFinder (provided with the purchase of the book) to assess and affirm our talents, and how to use our talents for growth and service. There are thirty four identified talents ranging from achiever, maximizer, ideation, individualization, and significance to woo.

This edition of "Living Your Strengths" is aimed at Catholic parishes and parishioners and incorporates language familiar to Catholic audiences. The authors believe it will unravel the adventure we have been on since we were born - the adventure God gave us - and will help us realize our potential as God intended.

Participants have three reactions to taking the StrengthsFinder:
* Amazement at its accuracy
* Genuine surprise - "perceived weaknesses are really valuable talents"
* Gratitude

Most of us generally are not harnessing the power of our innate gifts. We are not fulfilling God's purpose...and we do not even know it! "Living Your Strengths" provides a tool so we can assess these God-given talents and harness them in the betterment of ourselves, our families, and the various communities we participate in.

3.0 out of 5 stars Don't buy used., February 22, 2010
RG "rg" (San AntonioTexas) - See all my reviews
Well I'm not sure if it was written in the book description or not, but the web-based assessment that this book is tied to, requires the purchase of a NEW book. Once the code is used to register at the website it is void, and codes cannot be purchased independently. Anyone buying this book used is not getting the complete purchase and unless you purchase another product allowing you access, a used book is relatively uninspired. Oh well, lesson learned.

2.0 out of 5 stars Beware: In the used books there is no Clifton Strength Finder Assessment, September 25, 2010
This review is from: Living Your Strengths - Discover Your God-given Talents And Inspire Your Community (Hardcover)
The book is awesome but there was no warning that the Clifton Strength Finder Assessment was already used. If I had known, I would have bought a new book instead. The whole point of the book is to discover your strengths through this assessment. It makes having the book pretty useless if you bought it for that reason.

5.0 out of 5 stars Life Changing!, August 4, 2012
I happened on this book by accident. I had been reading a number of leadership/management books, which all referred to First, Break All the Rules: What the World's Greatest Managers Do Differently. I had never heard of the book. I was also very reluctant to buy the book. The title just did not sit right with me. I sounded like a course in insubordination, rebelliousness or something. Nevertheless, my curiosity got the best of me.

I broke down. The book was excellent. So were the number of books published in its wake: StrengthsFinder 2.0, Now, Discover Your Strengths, Go Put Your Strengths to Work: 6 Powerful Steps to Achieve Outstanding Performance, and StandOut: The Groundbreaking New Strengths Assessment from the Leader of the Strengths Revolution (which I have not yet read, but I'm sure comes from the same mold). It talked about the four keys of great managers: selecting people for talents or "recurring patterns of behavior;" defining the right outcomes by turning talents into performance; focusing on strengths and not on weaknesses; and, finding the right fit to give people the greatest chance for success. These conclusions and others were derived from the Gallup Organization analyzing data collected over 25 years from interviews of 80,000 managers and 1,000,000 staff members from 400 companies.

The authors' emphasis on strengths, led me to take the Clifton Strengthfinders test. To my surprise, when printing out the results, it listed my 5 top strengths. It briefly, but accurately described "me!" I printed out copies and gave them to people who knew me well. I asked them what came to mind when reading it. They all said it described me, and how I work, and what makes me tick, and what I do best.

Later, I happened onto Living Your Strengths - Discover Your God-given Talents And Inspire Your Community. It drew from all the books that I had previously read on this subject. Basically, it had the same approach, but this book was particularly focused on helping people in Church communities to discover their own talents, based on the Clifton Strengthfinders test and all of the prior Gallup research, and put them to use.

I have been using this book ever since. Like and with the others, it had quickly taught me to focus on my strengths and find success through them, ignoring my weaknesses which were not worth the time and effort to even try to change. It also gave me a tool to give to others to help them to do the same, to look at life through a different perspective, to find success where they may not have sought it previously, and to become a valuable member to their community and society.

This particular version has been geared to the Catholic Church community, incorporating things that would be peculiarly recognized or appreciated by them. There is also a more generic version available: Living Your Strengths: Discover Your God-Given Talents and Inspire Your Community.

N.B. There is a sort of mystery behind this whole, let's say, movement that has appeared as followers of these books on "strengths" and their approach. I believe it stays as mystery until one actually takes the Clifton Strengthfinders test themselves. There is a code in each new book to allow one to do so (it may already be used in most used books). In fact the book specifically stops you at one point and directs you to take it, after which, I believe is followed by personal surprise over its exactness.

I do not think you will be disappointed.

4.0 out of 5 stars Know yourself, March 17, 2010
This book details the specific elements and behaviors of several personality types. I is written in an easy to read format, headings for the different personality types are clear. The types are based on positive psychology. The reader is given options to maximize ones own talents and suggestions on how to approach other personality types in conflict resoloution. This is not a "read through" type of book. It is the type of book that needs to be read, then portions thought about and applied to ones behavior. The result is an increased effectiveness in dealing with others and minimizing ones own annoying or intimidating behavior in interpersonal communication. My husband and I each bought a book and took the questionaire, the results were accurate and excellent revelation and discussion points for how we approached situations differently with our preferred strategies.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent resource, October 6, 2013
Frank Nicodem (Fort Mill, SC United States) - See all my reviews
Very good book; discusses what is often overlooked in one's career -- defining "who they are". What their character is. Not what they've been taught -- such as carpentry, computer programming, finances, auto repair, etc. But what their basic character strengths are. We use it in a local job support networking group, to help folks figure out what they should really be looking for in a job. But it's an excellent resource for everyone, in any situation. If someone were to ask you point-blank, could you tell them your 5 greatest characteristic strengths?

5.0 out of 5 stars WORTH EVERY CENT!, January 18, 2013
This book was a fast read, with everlasting and wide range effects. I recommend it for anyone highschool age or older. Even if you are not a religious person, this book has so many applications. It's fun to read it with a spouse, an entire family or a close group of friends or co workers (everyone needs their own book).

4.0 out of 5 stars Problem Resolved, January 3, 2012
I accidentally reviewed this item, and I don't want to review it. Sorry, but this review is a waste, and I don't know how to delete it.

Used & New from: $0.01